Should I buy a ps3 now or wait until the ps4 launches?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kwiksilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Kwiksilva
Member since 2004 • 467 Posts

I have been thinking about getting a new system I will either be buying the Wii U or the ps3 I will def. be getting the ps4 when it comes out I currently have a 360 and wii. Is it worth it just to wait for the ps4 and play all ps3 games from the ps4? Has anything been confirmed about backwards compatibility yet? I know there were rumors it might not be.

jrymcmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jrymcmb
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
well considering there has been zero announcement about a new Playstation, you might be waiting a while lol, possibly till late 2013 early 2014 Just go get you one, and if you wanna save some money grab a used one, just make sure it hasn't been opened :D
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#3 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

PS3 exclusives make getting the PS3 a must, nothing like them anywhere else.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#4 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Sony said they will continue to support the PS3 until 2015. This does not mean however that there won't be a PS4 before that, just they will keep supporting the PS3 on the market.

You should look at the exclusives, multiplats you can play on 360 and most of which are virtually identical to their PS3 counterparts. So look at games like Uncharted, Little Big Planet, God of War, Killzone etc...if these games appeal to you then I say go for it.

One great thing about PS3 though is you don't have to pay to play online. So you can experience your full game without any strings attached.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
PS4 isnt coming out soon, and even if it is, going by Sony's recent business tactics, chances are they will throw away PS3 backward compatibility for some stupid reason.
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Just get a PlayStation 3. Nothing's been announced yet so there will be plenty of time to enjoy your PS3 to the fullest.

Even if the 4th PlayStation was announced, it would take a while to be released.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

PS4 isnt coming out soon, and even if it is, going by Sony's recent business tactics, chances are they will throw away PS3 backward compatibility for some stupid reason.funsohng

Based on hardware speculation it's already been pretty well all but confirmed the PS4 won't be backward's compatable. Backward compatability relies heavily on the processor used. Sony is not going to be using the cell processor anymore. They are going with an AMD chip. There will be some ports of ps3 games I'm sure.. but you won't see ps3 games working on a ps4.

This is all speculation mind you.

Avatar image for Norman-Mckenzie
Norman-Mckenzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Norman-Mckenzie
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
there are tons of games on the ps3. if you wait for next gen there will be few games at first
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a new system I will either be buying the Wii U or the ps3...Kwiksilva
If the games are there on PS3, then by all means pick one up. No one knows when PS4 is coming so if you decide to wait it's up in the air how long you'll be twiddling your thumbs. Whereas PS3 is still a worthwhile investment right now.
TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
There are always fantastic PS3 bundles on Black Friday. If you can't make it out then there are usually gift card deals in December.
kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
Get PS3 on black friday if you can wait that long and add uncharted series,demo souls and folklore and Valkryria chronicles to ps3 game collection
PostulatorOF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PostulatorOF
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Well... if u want to have fun with PS4, that must be a looooong wait! It always takes a long period of time for the games on a system be many and fun enough. E.g., my vita's retiring since there aren't new games.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]PS4 isnt coming out soon, and even if it is, going by Sony's recent business tactics, chances are they will throw away PS3 backward compatibility for some stupid reason.Bishop1310

Based on hardware speculation it's already been pretty well all but confirmed the PS4 won't be backward's compatable. Backward compatability relies heavily on the processor used. Sony is not going to be using the cell processor anymore. They are going with an AMD chip. There will be some ports of ps3 games I'm sure.. but you won't see ps3 games working on a ps4.

This is all speculation mind you.

Its a good enough one to stop me from selling it to get ps4 later
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

It's naow! or nevaaaah!

Kwiksilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kwiksilva

Yeah I am anticipating them revealing at E3 and then either selling it fall 2013 or early 2014. I don't think playstation will let the competition get so far ahead like they did in the past my problem is if it comes out fall next year I can wait to play the games but if not I may want to pick one up soon. There is also the Wii U which has recently begun to look much more interesting plus I have owned all Nintendo systems to date. The only system I did not get to experience this gen was ps3 but I am planning on it being one of my main systems next gen. No rumors related to the new xbox has me interested in it plus when you lose over 30 games save data because of a network error I no longer trust thaqt brand especially when you put over 400 hours into mass effect through various play throughs.

Kwiksilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kwiksilva

Basically looking forward to experiencing all consoles next gen but I still want to try some of the great ps3 tites out now. Wish I had more time to game these days but gotta pay the bills.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Late gen is the best time, you can find older games for cheap and plunder the backlog.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

When the PS4 is announced it'll probably be some time before it's released. You may as well get the PS3 now, with lots of games that should keep you busy.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
unless you want to wait for around a year or more for PS4 then just get the PS3 now.
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
There are always fantastic PS3 bundles on Black Friday. If you can't make it out then there are usually gift card deals in December. TheDidact
This. There may not be a price cut for the PS3 anytime soon, but considering the 160GB version (bundled with Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, I believe) sold for $200 during last year's Black Friday sales, I'd say it's all but guaranteed we'll see a similar bundle for the same price this year. And at $200, regardless of the bundled game, that's a reasonable enough price to pick up a PS3. Grab half a dozen PS3 exclusives (likely priced at $15 apiece or less) and you've got yourself a pretty awesome slice of holiday gaming for around $300.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#21 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i bought one recently, i don't hav e to buy a blu ray now and i can buy some pretty rad games. So i would buy one if you get a good price
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
Since the PS4 has not even been announced, and the PS3 has an awesome lineup, there is no reason not to get a PS3, unless maybe you already have a 360 (I am of the opinion that there is no reason to own both).