PSN accounts Hacked. Question to be answered.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Hey guys do i have to keep my Debit Card on my PSN to keep it active? Or am i good with just the subscription for PS +? Is it mandatory. I don't want to get hacked. My friend got hacked out of 300 dollars on his credit card. Also some reports of PSN hacks took place this week. Don't want to be that unlucky fellow.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

no i dont have my debit card on my ps+ account

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

1. PSN wasn't hacked

2. Using a credit card in person raises your chance for it to be used without your consent by 80%

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RiKanKiDD

MY FRIEND's PSN got hacked. and so were some others.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RiKanKiDD

@Jaysonguy: here is proof. Don't prove me wrong :) http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/06/hacked-psn-accounts-used-to-make-fraudulent-charges

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@RiKanKiDD said:

@Jaysonguy: here is proof. Don't prove me wrong :) http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/06/hacked-psn-accounts-used-to-make-fraudulent-charges

That is hardly SEN itself getting hacked.. Fifa gets hacked all the time across all platforms. I actually was a victim of the Fifa hack on PC a few weeks ago...

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It depends. What's your password so we can determine its strength.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

@RiKanKiDD said:

Accounts were hacked, not PSN, there's a big difference

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying that this is different

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Seems like US CC and DC companies are useless at enforcing security, I'm forced to use 2-tier authentication for most online services.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RiKanKiDD

@Jaysonguy: I never said PSN got hacked. I said my Friend's and some people's PSN accounts. NOT PSN as a whole

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

@RiKanKiDD said:

@Jaysonguy: I never said PSN got hacked. I said my Friend's and some people's PSN accounts. NOT PSN as a whole

I know but you're getting all paranoid about what you keep on the PSN

PSN was not hacked, that means as long as you keep your password along the same lines as the rest of your passwords you're golden.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@MethodManFTW: "The Sony rep said all the charges would be refunded within five to seven days and stressed "making sure that your password is not something that you use on other places around the internet"

Says it all really. Happens all the time, people with a username and password list from a badly secured site use the list on other sites and sometimes they work so they do as much damage as possible, or at least they tried to.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

People get hacked all the time on Live or other games. It's not something new

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

@RiKanKiDD: did u even read the article??? " Of course, there's no direct evidence the alleged charges are in fact related to the emails sent out from Sony, and it's unclear if the issue is widespread"

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Just don't use the same password you do for every other site and you'll be a lot more safer than if you did. This particular incident had something to do with hacking FIFA14 and trading cards, apparently it's effecting people on XBOX Live also. And apparently stuff like this happens all the time. You just need to be smart with your passwords and not use the 1 password for every single thing you come across.

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

I actually got hacked on XBL this year, I had

My credit card and had a transaction from California (I'm from Wisconsin just $50. I didn't order anything online so I imagine it had to have been hacked.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@RiKanKiDD said:

Hey guys do i have to keep my Debit Card on my PSN to keep it active? Or am i good with just the subscription for PS +? Is it mandatory. I don't want to get hacked. My friend got hacked out of 300 dollars on his credit card. Also some reports of PSN hacks took place this week. Don't want to be that unlucky fellow.

PSN wasnt hacked....

chiro4life06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chiro4life06
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

I noticed just this morning that my debit card had 2 fraudulent charges on it for a total of almost $800. I do not use this account other than for PSN and Netflix and never keep more than 50 bucks in that checking account. I recently put more in it to Xmas shop for my wife; I did not lose my card so the only way I can think of was someone was able to get info for the card linked to my PSN account. The charges were online purchases and not made within the PS Store.

suade907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 suade907
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts

My PSN account got hacked a few years back, my Origin account has been hacked, my xbox live account was hacked in the fifa scandal. Yet no other account I own has ever been hacked. Whats with video game accounts. Every time one of them was hacked I got the run around. For my origin account I almost didn't get that back because when I originally set it up I didn't use my real birthday and couldn't remember it even though I had my credit card every purchase was made on it. They wouldn't give it back until I found a higher up phone number that delt with that stuff.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RiKanKiDD

@Geminon: I never sad PSN was hacked. I said certain people were. and It was also said my Sony.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

@chiro4life06 said:

I noticed just this morning that my debit card had 2 fraudulent charges on it for a total of almost $800. I do not use this account other than for PSN and Netflix and never keep more than 50 bucks in that checking account. I recently put more in it to Xmas shop for my wife; I did not lose my card so the only way I can think of was someone was able to get info for the card linked to my PSN account. The charges were online purchases and not made within the PS Store.

Even if you use a card in just one place, there's still a lot of fault lines where it can be compromised. What network the card was used on, when the information is sent to the website, when the information is sent to the bank, if it's kept on record anywhere, etc, etc.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@RiKanKiDD said:

@Geminon: I never sad PSN was hacked. I said certain people were. and It was also said my Sony.

no it wasnt.... it was never said that anything was hacked. they said they had suspicious activity..... that could mean almost anything. they could have seen suspicious activity from IP addresses normally associated with PSN accounts.... they could have had people trying to brute force passwords.... again, it could be anything

nothing was ever mentioned about anyone being hacked.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

An article mentioning "according to one person" and "another" is misinformation at best, Sony issued a statement that they saw some strange activities on some accounts and as a security precaution asked to change the passwords. If some people used weak passwords on dozens of sites and people used them those can be found easily as the fraudulent user would have to activate another PS3 with the same account and Sony can find them easily.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

That's why I hate using my credit card for online purchases, and people laugh at me for it. I go in store and use the downloadable cards to make purchases on PSN/XBL.