So PS3 is getting banned in Europe? (at least temporarily)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Looks like this might be more worrisome than I thought it would be.

Link

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Yup, imports are banned for 10 days. Shouldn't make any difference to sales since stores have 3 weeks worth of stock, but if LG continues to win these things then Sony will be forced to pay them a LOT of money.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I thought that LG was originally going after North American PS3 imports. But LG went after Europe instead.

Vampanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vampanda
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Dannnggg, that would be a FAT waste to just destroy their consoles if they were found.
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

sounds like they wouldn't get away with that crap here in the U.S. so they tried a over liberal europe instead.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

A 10-day ban won't destroy Sony, but here's hoping it doesn't extend longer, otherwise I'll feel sorry for Playstation gamers in Europe.

If LG does win a settlement, I think Sony will probably revise the console so it doesn't function as a BluRay player, since that seems to be the principle complaint.

JKG33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JKG33
Member since 2006 • 656 Posts

A 10-day ban won't destroy Sony, but here's hoping it doesn't extend longer, otherwise I'll feel sorry for Playstation gamers in Europe.

If LG does win a settlement, I think Sony will probably revise the console so it doesn't function as a BluRay player, since that seems to be the principle complaint.

Enid_Green

but the games are on blu-ray discs. How could they not it make a blu-ray player?

fatherofsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 fatherofsol
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

all this means to me is the fact that i will never buy an lg product again for the rest of my life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

all this means to me is the fact that i will never buy an lg product again for the rest of my life.

fatherofsol
I don't see why you would anyway, their products are almost all completely terrible.
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

[QUOTE="Enid_Green"]

JKG33

but the games are on blu-ray discs. How could they not it make a blu-ray player?

Would it make more sense to just discontinue the console halfway through its lifetime because of the disc reader?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="JKG33"]

[QUOTE="Enid_Green"]

Enid_Green

Would it make more sense to just discontinue the console halfway through its lifetime because of the disc reader?

Quite frankly, yes. By changing to a format other than blu-ray, older PS3 games would not be compatible with the new PS3s, and likewise, new PS3 games would no longer be compatible with older systems.

It would make far more sense for Sony to just move on to the PS4 IF they are forced to give up the blu-ray drive. What will happen is Sony will probably pay LG hundreds of millions in the lawsuit, but they will still be able to sell PS3s. That's my guess, anyway.

Avatar image for MetsuHadoken123
MetsuHadoken123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MetsuHadoken123
Member since 2011 • 40 Posts
This is all so... stupid!
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I thought that LG was originally going after North American PS3 imports. But LG went after Europe instead.

Megavideogamer

I don't think they went after Europe specifically so much as it was that Europe was simply the first region to move forward with the case.

What will happen is Sony will probably pay LG hundreds of millions in the lawsuit, but they will still be able to sell PS3s. That's my guess, anyway.

Vari3ty

Yeah. I don't see any other way this can work in their favor. Hurriedly moving onto the PlayStation 4 as a result of this wouldn't be a good move, I'd think. They'll likely just go for reaching an agreement that continues to allow them use of the Blu-ray drives. Whether that involves them paying millions of dollors in settlement costs or not is still up in the air.

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

if they end up paying a big amount to settle, we may end up paying to play online for them to recoup that loss

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

sounds like they wouldn't get away with that crap here in the U.S. so they tried a over liberal europe instead.

duane27

There Suing Sony in the US as well.

IamBEASTMODE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IamBEASTMODE
Member since 2010 • 538 Posts

Yeah. I don't see any other way this can work in their favor. Hurriedly moving onto the PlayStation 4 as a result of this wouldn't be a good move, I'd think. They'll likely just go for reaching an agreement that continues to allow them use of the Blu-ray drives. Whether that involves them paying millions of dollors in settlement costs or not is still up in the air.

I agree, i think they'll end up coming to some sort of agreement - can you imagine that agreement would be to give LG a % of the profits made from every PS3 lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

I agree, i think they'll end up coming to some sort of agreement - can you imagine that agreement would be to give LG a % of the profits made from every PS3 lol

IamBEASTMODE
Considering the PS3 only became profitable in the middle of 2010, that wouldn't be a lot of money lol.
naz96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 naz96
Member since 2009 • 85 Posts

Well i have a ps3. So no worries. But are the servers also getting banned in EU?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Well i have a ps3. So no worries. But are the servers also getting banned in EU?

naz96
No, nothing like that will come from this. Sony just can't import PS3s from the factories to the EU. Retailers can and will still sell them (they have 3 weeks of supplies). Even if LG somehow completely wins and PS3s get banned permanently from being imported into the EU PS3 servers wouldn't be banned, LG's complains are only to do with hardware.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I'm with LG on this one.

Sony are the ones who started patent trolling LG, so this was their retaliation... Also gives something to Sony's legal department to focus on instead of suing their legitimate customers (geohot, graf), on top of them getting sued for removing OtherOS. Sorry it's hard for me to feel sorry for Sony at the moment with their legal team acting like complete idiots and their management removing features from the PS3 for no legitimate reason. Nice one LG hope you win or at least make Sony pay for acting like a total bunch of bastards.

And no I'm not an Xbox fanboy or Wiitard, I'm just an unhappy Sony customer (I own a PS1, PS2,PSP and two PS3's and many many games), I hate Microsoft with a passion and well you can guess what I think of the Wii. Shame I liked Sony products but unless they step back and sort their life out then I'm no longer a loyal customer nor will I purchase any games again (they get a cut out of all games sold).

This just makes me smile :).

edwardecl

You do realize what this means if LG wins it all. Retailers can't sell PS3's and then that means that they won't stock PS3 games and this leads to developers not supporting the console anymore. So your favoring LG over removing Linux support? Wow. The Jailbreak and Geholt went too far with the hacking and that is why Sony did what they did. So your supporting the potential denial of great games over Linux. That is sad.

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts
Last I heard they were going after north america? ah well, I'm from europe but I allready have a PS3 so its cool :)
pataponplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 pataponplayer
Member since 2009 • 1410 Posts

Sony's the one getting banned now. > : )

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

[QUOTE="edwardecl"]

I'm with LG on this one.

Sony are the ones who started patent trolling LG, so this was their retaliation... Also gives something to Sony's legal department to focus on instead of suing their legitimate customers (geohot, graf), on top of them getting sued for removing OtherOS. Sorry it's hard for me to feel sorry for Sony at the moment with their legal team acting like complete idiots and their management removing features from the PS3 for no legitimate reason. Nice one LG hope you win or at least make Sony pay for acting like a total bunch of bastards.

And no I'm not an Xbox fanboy or Wiitard, I'm just an unhappy Sony customer (I own a PS1, PS2,PSP and two PS3's and many many games), I hate Microsoft with a passion and well you can guess what I think of the Wii. Shame I liked Sony products but unless they step back and sort their life out then I'm no longer a loyal customer nor will I purchase any games again (they get a cut out of all games sold).

gamenerd15

You do realize what this means if LG wins it all. Retailers can't sell PS3's and then that means that they won't stock PS3 games and this leads to developers not supporting the console anymore. So your favoring LG over removing Linux support? Wow. The Jailbreak and Geholt went too far with the hacking and that is why Sony did what they did. So your supporting the potential denial of great games over Linux. That is sad.

And honestly, using "Derp, Sony removed Linux support" is not a reasonable excuse for hacking. Sony removed Linux support BECAUSE Hackers were using it to bypass their security.
NerdyDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NerdyDonut
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts
PS3's haven't been banned in Europe they are just being confiscated by customs until the legal issue is sorted out. All the confiscated units are being held up in a Dutch warehouse if anyone wants to know.
MrOrigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrOrigami
Member since 2009 • 1079 Posts
PS3's haven't been banned in Europe they are just being confiscated by customs until the legal issue is sorted out. All the confiscated units are being held up in a Dutch warehouse if anyone wants to know. NerdyDonut
Just to let you know, LG wanted those confiscated ps3s to be destroyed. Possibly, those ps3s has been either already been destroyed in 28th after confiscated from the import warehouse in Netherlands.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="edwardecl"]

I'm with LG on this one.

kieranb2000

And honestly, using "Derp, Sony removed Linux support" is not a reasonable excuse for hacking. Sony removed Linux support BECAUSE Hackers were using it to bypass their security.

It doesn't matter what it is. This is bad for gamers, developers, and everyone else. It is bad for gamers because PS3 games might not be sold anymore due to the hardware being banned. this means third parties will lose money because they can only put their game on one platform, or they won't make PS3 versions of games anymore due to the PS3 not existing. If LG won in Europe, they probably can win in America. Europe was the strongest foothold Sony had. If I were Sony I would be trying to settile so hard.

Also I don't want to be forced to pay for the online on the other system and have to skip out on games like Resistance and Uncharted 3 because LG had the system banned.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Oh great...and here I was looking forwards to Uncharted 3.
coltsfan4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coltsfan4ever
Member since 2006 • 2628 Posts

Enid_Green

Blu Ray is one of the main selling points of the PS3 if not THE main selling point. IF Sony is found to have violated LGs patents,they will have to shell out a ton of cash. Taking out the blu ray function will not be an option Sony will think about imo.

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

if they end up paying a big amount to settle, we may end up paying to play online for them to recoup that loss

fsurb28
LG sucks anyways. Me think's they're butthurt that ALL of their products SUCK, save for a few washing machines and 1 TV.
MrOrigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrOrigami
Member since 2009 • 1079 Posts

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

Cheesehead9099

LG sucks anyways. Me think's they're butthurt that ALL of their products SUCK, save for a few washing machines and 1 TV.

LOL, if LG sucks so hard, they wouldn't have been making so much profit, wouldn't they?

And butthurt about what? It was $ony who FIRST SUED LG first. So it was clear that $ony was butthurt about something with LG and decided to sue LG in December 2010.

People, please think before you post, just to make yourself NOT look like a complete tool.