This topic is locked from further discussion.

pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

Without sounding like a consoles war thing, i simply want to know what the difference in specs between the two new consoles is and what that mean in terms of gaming.

For instance what does GDDR5 offer thats an improvement on DDR3?

Thanks for the help

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It runs hotter but faster.

The PS4 is missing the chip on it's die that allows computations to be done off it's main processor and RAM.

Both systems are neck and neck as far as performance, they're just getting there different ways

MrGameChef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MrGameChef
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts
The performance are pretty similar. I don't think anyone will make a purchase decision based on the one with "better specs". It will be mostly based on exclusive games, service/interface, and brand loyalty.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Really?  Because I've been hearing a bunch of artices, forum threads saying PS4 is significantly better than the XBOX ONE in terms of hardware(50% to be exact).    And that Microsoft are using TEH CLOUD technology to boost graphics which a lot of developers are calling bullshit on that one.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

Really?  Because I've been hearing a bunch of artices, forum threads saying PS4 is significantly better than the XBOX ONE in terms of hardware(50% to be exact).    And that Microsoft are using TEH CLOUD technology to boost graphics which a lot of developers are calling bullshit on that one.

Crossel777
CPUs are the same, Memory is damn near the same. Difference is GPU where PS3 has a 50% advantage in compute ability. I have no clue how much of a difference that will make real world though.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

FPSfan1985

CPUs are the same, Memory is damn near the same. Difference is GPU where PS3 has a 50% advantage in compute ability. I have no clue how much of a difference that will make real world though.

Aren't GPUs like the most important component for great looking visuals?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
GDDR5 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than DDR3. If third party developers will actually take advantage? Who knows.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Crossel777"]

pickettsticket

Aren't GPUs like the most important component for great looking visuals?

Absolutely. But until we know how large the real world difference is, it's hard to say much. That 50% number being throw around is based on teraflops, which really tells us nothing about real world performance.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FPSfan1985
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]GDDR5 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than DDR3. If third party developers will actually take advantage? Who knows.

Not really. It depends on the application and the chip being utilized. There is a reason both DDR3 and GDDR5 are manufactured. DDR3 will create a GPU bottleneck, while GDDR5 will create a CPU bottleneck. Both companies were kinda stupid in just have one big shared pool of only one type of memory, but it must have been a way to cut costs.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

FPSfan1985

GPU is much faster and GDDR5 is much faster than DDR3. PS4 is 50% more powerful says tech heads. So yeah PS4 is the higher spec system, already proven to be.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Mrmedia01

GPU is much faster and GDDR5 is much faster than DDR3. PS4 is 50% more powerful says tech heads. So yeah PS4 is the higher spec system, already proven to be.

I don't think you have a clue what you read. All you seen was 50% more powerful. Do a bit of research. Difference isn't as drastic as most think.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] CPUs are the same, Memory is damn near the same. Difference is GPU where PS3 has a 50% advantage in compute ability. I have no clue how much of a difference that will make real world though.FPSfan1985

I don't think you have a clue what you read. All you seen was 50% more powerful. Do a bit of research. Difference isn't as drastic as most think.

If you have any links or anything like that things say GDDR5 over DDR3 is not a big deal I'd like to read them.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FPSfan1985

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

MethodManFTW

If you have any links or anything like that things say GDDR5 over DDR3 is not a big deal I'd like to read them.

"The combination of the two plus the CPU-GPU connection at 30GB/s is how Microsoft arrives at its 200GB/s bandwidth figure, although in reality thats not how any of this works. If its used as a cache, the embedded SRAM should significantly cut down on GPU memory bandwidth requests which will give the GPU much more bandwidth than the 256-bit DDR3-2133 memory interface would otherwise imply. Depending on how the eSRAM is managed, its very possible that the Xbox One could have comparable effective memory bandwidth to the PlayStation 4. If the eSRAM isnt managed as a cache however, this all gets much more complicated." http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/3 Entire article is a good read.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]I don't think you have a clue what you read. All you seen was 50% more powerful. Do a bit of research. Difference isn't as drastic as most think.FPSfan1985

"The combination of the two plus the CPU-GPU connection at 30GB/s is how Microsoft arrives at its 200GB/s bandwidth figure, although in reality thats not how any of this works. If its used as a cache, the embedded SRAM should significantly cut down on GPU memory bandwidth requests which will give the GPU much more bandwidth than the 256-bit DDR3-2133 memory interface would otherwise imply. Depending on how the eSRAM is managed, its very possible that the Xbox One could have comparable effective memory bandwidth to the PlayStation 4. If the eSRAM isnt managed as a cache however, this all gets much more complicated." http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/3 Entire article is a good read.

Just read the article and what I said still sounds true to me.. "GDDR5 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than DDR3. If third party developers will actually take advantage? Who knows."
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FPSfan1985
[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]

MethodManFTW

Just read the article and what I said still sounds true to me.. "GDDR5 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than DDR3. If third party developers will actually take advantage? Who knows."

More bandwidth doesn't = faster. DDR3 has much faster timings. I suggest you read up on the differences. GDDR5 is nothing but DDR3 built with GPUs in mind. They both have advantages and disadvantages.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MethodManFTW
I don't gather that from the article you linked.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FPSfan1985
I don't gather that from the article you linked.MethodManFTW
That link doesn't go into detail about the differences in ram types. But ram is a non factor. The fact the PS4 has a better GPU is all that really matters. I'm just waiting for details to see how much better. The ram in these systems won't be game changing.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MethodManFTW
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]I don't gather that from the article you linked.FPSfan1985
That link doesn't go into detail about the differences in ram types. But ram is a non factor. The fact the PS4 has a better GPU is all that really matters. I'm just waiting for details to see how much better. The ram in these systems won't be game changing.

Developers talk like the RAM was a huge factor this gen, of course because the amount was so low for both consoles. I happily await what devs will actually do with the new hardware.
ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts

How about this?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/gddr5/Pages/gddr5.aspx#2

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

How about this?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/gddr5/Pages/gddr5.aspx#2

ultimameteora
That's just looking at the GPUs which is how people keep getting the 1.2 vs. 1.8 teraflop difference. It's the bottleneck from the unused bandwidth and higher latencies with the GDDR5 vs. the DDR3 that makes up the difference. You have to realize it's all of the components working together, not just which has a faster GPU.
hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

Put simply, DDR3 handles smaller bits of data better while DDR5 handles larger chunks of data better. DDR3 also runs at a higher voltage then DDR5

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
So what does this all mean for the games??? You can sit here and debate this all day, but all people care about is how this translates to better games. Will all games now be able to handle 60fps? Will 1080p become the new standard resolution? That's what people want to know.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pickettsticket

So what does this all mean for the games??? You can sit here and debate this all day, but all people care about is how this translates to better games. Will all games now be able to handle 60fps? Will 1080p become the new standard resolution? That's what people want to know.Kravyn81

Yh, i can't keep up with my own discussion lol

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts
[QUOTE="Kravyn81"]So what does this all mean for the games??? You can sit here and debate this all day, but all people care about is how this translates to better games. Will all games now be able to handle 60fps? Will 1080p become the new standard resolution? That's what people want to know.

The answer to both of those questions should be yes, but it depends on the developer and what they feel is best for their game. It's completely up to the developer but it should lead to bigger more vibrant and moving game worlds.
TraXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 TraXxX
Member since 2006 • 1820 Posts

Does anyone know the speed of the hard drive? And would it be possible to replace the original hard drive with possibly an SSD?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Does anyone know the speed of the hard drive? And would it be possible to replace the original hard drive with possibly an SSD?

TraXxX

5400RPM most likely like most notebooks and yes to the SSD question, the PS3 can do that ;)

pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="TraXxX"]

GTR12

5400RPM most likely like most notebooks and yes to the SSD question, the PS3 can do that ;)

Wait . . . can you really put an SSD in?

is there a specific size or anything

TraXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 TraXxX
Member since 2006 • 1820 Posts

[QUOTE="TraXxX"]

GTR12

How about using an external USB 3.0 hard drive to install games on? Would that be possible? Cause I'm thinking a 500GB SSD would be kind of expensive...