Soul Calibur 4 causing problems with the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deed12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deed12
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm the only person with this problem, but everytime I try to play online with SC4, ranked or unranked, and search/make a match, I will get an error that says "Cannot Connect to Network" and then if I try to use the circle button to leave the mode or try to exit the game, SC4 will freeze and my ps3 will restart by itself. Then when I go back into SC4 the second time, no problems. And this only happens if I turn off my PS3, as if it restarts the whole process. To add on to this problem, it seems to be slipping into my other games such as BF:BC, MGO, and CoD4, where I can get online and play just fine, but if I try to leave it will freeze and restart my PS3.

So is this damaging my PS3 and can I fix it?

DirtyHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DirtyHorse
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts
i dont have any problems. it plays fine online and offline on my ps3.
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts

it froze on me once when I tried to exit online play after not being able to connect,

but I was playing online last night and it was fine, though, Ive only tried to play online twice, I just had the game 2 days ago so hopefully it wont freeze again

Solarburn24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solarburn24
Member since 2004 • 1643 Posts
No problems here at all
420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 420Token420
Member since 2007 • 5173 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm the only person with this problem, but everytime I try to play online with SC4, ranked or unranked, and search/make a match, I will get an error that says "Cannot Connect to Network" and then if I try to use the circle button to leave the mode or try to exit the game, SC4 will freeze and my ps3 will restart by itself. Then when I go back into SC4 the second time, no problems. And this only happens if I turn off my PS3, as if it restarts the whole process. To add on to this problem, it seems to be slipping into my other games such as BF:BC, MGO, and CoD4, where I can get online and play just fine, but if I try to leave it will freeze and restart my PS3.

Deed12

When will people realize the GAMES themselves don't screw up your console .. theres a different issue you have .. could be multiple things .. router, connection, PS3 itself .. and so on.

kazamadevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kazamadevil
Member since 2008 • 328 Posts
Dunno, plays fine for me but have to admit its hard to connect to someone to battle with game session full and network errors but none that disconnect.
ShunnX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShunnX7
Member since 2008 • 148 Posts

Im pretty sure you had the same trouble like my friend, he just bought a new router. and its going 100% good now :P

So maybe can be that..

Chalgyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 Chalgyr
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

I'm getting an identical problem with my copy as well, and so is a friend of mine - we have completely different routers - he has a Netgear and I have a ******. Neither of us has been able to connect via search or to one another, and whenever either of us tries to back out of the game with the cirlce button, our systems freeze and force us to hard boot the system. You can eject the disc, but can't get any response from the controller.

Interestingly enough, we both have limited online capability - we were both able to view our rankings from the Tower Descent and able to view the top ranked people from the multiplayer rankings as well. I was able to download and install the accessories pack as well without a hitch (he has not, so it's probably not that).

I did contact their support department this morning so I'll let you know if they give me a resolution that works. :)

neovalkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 neovalkyr
Member since 2003 • 1097 Posts
[QUOTE="Deed12"]

420Token420

When will people realize the GAMES themselves don't screw up your console .. theres a different issue you have .. could be multiple things .. router, connection, PS3 itself .. and so on.

yah exactly, software is like your brain, where as hardware is your phyical body. Can you mentally break your fingers, or legs?

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Soul_obsever
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Ah dude, you couldn't be further from wrong. I was a video game tester and I can tell you that games can constantly be responsible for hard locks, crashes, etc.

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Soul_obsever

I'm having the same problem, and the error code that I get has only been correlated with Soul Caliber 4. Also, one time I was playing online my frame rate dropped dramatically even though I went ahead and switched to a wired connection. I think there are a lot of bugs that need to be resolved on game play. Just as an example, what's up with doing quick match and being sent to a full room? One word for that "BUG"! If anyone does find away around this by chance please let me know. Someone mentioned changing your DNS ports to known open ones, so I did that, but to no avail!

setherez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 setherez

Is it that ur disc got some problem? Your country is very strict on pirated games? I dunno, but my ggame is perfectly fine. What i wanna whine about is that some of the people in SC4 has fcking laggy internet which you will lose without any ability to counter any moves! Go change the disc with the person who sell you the disc! ^^

itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

Are you hardwired or wireless?

If hardwired check your connections for lose connectors or bad wires and have them replaced.

If wireless, limit the amoutn of wireless devices you have runnig at the time your are trying to play online.Sometimes, PC's kick them out, PSP,PDA's, Blakberrys, they are all trying to establish an IP and a port and this may cause some interference.

In both cases may sure your Router/Switch is operating correctly.

8)

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

I'm having the same problem, and the error code that I get has only been correlated with Soul Caliber 4. Also, one time I was playing online my frame rate dropped dramatically even though I went ahead and switched to a wired connection. I think there are a lot of bugs that need to be resolved on game play. Just as an example, what's up with doing quick match and being sent to a full room? One word for that "BUG"! If anyone does find away around this by chance please let me know. Someone mentioned changing your DNS ports to known open ones, so I did that, but to no avail!

Soul_obsever

:lol: I hate that. "The match is fool" find me another room then. Other then that I am having no major problems with online play. Someone mentioned a netgear router. From my experience with Netgear they don't work well because they constantly loose connections. I know people say D-Link routers suck but I have had the best luck with them while gaming.

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Soul_obsever

Are you hardwired or wireless?

If hardwired check your connections for lose connectors or bad wires and have them replaced.

If wireless, limit the amoutn of wireless devices you have runnig at the time your are trying to play online.Sometimes, PC's kick them out, PSP,PDA's, Blakberrys, they are all trying to establish an IP and a port and this may cause some interference.

In both cases may sure your Router/Switch is operating correctly.

8)

itwiz90

I was wireless, but because of these problems I went straight to Ethernet; still having the same problems. Today I'm going to try going straight to the modem and not the router via USB. I'll let you know if it works!

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Soul_obsever

Is it that ur disc got some problem? Your country is very strict on pirated games? I dunno, but my ggame is perfectly fine. What i wanna whine about is that some of the people in SC4 has fcking laggy internet which you will lose without any ability to counter any moves! Go change the disc with the person who sell you the disc! ^^

setherez

I have no problems with my disc. It's in perfect condition. My internet is great; yet one game I got on and was having a drop in frame rate; I don't know why. The person I was playing against thought it was me, and I thought it was him. I'm telling you, I really just think they need to get there crap togeather and give us a new update to smooth things over.

Chalgyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chalgyr

Hello again.

I've tried wireless and wired and both are having issues. I did notice one thing with further testing last night - If I tried to find a quick match I got the message "Failed to Connect" each time, and when I hit the circle button it backed out fine - I tested this a couple of dozen times. However, I went ahead and tried to do a 'create session' and got the message "Connection Timed Out' - if I then hit the circle button to back out, the system locked up - 3 out of 3 times.

I am using a router, and that may be the issue but a) I need to if I go wireless and b) I need to in general because we only have one point of internet and we're running multiple machines including 2 wiresless devices off of it. Still, it is odd that I can semi-connect to their servers - I can view high ranking scores, I get updated on the score list when doing tower descent, and I can view myself and friends on the descent list - it's only when trying to connect to some sort of match play that things go crazy.

I am still waiting on tech support to get back to me. I did get a message back yesterday afternoon just asking what version of the ps3 firmware I was using and what version of the soulcalibur 4 update I was using (2.42 and 1.01 respectively), and included my recent findings last night as well to them, but no word back since.

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Soul_obsever

Hello again.

I've tried wireless and wired and both are having issues. I did notice one thing with further testing last night - If I tried to find a quick match I got the message "Failed to Connect" each time, and when I hit the circle button it backed out fine - I tested this a couple of dozen times. However, I went ahead and tried to do a 'create session' and got the message "Connection Timed Out' - if I then hit the circle button to back out, the system locked up - 3 out of 3 times.

I am using a router, and that may be the issue but a) I need to if I go wireless and b) I need to in general because we only have one point of internet and we're running multiple machines including 2 wiresless devices off of it. Still, it is odd that I can semi-connect to their servers - I can view high ranking scores, I get updated on the score list when doing tower descent, and I can view myself and friends on the descent list - it's only when trying to connect to some sort of match play that things go crazy.

I am still waiting on tech support to get back to me. I did get a message back yesterday afternoon just asking what version of the ps3 firmware I was using and what version of the soulcalibur 4 update I was using (2.42 and 1.01 respectively), and included my recent findings last night as well to them, but no word back since.

Chalgyr

Well I look forward to seeing what they say!

Chalgyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chalgyr

It wasn't much. I just heard back and all they said was - well, it may be your router. Bypass it and hook up directly to your cable modem (not really an option since there's a large distance between them and I use wireless on my ps3).

They also suggested I run a connection test on the PS3 and look for the NAT type to come back as Nat 2 or preferably Nat 1.

I'll do some router configuration later and see if I can find a way around this - I asked for any other configuration options from their support as well, since again - I can't really hook it up via lan connection the way my house is set up.

- Chalgyr

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Soul_obsever
Was that Soul Caliber 4 support or Playstation 3?
lextexrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lextexrex
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts

it froze on me once when I tried to exit online play after not being able to connect,

but I was playing online last night and it was fine, though, Ive only tried to play online twice, I just had the game 2 days ago so hopefully it wont freeze again

johnlennon28

ive had the same thing happen.

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Soul_obsever

Buh? What are you talking about baka! Just because some have problems, doesn't mean they all do. Count yourself lucky moron. We certainly don't need comments from the peanut gallery...

ChaosBlader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChaosBlader1
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

OMg another ps3 problem.

someone should write a petetion or something to sony.

I mean what are our updates for to make it look like their doing something

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Soul_obsever

OMg another ps3 problem.

someone should write a petetion or something to sony.

I mean what are our updates for to make it look like their doing something

ChaosBlader1

I can't help but to feel as though this is a Namco problem due to the fact that the error code I get has only been associated with SC4 and that I've spoken to xBox users who are also having problems...

ChaosBlader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChaosBlader1
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts
they are i didnt hear about that DArn YOU NAMCO those ****
Chalgyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chalgyr

'ello again.

To answer your question - this is Namco support; and they have been pretty sluggish in their replies. I also suspect the issue is their servers and how they are detecting connection info, since I've been able to connect to other multiplayer games in the past. I did however, resolve the issue last night and notified the tech at Namco with my findings and never heard back after, but meh.

Anyways - there were potentially two settinsg messing up my connection to their servers. My connectivity test was coming back as the NAT type not being found, so I went into my router settings and pulled down the pre-enabled router (I have plenty of security on my computers, so it really isn't needed on the router I figured) and I actived a feature that was off by default called PnUP or something like that. Not sure which of these did the trick (my hunch is the firewall) - but afterward I ran the detection test and I came back as reading Nat 2 from the PS3.

So, I hopped in and did a few quick matches (I REALLY stink against players it would seem, lol!) - and was not only able to connect but also able to back out of the custom matches without getting the freeze. Lag was pretty much minimal and the only oddity was what I read earlier about how the server likes to throw you into rooms that are full - they really should polish that connectivity piece up, but otherwise it seems as though I am good to go now. For those with the same problem, I would look into those settings on your router and then see if your ps3 connectivity test can read your NAT value.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having this same problem.

(I also hope I get better at playing other players, hehe).

Take care,

- Chal

Chalgyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chalgyr

...so I went into my router settings and pulled down the pre-enabled router (I have plenty of security on my computers, so it really isn't needed on the router I figured) and ...Chalgyr

Sorry - I didn't catch my mistake here before I posted it and can't see a means of editing my post - I'm airly new here. Anywho - I meant to say" and pulled down the pre-enabled router FIREWALL. Just wanted to be specific for those who might see the same issue on their end.

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Soul_obsever
Yosh! I will try that after work today and see how it goes. Thanks for the update! :D
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

I get the same thing with the 360 version, Minus the freezing. It has never froze on me, but I have a sweet Wireless-N router and a great connection...Yet I always get Game is full or Failed to Join errors. I think it's just the crappy multiplayer system they setup.

It's horrible anyway, you get to play 1 ranked game then it boots you both back out. Ranked is completely trash, you don't get penalized for disconnecting so people just pull the plug if you're spanking them. The Player Matches are great, other than the host booting you out for beating them.

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Soul_obsever
Yeah, I don't like how you can't replay the same person under Ranked Match. Especially when they kick your ass; I mean the first thing you want to do is rematch.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Yeah, I don't like how you can't replay the same person under Ranked Match. Especially when they kick your ass; I mean the first thing you want to do is rematch. Soul_obsever

Exactly, everyone on the 360 forum swears you can rematch in ranked, but they obviously haven't played the game.

I hate losing to some cheesey tactics in ranked, only to be booted out and not even have a chance to redeem yourself. Rematch would have been so nice. I guess it's some sort of anti-boosting.

I think they should have made the ranked a tournament system. Like you have to wait for 16 players to join a game, then you go through and play your matches and watch everyone elses. You get to study your opponents, plan strategies ... etc. I mean isn't that what fighters are all about?

Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Soul_obsever
That's a great idea! I can't stand when some cheezes out; It just makes me want to smash them into the ground even harder and then over kill. hehe One plus side is that updates are a possiblility. So maybe (I'm crossing my fingers), we'll get some updates here that will smooth this whole mess over. That seems to be the name of the game these days, release broken, fix later. Though, everyone seems to think that I have too much faith in them. :)
handsomebouy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 handsomebouy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hello,i'm new to this site,i have been playing cod4 online for four months with no problems at all,i bought SC4 ( a legit one i must add)last week,played single player mode for a few hours then tried to go online-my ps3 crashed,now i wont play any games or dvd's without crashing,i'm gutted.
Deed12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Deed12
Ok think i found a way around this problem now after a week of fidiling with connections and the PS3 itself. Basically first of all if your game still freezes turn it off yourself, don't wait for the PS3 to turn itself off, than when you next boot up your PS3 make sure that your signed on to PSN before starting the game, and after that make sure you don't disconnect before you reach what ever mode of online you play. This should not give the error message that freezes the game. This has worked for me so far, but i dunno if some of you are doing this already and are still having the problem.
Deed12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Deed12
Well my trick to getting around the problem just failed. Now I get a new message saying "Failed to Connect" and then it freezes and I have to reboot. Looks as if I'm not going to be playing online with SC4 for awhile...
handsomebouy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 handsomebouy
me too,i sent mine back for a refund,talked to scee and they told me it must be a faulty disc,sounds like bs to me.
Soul_obsever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Soul_obsever
Ever since I got the update I haven't had any problems getting booted off.
handsomebouy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 handsomebouy
is that the update from playstation@network mate,do you know the version number?
Deed12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Deed12
lol my troubles really started after the 1.02 update if thats the update you mean. I'm thinking of borrowing my friends copy and seeing if there is a difference or if that "faulty disc" thing is just bs.
84montecarlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 84montecarlo
Member since 2006 • 241 Posts

i got on here just to see if anyone else was having this problem it makes mine freeze all the time and most of the time i cant even get connected but GTA4 works fine. wierd i dont have a clue????