PS4? Was the PS3 perfected by Sony?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jenmoira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jenmoira
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts

Im not a bit excited to see the PS4. Wanna know why? Cause the PS3 console had so many set backs that even Sony's having a hard time resolving it. For example, the overheating issues of the console itself, lots of PS3 owners have already at a time experienced this problem. They say that it is caused by the high power requirement of the PS3 games. So if PS4 would be released, same problem may also occur on this upcoming new gaming console. Everyone who experienced the overheating problem has an idea how much it costs to repair this problem. it almost cost almost 3/4 of the original console price. So how much would the PS4 cost? AN THE REPAIRS????? Just a side note... High definition of gaming means higher requirements. Reslove the first issue so it wont happen on again on future plans for the PS4...

moorken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 moorken
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
time will bring you all your answers ;-)
T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
Wait till 2015-16 and check back here to see if overheating problems are occuring and then buy the console.Thats the only solution thats not gonna cost you in the future because companies will say just about anything to sell their products.I remember when PS3 was announced people were hyping it like it was the second coming of Jesus(PBUH) and look what happened.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

what are you going on about, ps3 set backs???? it wasn't that bad, the only thing they did wrong was make development hard for publishers and they have learned from that, i've still got a launch ps3 and it works fine, over heating problems??? i've had 3 xbox 360's and all have overheated and died. i'm sorry you were one of the ones who got a problem but in my eyes ps3 is as good as it gets. bring on the ps4 they've learned from the ps3 and now it's time to move on.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm sorry about your experience dude but that's the chance you take with ANY electronic.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I used to be impressed by Playstation. Now it's just a budget PC.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I used to be impressed by aPlaystation. Now it's just a budget PC.SKaREO

Consoles have always been budget computers all the time. Are you upset Sony abandoned the exotic mess that the Cell turned out to be. Be easy to program for is not a negative. Plus the PS4 makes the PS3 look like trash in comparison.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I'm hoping the "even" numbered Playstation are more reliable, I had 3 PS1s, 1 PS2, 3 PS3s ...

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 T-Bone91

I'm hoping the "even" numbered Playstation are more reliable, I had 3 PS1s, 1 PS2, 3 PS3s ...

TheTenth10

LMAO.I had 1 PS1,2 PS2s and 2 PS3s so your idea about the "even" number gets debunked :P

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
by that flawed logic... lems be scared of RROD 2.0
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I have been saying it since before the PS3 even launched. The PS3 was and is nothing more than a "guinea pig" that they used to test some social features, and other gimmick ideas to see what did and didnt work. The overhauling of many ideas and firmware updates were simply testing what they were actually preparing for all along. That being the PS4. SO I guess if you look at it like me, the PS3 was actually just a placeholder or a BETA for the PS4. That's not saying that it didnt have a few great games, however.....even SONY admitted to basically saying the PS3 was more or less just a test phase. It was in the 2 hour long unveiling event. Dont ask me for a link or where it was I heard it, because I dont remember.... lol All I know is that when I heard them say they used the PS3 as a testing ground and as a step ladder, I was like ding ding ding... we have a winner!

I was very disappointed with the PS3, however I am looking forward to the PS4 A LOT!!! I didnt have much hype for the PS3 for the exact reasons I already stated.

I also predicted that 360 would win the console wars this gen, however Nintendo sold out to long time fans and milked them dry. Which I predicted would doom them. SO far I have been right because the WiiU is in dire jeopardy of crashing hard. If it wasnt for Nintendo basically selling its soul for a quick buck, then 360 WOULD have won.

I predict the PS4 to dominate this coming generation, and with the WiiU already losing to BOTH the PS3 and 360 it doesnt look like it is a 3 way race, now it is a two way race.

I know that the rumors of the 720 may not be true, HOWEVER the rumors about the PS4 were almost spot on, meaning that if Microsoft did sell out like Nintendo did, I dont see consumers being fooled a second time! All this kinect 2.0 crap is a BAD idea. ALways on internet and no used game sales? What were they thinking?

Devs are delighted with the PS4's specs, and if things keep shaping up the way they look I am truly saddened that both Nintendo and Xbox may do HORRIBLE this coming generation giving SONY no direct competition.

We all know how hard SONY tries if they dont have competition.... sigh... I just hope that Microsoft pulls its head out of its ass if it doesnt want to piss off its entire fanbase.

At the rate things are going, SONY may be the only truly devoted core gamer sonsole on the market soon. Honestly I hope that doesnt happen.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

its all about rumours imos

JBStone1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 JBStone1981
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

To an extent, they bungled the PS3. But a lot of the problems are hardware-related, and not fixable short of releasing a new system...which they are now doing. So consider the PS4 your fix. 

Give Sony credit for realizing their mistakes and making a concerted effort to correct them. Problem number one was how difficult the PS3 was to program for, and that has now addressed. And imagine if they use Gaikai to make, as they've said, the entire PS library--from the first console through the PS3--available at the press of a button? That would no doubt come with a Gamefly-esque subscription fee, but so what? 

There seems to be no limit to the potential of this next console generation.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Playstation 4 will hopefully be safe from YLOD, RROD type of hardware difficulties. All of the Playstations 1,2,3 have had their problems. But Playstation 4 has not yet launched. So it is not known. Even the PSP had issues at launch. With dead pixels.

Interestingly The PSvita has been free from Hardware issues. The PS4 could be just fine as well. But until launch we just don not know.

The Playstation 4 should be Sony's bset ever?

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
My launch PS3 lasted 6 years and I just sold it to upgrade to a new slim. I had no overheating issues, I just took really good care of it.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

I used to be impressed by Playstation. Now it's just a budget PC.SKaREO

Both Intel Atom and IBM PPE are in-order dual instruction issue per cycle CPU core designs.

From Nov 2006 time period, PS3 already has some aging design compared to NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS.

PS3's NVIDIA RSX has Geforce 7600 GT's ROP and 7900's shader unit count. Sony selected a Geforce 7 based GPU design that was heading towards EOL(End of Life) on the PC i.e. Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS was released a few days ahead of PS3.

Based on Sony's white paper, CELL's 5 SPUs are roughtly equal to the aging Geforce 7800 GTX in deferred shading.

SPU's design was cut back to early 1990s RISC vector designs but with high clock speed. IBM SPU doesn't have any NVIDIA Gigathreads technology i.e. thousands hyperthreads and decoupled load/store-to-math units designs.

In terms of graphics processor design, IBM SPU is primitive compared to NVIDIA's CUDA GPU designs. IBM SPU's kitbashed CPU for graphics processing is like SGI's kitbash of MIPS CPU for graphics on Nintendo Gamecube. IBM SPU just shows to the world how IBM is out of touch when it comes to designing processors for real time graphics.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Sony is going with an architecture CPU+GPU built in one chip and they run cooler than other methods. The PS3 didn't have a high failure rate at 10%. People who fell in that 10% believe there was a bigger problem than there really was. 

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Out of 12 PS3 owners I know and all have multiple PS3s from launch and Slim models  only 1 60gb has gone out. 6 Slims, 2 20gb, 5 60gb, and 5 80gb still are running fine. 

01_855403

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 01_855403
Member since 2006 • 1004 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]I used to be impressed by Playstation. Now it's just a budget PC.ronvalencia

Both Intel Atom and IBM PPE are in-order dual instruction issue per cycle CPU core designs.

From Nov 2006 time period, PS3 already has some aging design compared to NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS.

PS3's NVIDIA RSX has Geforce 7600 GT's ROP and 7900's shader unit count. Sony selected a Geforce 7 based GPU design that was heading towards EOL(End of Life) on the PC i.e. Geforce 8800 GTX/GTS was released a few days ahead of PS3.

Based on Sony's white paper, CELL's 5 SPUs are roughtly equal to the aging Geforce 7800 GTX in deferred shading.

SPU's design was cut back to early 1990s RISC vector designs but with high clock speed. IBM SPU doesn't have any NVIDIA Gigathreads technology i.e. thousands hyperthreads and decoupled load/store-to-math units designs.

In terms of graphics processor design, IBM SPU is primitive compared to NVIDIA's CUDA GPU designs. IBM SPU's kitbashed CPU for graphics processing is like SGI's kitbash of MIPS CPU for graphics on Nintendo Gamecube. IBM SPU just shows to the world how IBM is out of touch when it comes to designing processors for real time graphics.

It was the CELL that was responsible for great exclusives, from first party studios. The console was/still great because of what it offered back in 2006 and till now, it is a combination of software and hardware. It is clear that you know what you are talking about but you missed one slight detail. Through what i read, it seems that Sony was overconfident about the CELL and Ken wanted it to be a CPU GPU Hybrid. Yet this proved flawed, so a little over a year before the launch they contacted Nvidia to develop a GPU. So things were rushed so they couldnt pull off Unified Shader Architecture, in the GPU. Note: Still there is no point of comparing console to PC architecture except to please my/our tech savvy side, most people/users dont really care.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]I used to be impressed by Playstation. Now it's just a budget PC.01_855403

It was the CELL that was responsible for great exclusives, from first party studios. The console was/still great because of what it offered back in 2006 and till now, it is a combination of software and hardware. It is clear that you know what you are talking about but you missed one slight detail. Through what i read, it seems that Sony was overconfident about the CELL and Ken wanted it to be a CPU GPU Hybrid. Yet this proved flawed, so a little over a year before the launch they contacted Nvidia to develop a GPU. So things were rushed so they couldnt pull off Unified Shader Architecture, in the GPU. Note: Still there is no point of comparing console to PC architecture except to please my/our tech savvy side, most people/users dont really care.

You also missed one slight detail. The other GPU with GpGPU features(beyond Direct3D9c features) is ATI Radeon X18x0/X19x0 e.g. ATI Radeon X1950 Pro proven to on par with ATI Xenos. Unified Shader is only one factor for GPU's overall performance e.g. full speed 32bit math units, good shader branch, decoupled compute and texture units and 'etc'.

As for "Still there is no point of comparing console to PC architecture" statement, ATI Radeon X19x0 crushed IBM CELL at Fold@Home by 2X and that's with non-graphics workload. For Fold @ Home, ATI Radeon X19x0 is being used like IBM SPU.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTenth10"]

T-Bone91

LMAO.I had 1 PS1,2 PS2s and 2 PS3s so your idea about the "even" number gets debunked :P

Still on my first 80GB Phat boy console i bought her near launch and she's been going strong ever since *taps on wood*

Sony are reliable and i'm happy with their console but i won't even begin to tell you how much Xbox 360's i went through back in the day :P

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 T-Bone91

[QUOTE="T-Bone91"]

[QUOTE="TheTenth10"]

BattleSpectre

Still on my first 80GB Phat boy console i bought her near launch and she's been going strong ever since *taps on wood*

Sony are reliable and i'm happy with their console but i won't even begin to tell you how much Xbox 360's i went through back in the day :P

Well I had a 60gb launch model which got YLOD nearly a year ago so I bought a 320gb slim move bundle and I had 6 360's 4 of which got RROD and 2 got E64 after which I decided I'm not gonna buy a new 360 again.Maybe next gen the console manufacturers will produce more reliable consoles.Anyway I'll probably get the PS4 in 2015 or 2014 end.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
imo the PS3's networking "share" community should have been what the PS4 is promising. The whole cell processor wasn't necessary and they've learned. As far as the hardware itself, impressive, just depends on the right price point. And finally, having the Vita communicating with it on the go just brings up the value. I personally will get it day 1.
FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

I had no overheating issues, I just took really good care of it.nightshade869

i always *facepalm* when people say this..

No, you just got really lucky is all. Its a electronic device, they are bound to malfunction  sooner or later. All the caring in the world wont stop it from breaking down, you probably just didnt play your PS3 extensively.

I took really good care of my itouch and one day the audio jack stopped working..i took really good care of my laptop and one day my internal fan stopped working..i took really good care of my PS3 also and one day it got the ylod..So "taking care of it" doesnt mean a damn thing.