PSP Downloads via PSN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Peabody99224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Peabody99224
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
I love how Sony did a massive update to the PSN and included a bunch of new games in lieu of the launch of the PSPGo; however why are new PSP games the exact same price as if I went to the store and bought it? For example: Motorstorm Arctic Edge is $39.99 to download, but if I walked into a store it's the same exact price, except I don't get the manual, the case, or an UMD disc! For granted the game itself is a good chunk of that, but if manufacturing costs are practically nonexistent shouldn't the downloadable copy be cheaper? Does this irritate anyone else?
thinner6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thinner6
Member since 2006 • 762 Posts

All digital games come with a digital version of the manual. Click the triangle button when you have a game selected and a whole menu pops up on the side, scroll to the bottom and it says Manual.

ultimakay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ultimakay
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts

Its possible that if digital goods were cheaper then more people would buy digital to save money. This it turn would have a negative effect on the retail stores and if the stores were not selling enough of the physical games then the store could drop all PSP games, which would be very bad.

Peabody99224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Peabody99224
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
A digital manual still doesn't need to be produced by a manufacturer and doesn't negate the cost of the actual disc or case. As for stores not selling PSP games...it's possible that might occur; however, supply and demand would dictate that the cost of PSP games would decrease, not that they would disappear. Retailers who carry a small amount PSP games might drop them completely, but companies who specialize in gaming or have a large profit margin based upon game sales wouldn't drop them completely.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Who knows...maybe its to pay for their upload/storage fees? Idk...but either way it doesnt matter to me. I dont need to lug around UMD's. Plus the cases and manuals are useless unless you READ the manual...then again, there's software versions!

gracefool99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gracefool99
Member since 2006 • 435 Posts

ether way you get the same game so why complain?

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
Things are probably still in the experiment stage. If Sony were to discount downloadable games now, they would never be able to increase the price till the next console generation. So, I assume they are seeing what they can get. If things fly at this price then they'll be sure to stay. If not, then they can always lower the price.
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

In theory, the downloadable copy should be cheaper, but then retailers would complain that they're being undercut by the online store, and that would cause unneeded stuff from happening.

At any rate, for losing the physical media, keep in mind the digital copy's load times will beat the UMD copy hands down, and that your battery life will be stressed less by the removed need to load data from the UMD drive.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
A digital manual still doesn't need to be produced by a manufacturer and doesn't negate the cost of the actual disc or case. As for stores not selling PSP games...it's possible that might occur; however, supply and demand would dictate that the cost of PSP games would decrease, not that they would disappear. Retailers who carry a small amount PSP games might drop them completely, but companies who specialize in gaming or have a large profit margin based upon game sales wouldn't drop them completely. Peabody99224
Yes it does; fabrication costs much less than layout and creating the content, just as creating a UMD costs much less than developing the content to go on it.