Stretching PS1 games like on PSP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts

Hey guys, just got my PS3 so im pretty new to it all.

Got some PSone classics off PSN and just wondering if I can stretch them out to PROPER full screen without any borders, like I can on my PSP? Rather than the "Full screen" option the PS3 gives you which has big old black borders around the whole thing. Just thought if they give the option on PSP, why not on PS3?

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

Yes, I believe when you press the PS button while playing a PS1 game there is an option that lets you do that, if I remember correctly.

zey2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zey2k
Member since 2004 • 266 Posts

hmm i haven't played many psx games but i never had that problem. the only thing i can advice is, check out the home menu when your in the game if you see an option to turn it to 16:9 or if the ps3 is configured to using a 16:9 tv.

I'm no expert, hope someone can help you better.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hotwire246

Yes, I believe when you press the PS button while playing a PS1 game there is an option that lets you do that, if I remember correctly.

amsfm6
If I press the PS button and go to "Other Settings", the only display settings I can choose from are "Normal" which is 4:3, or "Full Screen" which is widescreen but with borders. On the PSP it lets you completely customize the height and width of the screen to whatever you want, meaning I could fill out the entire PSP screen leaving no borders.
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amsfm6

[QUOTE="amsfm6"]

Hotwire246

If I press the PS button and go to "Other Settings", the only display settings I can choose from are "Normal" which is 4:3, or "Full Screen" which is widescreen but with borders. On the PSP it lets you completely customize the height and width of the screen to whatever you want, meaning I could fill out the entire PSP screen leaving no borders.

Hmmm...well I'm pretty sure I got it to fill the whole screen somehow. I'm not at my PS3 at the moment or I would check. It was an actual PS1 disc if that matters, but it shouldn't.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

I don't know if all games have this but there's also a "smoothing" option which makes textures look less jaggedy which might also help a bit.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hotwire246
[QUOTE="amsfm6"]

[QUOTE="Hotwire246"][QUOTE="amsfm6"]

Hmmm...well I'm pretty sure I got it to fill the whole screen somehow. I'm not at my PS3 at the moment or I would check. It was an actual PS1 disc if that matters, but it shouldn't.

Was this on a 60gb/80gb PS3? It might be different as I've got a 120gb slim which I think might emulate PSone games differently. Or maybe the discs do get upscaled differently. It's not that bad, I mean the borders arent massive or anything, it's just sort of annoying as I like the image to fill the whole screen. @ zey2k, As far as I can tell, all my settings are on 16:9. PSP has Normal, Full Screen and Custom options as opposed to just Normal and Full Screen. Maybe the old PS3s have "Custom"?
Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hotwire246
Just tried an old PSone copy of Street Fighter Ex 2 Plus I had lying around (didn't know my PS3 even played PS1 discs, so that's good to know!) and it's the same. "Full Screen" with borders. And @ thattotally, I've got smoothing on also, but it's really just the borders I would like to get rid of. I don't think there's a way to do it :\. I just find it odd that they included it on PSP and not PS3. Maybe they could add it in an update.
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 amsfm6

Okay I had to check. I have the same settings, normal for 4:3 and fullscreen, but fullscreen gives me the full widescreen with no borders. This was with MGS though, perhaps not all games will do that.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hotwire246

Okay I had to check. I have the same settings, normal for 4:3 and fullscreen, but fullscreen gives me the full widescreen with no borders. This was with MGS though, perhaps not all games will do that.

amsfm6
Thanks for checking. That's odd. I tried Final Fantasy VII and James Pond 2 and Street Fighter EX2 Plus - All had borders. What resolution is your PS3 set to? I've got mine on 1080i.
NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts
Why would you want to ruin your gameplay experience like that?
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts

What kind of T.V. do you have? If you have a widescreen tv then you wont be able to get rid of the boarders.. as "full screen" setting on a wide-screen tv produces an image that would be "full screen" on a normal t.v. meaning the extra space on the left and right side of the screen that is blocked off wouldn't be there on a full screen t.v... you would want to set it to "widescreen".. IF that option even exists. I have a 50'' widescreen tv and I get the very small black borders on the left and right side of the screen, not a big deal for me. But I can understand the issue some people may have.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

I think the borders are there to make the PS1 games look slighty better with a smaller screen. Have those borders always been there? I could of sworn they wern't there before. PS1 games looked pretty ugly and pixeled without them on a HDTV.

NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NotAFurry

I think the borders are there to make the PS1 games look slighty better with a smaller screen. Have those borders always been there? I could of sworn they wern't there before. PS1 games looked pretty ugly and pixeled without them on a HDTV.

Dahaka-UK
Ummm, no, it's because the PS1 games are 4:3 and HDTV is 16:9, so without the borders, you're ruining the visual presentation of a game completely.
Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hotwire246
[QUOTE="NotAFurry"][QUOTE="Dahaka-UK"]

Ummm, no, it's because the PS1 games are 4:3 and HDTV is 16:9, so without the borders, you're ruining the visual presentation of a game completely.

I can see why that might be true, but isn't PSP 16:9? And stretched out to cover the whole screen it looks fine...
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

I have to stretch the image on my TV instead of the PS3, I think.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hotwire246

zaphod_b
Hmmm I haven't tried that. Dunno if my TV has any other options apart from 4:3, 4:3 zoomed and 16:9. I'll give it a shot though. Good idea.
NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NotAFurry
[QUOTE="zaphod_b"]

Hotwire246
Hmmm I haven't tried that. Dunno if my TV has any other options apart from 4:3, 4:3 zoomed and 16:9. I'll give it a shot though. Good idea.

Those won't work, but if you have Auto, maybe that'll work. It's your funeral, though.