Sooo MGS4 love it or leave it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

analog10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 analog10
Member since 2003 • 377 Posts

Me? Leave it. For me there was waaaay to much boring cut scenes and not enough gameplay. The story was silly and I was skipping cut scenes on my first play through. I'm struggling on my second play through and I personally had more fun with MGS3. The game is good and I like the way I can choose how to play it to a certain degree but I think that maybe my hopes were to high.

I'd like to hear from others that feel the same way. As for the fans of the game feel free to point out what you think is good about it and how it has moved forward besides the online component.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
love it, the game was extremely satisfying for me
Avatar image for JustinCredible_
JustinCredible_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JustinCredible_
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts
It was really a great game but after you beat the amazing story mode online is kind of fun but after a long while of playing it online it can turn sadly into a leave it video game.
ZeroCool000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZeroCool000111
Member since 2003 • 32 Posts
leave it.
unhollykilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 unhollykilla
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts

LOVE IT

mfleury87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mfleury87
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts
I can safely say MGS4 is one of my favorite games of all-time.
Yng-ePIc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yng-ePIc
Member since 2005 • 804 Posts
Loved it! I'm currently on my third play-through.
ShawDowFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 ShawDowFX
Member since 2003 • 4696 Posts

inbetween, play it once and then leave it.

The story seriously sucks, there's no codec moments like previous games and the gameplay is rehash from MGS3 and MGS2. The only thing that "was different" is the 3 person mode to for shooting. Which is "bleh".

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
u guys just cant appreciate a great game huh? all u do or want is run and gun run and gun with no story? well i loved it, on my 6th play through, this game is by far the best game i have ever played since god of war 2 and chain of olympus. sadly u guys cant see why this game is great, and MGS series was all about story like a movie basically. and the codec yea ok ill agree with u there but if ur complaining about the cut scenes then wtf u think the codec is, its a cut scene with them talkin through codec instead of the way kojima put the game where its more like a movie and less like cut scene (hopefully i kinda explained it right lol) but yea man no offense to u and other that are dissing a great game, but i guess not all games are ment for everyone
mrjonnyringo72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 mrjonnyringo72
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts
Man you are all crazy right now! F'n LOVE IT!!!! RAWRRRRR!!!! to your a**!
analog10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 analog10
Member since 2003 • 377 Posts

I'm not trying to diss the game (or it's fans) I just want to hear why it is the greatest game you ever played. For me the story was not compelling enough for me to sit through it, though I was touched by some of the later scenes.

I'd like to hear why people love it so much not just stating that they do. And more interestingly why people like me are not that thrilled.

mrjonnyringo72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 mrjonnyringo72
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts

Dude the saga is just way too much too explain, you have to play every game in the series.

Have you?

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Leave it. I, personally, didn't like the gameplay or story, but some scenes were touching and well done.
sacredBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 sacredBed
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts
as a movie and game longtime fan. MGS4 is the 4th best game I ever played. And I have played through most what many consider the best games of all time. Kojima: Movie master and Game master. I understood all teh references and themes. Constant satisfaction in every act.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
MAKE love to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

I'm not trying to diss the game (or it's fans) I just want to hear why it is the greatest game you ever played. For me the story was not compelling enough for me to sit through it, though I was touched by some of the later scenes.

I'd like to hear why people love it so much not just stating that they do. And more interestingly why people like me are not that thrilled.

analog10

Basically, the people who don't appreciate this game are the ones who ARE NOT fans of the series. They are the people who expected MGS4 to be a crazy run n' gunner with explosions everywhere (cough, COD 4...cough). There you go ;)

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dazzzilla
Member since 2006 • 1246 Posts
Its an amazing game I feel that it might be the best game ever made and if it dosent win game of the year then there must be something wrong with the judges, it is simply amazing its unique and cinematic in every single way :P from when you turn it on you get this Dolby Logo Cutscene you would only expect to get in a movie :P to the endine which im about a few cutscenes away.
hxcpride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hxcpride
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts
love it to bits! in every way and every shape!
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts

love it to bits! in every way and every shape!hxcpride

I have to agree here. MGS4 is my most loved game in my collection period. The only time I would leave it is when it is in my PS3.

legofan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 legofan712
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
Loved it :) Beat it 4 times, and own the limited edition :D
SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts

Me? Leave it. For me there was waaaay to much boring cut scenes and not enough gameplay. The story was silly and I was skipping cut scenes on my first play through. I'm struggling on my second play through and I personally had more fun with MGS3. The game is good and I like the way I can choose how to play it to a certain degree but I think that maybe my hopes were to high.

I'd like to hear from others that feel the same way. As for the fans of the game feel free to point out what you think is good about it and how it has moved forward besides the online component.

analog10

too bad.

love it.

kc666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kc666
Member since 2003 • 102 Posts
First 3D MGS on PSX was awsome, I hoped that sequel will be just as good, well I was wrong, it sucked a bit. I didn't get into 3 as well. Then I got a PS3 and 4th installment. First 2 hours were quite lame, invisible walls and story that didn't make much sense, but after that time, the rest was breathtaking ! Especially the second half, marvelous, all in all after finishing the game Im stunned. Yup, IT IS BETTER than MGS1 on PSX IMO ... which means a LOT : ) So why do I like it so much ? Well, story keeps you guessing through the most part, design is outstanding, all the concepts behind the game are really well done, outstanding graphics, music, a lot of THAT KIND OF MOMENTS, and when you get involved with the story you are sad when it ends and youre craving for more. Only other game that left me with this kind of feeling was FF7.
michelle341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 michelle341
Member since 2008 • 734 Posts
love it..best game I have ever played im my life..a must have for every ps3 owner
saintpatrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 saintpatrice
Member since 2004 • 218 Posts

I'd have to say it is the greatest game i've ever played.

I honestly think most people who didn't like it were new to the series. Not all of course (Topic creator xD). The story is defenitely hard to take in if you haven't played all the other ones and followed it to a T. I as well am on my 6th play through and can't get enough of it.

The graphics = best looking game to date. (Arguable)

The gameplay = again daunting task to newcomers but personally i thought it just improved on every other MGS.

Story = 3rd time... very daunting task to newcomers. I think it is one of the greatest stories ever told and i was very sad to reach the ending of this game.

Presentation = Startin to sound like a broken record here. The presentation is again...u guessed it...dauting. If you thought the story and cutscenes in the previous MGS games were too much...you're goin to find the same thing here. I personally love how story driven it is. The amazing story-telling combined with the re-vamped (no pun intended! har har!) gameplay mechanics made this a perfect experience for me.

I can completely understand the people saying leave it. Its alot to take in. Especially if you havent played the previous games. but to anyone who owns a PS3...get it.

Crystall3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crystall3d
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts

seriously , you dont have to be a runNgunner fan to criticise this game , although my most fav game is uncharted , it was its fluid controls, not the content...

snake was like a "mech robot" off lost planet , the new camera angle did not feel good , the sharp animations were too close to the camera this time ,

no matter what , the shoulder and first person camera speed felt slow ,

i could barely see the enemy in fps mode , gun was all over the screen

some cut scenes were pure silly ( akiba's power ranger stance when first met)

the "rage , rage,rage"scream was dull and empty, the boss fights were boring compared to previous games

there was no codec at all!!

however i was deeply moved on return to shadow moses , i flashed back 10 years or more , back to my apartment playing mgs 1 , how surprised i was about psycho mantis...

anyway i dont want to black-prop this game anymore , i grade it as ONE game and that is "GO" from me

riceboyzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 riceboyzz
Member since 2004 • 138 Posts

love it, althought the some of the cutscenes was pretty silly but meh, long time mgs fan love the story. aww man and going back to shadow mosses brings back a lot of memories, also the rex vs ray boss match was one of the best, not to mention the endgame fight between the two snakes. just and awsome serires, was a ps3 seller for me.

sorry about all the run on sentence or whatever too tired right now.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50597 Posts

Love it in every way.

MGS4 is just below FF7 as my fav. game.

godofwar2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 godofwar2610
Member since 2008 • 577 Posts
One of the greatest games of all time.
saintpatrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 saintpatrice
Member since 2004 • 218 Posts

love it, althought the some of the cutscenes was pretty silly but meh, long time mgs fan love the story. aww man and going back to shadow mosses brings back a lot of memories, also the rex vs ray boss match was one of the best, not to mention the endgame fight between the two snakes. just and awsome serires, was a ps3 seller for me.

sorry about all the run on sentence or whatever too tired right now.

riceboyzz

Going back to shadow moses...i seriously almost cried. So amazing.

USMC_Sn1per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 USMC_Sn1per
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts
love it.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
loved it.

Personally i felt it was a massive improvment over MGS2 and MGS3.

MGS2 -- the games radar made it to easy, and the codec conversation were boring / annoying...
MGS3 -- the gameplay was WAAAY too slow. For someone like me who dosn't to die often in MGS games it was pain crawling alot due to hard to see soldiers or the annoyance of a primtive radar system. Also i beat the game 3 times -- and its the replays which are annoying ( currently half through 4th playthough but have distracted by MGS4).

MGS4 however offered as a radar system simaliar to MGS3's -- but with the threat ring to help. The gameplay also is faster, which i think is due to the better placement of PMC's which can be hard to get passed -- but atleast you know where they are preety quickly allowing the player to move along at their own pace.

Also i felt the cutscences in MGS4 were great -- obivously Hideo Kojima could cut some lines and shortened some of the cutscences... but overall it was a very enjoyable game, which leaves you content yet wanting more at the same time.

Though I will admit that the lack of people in the codec and general lack of information from the codec except in certain boss fights was a little dissapointing ...
spidadragon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spidadragon1
Member since 2007 • 1844 Posts

Love It

Do you know about the skip feature?

Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Col_Swamp
Member since 2006 • 937 Posts
absolutely loved it!
Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts
My router type won't allow me to play it online with others, but the single player part of that game is phenomenal, with the exception of a horrible ending imo.
wcbballkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wcbballkid
Member since 2005 • 265 Posts
Anyone who loves this game must like movies that make them do stuff every 1/2 hour or so.
Haku_Ryushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 Haku_Ryushi
Member since 2004 • 1241 Posts
Love it.
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
love it. One of the sickest games to come out recently.
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts

love it, story, gameplay, cutscenes, graphics, music, octocamo, all mgs girls, naomi's boobs, I like snake eater more tho

Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts
Love it but wish there were more members to get in touch with via Codec (even though it does make sense to have so few with the 'lone wolf' situation).