This topic is locked from further discussion.

getboth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 getboth
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

are the refurbished ps3's from sony better than a new ps3 from a store?

reason im asking, my ps3 died and sony offered to rplace it with a refurbished one, or i can take it back to the store and get a new one.

thanks

mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mdl207
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts

Yes.

:roll: 

Robotron92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Robotron92
Member since 2007 • 520 Posts

Yes.

:roll:

mdl207

how? what does refurbished mean
getboth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 getboth

:evil:  why are you rolling eyes at me, its a serious question, i thought maybe refurbished ones from sony will have less bugs in them then the ones from the store.  so i guess your answer is yes.

care to explain?

lajkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lajkes
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

hell no if you get from the store you have 12 month warranty if you take refurbished you have 90 days

getboth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 getboth
refurbished means its basically a used ps3 that was returned to them and they fix it with new parts and send to people like me that need a replacement.
getboth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 getboth
refurbished means its basically a used ps3 that was returned to them and they fix it with new parts and send to people like me that need a replacement.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts
I would get a replacement from the store... With Sony, it might take long.
getboth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 getboth
sorry for the double post, sonytold me it will come with a new 12 month warranty.
getboth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 getboth
i forgot to mention, my game is stuck in there, if i return it to best buy will i get my game back?
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

i forgot to mention, my game is stuck in there, if i return it to best buy will i get my game back?getboth

I think they will give you a new copy if they can't take the game out.

Edit: If you got the game from them though.

mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mdl207

:evil: why are you rolling eyes at me, its a serious question, i thought maybe refurbished ones from sony will have less bugs in them then the ones from the store. so i guess your answer is yes.

care to explain?

getboth

Do you know why they are refurbished? They are refurbished because people like you sent in a defective system. Sony takes a look at it, fixes it, and then offers them back out to other customers with disabled systems.

How would a used, formerly defective system EVER be better than a brand new one?

That's why I gave you a sarcastic answer and an eye-roll. 

FlakoSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FlakoSS
Member since 2007 • 201 Posts
lol mdl get ur thong out of a twist he asked a simple question all u had to do was say yes or no instead of being a smart ass
mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mdl207

lol mdl get ur thong out of a twist he asked a simple question all u had to do was say yes or no instead of being a smart assFlakoSS

I'm of the belief that stupid questions deserve stupid answers. :) 

getboth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 getboth

[QUOTE="FlakoSS"]lol mdl get ur thong out of a twist he asked a simple question all u had to do was say yes or no instead of being a smart assmdl207

I'm of the belief that stupid questions deserve stupid answers. :) 

whatever mrs. know it all

negtegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 negtegra
Member since 2006 • 695 Posts
Refurbished means previously broken.  They aren't as good as new ones.
nfglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nfglory
Member since 2004 • 73 Posts
Getboth....The PS3's that Sony exchange with you are not refurbished.  I had to exchange mine too and I asked more than one Sony rep specificly if the PS3 I get back is a refurbished one that another customer has returned and had been fixed and the answer was NO.  The PS3's they exchange with you has never been in another customers hands, they are considered brand new and you wont find any scratches or anything to give evidence that it has been owned by anyone else.  They call it a refurbished console because it is technically a FACTORY refurbished console meaning it is not "out of the store new" but up to Sony standards and from the factory/warehouse.
mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mdl207

Getboth....The PS3's that Sony exchange with you are not refurbished. I had to exchange mine too and I asked more than one Sony rep specificly if the PS3 I get back is a refurbished one that another customer has returned and had been fixed and the answer was NO. The PS3's they exchange with you has never been in another customers hands, they are considered brand new and you wont find any scratches or anything to give evidence that it has been owned by anyone else. They call it a refurbished console because it is technically a FACTORY refurbished console meaning it is not "out of the store new" but up to Sony standards and from the factory/warehouse.nfglory

Umm...that's exactly the opposite of what I heard from two Sony reps. I called earlier on when my PS3 was having BluRay movie playback issues.

I had the choice of getting a brand new one, getting a refurbished unit from Sony, or sticking with my current unit. (I stuck with the last option as I found a fix for the problem)

The refurbished unit is one that has been returned to Sony (most likely for defect) which means it HAS been used. I was assured the refurbished systems have been fixed and extensively tested to ensure that there were no problems.

But the fact remains, why would I want somebody else's used garbage if I can get a brand new one?

ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 ArmoJan
Member since 2005 • 3169 Posts
I used to personally refurbish the PS2 units for sony back in the day (glad I left that rat race).  At one time I was getting so many company discounts that I once had nothing but refurbished sony equipment at home (never had a problem with them).  Not sure how much has changed as of today with the PS3 units.  There is much more involved with quality control in my opinion.
magikmark84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 magikmark84
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts

reason im asking, my ps3 died and sony offered to rplace it with a refurbished one, or i can take it back to the store and get a new one.

thanks

getboth

I wouldnt trust a refurbished PS3, for those of you who dont know what refurbushed means it means that the ps3 was broken and replaced as how it was when it was new. But I wouldnt trust it man because when its refurbished the life span of the ps3 is shortened you never know what can happy, your better off with a fresh PS3 :-) Hope you were intrigued by my opinion.

nfglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nfglory
how is the lifespan shortened when it is fixed and working like new?
mdl207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mdl207

how is the lifespan shortened when it is fixed and working like new?nfglory

It is shortened when you compare it to a brand new unit that has no problems at all.

It's like comparing a car that was damaged in an accident and completely rebuilt to an identical car rolling off the dealer's lot.

You'd have to search long and hard to find someone who would pick the damaged and rebuilt vehicle over the brand new one.

Heck, even if the damaged and rebuilt vehicle was a nicer brand and was worth more, you'd have few people going over to claim someone else's used and deformed goods. 

nfglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nfglory
all i know is the sony rep said that they call it "refurbished" but its not actually a literally refurbished system.
Nos14x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nos14x
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Honestly, get a new one. If you get an refurbished ps3... then theres still a chance that their is still a bug in it. Also you should wonder what the reason for why it was returned. Maybe it burned some guys house down... youll never know. I say stick to the easy way, not the other way that could result in you returning another.
Also im warning you that it can take about 2 weeks to get a new refurbished one. I got a memory card replacement for my psp and it took 2 weeks. So just go into a store and get it that same day... simple.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I'd rather have a new console than a refurbished one... but that's just me. Refurbished consoles shouldn't be any better, but not any worse either.
magikmark84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 magikmark84
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts

how is the lifespan shortened when it is fixed and working like new?nfglory

I wish i could explain that but trust me, once a PS3 is broken it'll never be the samehow it use to be cuz anything can happen, I if it was refurbished & under a 1 year warranty then fine, but 90 days isnt anything, because with refurbished items, if its nto fixed good enough, then sometimes after 90 days abnormal things start to happen, If i was in your shoes though, i would compare the price of the refurbished PS3 to the prices on ebay for a PS3, PS3's on ebay are alot cheaper now than retail.

bryneezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bryneezy
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

thats a stupid analogy and u dont make much sense. youre contradicting urself in every explanation.

bryneezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bryneezy
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
that was for mdl207 btw.
BabeBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BabeBro
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

My PS3 broke and I had it since Launch on Nov 17th. They sent me another one within days of mine breaking and it works fine. To be honest, you run a higher risk of faulty system by buying a new one. Each refurbished system is thoroughly tested before being sent out.

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

thanks

getboth

DUH!!! Sony r the people who made the damn system if anything happened to it they will fix it and make it play brand new. And if they cant fix it they will give u a new system. Sony is the best when it comes to customer service.

luucifer78b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 luucifer78b
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts
get new one. I'm a integrated circuit technician for a cell phone manufacturer and i have the same problem you do. my ps3 broke is the YLOD. the one your getting from Sony is refurbished and has a 60 day warranty. And refurbished electronics have a way higher failure rate than new ones. BTW im not getting a ps3 Sony wants $160 for the refurbished + tax they are nuts.
Avatar image for Mercyful_Access
Mercyful_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mercyful_Access
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
can some1 help me out here http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76641
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#33 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

hell no if you get from the store you have 12 month warranty if you take refurbished you have 90 days

lajkes

Agreed

90xGrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 90xGrad
Member since 2009 • 528 Posts

[QUOTE="lajkes"]

MarcRecon

Agreed

that's incorrect. i bought a refurbished system and since it was "refurbished" by sony it has the one year warranty. then i paid $30 bucks for an extended 2 year warranty. works and looks just like a new one. save some money and get a refurbished one.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#35 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
No just get a new one.