This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trizmatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trizmatiq
Member since 2016 • 11 Posts

My PS3 finally died, after 9 years. YLOD took its life this morning.

RIP Sweet Prince. 2007-2016

This happened to my 360 with the RROD but in 9 months...

I wish Chad Warden the god could save this good soul.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

My condolences

Trizmatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Trizmatiq

@joe_b1_kenobi: I will bury it in my back yard, and make a grave 4 it.

not that extreme, but I will miss it. I had a 750 GB HDD in it..

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Goodnight, sweet prince.

But if you still want a PS3 around you could probably buy one by itself for less than $100 and pop that 750GB HDD in it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

that's a good long life for an old Phat model. I was sad when mine died a couple of years back

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

chad warden lol. well, your ps3 had a good run

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Hopefully you could find a replacement for cheap and somehow migrate all your games and saves and purchases smoothly. Wish the PS4 had free BC so you could play PS3 games on newer more reliable consoles if you wanted.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#8 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@xantufrog said:

that's a good long life for an old Phat model. I was sad when mine died a couple of years back

You say that as if they're expected to die within a certain amount of time =/ I know some of the earlier models weren't as reliable, but I don't think consoles are meant to just die like that, even after 10 years of use. Every console I've owned still works, but maybe failure rates aren't what they used to be.

nomansohail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nomansohail
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

Its good that it lasted that long mine died in half of that time and the second one too :/ Maybe i am just unlucky

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SoNin360 said:
@xantufrog said:

You say that as if they're expected to die within a certain amount of time =/ I know some of the earlier models weren't as reliable, but I don't think consoles are meant to just die like that, even after 10 years of use. Every console I've owned still works, but maybe failure rates aren't what they used to be.

Oh I didn't say that as a justification of its demise - my older consoles still work, as you note. I was referencing the fact that the launch systems had a flaw in the hardware design that resulted in the solder in the PCB separating (typically on the gpu) and ultimately a YLOD. Many many of the units have died this way, including my own. They are ticking time-bombs. So I was just remarking that I'm surprised it lasted that long and that - given this pre-existing flaw - it had a relatively long life.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#11 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I will eat a cookie in it's honour.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

You could've opened it, cleaned it and changed the thermal paste. Avoiding all the grief.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#13 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

You could've opened it, cleaned it and changed the thermal paste. Avoiding all the grief.

Oh, you can see into his machine and know what the problem is. Impressive.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@d_parker: it's a common issue with the system, they did a crappy job with the thermal paste and the system gets so much dust throughout the years.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

My first PS3 was a 60 GB model and it died about 2 years after launch (YLOD). I got a PS3 Slim when I was in the Marines, but when the PS3 Super Slims came out I got one because they finally came in white ( in Japan you can usually get a PS3 in white, but it was the first time they launched it in the US).

I now have had a White Super Slim since 2013, and my white PS4 since 2014.

Sorry to hear that yours died, there are companies that fix PS3s, but I would just get the slim or super slim since those rarely overheat.

Winston93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Winston93
Member since 2016 • 49 Posts

My first ps3 lasted for 4 years and the current one has just crossed 2 years. I really hope it lasts as long as yours.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Sad to hear it bud, my 60GB model still runs but that's only because I use it for blu-ray and streaming movies in our living room. I did notice it gets pretty hot if I leave it ON for long period of time. I'm still surprised its lasting as long.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

It is always a tough time, when an epic PlayStation 3 60giger phat console dies. But sounds like you got a good lifespan out of your Phat PS3. 2007-2016 is not bad. So sorry to hear about your loss.

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

i got mine in (2010) and though it no longer plays burnt dvd's for some reason. i can't remember if it even plays movies anymore. it still plays the games and my model isn't the original but the 2nd edition. in fact i was just playing it Monday or Tuesday Nite i forget which. sorry to hear your's died though. hell my Game boy i got for x-mas in (1991) still works! that's my oldest system by the way.

Trizmatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Trizmatiq

Thanks for the condolences. Also, I dont think PS4 will ever have backwards compatibility with PS3 since the PS3s Cell processor. I already have a PS4.

I'm honestly surprised it lasted so long.

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

Im in shock . My PSthree is working despite the fact that its extremely large for a video game system . Youd think the larger it is the faster it would cease to be . But I guess not . I guess electricity just provides more power to the system until it shorts out .

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wildhoney66

I dunno why anyone would be surprised a system they got within the last few years would work. My game boy from (1991) and. My used SNES from i think the same year still work fine for me.

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

My PS3's still alive and kicking (late 2007). Strangely enough, so is my Gameboy Advance (SP), DSi, and PSP.

I guess some systems don't die. RIP though. I bet those were wonderful 9 years full of joy and games. Heart breaking to see the old timer cough up.

By burying it instead of tossing it away, you honored that console well. I'm sure it took an emotional toll on you, but you did the right thing.

My condolences.

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wildhoney66

some consoles are made pretty damn well and can last forever that's when you know damn well it's a good one. if you ever watch the AVGN James Rolfe has played his 2600 and his 5200 and hell even systems older than that and most of them work just fine and others don't. and some of those go back to the 70's! all of my systems still work and the 2 i mentioned are my oldest. my NES though the original one bit the dust about a decade ago but it lasted many many years i had it for like nearly 20 years i think before it bit the dust and that's a pretty damn good run. thankfully i still have the upper deck of the NES and last time i played it it still worked fine.

some of the older consoles like the atari ones i think James Rolfe said you need an older tv to play those systems cause they don't play on the newer ones and while that sucks it does make sense. what i don't get and i never will i guess is when i hear people say oh i went through 3 or 4 PS3's or 5 or 6's 360's but with that one i do kind of get it since that one had the ring of death. my PS3 does't play movie's anymore but that's okay at least it still plays the games and that's all i care about anyways.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@trizmatiq said:

Thanks for the condolences. Also, I dont think PS4 will ever have backwards compatibility with PS3 since the PS3s Cell processor. I already have a PS4.

I'm honestly surprised it lasted so long.

But you can send the PS3 to SONY to fix it. You know that....don't you...??

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#27 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3664 Posts

Had my 40GB that I got in 2007 die in 2013 from the red light of death.

Trizmatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Trizmatiq

@AtariKidX: I'm pretty sure it is out of warranty since I got it early 2007

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

Ill order another PsThree . I mean, I would do that if I were you . No fooling .

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@trizmatiq said:

@AtariKidX: I'm pretty sure it is out of warranty since I got it early 2007

I doesn't matter...........send the console to SONY and they will fix the PS3 but you will pay for the fix.But you will have again the PS3.

Trizmatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Trizmatiq

@AtariKidX: Oh, I don't really care since I'm going away tomorrow to the other side of the world so I don't have time to send it until September