Should I buy Yellowdog Linux for the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ynfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 ynfive
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts
although a downloadable 3.5G iso of the yellowdog PS3 linux port is downloadable through an ftp, it seems there is a pakaged version that includes two DVDs, an install disk and a source disk. Since the ftp is free I see no reason not to experiment with that first as long as I can get to a friends house with a DVD burner. Im curious if anyone had experience with the pakaged version. Its 50 bucks, still cheaper than a game, but what does it offer more than the iso already available?
brownwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 brownwhale
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
you mean there is a free version, is linux good and pretty fast, because I have a keyboard and mouse for my PS3 and would like to put an OS on it to use them.
ynfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 ynfive
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts
The iso is free apparently http://mirror.anl.gov/yellowdog/iso it is version 5 that you want. view the readme. Also check the main site out terrasoftsolutions.com my only worry is that the iso is worthless without the install disk.
Hoover6789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hoover6789
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts
Sorry I don't know about the Linux question but to the post about about the keyboard and mouse they should already work without adding an OS to the PS3.
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

I believe the iso are the same as the package. So just get the iso and burn them.Save you $50 and you can use that money to buy a game.

brownwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brownwhale
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
Yeah, they do, they work great but i stopped using them because I don't like scooting up to my desk all the time.