Resident Evil 5 disapointment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ENDOT12123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ENDOT12123
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts

now dont get me wrong the game is real good i like it alot, BUT...............

its just not scary or creepy like the old games (not resi 4, that wasnt scary either) i wish they would bring back the old type RE games like the remake of RE1 on gamecube, that was probly the best RE game ever IMO i loved how it was acctually pretty scary.

Oh and the CO-OP its jus annoying a times and makes the game even less scary/"survival horror" takes away the elemnt of survival or horror when you got a partner helping you out, i think the co-op would have been better as a multiplayer only experience and not a com controlled character, (she can be dumb as. she tries shooting an enemy just to find out she stands right behind me shooting me and dosnt even effect the enemy)

all in all i do like the game, i just wish ther was certain aspects of the game that was difrent or more Resident evil/survival horror

Anybody agree/disagree?

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

Having a partner actually makes the game more tense in some ways. You're not just watching you're own back anymore, you've got someone else to worry about too. They've swapped out fear for pure edge of your seat intensity. It won't make you afraid but it's hard not to panic when you've been backed into a corner by the approaching hordes with low health and ammo. I actually prefer this tactic to the originals. It's a wild ride. You're just thrown from one thrilling set-piece to the next so fast that you barely have time to breath.

Benjiman_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Benjiman_Guile
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
Some of the puzzles and obstacles in the game revolve around simultaneous player actions. I definitely agree that it could be better as a single player.
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

the game isnt that great at all...

beekayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 beekayjay
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts
The series died when they came out with 4. Its a regular action game now...the problem is that its not even that good of one, its half-assed. Its hanging on to dated control concepts, without the atmosphere or puzzle elements to compensate, so we're left with something that tries to compete squarely with Gears and MGS. I'm not getting this game.
ENDOT12123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ENDOT12123
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts

The series died when they came out with 4. Its a regular action game now...the problem is that its not even that good of one, its half-assed. Its hanging on to dated control concepts, without the atmosphere or puzzle elements to compensate, so we're left with something that tries to compete squarely with Gears and MGS. I'm not getting this game.beekayjay
yep i agree, resi 4 kinda killed it for me 2, i loved how it used to be, well at least i got them on my dreamcast just be nice to play some real resident evil (next gen)

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Silent-Hal
Yep, the series sure 'died' with the release of one of the best games of all time. The old school fans are just bitter that the series has actually moved on from antiquated design features like static camera angles, tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds, convoluted puzzles, limited saves ect. IMO it's better for it. RE5 is one of the most intense games I've played in years.
beekayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 beekayjay
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts
The game isn't scary....if i want intense I'll play Killzone2 on elite. Or the 20 other action games done ten times better.
baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

I love RE4... and I love RE5...

I can see where people say it lost its since of scariness, but to tell the truth the only reason it was scary back in the day was because there was limited controls...

Now that we can move so fluid its hard for it to be too scary... But to me this is by far the best Coop game I have played...BY FAR

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Silent-Hal
I didn't say it was scary. Neither are any of the other Resident Evil games for that matter. They were pure B-movie schlock of the highest order. RE5 gives off a sort of intensity that no other game can manage. It makes you feel panicked and constantly on edge. You're always being jolted from one tense encounter to another so fast that it's just a rush to play. Not that'd you'd know that, since you haven't actually played it. When it comes to pure, visceral thrills, nothing even comes close.
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts
I hate the bright environment of RE5, I wish it was dark and gloomy, like previous RE games
Avatar image for _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

I didn't say it was scary. Neither are any of the other Resident Evil games for that matter. They were pure B-movie schlock of the highest order. RE5 gives off a sort of intensity that no other game can manage. It makes you feel panicked and constantly on edge. You're always being jolted from one tense encounter to another so fast that it's just a rush to play. Not that'd you'd know that, since you haven't actually played it. When it comes to pure, visceral thrills, nothing even comes close. Silent-Hal

killzone 2 is far, far more intense than RE5. the only reason resident evil 5 is intense is becauseyou're constantly fighting the bad controlsas well as the enemy.

elmi3ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 elmi3ster
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Ive been playing RE5 for three days now... and it is a GREAT game however i understand where you are coming from. Ive played through the series since the first one way back PS and I agree this is just a game trying to compete with todays eye candy action titles. I wish it went back to the basic thematically(creepiness, puzzles etc) also the story is too much sci fi now.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Yeah Umbrella tried to design their world to be Leon proof, since he travels alone most of the time they made it so that you need two people. Bad luck on their part that instead they got Chris Redfield who never goes it alone. But I never found RE scary, even the original ones when I was a kid. Zombies aren't scary, they are slow, stupid and a non threat unless they are in Dead Rising numbers. I think RE4 had the perfect balance, you were tense because you were alone and surrounded by an enemy you never seen before. In RE5 you seen this type of enemy before and you have a partner so its only tense when Sheeva burns through your ammo or the enemies that are too fast for the tank controls get an unfair jump on you,and I would actually say its more intense than tense. But I will agree with the TC that Sheeva is a moron with that shooting you in the back thing.
DManSteelerFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 DManSteelerFan
Member since 2009 • 1097 Posts
@soul2squeeze. Fighting bad controls!!! I rented both KZ2 and RE5. Tried KZ2 first, CONTROLS STINK! Put in RE5 and haven't played KZ2 since. To the rest. I completely understand ppl saying that RE5 isn't scary like the others, and agree that it's considered a pure action game now and agree that the bright environments are a different path for the series. Despite all of that, this game freaking ROCKS! I love it. I'm really close to the end and can't wait to go through it again. How the action just keeps going is insane! Going from creature to creature is awesome! I love the ones in the swamp....hehe. This game makes your heart pound, adrenaline skyrocket and keeps you on edge. RE4 holds something special to me, but I love this game too. I wished you could aim and move simultaneously though. The partner thing really doesn't bother me, it's different. There's a part near the end where Sheva needs to be moving around more instead of standing, that ticked me off. Some of you are hating on this game big time. It's simply evolving, it's like your saying you don't want the game to change, that change is bad. Yeah this game is competing with Gears and Resistence, etc. if I'm not mistaken those are the candidates for game of the year and such, seems to me like that would be a good thing. I'm not done with the game so I'll be back with my final thoughts.
Garudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Garudo
Member since 2004 • 436 Posts
the game is great..but i can see capcom is being so lazy...they shud've adjust the control when they know tht's the biggest prob
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#17 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

When I first heard of Resident Evil 5, It thought it was going to be scary just like the good old days but nope the game had no horrror mostly action. And most parts of the game were too easy.

lazzy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 lazzy102
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts

Ok IMO RES4 was a great change..the series needed a change and RES4 was an awesome game..(I ALSO LOVE ALL THE OTHER GAMES IN THE SERIES), but RES5 IMO isn't that great it just does everything RES4 though its less scary and you have a dumb partner....bah IMO its not as good as RES4 not by a long shot,...its a nice game but not a must buy for me..

Afylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Afylan
Member since 2009 • 202 Posts

Given the storyline, it can't 'really' have all those previous elements we miss so much, the night setting, slow zombies, unexpected scares. Although, I find it alittle unusual that throughout the game, it's almost all daylight. There's practically no night battles.

They could have reimplemented alot of elements that users really want but they took them out which I not know why, perhaps he wanted a new approach.

bobbycuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobbycuckoo
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts
I have to admit i miss the abandoned buildings with zombies, for me 1(especialy the gamecube remake) and 2 are the best resi games. 2 was the reason i bought a PS1 and relit interest in gaming.Probably another reason i crashed a uni (well that and the alcohol and women). Anyhoo The problem was, even tho 3 was ok, veronica was a huge dissapointment, The formula was becoming a bit stale. Capcom must have listened to the critisism and redirected the seris. Lets face it 4 was seminal and by all accounts 5 is pretty good too. (controls still a bit hmmm.. but hey it is resi.) All in all tho the first 2 just had more atmos and more memorable moments. But the old style may not stand up today, I just miss those zombies.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I like the game a lot. Its absurd to expect it to be as scary as some of the early games. Its still intense and fun. People expect too much. I dont know...people just cant be satisfied with anything anymore.

masta21figz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 masta21figz
Member since 2009 • 148 Posts

The game isn't scary....if i want intense I'll play Killzone2 on elite. Or the 20 other action games done ten times better. beekayjay

HAHAHA. Killzone 2 is the least intense game I've ever played. Not to say it's not amazing, but the LEAST intense game ever. If you know what to do you elite won't be hard at all. Now toss me in Helghast with a pistol with 50 bullets while my spaceship is being attacked then you can have intense. RE5 throws you into a live or die situation and kicks your ass. Oh did I mention, 2 hits to die on professional. That's pretty damn intense.

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

One thing that really broke the atmosohere for me was Capcoms use of the Devil May Cry system, where after your done part of a chapter you go to a Organize/Buy type screen. The game itself is great but couldve used a few more tweaks.

bobbycuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bobbycuckoo
mabey there is room for both types, id like to see a HD version of the old style, even if they still use the tank controls, shirley there they can fit some extra collision detection animations to avoid the moon walk along the wall shinanigans. It just felt more cinematic in the early days (B movie stylings notwithstanding). Also mates were happy just watching it play out. 4 and 5 are good but .......i dont know ........its just.........I WANT THE ZOMBIES BACK, and the creepy (B movie) settings.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

RE5 gave me the exact same thrills and chills as the other games.
The main difference is that the game in not in perpetual night. I applaud Capcom for showing us that it dosen't have to be dark outside for a game to be scary. It ditches the stereotypical ideas of survival horror and brings it to a whole new light (pun intended).

I personally don't see why people are saying this game isn't scary. This is RE4 on steroids with the lights turned on most of the time.
I love it and think it's the best game this gen for any system.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

It's too much out in the wide open daylight and the zombies and monsters dont' surprise you and they're not scary. I blame bringing it to the 360 for the reasons for the change.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Silent-Hal
RE5 gave me the exact same thrills and chills as the other games. The main difference is that the game in not in perpetual night. I applaud Capcom for showing us that it dosen't have to be dark outside for a game to be scary. It ditches the stereotypical ideas of survival horror and brings it to a whole new light (pun intended).I personally don't see why people are saying this game isn't scary. This is RE4 on steroids with the lights turned on most of the time.Conjuration
I wholeheartedly agree. This game just grabs you by the balls and doesn't let go for a second. It gives a feeling of panic and helplessness that I never got from the other Resident Evil games, even with their low ammo supplies and archaic handling.
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts
I'm loving RE5, I never played any of the other ones prior to RE4, so you can see why I I don't mind the controls.

It's too much out in the wide open daylight and the zombies and monsters dont' surprise you and they're not scary. I blame bringing it to the 360 for the reasons for the change.

patriots7672
Talk about being a fanboy:roll:, whats the 360 got to do with RE5 being set at daytime?
bobbycuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bobbycuckoo
I sort of prefare the stereotype horror, thats just me tho. As for the night/day debate, night is just scarier.... it just is. If summat is scary in daylight its gonna be much worse at night. Not that its a deal breaker, im just sayin, thats all.
masta21figz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 masta21figz

I'm loving RE5, I never played any of the other ones prior to RE4, so you can see why I I don't mind the controls.[QUOTE="patriots7672"]

CannedWorms

Talk about being a fanboy:roll:, whats the 360 got to do with RE5 being set at daytime?

What he's saying, I believe, is if it had been just PS3, it would have been more well developed without someone having to worry, oh can the 360 handle this, can it do that. You see the game now, imagine it with Killzone or Metal Gear graphics. There might have been alot more put in to an exclusive title.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Silent-Hal

[QUOTE="CannedWorms"]I'm loving RE5, I never played any of the other ones prior to RE4, so you can see why I I don't mind the controls.[QUOTE="patriots7672"]

masta21figz

What he's saying, I believe, is if it had been just PS3, it would have been more well developed without someone having to worry, oh can the 360 handle this, can it do that. You see the game now, imagine it with Killzone or Metal Gear graphics. There might have been alot more put in to an exclusive title.

Imagining it with MGS4 graphics would be a downgrade. This is already one of the best looking games on either system, I doubt it being exclusive would have changed much.
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#32 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts

[QUOTE="CannedWorms"]I'm loving RE5, I never played any of the other ones prior to RE4, so you can see why I I don't mind the controls.[QUOTE="patriots7672"]

masta21figz

Another fanboy:roll:. I take it you've never saw a 360 being played in motion, Gears of War 2 is one of the best looking games this gen and on what system? Oh yeah, 360!
sykojason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sykojason
Member since 2003 • 192 Posts

I love the controls in RE5, its the same as its always been and that helps add to the intensity. If the controls were changed to that of a regular shooter then people would be complaining about the lack of a cover system, dumb enemy AI, limited ammo; it just wouldn't work. I love that I have to stop to take pot-shots and then try to get in close and finish em off before they get up or their buddies show up. It keeps you thinking. It makes you think about how much ammo you have, the battles you can afford to fight and when you just have to run like hell. People are so into these brainless shooters nowadays and it makes me sick. The co-op in RE5 is better than any thrown in co-op mode in any shooter out there. If you're having problems playing the game with a dumb AI Sheva then join an online game or play co-op locally, having to watch my little bro's back has only added to tense battles and the run-like-hell moments of the RE series.

Quit Hatin

masta21figz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 masta21figz

[QUOTE="masta21figz"]

[QUOTE="CannedWorms"]Talk about being a fanboy:roll:, whats the 360 got to do with RE5 being set at daytime?CannedWorms

Another fanboy:roll:. I take it you've never saw a 360 being played in motion, Gears of War 2 is one of the best looking games this gen and on what system? Oh yeah, 360!

HA, Fanboy?

If you look back a month or so I was bashing the PS3 in system wars. I hate Gears it's stupid.

liamhamilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 liamhamilton
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

Also the backrounds wasnt creepy looking enough but its still an OK game i guess

bobbycuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bobbycuckoo
Q. Do you prefare the old resident evils or the new style. A. the Xbox 360 is miles better, no the Ps3. hmmmm.....does it always have to turn into a system war.
masta21figz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 masta21figz

I didn't mean to turn it into a system war.

all i was saying was with dedication to one system the game woulda been better.

I did say, XBOX IS BETTER LOOK AT GEARS NAH NAH NAH.

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
I still don't know what the hell is so scary about Resident Evil (any of them). They are mad fun, but I think the Silent Hill series does the horror stuff much better.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The series died when they came out with 4. Its a regular action game now...the problem is that its not even that good of one, its half-assed. Its hanging on to dated control concepts, without the atmosphere or puzzle elements to compensate, so we're left with something that tries to compete squarely with Gears and MGS. I'm not getting this game.beekayjay
Lol any one else find this ironic? HE is complaining about the controls yet he has stated that the older ones were better, when they were the most unwieldy games known to man.. Seriously that was one of the reasons why it was scary is because your character was apparently so hard to control not to mention to see the enviroment.. YEah such a great design option, only being able to see a quarter of the room, when through yoru characters eyes you should see the whole thing.. And I am sorry puzzles in the older REsident evil games weren't actually difficulty they were just ambigious and covoluted due to the games unwieldy design.. Resident Evil was known for its atmosphere and story, everything else was considered a burden in the game.. These are great games, though I do wish they would make a compensation which I do think they will do sooner or later.. I would love to see a remake with Resident evil 2 with these control mechanics, just make zomibes do extreme damage, severe lack of health and ammo.. And there you go..
bobbycuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bobbycuckoo
Street fighter IV is the scariest game....bare with me. For one that music.........ahhhhhhhhhhhh.............and the final boss has the sub-concious power to make u break controlers............well sort of.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

Having a partner actually makes the game more tense in some ways. You're not just watching you're own back anymore, you've got someone else to worry about too. They've swapped out fear for pure edge of your seat intensity. It won't make you afraid but it's hard not to panic when you've been backed into a corner by the approaching hordes with low health and ammo. I actually prefer this tactic to the originals. It's a wild ride. You're just thrown from one thrilling set-piece to the next so fast that you barely have time to breath.

Silent-Hal
this is basically what i would say.
Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts

I like the game a lot so far but i been saying since i saw the trailers that they set too much of it in the day time. I have yet to beat the game but i think it's far from a disappointment. The only thing i think capcom should do is split this series from the rest of resident evil buy still creating the game the way they used too in addition to the ones they create now. Personally i didn't like the old style and don't know if it could hang with new era of games. But if they did make it the old way they could put those new games on psn instead of addons to their game. I do think having a partner takes something away from the scary atmosphere but it adds a new layer to the game play unlike that from gears of war. For one thing you have the option to injure your partner and in addition it tests your skills more than res 4 by requiring you to look out for your partner as well as yourself. With the evolution of zombies, and gigantos it would be difficult to survive this game solo.

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_

[QUOTE="beekayjay"]The game isn't scary....if i want intense I'll play Killzone2 on elite. Or the 20 other action games done ten times better. masta21figz

HAHAHA. Killzone 2 is the least intense game I've ever played. Not to say it's not amazing, but the LEAST intense game ever. If you know what to do you elite won't be hard at all. Now toss me in Helghast with a pistol with 50 bullets while my spaceship is being attacked then you can have intense. RE5 throws you into a live or die situation and kicks your ass. Oh did I mention, 2 hits to die on professional. That's pretty damn intense.

HAHAHA, thats the funniest thing i've read in a while. seriously, have u even played killzone? some people might not like the game, but to say its not intense, let alone "the least intense game" is just stupid. i know people have different opinions, but c'mon...

masta21figz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 masta21figz

[QUOTE="masta21figz"]

[QUOTE="beekayjay"]The game isn't scary....if i want intense I'll play Killzone2 on elite. Or the 20 other action games done ten times better. _SOULtoSQUEEZE_

HAHAHA, thats the funniest thing i've read in a while. seriously, have u even played killzone? some people might not like the game, but to say its not intense, let alone "the least intense game" is just stupid. i know people have different opinions, but c'mon...

yup I own Killzone, it's not hard at all. All you need to do is pop and shoot and toss around a grenade. It's not intense. Atleast not in the way Resident Evil is

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_

[QUOTE="_SOULtoSQUEEZE_"]

[QUOTE="masta21figz"].

masta21figz

yup I own Killzone, it's not hard at all. All you need to do is pop and shoot and toss around a grenade. It's not intense. Atleast not in the way Resident Evil is

hmmm, im starting to wonder if you really do own it, because that is definitely NOT all you need to do to get through levels. The AI in Killzone 2 is way too good for you to just sit in one spot and poke your head out to take enemies out one by one. You constantly have to be on the move, because you will get flanked. so, unless you're just a videogame god(which i doubt you are), its not easy, not on the higher difficulties atleast. from what ive played of RE5, the enemy AI isnt anything special.

masta21figz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 masta21figz

lolwut

feer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 feer12
Member since 2005 • 101 Posts
Yep, the series sure 'died' with the release of one of the best games of all time. The old school fans are just bitter that the series has actually moved on from antiquated design features like static camera angles, tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds, convoluted puzzles, limited saves ect. IMO it's better for it. RE5 is one of the most intense games I've played in years. Silent-Hal
Agreed
masta21figz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 masta21figz

[QUOTE="masta21figz"]

[QUOTE="_SOULtoSQUEEZE_"]

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

hmmm, im starting to wonder if you really do own it, because that is definitely NOT all you need to do to get through levels. The AI in Killzone 2 is way too good for you to just sit in one spot and poke your head out to take enemies out one by one. You constantly have to be on the move, because you will get flanked. so, unless you're just a videogame god(which i doubt you are), its not easy, not on the higher difficulties atleast. from what ive played of RE5, the enemy AI isnt anything special.

haha. I'm about a level 4 or 5 or something, i just unlocked medic. and i must be a video game god because the game is quite easy.