Should I play GOW2 just so I can play GOW3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
When I owned a PS2, I played GOW1(great game) but I had already moved on to other games and consoles when GOW2 came out, so I never got to play it. Should I play that before GOW3 comes out? Or is there any real continuity between the games(like someone in GOW3 might noy make sense if I hadn't played GOW1 or GOW2)? Any help is appreciated.
USMC_Sn1per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 USMC_Sn1per
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts
yes get gow2!
codalloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 codalloo
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
You'll probably be able to understand the story of God of War 3 without playing the second installment, but come on, it's God of War, play it anyway, it's freakin' sweet.
jrlc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 jrlc1
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts

yes.

GOW2 is not a complete game per se, it's kind of like the first half of a game. You'd need to play it to understand GOW3.

ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ElectronicMagic
I was afraid of that, alright. I guess I will have to do that.
jrlc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 jrlc1
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts

afraid of that?

wth, GOW2 is a great game. I don't think you will not enjoy it. YOu make it seem as if playing games is a chore.

ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ElectronicMagic
Playing last gen games is a chore for me. I have come too accustomed to HD and great graphics. I might just skip GOW3.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
You'd be missing out on a great game if you pass up GoW2... even by so-called next-gen standards it's a masterpiece...
bkslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bkslayer
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts

Playing last gen games is a chore for me. I have come too accustomed to HD and great graphics. I might just skip GOW3.ElectronicMagic

lol, GoW2 is a next-gen game compared to some of the garbage released on these consoles. I swear to you, you will not feel anything "last gen" with this game, graphics are great, beautiful art, 60 fps, and no loading except from the beginning of the game. how many 360/ps3 games does this today?

bukato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bukato
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

Playing last gen games is a chore for me. I have come too accustomed to HD and great graphics. I might just skip GOW3.ElectronicMagic

dude, in terms off graphics, if you run this game in 480p with the cheat, it will look like a low end 360 game graphically. how can you not want to play GoW 2.god of war games are known to look the best of any game on the console its on. psp and ps2, and make your system sweat. its so freaking epic i may have to find you and force you to play it and take in all its epicness.

ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ElectronicMagic
lol. I see you guys really want me to go on ahead and play GOW2. Al right, I will. I played and beat the original God of War and I thought that it was probably the best action adventure game I had ever played. But there are just so many this gen games I want to play and I don't have a lot of time or money to play them. Heck, I'm even getting rid of my Wii because the games take way too long to complete(30 to 50 hours for SMG, Legend of Zelda the twilight princess and Okami) so I can buy some true this gen games.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

lol. I see you guys really want me to go on ahead and play GOW2. Al right, I will. I played and beat the original God of War and I thought that it was probably the best action adventure game I had ever played. But there are just so many this gen games I want to play and I don't have a lot of time or money to play them. Heck, I'm even getting rid of my Wii because the games take way too long to complete(30 to 50 hours for SMG, Legend of Zelda the twilight princess and Okami) so I can buy some true this gen games.ElectronicMagic

What? So because your getting your monies worth you're selling your Wii?? You know what, I could explain how dumb that is, but your time is better spent just clicking here.

PS: GOW 2 might take you about 30 hours to complete.

Avatar image for TOTAL_DEFENSE_0
TOTAL_DEFENSE_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 TOTAL_DEFENSE_0
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts
You should play it just because GoW2 is an amazing game. However, you should play it because God of War 3 picks up right where God of War 2 left off (supposedly).
loggerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loggerz
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts

No you shouldn't play it because GOW3 is coming out.

You should play GOW 2 because It's one of the best PS2 games out there.

SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
I agree with loggerz. It's one of the best PS2 games that came out and none can beat it besides the FF games. Just get it, it should be cheap now anyway. The thing is that you might also want to get it because you want to know the back story and what happened before you get to the third game, otherwise you won't know a lot of things when you get to it.
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ElectronicMagic

[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]lol. I see you guys really want me to go on ahead and play GOW2. Al right, I will. I played and beat the original God of War and I thought that it was probably the best action adventure game I had ever played. But there are just so many this gen games I want to play and I don't have a lot of time or money to play them. Heck, I'm even getting rid of my Wii because the games take way too long to complete(30 to 50 hours for SMG, Legend of Zelda the twilight princess and Okami) so I can buy some true this gen games.jeremiah06

What? So because your getting your monies worth you're selling your Wii?? You know what, I could explain how dumb that is, but your time is better spent just clicking here.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my Wii because of it's last generation graphics, long as heck games where you have to read the entire story because the compaines that made the games were too cheap to put in voice acting, and because I'm getting tired of having to sit a certain way for my Wii remote to work. I end up having to sit on my bed because there just isn't enough room in my bedroom to be able to get the Wii remote to work properly. Then I have an awesome game chair that I can't use because there isn't enough room for me to sit in it and still have my Wii remote work properly(although it hardly ever does anyway. Believe me, I'm not trying to knock the Wii, I'm not a fanboy and this isn't system wars. I really enjoy the games I got for it(Okami, RE4, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilighy Princess, ect), it's just that they(except RE4) take between 30 and 50 hours to beat and you have to read the entire story. But we are getting off topic here...

If God Of War 2 takes 30 hours to complete, that's fine with me. As long as I don't have to read the story. I loved the first God of War, I just didn't want to play GOW2 if there wasn't any continuity in the story(Like nothing in the first game really effects the story of the second or third kind of thing).

Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
I actually decided recently to go back and play gow 2 because i'm in the same situation. I have no regrets because this is one of those games that makes me appreciate how far the systems have come. I it is a real chore for you you could just go to wikipedia to fill in the blanks and go to you tube to see the cool cut scenes. You might be cheating yourself but it will save you time.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jeremiah06
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"]

[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]lol. I see you guys really want me to go on ahead and play GOW2. Al right, I will. I played and beat the original God of War and I thought that it was probably the best action adventure game I had ever played. But there are just so many this gen games I want to play and I don't have a lot of time or money to play them. Heck, I'm even getting rid of my Wii because the games take way too long to complete(30 to 50 hours for SMG, Legend of Zelda the twilight princess and Okami) so I can buy some true this gen games.ElectronicMagic

I'm thinking about getting rid of my Wii because of it's last generation graphics, long as heck games where you have to read the entire story because the compaines that made the games were too cheap to put in voice acting, and because I'm getting tired of having to sit a certain way for my Wii remote to work. I end up having to sit on my bed because there just isn't enough room in my bedroom to be able to get the Wii remote to work properly. Then I have an awesome game chair that I can't use because there isn't enough room for me to sit in it and still have my Wii remote work properly(although it hardly ever does anyway. Believe me, I'm not trying to knock the Wii, I'm not a fanboy and this isn't system wars. I really enjoy the games I got for it(Okami, RE4, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilighy Princess, ect), it's just that they(except RE4) take between 30 and 50 hours to beat and you have to read the entire story. But we are getting off topic here...

If God Of War 2 takes 30 hours to complete, that's fine with me. As long as I don't have to read the story. I loved the first God of War, I just didn't want to play GOW2 if there wasn't any continuity in the story(Like nothing in the first game really effects the story of the second or third kind of thing).

OK, I guess I misunderstood you, but all the GOW games take place right after the last. I can't speak on GOW 3 because no details about the game specificity has been released, but The developer said that he wants to end the store with this game so it only makes sense that the story will continue where 2 left off and after you see the ending of 2 you will agree. Also I bought the game like 5-6 months ago for $17 so it should be the same price or cheaper, deferentially worth picking up GOW 2 completely trumps the first in every aspect so if you liked GOW then you'll love GOW 2

burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts

When I owned a PS2, I played GOW1(great game) but I had already moved on to other games and consoles when GOW2 came out, so I never got to play it. Should I play that before GOW3 comes out? Or is there any real continuity between the games(like someone in GOW3 might noy make sense if I hadn't played GOW1 or GOW2)? Any help is appreciated.ElectronicMagic

Even if you don't intend to play GOW3, you must play GOW2

We are talking about a great game here.

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts

It took me 20 or less to beat GOW2. If it takes you 30HRS to beat GOW2 then you must of had a heck of a hard time with it.

I recommend you play the first 2 GOW's so that you can understand what the whole story/situation is about.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
You definitely need to expereince GOW2 before getting to play GOW3. The story continues right after GOW2 so its crucial to play from a story point of view. I know the game is last gen but it holds up really well against current gen games especially gameplay wise, infact I would say its the best hack-n-slash game out right now. The only downside of playing GOW2 is that it would make the wait for GOW3 unbareable.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
God of War series is overated.
itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

You'll probably be able to understand the story of God of War 3 without playing the second installment, but come on, it's God of War, play it anyway, it's freakin' sweet.codalloo

Yeah, you don't really have to play it, but what the heck, give it a shot.

8)

bukato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bukato
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

[QUOTE="codalloo"]You'll probably be able to understand the story of God of War 3 without playing the second installment, but come on, it's God of War, play it anyway, it's freakin' sweet.itwiz90

Yeah, you don't really have to play it, but what the heck, give it a shot.

8)

are you kidding me here? GOW2 ends in a cliff hanger. of course he is going to need to play it.

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
No. You should play GoW2 because GoW2 is a great game.
OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts

The first thing I did after having finished God of War 2 was to start a new game. Every aspect of the game isup among the best there is, nothing is left wanting apart from a little screen tearing which doesn't get in the way of the action.

I'll even make the bold claim that Spielberg should have taken from notes from GoW2 before directing Indy 4.

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts

omg... no comments. GOW2 is better than most of the "next-gen" games you talk about.

SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts

God of War series is overated.skp_16

just as your gaming rate capacities, Oo.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jeremiah06

It took me 20 or less to beat GOW2. If it takes you 30HRS to beat GOW2 then you must of had a heck of a hard time with it.

I recommend you play the first 2 GOW's so that you can understand what the whole story/situation is about.

email2003

yea what were you playing on easy??? and I said it might take you!! not did, it only took me 22 hours to beat it on hard and about 30 or so on Titian

danduron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danduron
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts
get it. NOW.

seriously.

like, i'm sure you can get by and pick up on the story, but GoW2 is SOOO good! there's no point in missing out on it, especially since it's like $14.99 at Gamestop! i played through the first one again recently, and it was SO good! it's a game that actually holds up well, even a few years and a new generation of games later! i'm sure GoW2 is even better! Chains of Olympus was super nice too. i'm SO hyped for GoW3...
AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
no, u should play gow2 because it's f***ing awesome