Question about the PS3 and cable modems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts

I might be buying a PS3 and of course I'd like to go online but from what I hear the PS3 doesn't support cable modems?

I have a TERAYON TJ715 modem with both a USB and Ethernet ports, it is also dial-up I'm not always connected.

If I buy a PS3 could I simply hook up a cable from the PS3 to the modem and go online, or do I have to get a router?

With the cost of the PS3 and games I'm not looking forward to buying yet another gizmo.

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

I don't know who told you the PS3 doesn't support cable modems but it totally does. I, myself, am using it.

Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts

You can hook it up straight to the modem, that's fine.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

Use a router right after your modem to use multiple devices if you need to and the PS3 supports all high speed internet connections.

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts
So I need a router only if I want to use both my PC for surfing and the PS3 for gaming at the same time? Otherwise it's just plug in and play? Does it come with a cable or do I need to purchase one?
TheAxeMurderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheAxeMurderer
Member since 2007 • 201 Posts
I connect mine to a modem the same as 360, no problem there. Doesn't come with a cable, but I'm sure you already have one (I use the one that came with my 360 myself). Just take the ethernet cable that connects your modem to your PC, take it out of the back of your PC and plug it into your PlayStation. That's all ya need.
Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts

So I need a router only if I want to use both my PC for surfing and the PS3 for gaming at the same time? Otherwise it's just plug in and play? Does it come with a cable or do I need to purchase one? EatShanna
Yup, router is only needed if you want to use your PC and PS3 at the same time. Mine came with an ethernet cable but that was years ago, not sure if they still do. But you can use the same ethernet cable that is connected to your PC. Pretty much plug and play, you may need to reset your modem everytime you switch between the PS3 and PC to assign the new IP.

atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

i have my ps3 directly 2 my cable modem. no router for me since i dont use a pc at home just ps3.