Reviews are biased ( Batman vs. Assassin's Creed )

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FenderTrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 FenderTrio
Member since 2009 • 193 Posts

Uncomplicated combat is fast-paced and looks fantastic

Really? That is a POSITIVE for Batman and a NEGATIVE for Assassin's creed ... and it's pretty much repetitive ... the only difference is Batman has a few more upgrades to use in battle ...

Don't get me wrong - Batman is50 Times better than Assassin's Creed - but if you're going to review something - Be more specific

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Really? That is a POSITIVE for Batman and a NEGATIVE for Assassin's creed ... and it's pretty much repetitive ... the only difference is Batman has a few more upgrades to use in battle ...

Don't get me wrong - Batman is50 Times better than Assassin's Creed - but if you're going to review something - Be more specific

FenderTrio

Having played both, the combat systems are totally different and far more superior/fun in Batman. ANd if you've played both, you would know how and why both systems work.

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
Blog it.
thexphact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thexphact0r
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts

Agreed- having played both I can say with confidence that the fun factor is way up there for Arkham Asylum.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I can only judge Batman from the demo, but in Assassin's Creed I would just stand there and wait for an enemy to attack in order to counter (because they'd block almost every move) whereas combat in AA is still a lot more active. There's also more incentive to do well with the multiplier and experience whereas especially the ending in Assassin's Creed got so ridiculously boring with wave after wave of unnecessary grunt enemies.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Do people read anymore? TC's complaint is that reviews described combat system for both game identically, but one was considered positive and the other is negative.

He is saying reviews should be more detailed showing the difference between the two games. He is not saying both games have equal level of combat system.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

well batman's combat is more offensive (striking a lot with an occasional counter), while assasin's creed's is a lot more defensive (basically waiting around for a chance to counter, and not attacking very often due to the risk of leaving yourself open)

so assasins creed's combat gets really annoying and repetitive, while batmans doesnt. that's probably why batmans was in the good section and assasins creeds was in the bad

kate_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kate_jones
Member since 2007 • 3221 Posts

I enjoyed Assassins creed combat, but yes the reviewers do seem to have a double standard about this. Though I think reviewers i general were way to hard on AC, maybe they have finally come to there senses

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

Do people read anymore? TC's complaint is that reviews described combat system for both game identically, but one was considered positive and the other is negative.

He is saying reviews should be more detailed showing the difference between the two games. He is not saying both games have equal level of combat system.

TriangleHard
It's not true though, the combat is slower in AC because you can block. Batman doesn't need to block, speeding up the gameplay.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

There are such things as different reviewers TC, this site doesn't have just one.

blank33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 blank33
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts

Gaming websites would not be complete without double standards and contradictions.

One person does not review every game...

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

TriangleHard
Well, Gamespot's review for Assassin's Creed says nothing of that sort about the combat in a negative way. TC also ignorantly rips out a single point meant only as a short overview from a several paragraph long review that tells in more details why the combat in Arkham Asylum is rewarding. Reviews ARE more detailed, if people don't read them, who are they to complain?
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

FenderTrio

When you come to accept that different reviews are written by different reviewers with different opinions, it's easily understandable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

TriangleHard

His comments are taken out of context. I'm sure in the complete review, more detail is given on the fighting mechanics and why they are positive and negative.

Granted, i could be wrong and maybe both reviews sum up the fighting using the exact same phrase and then say absolutely nothing more. I doubt it...but I guess it's possible. I don't care enough to go back and read BOTH reviews to point out the flaws in his comment.

ace070590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 ace070590
Member since 2007 • 439 Posts

Batman's combat did feel more "free flow," whereas, although a fun game, Assasin's Creed was over and over again the same thing. Batman just felt more precise and exciting, while Assasin's Creed was like well I have seen this before.

MrGanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGanny
Member since 2009 • 2911 Posts

Blog it.email2003

This.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#17 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
you mean dont use double standards. the only i can say is sometimes it may apply differently depending on the game. AC and batman are 2 different ways to play a a game and AC got repetitive but didn't bother me none.
banderxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 banderxz
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

besides all of that batman was my favorite superhero when i was a kid (and he still is!!!):D

ultralesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 ultralesus
Member since 2007 • 917 Posts
Maybe it had some to do with the fact AC had so much hype and the combat was over simple... while AA was dismissed for being a liecenced game and turned out very good more than reviewers having double standards.
bijankarim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bijankarim
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
BenderUnit22 CGI on your avatar look great... wait never mind
CraigyM83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CraigyM83
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts
Reviews can be as biased as you want with a nudge and a roll of cash.
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Assassins Creed plays like a quick time event. Batman plays like a beat em up but looks very cool.
haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
Well... the simple combat in Batman IS a WHOLE lot better than the simple combat in AC. Also, Batman has a whole lot more variety to the environment and feel of the game if you've played the game for more than just a few hours. AC, while fun, does pretty much feel like the same game from beginning to end.