Rebuilding Hard Drive Database???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inFamous_Nik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 inFamous_Nik
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

ok, i got home last night after picking up GTAIV at the midnight release at Gamestop n i excitedly turn on my PS3 n see this message come up. i was really scared n almost lost my mind but i pressed X to start rebuilding the hard drive database...

it finished n i checked out all my saves n all my music n videos to make sure its all there.... n everythang was just fine. so i dont get what exactly happened. has anyone else experienced this???

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Haven't seen it before, but it sounds like a fragmentation issue. Do you save/delete/save/delete stuff more frequently than average? (though I don't really know what average is) It sounds like it was basically doing a defrag.
YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 YourDaddy88
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts
This happened to me last week. Turned on my PS3, nothing on the tv, green light on, no response from controller or on/off button. Switched it off from the back and when I turned it back on it said "rebuilding hard disc database" or something like that. I thought I crapped out the HDD, since I use it way too much (save/delete), but it's been fine since. Only difference I noticed was the names of the movie trailers I downloaded off the PSN went back to their originals (I usually delete the _trailerHD_etc. part off the name). The PS3 itself is fine though, launch model too. I'm sure the HDD will give up one of these days, they don't last forever.
inFamous_Nik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inFamous_Nik

no... no more than everyone else. most of my deletes are few n far between. its usually a massive amount of deleting demos once i see my HDD space is low. nothin other than that.

it really freaked me out tho. i thought the worst. i thought it might just erase my entire HDD n leave me with nothin.

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YourDaddy88
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

no... no more than everyone else. most of my deletes are few n far between. its usually a massive amount of deleting demos once i see my HDD space is low. nothin other than that.

it really freaked me out tho. i thought the worst. i thought it might just erase my entire HDD n leave me with nothin.

inFamous_Nik

I'm feelin a ~200GB upgrade this summer is in order...lol

inFamous_Nik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inFamous_Nik
[QUOTE="inFamous_Nik"]

YourDaddy88

actually i have my eyes set on a 500GB 7200rpm seagate or western digital HDD. i heard rumors of sony eventually implementing a tivo like program. n also i kno they will be soon offering tv n movies for dl on the ps store

inFamous_Nik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 inFamous_Nik
[QUOTE="YourDaddy88"][QUOTE="inFamous_Nik"]

inFamous_Nik

actually i have my eyes set on a 500GB 7200rpm seagate or western digital HDD. i heard rumors of sony eventually implementing a tivo like program. n also i kno they will be soon offering tv n movies for dl on the ps store

FlipJoberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 FlipJoberg
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

Snap - happened to me aswell (60gig UK Launch PS3). I quit GTA IV to go back to the XMB and all i got was the blue default background with no icons. It let me turn the system off via the controller but then 're-built' the hard disc. All is fine, but i can't see my Uncharted save anywhere and all the video downloads are classed as being downloaded yesterday.

Time to back up the old girl.....