Sony Raises Trophy Level Cap

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts

Sony Raises the PlayStation Network Trophy Cap

Level 50 is no longer the ceiling on PSN.

In early September, we reported that the PlayStation Network level cap has been reached by a PS3 account known as Hakoom. The level cap was 50 (1%), and it seemed that Sony didn't have any intention of letting PS3 users go any higher for the time being.

But Hakoom reached out to us here at IGN to let us know that the cap had indeed been lifted. After verifying the information on the PlayStation Network for ourselves, we're ready to report that Level 50 (1%) is no longer the absolute height of what PS3 gamers could reach.

Hakoom is now at Level 55 (42%), with 15,662 total Trophies earned. That includes 296 Platinum Trophies. However, the user duck360 is still king, sitting at Level 56 (84%), with 15,868 Trophies and 319 Platinum Trophies. Whether or not there is a new cap remains to be seen, although one of these two dueling Trophy Hunters are bound to answer that question for themselves one day soon.

As we put in the last article we wrote about the Trophy cap, here is some context in how many Trophies these two gamers have. Both Greg Miller and myself play and write about PlayStation 3 for a living. And we're both sitting at level 18.

ksire_68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ksire_68
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts
Damn, two users close to 16,000 trophies? Thats some serious gaming right there. I've gotta give props to those two dedicated souls. I've only got around 8 platinums, and it was pretty tough to get those. I could only imagine how long it took to get around 300 plats..
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
[QUOTE="ksire_68"]Damn, two users close to 16,000 trophies? Thats some serious gaming right there. I've gotta give props to those two dedicated souls. I've only got around 8 platinums, and it was pretty tough to get those. I could only imagine how long it took to get around 300 plats..

u gotta understand, that its not those 2 users only. theres more than 5ppl on each of accounts. ppl share that account to keep raising the their trophies. i got one of them (hakoom on my list) and im pretty cool with him. anyways if i too gave my account to more than 5ppl to use and play games and get trophies ill be on top as well. i do give both of em props but i wouldnt praise them, cuz like i said more than one person uses that account to keep raising their trophies, just my 2cent :P
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

i'm only at level 15 currently

ksire_68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ksire_68
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts
[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"] u gotta understand, that its not those 2 users only. theres more than 5ppl on each of accounts. ppl share that account to keep raising the their trophies. i got one of them (hakoom on my list) and im pretty cool with him. anyways if i too gave my account to more than 5ppl to use and play games and get trophies ill be on top as well. i do give both of em props but i wouldnt praise them, cuz like i said more than one person uses that account to keep raising their trophies, just my 2cent :P

Oh. Well, that makes much more sense. :P At first I was like, "These two must eat, sleep, and breathe video games." Still, it would be pretty amazing if it was just them getting those trophies and not sharing their account.
austi722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 austi722
Member since 2009 • 452 Posts

Im at level 4 or 5 still.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
Christ Im level 8 and I go for trophies......Dudes must game for a living or have no life
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
Damn I was so close to reaching the ceiling! (but not really)
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
hakoom and duck may hire someone to play for them. IMO
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoKeR_421
[QUOTE="ksire_68"][QUOTE="JoKeR_421"] u gotta understand, that its not those 2 users only. theres more than 5ppl on each of accounts. ppl share that account to keep raising the their trophies. i got one of them (hakoom on my list) and im pretty cool with him. anyways if i too gave my account to more than 5ppl to use and play games and get trophies ill be on top as well. i do give both of em props but i wouldnt praise them, cuz like i said more than one person uses that account to keep raising their trophies, just my 2cent :P

Oh. Well, that makes much more sense. :P At first I was like, "These two must eat, sleep, and breathe video games." Still, it would be pretty amazing if it was just them getting those trophies and not sharing their account.

im sure that at least 60% to 70% could be actually them going at it lol, heck if i had that much time i wouldnt be able to afford my games or pay my bills. but yea man it would been crazy if it was all them lol, they should get like a free game or something lol, but yea they do share their id with family and friends, so it adds to their list.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
It's taken me 2 years just to reach level 17, 2170 trophies and 30 platinums...I'll never reach level 50. Also it's common knowledge that those accounts are shared with other people, it's not like it's just one person, that would require gaming 24/7.
ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts
I wonder what the cap is now? If it's 60, sounds like it will be broken soon.
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I still wish we could delete some games from our trophy list. Not individual trophies but games that have 0% next to them that we rented, played for five minutes, hated and never plan to play again. :(

Damn, though. 16,000 trophies? Wow. My hat off to those dedicated nerds. :P

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Rick_14
[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]It's taken me 2 years just to reach level 17, 2170 trophies and 30 platinums...I'll never reach level 50. Also it's common knowledge that those accounts are shared with other people, it's not like it's just one person, that would require gaming 24/7.

Yea I also read that they are known exploiters/boosters as well. Makes sense to get trophies that fast.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

Damn I was so close to reaching the ceiling! (but not really)The_Rick_14

you're at level 13, you're nowhere near close, level 15 is not even close either and that's where i am

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Rick_14

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]Damn I was so close to reaching the ceiling! (but not really)killerband55

you're at level 13, you're nowhere near close, level 15 is not even close either and that's where i am

The "(but not really)" was an attempt to show sarcasm. Either I didn't do a good enough job of it, or it just went right over your head. I'm aware it's no where close.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
most likely this isn't the last level cap raise we will see with all of the games every year coming out with trophies and even more so if sony wants the ps3 to last its 10 year cycle
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]Damn I was so close to reaching the ceiling! (but not really)killerband55

You seriously couldn't see that obvious sarcasm?
egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

hakoom and duck may hire someone to play for them. IMOhippiesanta

Biggest waste of money I've ever heard. Just for bragging rights; this is kind of ridiculous.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
thing is, you can only have your account on 5 PS3's at a time, so how would they be able to have more than 5 people working on it at the same time? they would also only be able to have 1 PS3 online at any given time, I would say a good 60-70% of games have online trophies, and given the number of plats they must have them for many, many games. That is an incredible feat, even with 5 users, as only one could work on the online stuff at a time. even dividing that by 5 people, its still a hell of alot of gaming. Unless you know a way to have more than 5 PS3's active with an account?
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MushroomWig

thing is, you can only have your account on 5 PS3's at a timeBibiMaghoo

No, the 5 console limit only counts when downloading items from the store, you can log into your account on any number of PS3s.

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts
im never getting there so not worried about those news didnt even knew there was a lvl 50 cap.
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Hakoom claims to only be one person getting the trophies. He has a site and, I'm not sure if English is his first language so I don't want to be rude, his spelling/grammar are terrible. That's beside the point, but he says he is in first for single person trophy hunting. Duck360 is a team of dudes.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MushroomWig
Hakoom claims to only be one person getting the trophies..Chaos_Bladez
I don't believe that for one second, he would have to be unemployed and constantly gaming all day. There is no way one user can go from level 50 to 55 in one month without help.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

About damn time! Finally I can get past level 50 when I get there :| I doubt I'll ever reach level 20 :lol:

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#26 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

This won't affect anyone except those two anyway. Honestly i can't imagine how someone (even if they have 5 other people on their account) can get that much trophies assuming they go to work/school. I game a lot, but i'm "only" Level 13.

Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
Wow, its crazy thinking that people have over 5k trophies. I can't see myself playing and platinuming every single game.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BibiMaghoo

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]thing is, you can only have your account on 5 PS3's at a timeMushroomWig

No, the 5 console limit only counts when downloading items from the store, you can log into your account on any number of PS3s.

sorry mate, but you are wrong. I am on my 6th PS3, and I had to deactivate a console to use my profile on the 6th. What you say is actually the other way around, you can download games as many times as you like, but they will only work on your five active consoles.
H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts

About damn time! Finally I can get past level 50 when I get there :| I doubt I'll ever reach level 20 :lol:

Swift_Boss_A
Lol. I can just imagine a poor gamer with bloodshot eyes, hair tattered and a mug of coffee next to him while he's trophy hunting on a gaming chair, what a poor, poor soul. Anyway, I only have 6 platinums, so....
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I'm only level 11 or 12 or 13 or sumtin can't even remember with only 10 plats. There are like 10 or more games waiting for me to plat them, some have been waiting for a long time(inFamous has been waiting for like 2 years) but I'm just to lazy to plat games anymore lol. I want to reach the 20 plats mark someday so I'll plat those games some day. I'll get to work next year during the holidays. xd Anyway these guys are crazy. I'm aware these are shared accounts but still, that's a hell a lot of gaming.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoKeR_421
[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]thing is, you can only have your account on 5 PS3's at a time, so how would they be able to have more than 5 people working on it at the same time? they would also only be able to have 1 PS3 online at any given time, I would say a good 60-70% of games have online trophies, and given the number of plats they must have them for many, many games. That is an incredible feat, even with 5 users, as only one could work on the online stuff at a time. even dividing that by 5 people, its still a hell of alot of gaming. Unless you know a way to have more than 5 PS3's active with an account?

they not giving out their names to ppl, its their own friends and family of course they taking turns, im sure they work got family to see and what not. but when ONE person isnt on the other one is. like i mentioned above i have hakoom on my list hes pretty koo guy, but he does have his friends and family use his id to gt higher trophies. they even made a video with all of them sitting together trying to get trophies together. im sure though most at least 60 to 70% of the trophies are theirs, but the rest i know for a fact arent lol
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"]Hakoom claims to only be one person getting the trophies..MushroomWig
I don't believe that for one second, he would have to be unemployed and constantly gaming all day. There is no way one user can go from level 50 to 55 in one month without help.

Well if you check his site, that what says. Not saying that that is true or not, but he stands by that. He does really game all day. There was a weird thread I read on his site where people asked him how much he plays. He gave some answer like "the day is never over" or whatever.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#33 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

With all due respect, anyone who is above level twenty most likely has no life in my opinion. I'm level twelve, and I play way too much for my own good to begin with. I don't see how anyone can get to level fifty unless they have no friends, no job, and way 300 pounds.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"]Hakoom claims to only be one person getting the trophies. He has a site and, I'm not sure if English is his first language so I don't want to be rude, his spelling/grammar are terrible. That's beside the point, but he says he is in first for single person trophy hunting. Duck360 is a team of dudes.

Hakoom is from Bahrain..... where political turmoil happen at the moment
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

With all due respect, anyone who is above level twenty most likely has no life in my opinion. I'm level twelve, and I play way too much for my own good to begin with. I don't see how anyone can get to level fifty unless they have no friends, no job, and way 300 pounds.

brickdoctor

With the amount of games out as well as the period of time that could have been used level 20 really isn't that much.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

even if that was 5 people, dividing it up to 5 users would still mean pretty hardcore gaming. ive had my ps3 since 08 and im only at level 11 with no platinum. i don't know how you guys can get platinum since some of the trophies require you to do something really ridiculous...and a little out of the way

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

brickdoctor
what does weight have to do with it? lol i know plenty of people that game that is not obese....
Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

Wow, I don't think I would ever get that high. You have to be pretty hardcore about our favorite hobby to even get past level twenty.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

LVL 50...???

Holy Hell I'm Only a LVL 12:?

munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

dang thats crazy. im not even a thousand trophies yet. haha

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts
Some Hakoom info... http://www.hakoom.com/ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hakoom/361497360579 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-T7fMGIP8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fhakoom.com%2F&feature=player_embedded
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BibiMaghoo
[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"][QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]thing is, you can only have your account on 5 PS3's at a time, so how would they be able to have more than 5 people working on it at the same time? they would also only be able to have 1 PS3 online at any given time, I would say a good 60-70% of games have online trophies, and given the number of plats they must have them for many, many games. That is an incredible feat, even with 5 users, as only one could work on the online stuff at a time. even dividing that by 5 people, its still a hell of alot of gaming. Unless you know a way to have more than 5 PS3's active with an account?

they not giving out their names to ppl, its their own friends and family of course they taking turns, im sure they work got family to see and what not. but when ONE person isnt on the other one is. like i mentioned above i have hakoom on my list hes pretty koo guy, but he does have his friends and family use his id to gt higher trophies. they even made a video with all of them sitting together trying to get trophies together. im sure though most at least 60 to 70% of the trophies are theirs, but the rest i know for a fact arent lol

Thats a fair point, more than 5 could be using the account just only on 5 consoles. He must have an uber gaming family lol. lucky dude.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

brickdoctor

Agreed. Also sharing your PSN id just to rack up trophies seems rather pointless to me.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I bet those guys play through a lot of easy shovelware to get trophies...
CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts
how is that possible? wow
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts
I bet those guys play through a lot of easy shovelware to get trophies...koospetoors
That must be boring..it's like playing games for a job instead of fun.
IamTheBesteva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IamTheBesteva
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts

i think these two kids need lifes and girlfriends

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

More like, they need to leave their house and have a life.

Damn, two users close to 16,000 trophies? Thats some serious gaming right there. I've gotta give props to those two dedicated souls. I've only got around 8 platinums, and it was pretty tough to get those. I could only imagine how long it took to get around 300 plats..ksire_68

yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 yomanjdf
Member since 2003 • 1166 Posts

u cant buy games just like in microsoft points so why bother

jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
There's not enough games that I enjoy to get that many trophies. Shared or otherwise, there's a lot of bad games being played to get 300 plats...