Should I go out and buy a PSP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SBF9304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 SBF9304
Member since 2004 • 309 Posts

My cousin just got one, and I wasn't really interested. He had Star Wars Oblivion or some you know just shoot shoot game.

But however on the main PSP menu, it had all these things like Movies, Videos, Music, and even Internet. Assuming of course you have to upload movies on the device, what about this Internet?

Can you just buy a PSP go home, enter the WEP key or go to a hotspot and automatically go on the Internet? Or do you need something extra for that? Also, how good is the Internet? Is it fast? Can you do youtube.com on the Internet? Can you play Runescape and other on-line games?

For music and pictures and videos, do you have to buy something extra to be able to do those things?

How much does a PSP cost (the one I'm talking about with Internet, Vidoes, Music)? I'm looking at a price range of $150-$180 (no more than $180*!)

*$180 if sold at FYE, otherwise more like $165. I get a 10% discount at FYE, so $180 -> down to -> $162.

SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts

Okay, I hope I can answer your questions!

Yup, all you have to do is hook up to a network the same way you would with a computer and it's free. It's relatively fast, but obviously typing is pretty difficult. I haven't tried youtube, but I'm assuming you can't play Runescape.

Music, pictures and videos are all free. The only thing you need is a memory stick to upload them to. You can buy all sorts of memory sticks, and if you buy a Sony brand one, you can use it on all their electronics. You just upload them from your computer with a plain old USB wire or through a memory stick slot and play 'em.

All PSPs have internet/videos/music. All of that stuff is standard issue. I'm pretty sure you can buy the core pack for $130 (which is just the system). If you want a set that comes with a big memory stick, a game, a movie and a few extras, I think that's $200.

Hope I helped!

GamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GamingMind
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts
yes u should cuz u can go on internet with wep code and rss channel and get movies and music and stuff for game reccomendations i this grand theft auto liberty city/vice city stories and/or god of war chains of olympus
SBF9304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SBF9304

If you want a set that comes with a big memory stick, a game, a movie and a few extras, I think that's $200

Wow, just for an extra $70 for all that, cool. I'll have to ask about memory sticks tomorrow (If any memory stick works, then perhaps I could use my 4GB I use for my laptop).

Also, one question I forgot, how long is battery life?

Thanks, though. Your response really helped.

gonzales1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 gonzales1
Member since 2003 • 2591 Posts
Not any memory stick will work. You will need a Memory Stick Pro Duo that is Magic Gate compatible.
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts
yes the psp certainly have a few of those shoot shoot games.
rawbwilsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 rawbwilsh
Member since 2003 • 1149 Posts
dont buy it for the internet. the internet is terrible on it, worse than a cell phone. Go buy the ipod touch with wifi
SBF9304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SBF9304
What about movies? I see they have actual movies (like Transporter 1 & 2) for PSP. How well do they work, or would a portable DVD player do better?
Just_This

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Just_This
Member since 2008 • 72 Posts

I get like 8 hours of battery life if I am just listening to music with the screen off, but like 4 hours if I am playing a game. Once you get the internet hooked up, it is actually pretty fast, but I don't think you can stream video.(you can download short movies and pics off the internet onto your memory card)

ps. if you get one with a pretty good memory card, go online and download like 20 free game demos the first day, its a good way to have fun w/out spending money.

R_MAHIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R_MAHIL
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts
the internet is o.k. nothing special. can't do youtube or online games.
SBF9304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SBF9304

Thanks. I basically got the same.

Battery life - yes, 3-4 hours for games and movies; that really sucks. iPod touch is better; 15-20 hours for video.

Movies - They really do play great; but they cost more than DVD. Might be better with iPod touch still although; uploading movies is something that would be next to impossible (oh yeah, its not IMPOSSIBLE; just really difficult)

Games - Can do certain ones; I mean you download them so that's something. iPod touch really can't, but yet again you can do certain games. Just of course no blue ribbon ones like Runescape. None that require flash for both. Then of course PSP has its own games.

YouTube - Rumor has it; that it can be done for the PSP*. But I wonder if its healthy for the PSP. At least some youtube can be done for the iPod. (the SB Tide commercial works; video walkthru of game Sinking Island or one of them kept saying loading)

Internet - It is rather slow on PSP; but not like the DS from what I heard. Kind of like a cell phone. For the iPod there's no problem.

Cost - FYE members unfortunately don't get discouns on systems. So the MADDEN 2009 bundle is $200; and not $180. An 8GBruns for about $235.

*If anyone is interested into how youtube can be done on PSP; I'll post back with the link.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
its a great system but if your buying it for internet then the ipod touch would be the better choice