Somebody explain Playstation Plus and This Free Game Deal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gama_Forever
Member since 2004 • 2645 Posts

What's the catch to this free game? I've seen you guys get games like Sleeping Dogs, Demon's Souls, crazy 30 dollar discounts on retail games, etc. What's the deal with it? What's the catch to this free game? I pay 50 dollars for Xbox Live and I don't really get any of these kind of deals. It's something I want to know more about going into next-gen. Thanks for your time. 

Outsider-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Outsider-G
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts

What is Playstation Plus?.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Wow where have you been in the pass 2+ years.

PSN+ works like this:

-You get discount on games

-You get free game trials

-You get access to stuff before available to the rest

-You get access to betas

-You get cloud game save storage

-You get automatic updates (for the system and games) set at you preferred time

-Discount on DLC add-ons

-Free DLC add-ons

-You get free games

There is no catch. Only minor thing is that what ever games you got for free wont be able to be played if your subscription is done. BUT the games you bought at a discount will always be yours whether you are still a PSN+ member or not.

PSN+ is great, but I'll be honest.... I wouldnt recommend it to everyone, especially now. You've already missed out on so many free stuff. The stuff they give out is not there for ever, its there for a couple weeks or a month and then its not there for free anymore. Its late in the gen to get into it I think. And I dont really think Sony is going to support PSN+ on the PS3 much when the PS4 comes out this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I believe you're talking about the instant game collection which is apart of PS+?   As long as you're subsribed to PS+, you can download and play these games for as long as you want.  They add new games every so often.   Recently Catherine and Hitman Absolution was added to the EU PS+ Store, not sure about the US PS Store.  Of course these games don't stay on the instant game collection forever.  So you have to make sure you activate them on your system then you'll be able to download them as many times as you want.  Just so long as you're subscribed to PS Plus.  It's a pretty darn good deal.

SCAIRKROW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SCAIRKROW
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
To make it simple xbox360 charges for online gaming @50 with little to no free game but on PS+ you get early beta access, you get PS3,PS1,PS2/HD,ps vita,PSP and PSN games to download for free and you get discounts from like 15 -80% off on games. You also get free TV services and the norm like hulu and netflix. I own both systems and better deal (to me) is by far the PS3.
Gama_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gama_Forever
Member since 2004 • 2645 Posts
Sounds like horse manure to me. Seriously. I've spent 400 dollars on 8 years of Xbox Live Gold and the only free game I've gotten is Undertow and Happy Wars.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts
Sounds like horse manure to me. Seriously. I've spent 400 dollars on 8 years of Xbox Live Gold and the only free game I've gotten is Undertow and Happy Wars. Gama_Forever
That is perhaps because XBOX Live is a total rip off. MS just want that little bit extra cash from you just so you can play online.
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts
The "free" games aren't free. It's an extended rental service, and that's not a put down, either. It's a neat service that allows you to play some really cool games start to finish every year at much less of the cost of renting physical copies from local rental joints. But you don't own the games, and they aren't free at all, you pay for the right to access them when you pay $50 for your year of Plus. "Here, you can have this for free" implies ownership that doesn't exist, it simply isn't accurate.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
It's definitely a better expense than Live since you get more from it.
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
The only reason I haven't gone with PS+ is because the games they offer, I usually already have.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

You basically pay $50 a year for $500 or more worth of games.  People complain that they do not get to keep the games, but your not even paying two dollars to play any of them.  The only negative aspect to the free games is that you do not get a choice as to which games you want.  You could already own some of the games that are offered for free.  There are other perks too such as 1 hour full game trials, cloud storage for saved game data, automatic patch downloads and automatic access into betas. $50 a year for 40 plus games along with the other features is quite a deal in my opinion.  This is the kind of online service that is actually worth paying for.  When I bought PS Plus, I actually got 3 months for free.  Here is another way of putting it.  I have already gotten close to $200 worth of games since I signed up on March 1st.  That is only 3 months worth of content.  I still have a full year left to go.  If I have gotten $200 in 3 months, then I have another $800 worth of games to receive.  When my subscription is finally over, I will have earned almost $1000 worth of games for 15 months give or take. 

Ok, let me put it in even simpler terms.  You pay $50 a year to get about $50 worth of games per month.  Back in March, Spec Ops the Line was free and that game costs $30.  Joe Danger 2, The Cave, and Disgaea 3 were offered fo free as well.  Joe Danger 2 and The cost $15 a piece normally.  Disgaea 3 for Vita costs about $30 also.  All in all, I got $90 worth of free games for just March.  This May, NA PSN is getting Sleeping Dogs, which runs about $30.  It is also getting Knytt Underground and Pinball Arcade.  Knytt Underground is around $15, and Pinball Arcade is $10.  Blazblue for Vita is also going to be free.  This game is about $20.  This is about $75 worth of games for the month of May.  In April PS Plus got Demon's Souls, Melicious, Zombie Tycoon 2, and Labyrinth Legends.  all of these games together would normally run about $40 to $50 normally.  You do the math.  PS Plus users have accumulated $215 worth of games in three months.  There were also a couple of free PSP games as well that I did not account for.  Nonetheless, you get my point.  Sometimes the games that come out for PS Plus are not super awesome, but the majority of them are of good to great quality.   

Avatar image for Cosmic-Demigod-
Cosmic-Demigod-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cosmic-Demigod-
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
It's definitely a better expense than Live since you get more from it.Kravyn81
yup, xbox live is nothing but a rip off
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The catch is they aren't yours to keep forever. PS+ is just a glorified DD rental service.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#14 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

The catch is they aren't yours to keep forever. PS+ is just a glorified DD rental service.

Bigboi500

I agree.  What I didn't know when I got the Plus was that if I downloaded a "free" game available to PS+ users, if that game goes on sale while you have the Plus, guess what, you can't buy it - at least I couldn't.  The game registers as you having bought it.  This happened to me with Retro City Rampage.  I contacted Sony and they said they'd have to cancel my purchase of the game (ie when I got it via the Plus) but by then the sale was over.  Doh.

It's a good service for discounts and if you like to finish games and forget them.  Another nice thing was that each day my system downloaded the latest any new patches - you just pick the time you want and it does it daily.

OldSnakePS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OldSnakePS3
Member since 2012 • 306 Posts

its worth every penny and pays for itself many times over imo 

and ive been a subscriber for over a year now 

without plus i wouldve never tried out just cause 2 and borderlands (both awesome)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

d_parker

I agree.  What I didn't know when I got the Plus was that if I downloaded a "free" game available to PS+ users, if that game goes on sale while you have the Plus, guess what, you can't buy it - at least I couldn't.  The game registers as you having bought it.  This happened to me with Retro City Rampage.  I contacted Sony and they said they'd have to cancel my purchase of the game (ie when I got it via the Plus) but by then the sale was over.  Doh.

It's a good service for discounts and if you like to finish games and forget them.  Another nice thing was that each day my system downloaded the latest any new patches - you just pick the time you want and it does it daily.

You're right, its saving grace is the discounts. My year's subscription is just about to run out and I have no plans on renewing it. The service seems best suited for those who don't buy many games because just about every one of the "big game" downloads I already have.

It's the only rental service I know where you don't have any say in what you'll be renting.

WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 WeskerTeam
Member since 2010 • 1827 Posts

Free? Free games? No, you are paying 50 dollars for whatever they decide to give you.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
You basically pay little money and get a heap of games to play in return, as well as discounts on other items you want to buy on PSN. The games they give you are awesome and make the price alone well worth it.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
People have basicly already said what you get, but if you want a good deal and get some good games for it. If you usually get one game a month or more, then i would recomend trying this out
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Free? Free games? No, you are paying 50 dollars for whatever they decide to give you.

WeskerTeam

Of course there free, you just have to be part of PS+ and they don't give you them, they offer them and i'll be honest the games they offer are great games and newish games to, and the discounts are worth it alone and you get to keep them. there is no catch except you don't get to keep the free games if you leave PS+ but there always there if you ever go back to it and plus more free games. i mean xbox live, are you really paying for better online gaming really because on ps3 i found the free gaming to be very good i've never had any problems at all so what i don't get is what people are paying for on 360.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="WeskerTeam"]

bezza2011

Of course there free, you just have to be part of PS+ and they don't give you them, they offer them and i'll be honest the games they offer are great games and newish games to, and the discounts are worth it alone and you get to keep them. there is no catch except you don't get to keep the free games if you leave PS+ but there always there if you ever go back to it and plus more free games. i mean xbox live, are you really paying for better online gaming really because on ps3 i found the free gaming to be very good i've never had any problems at all so what i don't get is what people are paying for on 360.

Sorry but that's not free. They're rentals and nothing more.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

When you can find me a deal for 50$ a year that PS+ offers then we can have a discussion. Until then, PlayStation+ is worth every penny and yes, some games are free as you keep them even when you PS+ expires.

It's all explained on the official PlayStation website..

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

[QUOTE="bezza2011"]

[QUOTE="WeskerTeam"]

Bigboi500

They're more than rentals. You can download and play them as long as you're subscribed to Plus. Rentals typically last a day to a week. Also, you can't rent digital games with any other service, unless they're PC games.
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RogueShodown

When you can find me a deal for 50$ a year that PS+ offers then we can have a discussion. Until then, PlayStation+ is worth every penny and yes, some games are free as you keep them even when you PS+ expires.

It's all explained on the official PlayStation website..

Sokol4ever
The only games you get to keep forever are the ones Sony gives away during promotions. Example: Buy a year of PS+ in Month X and get Jurassic Park for free. That hasn't happened in a while.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="bezza2011"]

RogueShodown

They're more than rentals. You can download and play them as long as you're subscribed to Plus. Rentals typically last a day to a week. Also, you can't rent digital games with any other service, unless they're PC games.

Ever heard of Gamefly? You can keep them as long as you're a subscriber as well. Nobody has ever called Gamefly games "free".

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
Sounds like horse manure to me. Seriously. I've spent 400 dollars on 8 years of Xbox Live Gold and the only free game I've gotten is Undertow and Happy Wars. Gama_Forever
Trust me. I know how you feel. The 360 is my last Xbox. Live gold is just not worth the price of admission.
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

[QUOTE="RogueShodown"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Sorry but that's not free. They're rentals and nothing more.

Bigboi500

Ever heard of Gamefly? You can keep them as long as you're a subscriber as well. Nobody has ever called Gamefly games "free".

You have to pay 16 dollars a month for one game at a time rental. Ps+ costs 50 dollars for the whole year.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="RogueShodown"] They're more than rentals. You can download and play them as long as you're subscribed to Plus. Rentals typically last a day to a week. Also, you can't rent digital games with any other service, unless they're PC games.sirk1264

You have to pay 16 dollars a month for one game at a time rental. Ps+ costs 50 dollars for the whole year.

But the principle is same the same: only playable while you have a subscription; not yours to keep for ever and ever.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="sirk1264"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Ever heard of Gamefly? You can keep them as long as you're a subscriber as well. Nobody has ever called Gamefly games "free".

Bigboi500

But the principle is same the same: only playable while you have a subscription; not yours to keep for ever and ever.

The difference is that with Gamefly and Netflix, you have to give one disc back to receive another.  You can download as many games as you want with PS Plus provided you have the hard drive space.  I really do not see what there is to complain about.  You pay $50 for over $500 worth of games plus other features.  The service offers about 40 to 50 games a year to download, so you are basically paying a dollar to play each game for a large amount of time.  Why should anyone get to keep $500 worth of games for $50?  I have personally scored over $200 worth of games in 3 months, so I have already made four times my money back in games.  

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

If I dont renew my subscription, do I get to keep my free PlayStation Network games, PlayStation Minis and PSone classics?

Nope. If your subscription lapses, you lose all the free games youve downloaded.

Sounds like inorder to keep all those FREE GAMES it will cost you a bundle. When Sony decides to terminate the service you will lose them all, sounds like a rental IMO!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="sirk1264"] You have to pay 16 dollars a month for one game at a time rental. Ps+ costs 50 dollars for the whole year. gamenerd15

The difference is that with Gamefly and Netflix, you have to give one disc back to receive another.  You can download as many games as you want with PS Plus provided you have the hard drive space.  I really do not see what there is to complain about.  You pay $50 for over $500 worth of games plus other features.  The service offers about 40 to 50 games a year to download, so you are basically paying a dollar to play each game for a large amount of time.  Why should anyone get to keep $500 worth of games for $50?  I have personally scored over $200 worth of games in 3 months, so I have already made four times my money back in games.  

I'm not complaining, I'm arguing with some posters who are wrongly trying to say PS+ games are "free", when in fact they are not free. They're rentals.

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

I don't understanding all the constant complaints about the "free" games. Sony plainly explains this out on their website, and when you purchase a free game, they're a big disclaimer box that you have to acknowledge before going through with the purchase. Technically, you're not renting the game, you're paying a license fee to freely access the game you're downloaded.

It's the same as buying an antivirus program or even Windows. You pay for the license or key to use the product and if that license expires, you can't use the service anymore. If your antivirus subscription lapses, your antivirus stops working, if your Windows license somehow became invalidated, Microsoft would surely let you know and start crippling your computer until you got that sorted out ASAP. That's exactly how the free games that comes with Playstation Plus are.

Personally, PS Plus has given me the oportunity to play lots of games I'd have never bothered with or even heard of. If I like a game enough, then I'd just go buy the disc version to support further support the developer. Plus, the discounts are amazing. I got Dead Rising 2 Off the Record for about $9 and a bunch of other games really cheap.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamenerd15

If I dont renew my subscription, do I get to keep my free PlayStation Network games, PlayStation Minis and PSone classics?

Nope. If your subscription lapses, you lose all the free games youve downloaded.

Sounds like inorder to keep all those FREE GAMES it will cost you a bundle. When Sony decides to terminate the service you will lose them all, sounds like a rental IMO!

rrjim1

How would it cost you a bundle?  You just renew the subscription and keep everything you have gotten plus more.  If I am getting 50 games a year for $50, then why wouldn't I want to renew the service again?  The games are "free" with a subscription.  Sony never claims that the games are free outright.  You can either look at this as paying $1 per game or paying for four titles and receive 46 more for free.  Either way, the word "free" is not completely wrong.  90% off of various titles is not a bad deal by any means.  We are only talking about the instant game collection too.  There are other things that PS Plus offers such as cloud storage, auotmatic entries into betas, full game one hour trials, and automatic updates for games.  Where is the negative besides being having to be a PS Plus member.  PS Plus puts every other console online service to shame as far games themselves are concerened.  I would rather pay $50 to play about $50 a year, then shell out the same amount for party chat.       

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kravyn81
Either way, the word "free" is not completely wrong.gamenerd15
Not wrong, just wildly inaccurate. PS+ is a paid service. By that definition alone anything you are paying access to is not free no matter how many bells and whistles they offer. Those are called "INCENTIVES."
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bigboi500

Having to pay the subscription fee dictates that the products you're using are not free, and not being able to play them once your subscription runs out means that they're not your games and never were, hence, a timed rental.

I think the service is good, and definitely better than XBL Gold. I've had PS + for a year and a half now, and while I have gotten some great discounts and a few great games I've never played before they came along, I still don't feel like the service is worth $50 a year.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kravyn81
Having to pay the subscription fee dictates that the products you're using are not free...Bigboi500
Thank you for reiterating what I just said.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Having to pay the subscription fee dictates that the products you're using are not free...Kravyn81
Thank you for reiterating what I just said.

No need to thank me. :P

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamenerd15

Having to pay the subscription fee dictates that the products you're using are not free, and not being able to play them once your subscription runs out means that they're not your games and never were, hence, a timed rental.

I think the service is good, and definitely better than XBL Gold. I've had PS + for a year and a half now, and while I have gotten some great discounts and a few great games I've never played before they came along, I still don't feel like the service is worth $50 a year.

Bigboi500

If you are the type of person who buys a lot of games day one, then I could see why the service would be not be the best.  I look at PS Plus as a way to expand my horizons in gaming.  I would have never played games like Quantum Conundum, Anomaly, Closure, Joe Danger 2, Sleeping Dogs, Vanquish, or Darksiders without this service.  I also have not gotten the chance to pick up Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, or Ratchet All 4 One. 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

gamenerd15

If you are the type of person who buys a lot of games day one, then I could see why the service would be not be the best.  I look at PS Plus as a way to expand my horizons in gaming.  I would have never played games like Quantum Conundum, Anomaly, Closure, Joe Danger 2, Sleeping Dogs, Vanquish, or Darksiders without this service.  I also have not gotten the chance to pick up Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, or Ratchet All 4 One. 

That's a good point. I have most of the retail games they offer, so it isn't really a great value for someone like me who knows what they like and buys games around release. Mine runs out soon and I'm not renewing, but I've enjoyed a bunch of PSN games I'd otherwise not have tried.

As a game collector, it just bothered me knowing that one day I wouldn't have access to the + games I've downloaded and enjoyed, so I ended up buying those games.

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RogueShodown

Most PS+ subscribers realize they don't get to keep their games. I call them free to differentiate from discounted games. It's obvious that if you've paid money for a service, it isn't free.

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Bigboi500

That's a good point. I have most of the retail games they offer, so it isn't really a great value for someone like me who knows what they like and buys games around release. Mine runs out soon and I'm not renewing, but I've enjoyed a bunch of PSN games I'd otherwise not have tried.

As a game collector, it just bothered me knowing that one day I wouldn't have access to the + games I've downloaded and enjoyed, so I ended up buying those games.

I don't know why it bothers people that they don't get to keep their 'free' PS+ games. How can you expect to keep the 50+ games given out every year? Some of them are free on day 1.

This is how I look at it: If you own most of the games offered on the service, you'll probably benefit the discounts. Some of them are huge, particularly the Borderlands 1/2 bundle for $21, GTA Complete bundle for $15, PS1 RE games for $2 or $3 and RE6 for $15 in just the past few weeks. Rayman Origins and LBP Karting were a low $10 a few months ago.

If you don't own them and are worried about losing them when PS+ ceases to exist or you choose not to renew, consider this: How much will these games be worth at that point? LBP2 was one game I was interested back in June. At the time it was worth $20-$30. I decided to subscribe to PS+ to play it along with some other games. Yesterday the special edition including a bunch of DLC was on sale at Best Buy for $10. Chances are that you'll be done with most of the games offered on PS+ once your subscription is up and be able to pick up the titles you're still interested in for a low price.

Avatar image for FireRescueMedic
FireRescueMedic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FireRescueMedic
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Best way to get free games is to get paid playing and reviewing them http://7649cynxbzkamz14o2qduqf3hx.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=%M1SSOUR1K1D%