Puppeteer or Ni No Kuni?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Apologies for starting a new thread but I posted elsewhere and there was no activity whatsoever.

I'm trading a game in this afternoon and can get either Puppeteer or Ni No Kuni for the trade in price (£15). I've read a few reviews and watched some game play of both and both look extremely good so I'm completely stuck as to which to get.

I love a good platform game yet I thought LBP was not great. I'm a big RPG fan but never really played any JRPGs other than Final Fantasy VII and Dragon's Dogma (is that even classed as a JRPG?). Oh and to confuse matters I'm not a fan of Pokemon or turn based fighting.

Oh wise and mighty PlayStation Discussion... Which one should I get?

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@withe1982: I cannot say much about puppeteer because i have only seen and not played it. Ni no kuni's combat is kind of turn based and real time. You have free movement after you and your enemies enter battle. You select the action you want and your character performs them. Things like spells and attacking cause you to pause and select your target after selecting the action themselves. There is a brief recharge time for certain actions. I got all that from a demo. I

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 withe1982

@cooolio: Thanks. Never thought to just try a demo (Doh!) So is it possible to run around and hack 'n' slash a bit during combat? I'm liking the look of Ni No Kuni more every time i see it. The exploration reminds me of FFVII plus the Welsh sidekick guy is hilarious.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

Well, when every you choose the attack command and choose your target, your character will automatically run to the target and attack. I think there is a short time out where you recharge. The game does look cool. I might buy it just to see how things out. The only turn based game i every enjoyed combat wise is dragon quest 8. There were a lot of variety of attacks.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Ni No Kuni has similar elements to Pokemon in that you have to catch and feed monsters and have them fight for you.

Puppeteer is more about presentation and the theater experience than anything else.

Both are great games.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#6  Edited By benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

I would recommend Ni No Kuni if you like RPG games and plus it'll take you at least more then 40 hours to get through the main story

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

I have played both and I'd say that Ni No Kuni is the better choice. While I didn't care much for the battle system personally, the game Is absolutely massive and charming. It's a classic RPG setting rendered in full open world 3D. It should keep you busy for a long time if that's what you want.

Puppeteer, while being pretty and charming is severely lacking in the gameplay and level design aspects. It's a joy to watch but not a joy to play.

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

Definitely don't get Ni No Kuni if you aren't a fan of turn based combat (even though it's not really turn based) or jrpg or rpg grinding. It's a wonderful game, but I don't think it's for everyone. Combat is pretty slow and tedius and repetitive.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Puppeteer is great. but i havn't played Ni No Kuni yet.. i really need to get the game when im finish with all my unplayed games

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Ni No Kuni is amazing, but you have to like a half breed of turn based and real time battle. It actually takes some strategy and skill to battle well in this game.

Never played Puppeteer.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I have played both titles. The games are in completely different genres. Ni No Kuni is a classic JRPG. You might have to grind a little bit every now and then. The sidequests can be a bit repetitive. Not to spoil anything, but having to find someone's lost diary a billion times throughout the game was stupid. Trying to find all the missing pieces to people's hearts was also taxing. For example, someone will want enthusiasm. Right after you give him or her some enthusiasm, he or she will ask for courage. Puppeteer is pretty great from start to finish. The boss battle might drag on just a bit too long, but nothing really to complain about. One could argue that the cinematic scenes take too long, but that is all part of the title's charm. Both games are pretty cheap now, so I would suggest getting both.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts

haven't played ni no kuni, but puppeteer is a lot of fun. you definitely wouldn't go wrong there

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i loved Ni No Kuni, spent over 70 hours on the playthrough. I intend to go back on do some new games+ stuff

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Ni No Kuni is supposed to be fantastic.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@withe1982 said:

@cooolio: Thanks. Never thought to just try a demo (Doh!) So is it possible to run around and hack 'n' slash a bit during combat? I'm liking the look of Ni No Kuni more every time i see it. The exploration reminds me of FFVII plus the Welsh sidekick guy is hilarious.

Yeah there are demo's for both.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

ni no kuni

stoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 stoods
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

@withe1982: Ni no kuni is considerable longer, may not be as innovative and puppeteer, but it is definitely better value for money.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

If you like RPGs at all don't think twice about Ni No Kuni. Get it.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By withe1982

Thanks for the advice guys. I went for Ni No Kuni and boy is it addictive. Put in 12 hours over the weekend and I'm only onto the second city (the desert one).

It is without doubt one of the most visually stunning games I've ever played. I'm loving it so far. The combat is OK and has yet to really get too complicated but I can see it coming around the corner. Despite not liking Pokemon at all I have enjoyed the familiar game play and even the combat seems much more intuitive then other turn based games I've played.

Can't wait to get back into it and grind, grind, grind. Up to level 18 so far. Fantastic game and swiftly becoming on of my all time best PS3 exclusives.

xeon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xeon71
Member since 2005 • 208 Posts

@withe1982: Glad you are enjoying the game you ended up picking. If you do get a chance in the future, do try Puppeteer. I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's quirky, fun, and different.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 withe1982

@xeon71 said:

@withe1982: Glad you are enjoying the game you ended up picking. If you do get a chance in the future, do try Puppeteer. I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's quirky, fun, and different.

It's now at the top of my list for the next game I'm buying.