PS4 Shuts itself off?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gau0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gau0123
Member since 2009 • 1010 Posts

So I have had my ps4 for about a week and a half, maybe 2. Haven't had any real problems with it, only once when it turned off and gave a red line, which I knew it overheated so I gave it many hours of rest and continued on playing and everything was fine. But recently after about 5 minutes after I log on, the system shuts itself down. 3 Beeps then it shuts down completely, no lights. I have no idea why its doing this. Its in an open area so it has a lot of room and can't overheat. Can someone help me what to do?

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Sounds like you have played the heck out of it which is a good thing but you may have killed it in the process. I'm going to end up getting a laptop cooler base to put under the PS4 which may or may not help with the cooling. Is it still shutting off on you?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

make sure there's plenty of space around it. and don't stack anything on top of it.

Gau0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gau0123

Yeah, I put my ps4 in a good ventilated area once it gave me the red light. And im not sure, I do not think that I played THAT much, I mean the reason why I got that red light was because it was crammed in a desk. Yes I am still having problems, still shuts off for me -_-. I am thinking of maybe backing up the data that I have put on, and exchanging it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Sounds like it was damaged from overheating. You could check to make sure it's fan is blowing, but will probably have to call Sony.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Gau0123 said:

So I have had my ps4 for about a week and a half, maybe 2. Haven't had any real problems with it, only once when it turned off and gave a red line, which I knew it overheated so I gave it many hours of rest and continued on playing and everything was fine. But recently after about 5 minutes after I log on, the system shuts itself down. 3 Beeps then it shuts down completely, no lights. I have no idea why its doing this. Its in an open area so it has a lot of room and can't overheat. Can someone help me what to do?

It needs to be open to air in front and back. Don't stand it up like they say or it can't draw enough air in as the one side gets blocked where air is drawn in. It's a lie that it can be stood upright as this causes both of my PS4's fans to get loud. I lay them back down and they get quiet again. Otherwise I don't know why yours did that.

Gau0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gau0123

Yeah I am going to lay it down now. You have a point about the one side that is being blocked. Yesterday when I woke up and played my PS4 it had no problems, then I come back in a few hours to play and it starts shutting itself off. Today I played in the morning and it had no problems, but I have a feeling in a few hours when I come back its just gonna be the same thing, shutting itself off. I noticed it started doing this when I set my ps4 to standby? I doubt thats the cause but just something to note.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Does it feel warm to the touch when its in standby mode?

kromatic_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kromatic_basic
Member since 2002 • 50 Posts

I had the same problem on the first day, got the red light and everything. So I change the spot of the ps4 to a more ventilated area and it has been working OK since

Syncotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Syncotic
Member since 2013 • 83 Posts

That idea to put it on a laptop cooler is good, those cost like $10-15 and could potentially give you a better life expectancy and they hook up by usb.

Gau0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gau0123

The PS4 does not feel warm when on standby mode, and I am thinking of a laptop cooler. But now the problem is not that the PS4 is shutting itself off. Now after 10 minutes of playing the PS4 shows the red light and shuts off. Meaning its overheating, yet I only played about 10-15 mins and my PS4 is in a pretty good spot for airflow. I feel like this PS4 is faulty and won't last. I am probably going to exchange it soon.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@Gau0123: yeah looks like it is faulty, get it returned before its too late.