SOE: PS3 MMO could rival World of Warcraft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nousemercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nousemercenary
Member since 2005 • 415 Posts
SOE: PS3 MMO could rival World of Warcraft
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#2 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

great i still dont know why blizzard havnt ported world of warcraft to the ps3. anyway id love to see a good mmo for the ps3, good performance and graphics as well as a game that can be up to 50gb. there will be a huge advantage having it on the ps3 over the 360 mainly because psn is free it wouldnt be fair to have to pay for psn and then pay to play the mmo. but it is gonna be a huge game if its to be up there with warcraft so not for a few years

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
That's only been said about every MMO released since WoW came out. I don't believe a word of it.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheSystemLord1

great i still dont know why blizzard havnt ported world of warcraft to the ps3. anyway id love to see a good mmo for the ps3, good performance and graphics as well as a game that can be up to 50gb. there will be a huge advantage having it on the ps3 over the 360 mainly because psn is free it wouldnt be fair to have to pay for psn and then pay to play the mmo. but it is gonna be a huge game if its to be up there with warcraft so not for a few years

d_ano

You would pay for a PS3 MMO. It takes alot more resources to keep the game up and running. You'd pay a standard subscription fee.

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#5 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
[QUOTE="d_ano"]

TheSystemLord1

You would pay for a PS3 MMO. It takes alot more resources to keep the game up and running. You'd pay a standard subscription fee.

thats what i ment, it would be unfair to have to pay for psn then have to pay a fee to play the game, just like wow has. but just out of curiosity how come guild wars is free to play online? i have never played it but i have been told that it is free but not as good as wow

TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts
It'd have to be a $500 million+ MMO to rival WoW... unfortunatly.
plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts
[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="d_ano"]

d_ano

thats what i ment, it would be unfair to have to pay for psn then have to pay a fee to play the game, just like wow has. but just out of curiosity how come guild wars is free to play online? i have never played it but i have been told that it is free but not as good as wow

They take out an expansion every 4 months or so instead of making people pay each month

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
He speaks of console MMOs in general, not a specific game or platform.
bryan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bryan2020
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts

I think MMOs should stay on the Pc .

bryan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bryan2020
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts

I think MMOs should stay on the Pc .

bryan2020
KingStoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KingStoph
Member since 2007 • 218 Posts
Yes true it would be good to have WoW on 360/PS3 as stated in 1st reply. we would lose the use of lots of Add-ons and Macros. so advanced players would have a hard time adjusting
teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
1. What do you think you're going to activate all those "skills" which require none on, keyboard? Oh wait.... no keyboard. 2. WoW is one of the worst games Ive ever seen, anyone could top it from any budget easily. Only people who doubt it are stupid enough to be playing wow in the first place, and most of them are ex-cons, mental patients or the few that slipped through the cracks.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

Yes true it would be good to have WoW on 360/PS3 as stated in 1st reply. we would lose the use of lots of Add-ons and Macros. so advanced players would have a hard time adjustingKingStoph

FFXI maintained it's macro functionality on the PS2. As for add-ons, UT3 was built to accept mods so add-ons shouldn't be all too difficult.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 emitsu97

1. What do you think you're going to activate all those "skills" which require none on, keyboard? Oh wait.... no keyboard. 2. WoW is one of the worst games Ive ever seen, anyone could top it from any budget easily. Only people who doubt it are stupid enough to be playing wow in the first place, and most of them are ex-cons, mental patients or the few that slipped through the cracks.teebeenz

What?

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iamsickofspam
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

Doesn't Sony have something to do with GuildWars, and isnt that a free to play MMO with about 4 or 5 million accounts?

If they released a Free to Play MMO on the playstation network with downloadable expansions or something, im sure i could see that taking off and becoming as big as WOW, but i suppose it deppends on the amount of PS3 systems out there, Currently i cant see anything overtaking WOW in terms of userbase, however im sure if there were as many PS3s out there as there were PS2s/PS1s it would have the infastructure ready to become bigger than WOW, and because for the most part its a closed system, it should be fairly easy to stop things like speedhackers and cheaters.

If an MMO will translate to a pad i have no idea, but they could add Mouse and Keyboard support anyway.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
1. No Sony has nothing to do with guild wars 2. No guild wars isnt an MMO 3. Use it has over 5million accounts.
captainhowdy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 captainhowdy23
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts
1. No Sony has nothing to do with guild wars 2. No guild wars isnt an MMO 3. Use it has over 5million accounts.teebeenz
Guild Wars is way better than WoW in my opinion, matter of fact I just left a PvP match :D.
megadeth78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 megadeth78
Member since 2005 • 2676 Posts
Ugh...so is SOE developing this "wow-rivaling" MMO or are they just saying that they could make one...?
iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iamsickofspam

1. No Sony has nothing to do with guild wars 2. No guild wars isnt an MMO 3. Use it has over 5million accounts.teebeenz

Ive never played guildwars, but on wiki it said it was an MMORPG, its ussually mentioned by people who play games in the same genre, so i asumed it was of similar feature to WOW ect.

Im also sure i read something on these forums months ago, about sony either publishing Guildwars or buying some kind of exclusivity contract with the devs.

Ive not played an MMORPG properly since the days of Dark Age of Camelot, but i have played about 10 different MMOs over the years, ive just avoided them because i no longer have the free time to play them.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Meh. I swear never to play any MMO again and I will keep that promise.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
as long as John Smedly had absoloutly nothing to do with the MMO the guy is a prick
Azurathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Azurathe
Member since 2003 • 498 Posts

[QUOTE="teebeenz"]1. No Sony has nothing to do with guild wars 2. No guild wars isnt an MMO 3. Use it has over 5million accounts.iamsickofspam

Ive never played guildwars, but on wiki it said it was an MMORPG, its ussually mentioned by people who play games in the same genre, so i asumed it was of similar feature to WOW ect.

Im also sure i read something on these forums months ago, about sony either publishing Guildwars or buying some kind of exclusivity contract with the devs.

Ive not played an MMORPG properly since the days of Dark Age of Camelot, but i have played about 10 different MMOs over the years, ive just avoided them because i no longer have the free time to play them.

Guild Wars isnt an mmo in the sense that it isnt a persistent world outside of the "common areas". whenever you venture outside of towns, etc, you're basically playing a multiplayer game in the sense of diablo.

BTW, old pre-wow EverQuest is still the best mmo in my opinion. they pussified it to appeal to the mass', which didnt really work anyways.

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AGMing
[QUOTE="iamsickofspam"]

[QUOTE="teebeenz"]1. No Sony has nothing to do with guild wars 2. No guild wars isnt an MMO 3. Use it has over 5million accounts.Azurathe

Guild Wars isnt an mmo in the sense that it isnt a persistent world outside of the "common areas". whenever you venture outside of towns, etc, you're basically playing a multiplayer game in the sense of diablo.

BTW, old pre-wow EverQuest is still the best mmo in my opinion. they pussified it to appeal to the mass', which didnt really work anyways.

same with SWG it was changed from a sandbox MMO with loads of potential into a bad sci-fi WoW copy, Space has remained untouched though which is the only good thing going for it.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I'm not sure about rivaling such MMO giant as WOW, but one thing is for sure.

An MMO on PS3 is very much possible and it would grow to be very popular. Keep in mind that PS3 accepts any kind of keyboard and mouse support.

In fact I already have both wireless for it and it work like a charm, so controls would not be an issue. You can even connect your existing computer USB K/B into USB ports on PS3 and start playing.

If anyone has played Final Fantasy XI on ps2, you will understand that it worked well in controls department. Imagine a improved FF MMO, or even an New IP, like the one from NCSoft (Creators of Guild Wars) that are already working on unannounced MMO PS3 only title.

I believe MMO gaming will take consoles by storm. After all, if done properly it will bring late amount of money to developers.

Time will tell, one thing is certain, MMO is coming to PS3, if not this year, 2009 for sure.

bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bluntiss
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
Sony..... Enough with what you can do.. Actually do something and prove it.. I've heard way too much talk from sony and not enough results.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
My "being a cocky game" alarm is going off...
Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts

lol yeah come on its not gonna happen. they couldn't do it with everquest 2 star wars galaxies and even after buying the matrix online they still couldn't do it. WOW is wow and blizzard is an amazing company, if you want a great mmo get wow the system reqs are low and you can most likely play it.

its a bigger waste of time and money in my opinion to try and get a game that rivals WOW because anytime a dev say that there mmo does it usually turns out horribly. also guild wars was more like diablo online then and MMO.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emitsu97

Sony..... Enough with what you can do.. Actually do something and prove it.. I've heard way too much talk from sony and not enough results. bluntiss

You do realize it takes lots of planning and dev time to do anything, right?

My "being a cocky game" alarm is going off...hazelnutman

Why?

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 emitsu97

lol yeah come on its not gonna happen. they couldn't do it with everquest 2 star wars galaxies and even after buying the matrix online they still couldn't do it. WOW is wow and blizzard is an amazing company, if you want a great mmo get wow the system reqs are low and you can most likely play it.

its a bigger waste of time and money in my opinion to try and get a game that rivals WOW because anytime a dev say that there mmo does it usually turns out horribly. also guild wars was more like diablo online then and MMO.

clarkportmanken

The specific statement was...

"I absolutely do [think we'll see that], and in fact I think by having a stable platform where every customer has an online capable box is a huge, huge potential advantage in building an MMO because you've already got an online userbase."

The specific question was...

"whether or not a home console may host a MMOG that could compete with the popular series"

fierro316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 fierro316
Member since 2003 • 1727 Posts

Sony signed a deal with NCsoft to publish some of its future games for the PS3.

A Guild Wars 2 port may happen one day.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
That's only been said about every MMO released since WoW came out. I don't believe a word of it.TheSystemLord1
TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts

I too have sworn never to play an MMO again. Too much epeen, not enough fun because of it.

I also agree - MMO's should stay on PC. I have consoles for SP and mild-MP, not massive online.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emitsu97

It be interesting to know the answer to these two questions:

- How many who've posted in this thread have ever played an MMO at length?

- How many have played specifically WoW at length?

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iamsickofspam

Sony signed a deal with NCsoft to publish some of its future games for the PS3.

A Guild Wars 2 port may happen one day.

fierro316

Ahh, thats probably what confused me, in regards to thinking sony had something to do with GuildWars,

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iamsickofspam

emitsu97

Ive played maybe a dozen MMOs to the upper level limits, i have not played WOW yet, i just dont have the time to invest in it, i have a couple of friends who have few chars though, most being lvl 70, watched them play it a couple of times, seams like a solid game.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
lol kid at work just gave me a copy of WOW and a expansion, And account name to use. Not sure if I should play or not?
moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

emitsu97

All but WoW (and some of the korean games, oh and EQ1 :D )
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 emitsu97

Ive played maybe a dozen MMOs to the upper level limits, i have not played WOW though, i just dont have the time to invest in it, i have a couple of friends who have few chars though, most being lvl 70, watched them play it a couple of times, seams like a solid game. iamsickofspam

My time constraints and responsibilities have also caused me to drop out of MMO's. WoW was my most recent and I had 3 lvl 70's. There's nothing wrong with MMO's. It's also not far fetched that WoW could be surpassed, especially given the current state of things in the game.

rpgfreak15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rpgfreak15
Member since 2004 • 759 Posts
It's really hard to pull a MMO that can get as many users as WoW yet have the incredible RPG quality of WoW. I used to play WoW...and i'm happy i stopped. I'm still a sort of serious gamer but i like casual games more and like to play with my mates most of the time. It would be really revolutionary to bring out a MMO that rivals WoW.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AGMing

Everquest 3 years (not played for 4-5 years)

EQ2 2 years (go back to this on and off)

SWG 4+ (still playing)

City of heros (6 months)

FF11 6 months

PotBS 1 month (the game i seem to be spending most of my time on atm)

played WoW for 7 months and got bored.

emitsu97
madsmokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 madsmokey
Member since 2004 • 258 Posts
MMOrpg's should be abolished..... lol after i got adicted to ff 11 and finally quit im never playing another mmorpg again...
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
Well if he's talking about the Agency we'll just have to see. I've only seen one video and it was like pre-beta so it was WAY too early to even consider judging that game. If they're talking about a new MMO possibly one made by NCSoft well then that could be very possible, but we'll see.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheSystemLord1

emitsu97

I played SWG for 3 years. 4/4/4/4 Jedi Gaurdian Pre-CU.

I played WoW for 2 years. 2 level 60's (didn't make it to Burning Crusade).

I played EQ2 for 4 months. It wasn't too good.

SWG, before the NGE, remains the best MMO experience I've ever had.

AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AGMing
[QUOTE="emitsu97"]

TheSystemLord1

SWG, before the NGE, remains the best MMO experience I've ever had.

i will agree with that SWG Pre-Cu was the best gaming experience iv ever had full stop.