should demons souls difficulty be revised and released again??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jaidev004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jaidev004
Member since 2004 • 358 Posts

I think this game would do phenomenally well if they released an edition with the option of more saves or checkpoints so more gamers would buy it before the release of dark souls

Also bear in mind Devil May cry 3 also was released again in a lesser difficulty on ps2 so they could do the same

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
I'll probably have a lot of people flame me for this, but I would have been phenomenally happier with the game as a whole if they implemented something as simple as checkpoints halfway through each stage.
iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iamshivy
Member since 2007 • 3565 Posts

the difficulty is what made that game what it is, with out it, itwould be just a another lame rpg

lostfan132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 lostfan132
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

no, thats what makes the game beloved/hated, if you lower the difficulty the game becomes a short action rpg.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#5 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

I'd still love it

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Heck no-- get better or DIE!!!!!!! lol

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

no, thats what makes the game beloved/hated, if you lower the difficulty the game becomes a short action rpg.

lostfan132

Old school video games penalized you for dying to artificially extend the length of the game, either due to bad game design or technical limitations. Now a modern game does it and it's original and brilliant? I thought that we, as gamers, were supposed to expect more from our video games than that.

For the record, forcing players to restart the level when thy die doesn't make the game harder, it makes the game less forgiving. The fact that I have to repeat the whole section i just cleared for the fifth time because I just can't get the dodge timing down on that black skeleton is more annoying than it is difficult.

dgrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dgrief
Member since 2009 • 82 Posts

After many frustrating hours w/ Demon's Souls I thought the exact same thing many, many times. After a full year of owning the game, I have yet to beat it due to my shear lack of patience. This game has beat the B out of my leisure gaming Bass...and for some sick reason I love it for that very reason. I don't have the time to dedicate to gaming as many...other hobbies and interests, but this game and soon, hopefully, Dark Souls will be my gaming dominatrix for many years to come.

But seriously, I know the self-proclaimed "hardcore" crew would hate the notion of lowering the difficulty, but at least, at the very least, give Dark Souls the "Hard" and "Effing Insane" difficulty levels. I would like to experience the end...the reward of my purchase some day.

Or not..."Yes, Mistress FromSoftwear, may I have another?"

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
I beat the game so I don't care if they release a second version or add a patch etc... But IMO the game wouldn't feel the same.
evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts

[QUOTE="lostfan132"]

Greyfeld

Old school video games penalized you for dying to artificially extend the length of the game, either due to bad game design or technical limitations. Now a modern game does it and it's original and brilliant? I thought that we, as gamers, were supposed to expect more from our video games than that.

For the record, forcing players to restart the level when thy die doesn't make the game harder, it makes the game less forgiving. The fact that I have to repeat the whole section i just cleared for the fifth time because I just can't get the dodge timing down on that black skeleton is more annoying than it is difficult.

Yaaay someone who shares my opinion on DS. I wholeheartedly agree with this point. Sure, DS wasn't something you could just button mash in, but the combat wasn't actually that difficult, it was just tedious and boring. And like Greyfeld said, cheap deaths leading to a half-health state and going back to the start of the level doesn't make it hard, just unforgiving. And ultimately just makes the game annoying and repetitive.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Honestly, the game is not hard at all. You have to learn from your mistakes and be PATIENT! That's the key to beating the game. I know the other day, I was playing on my 2nd playthrough and I kept dying because I was not patient. I was running up to the enemies and hacking at them while not blocking at all. When I played today, I didn't die once because I blocked and was patient. I managed to beat 3 bosses without any problems.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

No that would change the game completely

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Yes, it should be much harder.

jaidev004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaidev004
Member since 2004 • 358 Posts

GX Gear stop showing off lol!! If Devil may cry 3's difficulty can be defanged in their special edition so should Demon's souls! Not everyone has the time ans patience to replay and gaming should be an enjoyable experience rather than being a frustrating one!!

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I'm not showing off...:?

The game is punishing for sure, but not hard. Everything spawns at the exact location every time, the AI isn't super smart and drops aggro with enough distance.

Sprock26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sprock26
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

Honestly, the game is not hard at all. You have to learn from your mistakes and be PATIENT! That's the key to beating the game. I know the other day, I was playing on my 2nd playthrough and I kept dying because I was not patient. I was running up to the enemies and hacking at them while not blocking at all. When I played today, I didn't die once because I blocked and was patient. I managed to beat 3 bosses without any problems.

ExoticAnimal

Exactly. This game isnt impossible as people think - but if people dont learn from their mistakesthen its their ownproblem. When me and a buddy played this for the first time, we were like "this is impossible" and quit. Next day i thought "this cant be that hard" and turned it on again. We then continued to beat some where around 3-4bosses. Ofcouse not without deads or anything, but after we learn to adapt to our mistakes it wasnt that hard.

A lower difficulty would make a whole "new" game, where you could just button mass away! We got games like GOW and others for that.

DS is unforgiving - yes - but the difficulty makes the game what it is.

P.S. the first time you got yourfingers squeezed in a doorway - did you learn to remove your fingers or think they should remove all doors? :)

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

I think this game would do phenomenally well if they released an edition with the option of more saves or checkpoints so more gamers would buy it before the release of dark souls

Also bear in mind Devil May cry 3 also was released again in a lesser difficulty on ps2 so they could do the same

jaidev004

no, its one of the things that makes this game good. so, no i dont agree. the difficulty should be the same.

evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
the reason the gaem is considered so good i becasue of the difficulty. if you lower it then its just another generic rpg.
VexxRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 VexxRed
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts

Demons Souls is perfect the way it is.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

If Demon Souls wasn't hard I don't think anyone would care about it.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

It might not be a bad idea. Everyone who wanted to play the game and enjoys the level of difficulty has probably already played it by now, this would be bringing in other players who need something a bit more accessible or forgiving. I wouldn't mind terribly if they added in an actual co-op mode as well, instead of the summoning stuff. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the phantom system, but the game could also be fun online with a friend without having to worry about one person being in soul form and one in body form and hoping no one else summons you.

I like the game as it is, but none of my friends have been up for playing it in its current form.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
No, we don't want another Oblivion... Just need to look at enemies and they died that game was terrible for it's stupidly easy gameplay... I like Demon's Souls as it gave you something to think about without just rushing in and killing whatever is around the corner.
Michael622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Michael622
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

A lower difficulty would make a whole "new" game, where you could just button mass away! We got games like GOW and others for that.

Sprock26

I don't think the TC is saying that the enemies or level design should be changed (or at least not radically) rather that when you die you don't have to restart the whole level again.

Sprock26

So ramping up the difficulty of something like Dante's Inferno would make it a good game? If that was the case every game would be stellar if only you played it on the higher difficulty.

In my opinion the combat, atmosphere and level design made DS a good game, and I think they would all be just as good if you could pause the bloody game!

I didn't finish DS because it got too frustrated with it, I wish I could have though. I would love to see the game patched to allow for a more forgiving difficulty level. Keep in mind that anyone who wants to play in the present difficulty still can (and those who have already finished it aren't even affected).

Michael622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Michael622
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts
No, we don't want another Oblivion... Just need to look at enemies and they died that game was terrible for it's stupidly easy gameplay... I like Demon's Souls as it gave you something to think about without just rushing in and killing whatever is around the corner.JohnF111
Have you played Oblivion on the highest difficulty? The enemies had a stupid amound of health/defence.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

the difficulty is what made that game what it is, with out it, itwould be just a another lame rpg

iamshivy
exactly
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#27 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Without the difficulty the game would suck. It's one of its defining qualities.
Jachael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jachael
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

Demons Souls is perfect the way it is. It is the first game since PS1 days where I didn't feel like it got mindless once you learned the combat mechanics. It is a furiously frustrating game for anyone that just tries to plow through it. But if you develop patience or know what you are getting yourself into it is the best game made in the last 3 to 5 years.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i think its fine the way it is. i never felt cheated when i was killed all those countless times in the game. ticked off -yes, cheated - not really

that being said, some of the levels have halfway doors that allow you to skip a large portion of the first half of the level.

cptpaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cptpaper
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

Hrm, I don't find the difficulty during NG that hard...NG+ is where it gets really difficult, but I usually have a friend playing with me and its not that bad. The game would be rather boring if it was too easy...

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 biswajit90210
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

ya lets release it again!!lets lower the difficulty level add check points maybe throw in a couple of love stories in it and call it PANZY'S SOULS!!!!its one of the best games ever made..changing anything will only destroy the whole experience.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

ExoticAnimal

This. The difficulty of Demon's Souls is extremely overblown. Demon's Souls is best described as "tough but fair". You just have to be patient - learn enemies locations and attacking patterns, and use spells/miracles to complement your melee (or melee to complement magic/miracles). In any case, the game even did have checkpoints of sorts in the shortcuts you could unlock... Boletaria (1-1) is a good example of this. The difficulty was what made Demon's Souls so great - it wasn't your average "run of the mill" hack-n-slash. It was refreshing to play a game where I wasn't just spamming the attack button to kill enemies. Demon's Souls actually makes the player think during combat, and that's a good thing.

I'm extremely happy Dark Souls is going to be as difficult, if not more so, than Demon's Souls. Again, Demon's Souls rarely, if ever, felt cheap to me. If I died, it was because I made a mistake, whether it be timing an attack wrong, equipping the wrong equipment, rushing in without blocking, etc. The game forces you to play better, and that's why I love it.

Edit: Lol, winning post right below.

ya lets release it again!!lets lower the difficulty level add check points maybe throw in a couple of love stories in it and call it PANZY'S SOULS!!!!its one of the best games ever made..changing anything will only destroy the whole experience.

biswajit90210

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Yeah, make it harder and change the locations of some of the monsters to throw people off.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
The game wasn't that hard if you took the time to learn from your mistakes. Trial and error does not equal difficulty. DMC3 was different since that game was legitimately hard.
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I thought the difficulty was perfect in respect to the rest of the game, and I'm sure its something the devs tested extensively before releasing it so it would be just right.

Honestly I wish there were a lot more games like Demon's Souls. Sure, it was frustrating at times, but who wants to waltz through a game with no challenge?

Personally, I'm pretty sick of all the hand-holding dev's put into games nowadays. From Software got it just right.

zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Please, Demon's Souls difficulty is what gave the game its score . So to answer your question, NO , NO, NO, NO !

Sprock26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sprock26
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

[QUOTE="Sprock26"]

Michael622

As someone wrote futher down,lets throw in check-points, pausing, saving, lower difficulty andlets overpower the player to just button wack away. You dont call that a radical change to agame? I do, andi know DS is unforgiving andofcourse there were times when i was this close to givingup and throwing my controller into the wall - but i thought no way this game is going to beat me, and i learned from my mistakes. Learn the location of the enemies and their fighting abilities/rotationand you can overcome themost enemies in the game. Especially the bosses (example 1-1 and 5-1bossesis a walk in the park)

Sprock26

So ramping up the difficulty of something like Dante's Inferno would make it a good game? If that was the case every game would be stellar if only you played it on the higher difficulty.

No iam not saying that if you changed the difficulty of every game, they would be great games. Because they wouldnt.But the difficulty in DS made you think and/or learn, if not -you died!

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

No because that would ruin the whole point of the game. It's very existence is based around harsh punishment to make it all the more satisfying when you do beat it. It doesn't rely heavily on storyline like other RPGs. This game wouldn't be much if it was catered to casuals.

Not all games have to be craptasticly easy.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts
checkpoints no but i wouldn't mind having the option of choosing which difficulty u want to play the game with ( i'll choose the hardest )
zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

I'd say no to lowering the difficulty / learning curve. I'd also say no to checkpoints. The thing I don't get is that most of the stages aren't that long, and provide some sort of a checkpoint for you. Maybe it's the opening of a door or the lowering of a bridge. Once it's completed then you're able to take advantage of it to make your level progress quicker. Also, I hardly ever found myself dieing repeatedly in any level. Once, maybe twice, but by then you should understand what you're doing wrong, and how you can fix it. The game is fine how it is, and I believe many people gave up on it in the first hour or so of play. Yes, at first it's a little difficult, but you quickly learn from your mistakes. For those who didn't give this game a try because of hearing about it's difficulty level should really re-think that, and give this game a try. I believe I've seen Best Buy selling this game for $20 over the holidays...so it's a steal imo.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

This is why I'm hesitant to buy the game. I love a good challenge but my friend told me it was so hard he simply stopped playing and traded it in at Gamestop.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

I think Demon Souls should be revised, etc like you suggested.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Hard games are more fun.