PSP 2000 vs PSP 3000

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

User Lists: 0

#1 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts

I've been back and forth over whether or not to get a PSP and ultimately, I think, I've decided on getting one. I would prefer purchasing a new one (though I guess a used one isn't completely out of the question), and especially after reading IGN's review and hearing complaints of the PSP 3000 screen issues, I'm leaning toward the 2000 model. Unfortunately, the bundle I really want -- the Daxter bundle -- has gotten quite pricey...but whatever.

So, if you have a PSP 3000 or have had some extended use of one, do you really think the screen issue is that bad? Is it bad enough to warrant just getting a PSP 2000 instead?

Thanks for your help.

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts

I've been back and forth over whether or not to get a PSP and ultimately, I think, I've decided on getting one. I would prefer purchasing a new one (though I guess a used one isn't completely out of the question), and especially after reading IGN's review and hearing complaints of the PSP 3000 screen issues, I'm leaning toward the 2000 model. Unfortunately, the bundle I really want -- the Daxter bundle -- has gotten quite pricey...but whatever.

So, if you have a PSP 3000 or have had some extended use of one, do you really think the screen issue is that bad? Is it bad enough to warrant just getting a PSP 2000 instead?

Thanks for your help.

bluej33
I was in the same position as you a few months ago, couldn't decide whether the screen issues were true or not, especially after what IGN said. However, I got one anyways because I like to have the latest model. Basically, I can't describe to you how much I hate IGN for lying to me, they have really lost all credibility with me. They said the 3000's screen was a complete and utter downgrade, when it's actually the complete opposite. It's bright, colorful, and the scan lines are only visible when you are literally holding the machine up against your face. I'm no fanboy, I was actually considering buying a DS first, but there is no excuse for the review that IGN put out there. Read any other review or user review, the basic consensus is: "The screen is brighter and more colorful, and the scan lines exist but in no way affect the enjoyment of the upgraded screen." It may not be worth upgrading too, but if it's gonna be your first PSP then yeah, 3000 all the way.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I played 3000. It looked so bright. Yup, it was my first time to own PSP. I will ask my friend about 1000 and 2000 that he may own both. He told me that he lost his PSP 1000 to somewhere in subway.
bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#4 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
HTP: Great -- thanks a lot. I'll check out some user reviews elsewhere, I guess. Thanks again ;).
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
The screen issue with the PSP 3000 is blown WAY out of proportion. I've played extensively with two different 3000s and the so-called issue isn't noticeable at all. The images you see online are low quality split-second blown-up frames that are taken completely out of context. Those that have most touted the issue are PSP 2000 owners that are put-out by the relatively minor upgrade they can't rationalize purchasing.

The double refresh rate and brighter screen far outwieghs the alternative. The ghosting issue on older models is far worse.
blinkFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blinkFx
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts
I recently bought a 3000, i was warey about what people were saying like IGN. but im shocked. the screen is fine. its bright clear and i cant even see scan lines unless i look for them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts
I'm frankly shocked about how much bad press the 3000 screen has gotten. I love the brightness of the screen and I hardly ever see the scan lines, even when looking for them. There are so many other useful benefits of the 3000 that it's a must purchase, IMO.
jtpownall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jtpownall
Member since 2007 • 126 Posts
The 3000 screen is great - no problems.
ShakinSoreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShakinSoreen
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm considering buying a PSP 3000 after my mate gave me his 1000 with a cracked screen, after i fixed it all up for some reason the controls wouldn't work properly. so since i've brought games i think i should buy a 3000. But i read from reviews like IGN that the screen has serious problems and i'm now not sure whether to take the chance of using all of my money for one. Please someone help! Is the screen seriously bad or is it people overreacting. Thanks!
barny0111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 barny0111
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

I'll vouch for the 3000 screen. Its bright and clear. I don't really know what the prob is with scan lines. I can't notice anything.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
I'm considering buying a PSP 3000 after my mate gave me his 1000 with a cracked screen, after i fixed it all up for some reason the controls wouldn't work properly. so since i've brought games i think i should buy a 3000. But i read from reviews like IGN that the screen has serious problems and i'm now not sure whether to take the chance of using all of my money for one. Please someone help! Is the screen seriously bad or is it people overreacting. Thanks!ShakinSoreen
As I stated over a year ago IN THIS THREAD, the screen is fine. lol. Don't think; just buy! ;-P
Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts

I just bought my new psp 3000 (lovely vibrant blue), replacing my 100 which is starting to fail. The first game I played on my 3000 was SSX on tour, an original PSP launch title. The first thing that I noticed was the slightly grainy quality of the screen, I'd noticed this in screenshots before, but as soon as the action started, all was forgotten. I also noticed vertical scan lines going across the screen in some of the darker areas, but when i blinkeed and looked again they were gone.

The other things I noticed were: the lack of ghosting, the brighter, clearer screen, the quicker loading times, the loveliness of owning my first piece of new gaming hardware since my GBA ;)

The only other thing I would say is that I chose this particular 3000 was because I liked the colour. It happened to come bundled with a harry potter game. I could have had the black psp with a free copy of Resistance Retribution, or a turquoise one with Little Big Planet (which I already own). I have to report that Harry Potter and the Half blood Prince is an utterly dismal game, and is probably responsible for some of the PSP's relative sales faliure... ....A child buys his new PSP having read no reviews of any games for it. His shiny new PSP comes bundled with Harry Potter, so he runs home all excited, turns it on and plays Harry Potter for 5 minutes. After this, he not only thinks that the harry potter game sucks, but the PSP also sucks, having had no experience of any other games. He then goes out and tells all his friends how rubbish the PSP is, and they al go out and buy nintendo DSs.

ShakinSoreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShakinSoreen
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Haha okay thanks :D I'm going to get the Vibrant Red 3000 today :)
afrodudeman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 afrodudeman123
Member since 2009 • 178 Posts

get the 2000

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#17 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

I've never had a PSP, did my portable gaming on the DS for the past few years. Just got a PSP 3000 a week ago. I love it, and the screen looks great. I have zero complaints.