PS4 remote play is... horrible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Tried to remote play on the Vita today and couldn't even keep the thing connected for a minute. It would connect, lag like all hell, freak out on the video, and then disconnect. Any advice to try to fix this thing? If I can't get it working at home, when I'm five feet from the thing, no way can I get it working when I'm at work.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

It's your network, not the technology. Works for me at home, and also when I am at work miles away.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

I havent had a single Issue and i use remote play a lot for Ps4 games.

CybaCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By CybaCowboy
Member since 2012 • 60 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

It's your network, not the technology. Works for me at home, and also when I am at work miles away.

I agree.

We don't have a PlayStation 4 (yet!) and thus I have only used it on the PlayStation 3, but I have never had any problems with it... It just depends on network speeds and whatnot.

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

It must be a connection issue. When I first got my Vita, it could not connect to my PS3, my PC or PSN via wi-fi. I played with DNS, and the problem solved. Maybe the same issue here?

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Tried to remote play on the Vita today and couldn't even keep the thing connected for a minute. It would connect, lag like all hell, freak out on the video, and then disconnect. Any advice to try to fix this thing? If I can't get it working at home, when I'm five feet from the thing, no way can I get it working when I'm at work.

It does sound like your internet speed may not be up to scratch and an upgrade may be in order. You'd be surprised how cheaply you can get very fast broadband these days.

Make sure your ps4 is wired and not connected wireless also make sure no computers or laptops are running any programs which may effect your connection.

I have 5-7mb internet at most at home and my remote play works like a charm. I've completed at least 50% of InFAMOUS:SS on my Vita. I have tried from work a few times but the lousy 2mb connection here isn't strong enough at all.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

PS4 wired connection and it should work fine, i believe it's the wireless which seems to be the problems but it does come down to your internet speed aswell

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I'm confused, your all talking about internet speed, yet when using adhoc router connection (E.G both devices are connected to your same router) they do not use your internet connect? just wireless network? at least, thats how I THOUGHT it worked.

I dont have wired connected on my PS4 and it works fine... though I do have fibre.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@MBirdy88: yeah that threw me as well, remote play also works when you're at work so I guess that's where some people were going. It does look like your local connection may have an issue, possibly as mentioned the wireless connection. Also maybe your router could have 100mbps switch built in putting quite a limit on the bandwidth, I doubt its the vita or PS4 however but can't rule it out.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

"remote play is horrible"

Correction: remote play works horrible for you. I think it has been well documented that remote play is a success. Reconfigure your internet setup and give it another try. Personally I have had nothing but good experiences even when out of the house.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

@porkchopxp said:

"remote play is horrible"

Correction: remote play works horrible for you. I think it has been well documented that remote play is a success. Reconfigure your internet setup and give it another try. Personally I have had nothing but good experiences even when out of the house.

Well done sir lol....

But yeah Remote play works fine for me too.

jaay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaay55
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts

@MBirdy88: How i think it works is it uses the routers data transfer speed when both devices are connected to the same router, thus no internet data is being used and the speeds are capped at the routers capabilities (including signal strength and such when using wifi). Now when one is connected to your home router, and another is connected to another router, then internet data is used because they must send data outside of your local network. Now the speeds are capped by your ISP. NOTE: I am not too sure about how it works but i think that is the gist of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@jaay55 said:

@MBirdy88: How i think it works is it uses the routers data transfer speed when both devices are connected to the same router, thus no internet data is being used and the speeds are capped at the routers capabilities (including signal strength and such when using wifi). Now when one is connected to your home router, and another is connected to another router, then internet data is used because they must send data outside of your local network. Now the speeds are capped by your ISP. NOTE: I am not too sure about how it works but i think that is the gist of it.

Indeed, I have to ask though, how do you even check/change these settings or is it automatic? I can't see to find anyway to look/change it on either my PS4 or Vita... I would like to experiment.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JustPlainLucas

I find it odd that I've played both FFXIV on PS3 and PS4 and they run just fine. Netflix runs fine on all devices. My internet speed is roughly 10-13 Mb/s and I've no issues with connecting to the Vita to the PS3... Oh well. Only thing I can do now is try to wire the PS4 but I'll have the get a cord because the router's too far away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

Remote play hasnt been great for me either. I have good fiber optic internet through fios and my other wireless devices get great download speeds. The router is maybe 3 years old. I can connect but the latency is annoying. Maybe its because im playing a twitch game like resogun which requires precise controls. I have tried dialing into my ps4 from miles away and that has not worked at all.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 dcno07
Member since 2002 • 2858 Posts

It might not be your internet.. My PS4 is wired, my hard wired speed is 50 Mb/s + and wireless is about 26 Mb/s (when I'm right next to the router) and remote play is pretty choppy and unplayable. However at my gf's place where my vita reads her wireless speed at about 11 Mb/s it works PERFECTLY.. I have no clue what causes this... I don't really care tho because there is no reason for me to ever remote play from my own house.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Same as the guy above. I have a 50+Mb/s connection and it is usually terrible. Once I did manage to get a smooth session of Injustice and about 10 minutes of Ghosts another time but no such luck ever again. It's certainly not my internet, at least not my speeds.

Shonuff331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shonuff331
Member since 2003 • 90 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

Ditto. Remote Play works flawlessly in the home, away from home over wifi and even when using my cellphone as a mobile hotspot.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai

@Shonuff331: I highly doubt that. 3G and 4G speeds are not fast enough.

-Edit- Just checked it out, apparently it has had some positive results for some people even though its not perfect. They ended with

"The point is these conditions were very far from ideal, but the results were serviceable, suggesting that in many other conditions it will provide an even smoother experience."

I'll have to give that a go!

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

Remote play works great for me, and I'm about 50 feet away and upstairs from my router.

Shonuff331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shonuff331

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@Shonuff331: I highly doubt that. 3G and 4G speeds are not fast enough.

-Edit- Just checked it out, apparently it has had some positive results for some people even though its not perfect. They ended with

"The point is these conditions were very far from ideal, but the results were serviceable, suggesting that in many other conditions it will provide an even smoother experience."

I'll have to give that a go!

You're free to doubt it if you like. That doesn't change my experience and I have zero reason to lie about it, especially on a message board I comment on so infrequently. It works flawlessly for me on 5 bars. On 4 bars the video quality is noticeably soft but still playable and enjoyable. On 3 bars I see heavy macroblocking in fast motion scenes making the games playable but not entirely enjoyable. 2 bars or less is simply hilarious. Makes every game look like Thomas is Alone mixed with Starseed Pilgrim IF it keeps a connection.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Sounds like your network, yes.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai

@Shonuff331: There's no need to take it so personally. In case you missed it I check it out and found some other positive results which I mentioned in my edit. I apologize if I came of as douchy or something.

Shonuff331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shonuff331

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@Shonuff331: There's no need to take it so personally. In case you missed it I check it out and found some other positive results which I mentioned in my edit. I apologize if I came of as douchy or something.

No worries here Kaze and no need for apologies. Give it a shot though. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. The ability to essentially "take my PS4" with me in my pocket has been a real game changer and I frankly didn't expect it to be before trying it. Games that were coming out both on PS4 and PC I would ordinarily get on my PC without a second thought but now I actually debate which version I want. Do I want mods and sharper visuals or do I really want to be able to take this game with me on my travels? I didn't think anything would make me consider getting multiplatform games on a console as opposed to a PC again but the remote play and how well it's worked really changed my mind. That's the only reason I chimed in on this topic. As you can see I've been here over 10 years with only 80 something posts. I have to feel strong about something to comment here these days for what that's worth. Regards.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Ignore the people talking about your internet connection. They have no clue.

Your wireless router might be crappy or you might have a lot of electric interference between the PS4 and the router or the Vita and the router, or the Vita or PS4 could be faulty.

Might want to try connecting directly to the PS4 using the PS4 as an access point.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/direct.html

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5065/~/ps4-remote-play-and-second-screen

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JustPlainLucas

@guynamedbilly said:

Ignore the people talking about your internet connection. They have no clue.

Your wireless router might be crappy or you might have a lot of electric interference between the PS4 and the router or the Vita and the router, or the Vita or PS4 could be faulty.

Might want to try connecting directly to the PS4 using the PS4 as an access point.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/direct.html

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5065/~/ps4-remote-play-and-second-screen

Even though I just figured this out about a half hour ago, I must say thank you for providing some useful information other than "durr it's your network". Now, the Vita works beautifully. I'll have to give it another go at work tomorrow and see how it fairs.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

i have absolutely no issues with remote play, i even finished all of Ground Zeroes on one sitting using the vita.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I have had great experiences with it for the most part. When my wife wanted to watch the weather channel during a big storm, I beat Outlast on the VIta, which was great. As others have said, if you are having problems, it may be your network... possibly a latency issue. Also, it may be a firewall issue requiring port forwarding or something like that. I can't play it remotely (not at home) because none of the networks I access are fast enough, so that's unfortunate, but overall it's a tremendous achievement.

Avatar image for maxwellcolumbia
MaxwellColumbia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MaxwellColumbia
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've recently found that the Quality of Service (QoS) settings in my router plays a part in getting remote play to work in my household. We have a big family so naturally there is a lot of wifi devices bidding for network time and of course contributing to wifi pollution that makes even the direct connection to the PS4's internal Wifi / Addhoc impossible. So here are a few things I did to get my remote play up and running as smooth as it can. (hiccups still occur but have been reduced to few and far between).
We have a netgear router, and one of the first things recommended to me was to download a free app from Google play store to view the local access points in the area and see their overlapping patterns. This was helpful tool in seeing what channels our neighbors wifi was on but also in finding an open channel with minimal interference from them to set my router too. In addition to this I was also able to see that my PS4 / PS3 were also broadcasting their own personal wifi for direct connection, contributing to the wifi pollution. Disabling remote play in the PS3 and and unchecking the connect directly to the PS4 in its remote play disables their access point broadcasts and force them to use the local router to connect to your vita/PSP respectfully. Next within my Netgears admin settings, I was able to setup a static IP settings for both my PS4 / PS3 / Vita and other devices as needed but noticed this setup was still not enough and was still having poor quality when playing remote play. It wasn't until i realized there were anywhere from 15-20 devices at any given time trying to access my router at any given time that I needed to setup a priority list. Thankfully with a little research and playing around I was able to navigate to the routers Quality of Service (QoS) settings. Within there I was able to set my PS4 / Vita's MAC address to high Priority and everyone else's to Low. The end effect was like Night and Day. I was finally able to play my games just about anywhere in my home with minimal delay. :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@GrayF0X786 said:

i have absolutely no issues with remote play, i even finished all of Ground Zeroes on one sitting using the vita.

Same. My lady uses it all the time and loves the option.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

then your network is poop, because it works absolutely flawlessly with zero lag for me and many others.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JustPlainLucas

@cyloninside said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

then your network is poop, because it works absolutely flawlessly with zero lag for me and many others.

Thanks, but I already figured out the problem five months ago.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
@maxwellcolumbia said:

We have a netgear router, and one of the first things recommended to me was to download a free app from Google play store to view the local access points in the area and see their overlapping patterns. This was helpful tool in seeing what channels our neighbors wifi was on but also in finding an open channel with minimal interference from them to set my router too. In addition to this I was also able to see that my PS4 / PS3 were also broadcasting their own personal wifi for direct connection, contributing to the wifi pollution.

Disabling remote play in the PS3 and and unchecking the connect directly to the PS4 in its remote play disables their access point broadcasts and force them to use the local router to connect to your vita/PSP respectfully. Next within my Netgears admin settings, I was able to setup a static IP settings for both my PS4 / PS3 / Vita and other devices as needed but noticed this setup was still not enough and was still having poor quality when playing remote play. It wasn't until i realized there were anywhere from 15-20 devices at any given time trying to access my router at any given time that I needed to setup a priority list.

Thankfully with a little research and playing around I was able to navigate to the routers Quality of Service (QoS) settings. Within there I was able to set my PS4 / Vita's MAC address to high Priority and everyone else's to Low. The end effect was like Night and Day. I was finally able to play my games just about anywhere in my home with minimal delay. :)

Thanks. Gonna keep this bookmarked for when I get around to faffing around with all of this later.

ChronoShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChronoShadow
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I use remote r-play to play ps4 from anywhere through the data on my iPhone without plugging my ps4 to the router and I never have any problems.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

Worked great for me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points