Question About Restore PS3 System ..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 420Token420
Member since 2007 • 5173 Posts

Yes I know I could probably look it up in the instructions, but since I have misplaced them I can't ..

So I've had a 60GB since launch and I've never done a Restore PS3 System, but have heard of a lot of people doing it. Does it help the PS3's performance? What do you lose? Should I actually do this? Or is there really no reason for it?

Any help would be appreciated .. thanks in advance guys .. :)

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
If you restore your PS3 you will lose all of your settings and saved data, why would you want to do that? If you're worried about your PS3s HDD becoming fragmented I guess you could do a backup to an external FAT32 drive, and then use the backups restore option to format your internal drive and restore your data.
420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 420Token420

If you restore your PS3 you will lose all of your settings and saved data, why would you want to do that? If you're worried about your PS3s HDD becoming fragmented I guess you could do a backup to an external FAT32 drive, and then use the backups restore option to format your internal drive and restore your data.CellAnimation

Thanks man, was just wondering if there was any reason to do one, or an advantage. But as I can see there isn't, so I won't. Thanks again man ..

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CellAnimation
The real point of backing up your PS3 is that hard drives are mechanical and can fail at any time without warning.
420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 420Token420

The real point of backing up your PS3 is that hard drives are mechanical and can fail at any time without warning.CellAnimation

Yeah I know .. but I really don't care if I lose everything one day, nothing really important on it ..

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CellAnimation

[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]The real point of backing up your PS3 is that hard drives are mechanical and can fail at any time without warning.420Token420

Yeah I know .. but I really don't care if I lose everything one day, nothing really important on it ..

I felt the same too, until I had completed all guild quests, and the arena in Oblivion only to have my HDD die. ;) I back up all the time now.
Avatar image for 12_inches_short
12_inches_short

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 12_inches_short
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

My ps3 keeps going to this page where it say "your hard disk is corrupt and it needs restoring", but when i do press the PS butten and press the ever so lovly x butten to start the stupid restoring operation, it does nothen (it goes to 100%, resets its self and goes back to the same restoring page). whats the point in restoring it, if it dont work.

plus people have been talking about formating the ps3, thats sounds great, how do you do it?

then people tell me that i need to swap it with a normal laptop hdd, thats cool, what sort, and does it actually work?

now people have alsotold me to turn it off at the back, hold the reset button, then turn it back on (still holding the reset button) until it beeps 3 times, ok what does it do, and what do i do after it beeps, do turn it off again, press the green button, try restoring it on the "restore page" or should i stomp the ground and yell curse words untill the cops come over to see who's died?...

so yea, my ps3 isn't worken the way the television adds say it does. can any one help me?

warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
[QUOTE="420Token420"]

[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]The real point of backing up your PS3 is that hard drives are mechanical and can fail at any time without warning.CellAnimation

I felt the same too, until I had completed all guild quests, and the arena in Oblivion only to have my HDD die. ;) I back up all the time now.

I was 80 hours into Oblivion when my PS3 died like 8 months ago.. Talk about being mad..

toady1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 toady1234
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi to answer your question DO NOT restore your PS3, it will not fix the problem. I advise a full system format, you will loos all your date so copy what you want to keep to an external drive. A full format will tack more time but the PS3 will run just like you got it out the box. Note if you have to attempt to start your PS3 more than twice I advice you to format as you have a hand shaking fault (a is not talking to b, but b is shutting at a to respond). No you can't tack a hard drive from a lap to apart from the software firmware and drivers are all wrong the PS3 hard drive connecters are not the same. Holding the powered button in on the PS3 is the same as holding the button in on a PC, hold the button in for more than 6 sec it shuts the system down with out taking a log of the fault (this will damage a hared over time and can format a FLAT drive E.G. External hard drive or pen drive.)
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts

My ps3 keeps going to this page where it say "your hard disk is corrupt and it needs restoring", but when i do press the PS butten and press the ever so lovly x butten to start the stupid restoring operation, it does nothen (it goes to 100%, resets its self and goes back to the same restoring page). whats the point in restoring it, if it dont work.

plus people have been talking about formating the ps3, thats sounds great, how do you do it?

then people tell me that i need to swap it with a normal laptop hdd, thats cool, what sort, and does it actually work?

now people have alsotold me to turn it off at the back, hold the reset button, then turn it back on (still holding the reset button) until it beeps 3 times, ok what does it do, and what do i do after it beeps, do turn it off again, press the green button, try restoring it on the "restore page" or should i stomp the ground and yell curse words untill the cops come over to see who's died?...

so yea, my ps3 isn't worken the way the television adds say it does. can any one help me?

12_inches_short
watch this video it will anwser your question about the recovery menu and allt he beeping and what not http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLiX4j2M3o&feature=related
THEps3guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 THEps3guy
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hey everyone, I have been having some major problems with my ps3 system. It said my data was corrupted and was restoring the ps3 system. Much of what everyone is having problems with. But, it take a very long time just to open my save data utillity on the ps3. It says i have everything and nothing was deleted, but when i play my games, i have no data? It says nothing got deleted. I would really appericate of someone could tell me what is wrong. Thanks
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="420Token420"]

[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]The real point of backing up your PS3 is that hard drives are mechanical and can fail at any time without warning.CellAnimation

I hear ya on that one. When my original import PS3 fat died on me over a year ago, I felt gutted like hell. The only think I can say I'm grateful I had done a partially recent backup of it (really my coincidence due to fact that I was looking to upgrade the HDD again to a bigger size), a few months before it died. But it still hurt like hell b/c some the games I played weren't backed up. It would've been an even longer and tedious process to get my new system up and running had I not done that.