Serious "freezing problem... Help please.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hughker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hughker1
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hey ya'll. So I've had my PS3 for a few years now as well--in fact, prolly a few months after its release I purchased it. Its worked flawlessly for the past few years until just 3 weeks ago. It is constantly freezing on me and I see "speckles" (best word I can use to describe the dots all over the picture) all over the the screen. I have done a "Quick Format" and a "Full Format" twice now. However, the machine freezes before I am able to see the progress bar reach 100%. I even swapped in a new Hard Drive thinking the issue was a dead Hard Drive. No luck. The system recognized the new Hard Drive... Formatted it... Then booted up--but shortly after boot-up, it froze again. I cleaned out all the dust and it has always been in a clear and open location with open air around it (never in a closed cabinet). Since day one it has also always been Horizontal. I am lost at what to do next. Has anyone run into the same issues as me? Literally, within 1 minute of turning the PS3 on: The picture freezes and I have to reset it. Seeing as how the warranty has lapsed... I have no problem whatsoever taking it apart and doing anything needed to fix it. Thank you in advance for your help.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

Go, call sony, pull out $150, wait a week. Thats the best way to fix your problem. Sorry. When I sent my system in, it actually took sony longer to ship the box to me than it did to ship me a new unit. About five days total wait time. Sound like you may have an overheat issue. This is what happend to mine I'm pretty sure. Even though I had it well ventalated, I think some of the components on the mother board may have had material defects and gave out.

FYI, once you remove your HDD, you cannot restore the data on it without some tech wizzardry. So for future reference, backup your HDD before removing it.

hughker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hughker1
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Wow... Thanks for getting back to me so quick. In my fit-of-anger, I actually took the PS3 apart and blew it out with an air-compressor. I figured that it was past its One Year Factory Warranty and that there was nothing Sony could do for me. I wish I would've waited and read your post regarding paying 150$ to get it fixed. I broke the "Warranty Seal Sticker" thingy so I can't call them and ask them to fix it. I just assumed that after the One Year Factory Warranty that nothing could be done--wrong assumption. Thank you again for your help.
PvtGump8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 PvtGump8
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts
They will still fix it with the warranty seal broke.
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

i had the same problem as you back on april 1st, my 60 gb just got fixed and it's on its way back, the people that fixed it can be found at psr1.com if you don't go through sony good luck

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

its the ps3 blue ray drive...just give sony a call