Sony Charges $0.16 Per Downloaded GB

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/964/964975p1.html

Wow. I mean since i have free internet i downloaded almost 60 demos.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts
It doesnt really affect me, but Sony's beening getting pretty desperate with money, they mothballed their employees like last week. So idk great system but shaddy business....
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
I don't like this at all. It's discouraging publishers from adding early demos to the PSN.
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

Bandwidth isn't free...

Think of that money as a rental fee. their putting their demo's up in sombody elses lot. I'm sure M$ does this too.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Bandwidth isn't free...

Think of that money as a rental fee. their putting their demo's up in sombody elses lot. I'm sure M$ does this too.

enygma500

Did you even read the article... Microsoft and Nintendo don't do this...

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

This is bad very, very bad.

I think PSN wont be free soon anymore...

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Squeets

This is bad very, very bad.

I think PSN wont be free soon anymore...

samuraiguns

Better be cheap... I don't feel like paying for crap quality like this...

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LORDDICE1
Member since 2007 • 1263 Posts
well considring you pay a fee for live they put the cost on the consumer lol. On top of that of course Nintendo doesnt do this. The only thing worth demoing on the Wii is their own titles. think before you post :)[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

Bandwidth isn't free...

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Squeets

well considring you pay a fee for live they put the cost on the consumer lol. On top of that of course Nintendo doesnt do this. The only thing worth demoing on the Wii is their own titles. think before you post :)[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

Bandwidth isn't free...

LORDDICE1

Um... Xbox Live Silver is free... and they get the same demo's Gold accounts get... So hmmm? Is Microsoft charging imaginary credit cards with imaginery money?

Maybe you should think before you post.

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LORDDICE1
this is true but all the people paying for gold is off setting those costs, again think before you post! [QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="LORDDICE1"]well considring you pay a fee for live they put the cost on the consumer lol. On top of that of course Nintendo doesnt do this. The only thing worth demoing on the Wii is their own titles. think before you post :)[QUOTE="Squeets"]

Um... Xbox Live Silver is free... and they get the same demo's Gold accounts get... So hmmm? Is Microsoft charging imaginary credit cards with imaginery money?

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts
[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="LORDDICE1"]well considring you pay a fee for live they put the cost on the consumer lol. On top of that of course Nintendo doesnt do this. The only thing worth demoing on the Wii is their own titles. think before you post :)[QUOTE="Squeets"]

You seem like a troll...mostly bc everytime you post your putting down PS, you do realise this isnt System Wars right?
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Hmmm...so the more stuff i download the money Sony gets? Sweet..., first party games are better anyways. TO MY PS3!! *starts downloading*

SmashingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 SmashingX
Member since 2007 • 625 Posts

I don't like this at all. It's discouraging publishers from adding early demos to the PSN.Duckman5
Yeah and it could encourage them to only support the other console(s) they feature the game on with a demo.

zero_cool098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zero_cool098
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts
this is true but all the people paying for gold is off setting those costs, again think before you post! [QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="LORDDICE1"]LORDDICE1

you do realize u cant play online with silver account, while with psn you get full access. They have every rite to charge who they want to charge for a service given, sony just happens to do it to publishers not to the consumers. Nothing shady at all
joelgargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joelgargan
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

yeah paying for online (on xbox) would offset the costs for the downloads which sony are having to charge, but Live is pretty good, its only like 5 bucks a month anyway.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
At first, I thought the people paying the $0.16 was the consumers, which would have pissed me off due to the inconvenience rather than the fee itself. But man, I hope this doesn't discourage publishers from pushing out demos. But hell, it probably will :|
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107

Hmmm...so the more stuff i download the money Sony gets? Sweet..., first party games are better anyways. TO MY PS3!! *starts downloading*

Zidaneski
that is crazy
DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

That would really tick me off. I love my PS3 but part of it is because we get to play free online. Either way it's a bad PR move to give something for free for so long and then take it away. Unless of course you explain way ahead of time, then you at least get people prepared but the expectation moving forwards is that PSN will always be free.

egiffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 egiffin
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

I think demos are one of the best forms of marketing the publishers can use. Ive downloaded demos that I thought would be stupid like civilization revolution and actually enjoyed them. When you think about it, lets say the game publishers make only $5 profit per game. That means that if only 2 of 30 people that download the demo go out and buy the game, they are STILL making a net profit. If you can't sell to more people from a good demo, then you need to make a better game. (and im sure they make a lot more than $5 per game) Sony puts a lot of work into the network and I think it is only fair they get some kind of kick back for that.

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts

[QUOTE="LORDDICE1"]LORDDICE1

Man, you owned him pretty hard.
hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

They have all the rights to do it.

dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

Still more of a profit margin than shipping it to gamestop, especially if it's a horrible game with a lot of hype.

GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts
I don't like this at all. It's discouraging publishers from adding early demos to the PSN.Duckman5
And the DLC. No Fallout 3 DLC for PS3 owners now...
LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LORDDICE1
um that was anounced before the game even came out, microsoft paid for it, on top of that be happy this is something we the consumer are not paying for. There is a reason they charge people for live keep that in mind!
[QUOTE="Duckman5"]I don't like this at all. It's discouraging publishers from adding early demos to the PSN.GANGSTASAN
And the DLC. No Fallout 3 DLC for PS3 owners now...

spence1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spence1988
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts
You guys that think this is shady do realize that this is probably a part of how Sony keeps the PSN free right? Besides, I always thought it was a good thing when the consumer wins - i.e, not charging us the 16 cents per gig downloaded as opposed to multi-million dollar corporations.
yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

this entire article from IGN is just more blatant anti-Sony nonsense, non-issue **** It's called advertising fees, and all corporations have to pony up and pay them. Did they mention anything negative about idiots paying for XBOX LIVE? nope, wonder why=M$$$$ pay offs... advertising. AND, WHY would we the gamers need be concerned at all about something that has nothing to do with our FREE PSN enjoyment? EVER? payola is an ugly thing IGN.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yixingtpot
double post, ask yourselves this anti-PSN a-holes, do you think "publishers" get FREE advertising for their f'ing game via this very site? HELL NO, they PAY out the butt. it's a non-issue created by anti-Sony media funded by M$... again.
monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
this isnt shady, its business. microsoft charges the user for fees (XBL) rather than the publisher and thats why they like to give them stuff, and with having psn free, the costs need to go somewhere so instead of us the users paying it goes to the publishers, which in turn prevents them giving stuff to sony. so you could either have a free service, but it lacks in areas, or pay for a service and get better things. and since psn started as being free, its unlikely to see them to start charging, but if i were them i would also add a premium service which you can pay for which has more things to offer alongside a free service so that a) users dont need to pay if they dont want to, especially those who dont play online often b)gives those who play online more things for their money, i.e. dashboards, monthly freebies or specials, demos before the non-paying users and things like that but unless they can offer a pricecut and increase base numbers of those online it probably wont work, but its something sony should see into
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

No wonder at times it seems like we don't get any demos. I wonder if there is a special thing that the $0.16 goes towards...

donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts

advertising! not a big deal...

Airek49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Airek49
Member since 2003 • 1081 Posts
Nintendo doesn't need to do this because everything they put out sells like hot cakes. XBox Live doesn't do this because it's not free.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
With that charging the least they could do is make a acceptable download speed from PS store..
brian6751

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brian6751
Member since 2003 • 2993 Posts
I dont get it. people are mad cuz Sony is charging dev's to have their demo on PSN? You dont think Micro$oft charges them as well? Like someone else mentioned, it is ADVERTISING.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

thats the lamest thing i've heard of... sony is getting on my nerves with all this sneaky business. it's like they think I won't find out... Oh well I never download demos anyway, so I guess I'm not part of the problem... I'm sure a fanboy is gonna go DL as much stuff as he can b/c he thinks Sony will get paid.mjk_1

Pshhh, no fanboy would ever think that...O_o

brian6751

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 brian6751
Member since 2003 • 2993 Posts
Just read the artilce. They say MS and Nintendo dont charge. I dont believe that one bit.
zobi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37 zobi123
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Squeets

agreed!

Darth_Cola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darth_Cola
Member since 2004 • 195 Posts

This is why I dont mind paying my Subscription fee with Microsoft. This is why sony should give there heads a shake and implement a fee, i dont think publishers will like paying out of there A**'s, just to get an example.. ( a 3 song demo ) on the psn network. sonys 14+ million psn users can talley up a pretty hefty bandwidth fee.

I know cuz Im one of them always downlaodin stuff , games , demos & new songs....etc.

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="LORDDICE1"]zobi123

agreed!

Apparently you missed, or most likely chose to pass over, LORDDICE1's rebuttle.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Squeets

actually silver members have to wait a week or two to get the demo.
Trixstar99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Trixstar99
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts

Damet..Why Sony dont think about people who dont have credit card .I cant even buy psn games

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
omg sony is a bunch greedy bastardz, they are charging teh devs.that ain't right . sony should be charging us XD. you people make me sick.
Darth_Cola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darth_Cola
Member since 2004 • 195 Posts

Damet..Why Sony dont think about people who dont have credit card .I cant even buy psn games

Trixstar99

i dont have one either I believe the rich should only have em. But in my case, I buy those gift cards. there all around dude.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

This is different how from PC publishers having to pay to host their own software on 3rd-party servers?

Wii doesn't have the system because they have their tiny file-size restriction, 360 has their fees covered by the gold memberships with their one-week exclusive deal (which in turn also screws PS3 users over as the publishers take the cash from Microsoft to delay it a week for them also), and Sony just charges their developers a minute amount to host their demos on their service. It's advetising, and it works.

This isn't shady of Sony at all (especially when it's been occuring for the last 5 months), it's their business practice, and there's no reason for us to complain about it since it doesn't affect the end-user at all in the grand scheme of things. It's not like Microsoft where they make developers put a price-tag on everything for us in terms of DLC content, so it's a nice trade-off from the consumers point of view.

Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

Greedy...

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yixingtpot
it all comes down to paying for advertising and Sony pays, so the publishers pay to get advertising via PSN. nothing is free in entertainment, it's all advertising. if you visit this site and don't see... notice all the advertising blinding you on every page then you're a stupid piece of retard on a stick. nothing is free, these sites are built on advertising. only the stupid people join$$$ and pay for advertising. I used to join IGN for E3 coverage until E3 died, then i just realized you can get all the videos via Youtube or other sites on the net. I don't pay to watch ads anymore, because it's stupid. to somehow feel sorry for publishers is beyond stupid, they are the pigs that rule the entertainment universe, F' them to hell, Sony should charge them more, and give us more free stuff on PSN.
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
I'm never downloading free stuff till after 60 days. It's not as if a free demo's gonna go after 60 days
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PSP107

This is crazy