Slim PS3 and Super Slim

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts

So with the release of the super slim today, what does everyone figure the timeframe is on the price drops for the slims? My launch 60gb died for the second time about a month ago and rather than go through all the trouble of getting it fixed only for it to die again I'm in the market for a new PS3.

I don't really like the new super slim mechanic of opening and loading so I am hoping that the slim will drop in price or hit the clearance shelves soon. Anyone know if they plan to drop the prices on the slims or are they going to keep them where they are? I've been looking around to see if there were any drops or plans for drops without any luch so far :(

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

nobody is going to announce a price drop on their console until just before they actually drop it. otherwise, people wont buy any consoles until the price drop.

anyway, expect black friday clearance deals from retailers.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
xmas holiday, maybe thanksgiving. around that time ull see a price drop, or at least a sale going on
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
Black Friday is your best bet. Other than that I wouldn't anticipate a price drop until we get near release of next gen consoles.
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dysantic
Really? I was thinking that Sony would want to push the super slim much more now that its the newest product. But I guess based off the complete lack of advertising for it, they dont care which one sells more. Now to decide if I want to take the plunge on the super slim or a slim...
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I liked the new Super Slim PS3 sliding door, it's just like the PS2 Slim disc player inside.. less fancy that's a good thing.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
I liked the new Super Slim PS3 sliding door, it's just like the PS2 Slim disc player inside.. less fancy that's a good thing.Dogswithguns
I actually like the super slim better than the Regular slims. I always thought the regular slims were so plain and way to freaking wide. IDK why people think the new slims are ugly/cheap, looks fine to me.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]I liked the new Super Slim PS3 sliding door, it's just like the PS2 Slim disc player inside.. less fancy that's a good thing.Nengo_Flow
I actually like the super slim better than the Regular slims. I always thought the regular slims were so plain and way to freaking wide. IDK why people think the new slims are ugly/cheap, looks fine to me.

I really like the LOOK of the super slim. I"m eager to find out if it runs cool/quiet. My current slim is getting a little loud in terms of fan noise and gets a little hot. By now they should be able to have redesigned the internals to be so cool that there should barely be a need for a fan.

I can't say I'm a fan of the "sliding" top, I much prefer the slot loading drive, but that is relatively unimportant to me. It's just the one thing I am not a fan of.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dysantic
It's just the mechanism that opens the sliding door seems really cheap. You go from slot loading sexyness to pushing a button and a horrible noise and uneasy sliding of a plastic door. Just seems a little tacky and I also am not too confident in how long it will last. lol
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
It's just the mechanism that opens the sliding door seems really cheap. You go from slot loading sexyness to pushing a button and a horrible noise and uneasy sliding of a plastic door. Just seems a little tacky and I also am not too confident in how long it will last. lolDysantic
i think it will last longer than the slot loading tray. simple parts tend to do that.
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dysantic
Simple and cheaply made parts tend to break much easier as well. My slot load on my old PS3 was flawless since launch. It was pretty much everything else that ended up breaking or dieing on it to force me into this situation of a new system. lol. I just wish I could get my hands on a super slim to look at it before buying but I know for a fact I won't find one out of box anytime soon to inspect before buying...
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="Dysantic"]It's just the mechanism that opens the sliding door seems really cheap. You go from slot loading sexyness to pushing a button and a horrible noise and uneasy sliding of a plastic door. Just seems a little tacky and I also am not too confident in how long it will last. lolLoG-Sacrament
i think it will last longer than the slot loading tray. simple parts tend to do that.

True. It may be "cheaper" but it will probably last longer than the rest of the PS3. Reliability shouldn't be a concern IMIO. To me the only concern is the aesthetics, and that possibly the flimsy top will let more "disc-drive" noise be audible.

motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Dysantic"]It's just the mechanism that opens the sliding door seems really cheap. You go from slot loading sexyness to pushing a button and a horrible noise and uneasy sliding of a plastic door. Just seems a little tacky and I also am not too confident in how long it will last. lol2Chalupas

True. It may be "cheaper" but it will probably last longer than the rest of the PS3. Reliability shouldn't be a concern IMIO. To me the only concern is the aesthetics, and that possibly the flimsy top will let more "disc-drive" noise be audible.

Exactly. There's really no reason why this model should be considered as unreliable, just because some of the plastic looks cheap. If anything, all signs are pointing towards this model being the most reliable of them all, for those who take care of their consoles.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Black Friday may be your best bet. If Sony was smart they would cut the price of the old PS3 Slims 160 & 320Gigers to counter the launch of the Wii U. Or Christmas sales later at Best Buy, Walmart and the like.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dysantic

Just to update the whole situation. I went out today and bought a super slim. The size of it is unbeleivable compared to my launch and the drive bay is tacky, but isn't as bad as I was expecting.

I plugged everything in, started it up and thought I heard a bit of an odd click every so often on the system. I went on setting it up keeping an ear out and didnt hear it very much as time went on. I then shut it down to go eat some dinner, came back about 45 minutes later, turned it on and heard the worst noise I've ever heard before. Sounded like the fan was griding against something. I picked it up, moved it around, gave it a gentle shake and no change. So back in the box to exchange it tomorrow at Futureshop...

Not a good start Sony :/

dewc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dewc1
Member since 2005 • 725 Posts
That's not good! Did you have it running for any time when you set it up? I am wondering about heat vs the slim model.
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dysantic

I had it running for about an hour straight or so. I didn't feel any extreme heat coming off the system, but all I was doing was installing my purchases from the PS store and setting up stuff. All for nothing though since I had to reformat the HDD and bring it back. I'm actually leaving right now to return it...

dewc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dewc1
If you have time, please update us in freezes and how hot it gets. Cannot believe they left the psu internal on this model. Thanks and I hope you have better luck with this new one.
dewc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dewc1
Sorry to keep bothering you, but I am really considering this new ps3. Really concerned about system failures as I would not have the funds to replace/repair it. Heat is what concerns me most. I hope they figured a way for it to run cooler, especially when using Netflix or watching DVD/bluray.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

Just to update the whole situation. I went out today and bought a super slim. The size of it is unbeleivable compared to my launch and the drive bay is tacky, but isn't as bad as I was expecting.

I plugged everything in, started it up and thought I heard a bit of an odd click every so often on the system. I went on setting it up keeping an ear out and didnt hear it very much as time went on. I then shut it down to go eat some dinner, came back about 45 minutes later, turned it on and heard the worst noise I've ever heard before. Sounded like the fan was griding against something. I picked it up, moved it around, gave it a gentle shake and no change. So back in the box to exchange it tomorrow at Futureshop...

Not a good start Sony :/

Dysantic
How was the sliding Disc cover, did it feel cheap? was it thick plastic or was it thin? (like if something were to fall on the cover do you think it would it break easy)
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dysantic

The plastic cover does feel tacky, but isnt as bad as I was expecting. I'm not sure what your planning to drop on it, but unless you punch it with some pretty good force I'm sure it will be able to withstand some beating. Keeping it closed is another story. The slightest slide to open it without pushing the actual open button causes it to slide open exposing the disc. I don't really like that too much, but when its in use or not in use, no one really touches my system so I don't have much to worry about. The thing I think would be the biggest concern towards the door is the latch that holds it closed gets weaker and then it will never close, but that will only happen after probably thousands of opens and closes on the thing. Only time will tell.

As for the heat, I really only set up the new one for like an hour and then went to a friends to watch some football. I'm sure they wouldnt release a product that will overheat at such a rate it will catch fire or anything. Compared to my 60GB, this thing was running as quiet as a mouse when installing the latest firmware and some demo's. I popped in a disc and the cd drive was louder than when it was just running on its own, but it was still much quieter than my 60gb ever was. But to comment on the heat, I'd have to play it for 2 hours and then I can comment. Hopefully tonight I'll have some time to actually start playing something.

dewc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dewc1
How is the new ps3 working out? Good buy, or should we all keep/buy slims while we still can?
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]I liked the new Super Slim PS3 sliding door, it's just like the PS2 Slim disc player inside.. less fancy that's a good thing.2Chalupas

I really like the LOOK of the super slim. I"m eager to find out if it runs cool/quiet. My current slim is getting a little loud in terms of fan noise and gets a little hot. By now they should be able to have redesigned the internals to be so cool that there should barely be a need for a fan.

I can't say I'm a fan of the "sliding" top, I much prefer the slot loading drive, but that is relatively unimportant to me. It's just the one thing I am not a fan of.

the sliding top is cheaper made, but thats the point to get costs down and make it smaller. it's already been confirmed by sony and by a view websites that it is slightly noisier than the slim because of how close to the outside the disc sits and thats the only reason, but it isn't that bad, i like it and may invest in one sometime down the line before christmas maybe, but i have a fatps3 still and it's working fine and i'm convinced next year will be the year the new consoles will surface and may even have a christmas release, all the game companies are working on titles for next gen now so it can't be that long now.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sony will not have an official sale on the PS3 160GB and PS3 320GB models. But during black firday retails may have sales to get rid of the old stock. For the new PS3 Superslims 250GB and 500GB bundles. Since for now these superSlims come with "pack in" games. Uncharted 3 GOY and Assasins Creed 3. Plus 30days of PSplus and some DLC for the Dust 214. Downloadable game.

So here is hoping for Best Buy, Walmart, etc coming with their own sales for the regular slims.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dysantic
How is the new ps3 working out? Good buy, or should we all keep/buy slims while we still can?dewc1
To be honest I haven't had a heck of alot of time to play it so far. It's been a busy last couple of days. Plus when I do have the time, all I'm doing is installing all my games so I don't have to do it later. But my initial reactions are that the blu-ray drive is a little louder than my fat PS3 or even the slim, mostly because the only thing seperating the disc from open air is the plastic cover. But while installing everything so far I haven't even heard the fan for the system and even the spinning of the disc is a whisper compared to how loud my fat 60GB, even when it was right out of the box. So I'm happy so far, but still haven't put it through the paces of a full hour or so of gaming.