PS4 owners only: do you plan on upgrading to a PS4 Pro?

• 73 results
xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

xantufrog  Moderator

Poll PS4 owners only: do you plan on upgrading to a PS4 Pro? (90 votes)

Yes 33%
No 49%
Maybe 18%

The PS4 Pro reveal has come and gone. There has been a lot of furore over it, but the thing that I am really interested in here is what % of our community plans to UPGRADE.

To my mind, the clearest audience for the PS4 Pro is new users - there are 40+ million PS3 owners who have yet to purchase a Sony console from this "generation". In my opinion, many new buyers will go for the Pro, given its competitive pricing.

But what about existing PS4 owners? I think the value of upgrading is less clear, but there ARE some reasons why you might consider it.

For example, if you have a 4K and want to enjoy the superior upscaling over your TV's built in upscaling engine. There will also be a handful of native 4K titles (TLOU, for example).

There are some more ephemeral benefits to 1080p gamers as well - devs have promised to either provide more eye candy, better framerates, or supersampling. It will be a grab bag in terms of what we will see - it will be a dev-by-dev and title-by-title thing. Nevertheless, any of these benefits over the base PS4 might be a selling point.

Still, the PS4 works "fine" and its image quality may only bother a noisy sub-population of gamerdom. The improvement over base PS4 may vary a lot from title to title. So...

If you have a PS4, do you plan on upgrading to a Pro? If so, why?

(note: due to the nature of the topic, an honest, brief, and well-reasoned mention of XBox offerings could be part of your "no" answer - but overtly SW replies will be deleted, per the posting guidelines. So keep it sane folks!)

• 
xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

To lead with my own answer: no. I love gadgets, and if I had tons of disposable income I would probably upgrade for the heck of it... I wouldn't say no to the various potential benefits of the added power. But in my case, I'm not a HEAVY console gamer, and I get what I like out of my PS4 already. Games look good to me, and generally play stable enough. I also do not own a 4K TV, and I have a gaming PC with a comparable GPU (GTX970) and much better CPU (Skylake i5) - so if I feel antsy about texture qualities for a title or framerates then I can turn to my PC instead (unless it's a PS exclusive, of course). In general, I think there's value for me in a Pro, but modest and not worth goofing around with my budget over

DaveTheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DaveTheDragon
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

I will consider buying a PS4 Pro if and only if you are able to upgrade the drive as you can with the original PS4.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xantufrog  Moderator

@davethedragon: this seems quite likely, but I have no idea for certain. There is definitely something that looks like a drive door on the back

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Yes, I will because I want the best possible PlayStation experience available.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Nope !!!!!

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

hi Upgrade? Woot Sony .

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I do own a 4k Tv and I do play games in 4k over my PC ... yet I don't see the point of the Ps4 Pro. The amount of power they added is a joke compared to what I'm used to, so why would I care? So that the exclusives maybe look a bit better? nah. The only way I can see myself getting one is if it is some kind of special edition, like a Persona 5 branded one. The only other thing that could get me if it would have a slot for a 3.5'' HDD, I'm running out of space all the time, my 2TB are full, it's so annoying.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

Maybe and it's a big, fat maybe. I've never been about graphics either way and the fact that this is the exact same thing as the ps4 gives me all the reason to not want it. Same with Scorpio. Saves me money for more important things.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

No, I'm going to continue enjoying my current PS4s. I'm not interested in the midgen upgrade consoles.

I don't like the idea of rebuying upgraded hardware to play the same games.

I'll wait for PS5 (due probably in 2019-2021 based on Sony's Console history).

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Yes. Was gonna grab a slim, but since the Pro has a 1TB HDD I decided to just get that instead. Gonna keep my original PS4 for the bedroom too. With games coming out like FFXV I want a better framerate.

I know I can put a larger HDD in my existing system, but I'd rather not crack it open and since I wanted a second system, the Pro will do nicely even though I'm still gaming in 1080p and am not interested in VR at this time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Nope. I only get to use my PS4 3 months out of the year. By the time I'm home for good the PS5 should be out.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm very happy with my PS4 so no I will not buy the Pro coz I want to save my cash for the Scorpio but i might consider getting the Pro a year or 2 down the line.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Nope, the "better" experience is minor for the set-up I have regarding consoles, and I have no interest in VR.

That Pro money, will be better spent elsewhere.

*I'd only consider buying a Pro, if developers start shafting the original in favor of the Pro. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

No,the ps4 pro and the scorpio are a waste of money.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade somewhere down the road, but not until after I upgrade my TV to a 4K set. Probably somewhere around late summer so I'm not dropping $300-400 too close to NX and Scorpio launches.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I'm not planning on it at the moment. I think upgrading my Xbox One to Scorpio is a better investment than upgrading my PS4 to Pro since it is a bigger leap forward and I play on Xbox more often.

The only circumstance where I can see myself trading in my PS4 for a PS4 Pro is if Sony can convince me to buy a Playstation VR headset, which I don't currently see happening.

smokerob79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 smokerob79
Member since 2016 • 1750 Posts

it depends on what they do with the hardware.....if we really start to see games look better on the new hardware i will sink money in to it after the first year......

Beat128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Beat128
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts

I bought the black ops 3 edition of PS4 console and its not enough of a upgrade actually

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Yes, but not until well into next year. For now I'm happy with my standard PS4 until devs inevitably stop supporting the standard PS4.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

No, if I wanted amazing graphics, I'd play on PC.

anon_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 anon_fire
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

No! Because It would be a waste of money and I don't own a 4k Television.

h--as--h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 h--as--h
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

I am but im not sure about the HDD upgrade. I'm using 3.5 6TB on my PS4 now and its awesome. But I don't know if that will work on PS4 Pro. Can anyone tells me where the HDD will be located inside the system?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xantufrog  Moderator

@h--as--h: @h--as--h: I don't think it's confirmed, but some eagle-eyed noticed in the official images what appears to be the HDD door in the plastic on the rear right hand side. It does look like one to me

h--as--h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 h--as--h
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

@xantufrog: thanks for the info man. The 3.5 will not fit there I guess Nyko need to make a new Data Bank for PS4 Pro and I hope they make it fast.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

@SolidTy said:

No, I'm going to continue enjoying my current PS4s. I'm not interested in the midgen upgrade consoles.

Same here my friend

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@h--as--h: A 3.5" HDD doesn't "sit inside" its on top of the console.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@Zen_Light said:

Yes. Was gonna grab a slim, but since the Pro has a 1TB HDD I decided to just get that instead. Gonna keep my original PS4 for the bedroom too. With games coming out like FFXV I want a better framerate.

I know I can put a larger HDD in my existing system, but I'd rather not crack it open and since I wanted a second system, the Pro will do nicely even though I'm still gaming in 1080p and am not interested in VR at this time.

Crack it open ? you make it sound like it has to be taken apart to get to the hard drive

Avatar image for blazingpanzeriv
BlazingpanzerIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlazingpanzerIV
Member since 2016 • 53 Posts

Well, I may get it once my current PS4 bites the dust but hopefully not for a long time.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@killered3: Its time the tech spec fans and ADHD gamers will learn they are small but loud minority. People can't spend all of their money on video games and collecting systems. Some choose to do that. The average joe with other responsiblies may not. Right now the PS3 is still alive and kicking. Still tons of PS3 games Coolyfett needs to play and get trophies for.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#30 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I think I will. And if I do then I'm going to try to hold off on the probable next-gen Playstation console until 2 years into its cycle. The PS3 felt really aged in its later years, even though games continued to look better on it. I'm hoping with the PS4 Pro that games will continue to look and run very well for the duration the PS4 is supported. I don't care too much about what exactly its 4K capabilities are, but I think there will be benefits from most future games on the Pro compared to the standard.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

@SolidTy said:

This!

Edit: The only thing I'll be buying as far as another console goes is Nintendo NX since it's a true next-gen console anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

It just doesn't make a lot of sense. Never been the biggest fan of 4k gaming (I've always thought the ideal resolution for gaming to get the FPS you need is between 1080p and 1440p). Also, I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that the new PS4 Pro doesn't have 4K Blu-ray support. Sony is the company that put blu-ray on the map so it is just so puzzling that they didn't include this hardware feature. Absolutely love Sony, but they totally dropped the ball on this one. I would buy a PS4 Slim before I buy PS4 Pro...

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#33 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

It isn't worth it to me, my current PS4 is perfectly fine as it is. I feel like it is the same thing between the 3DS and N3DS, hardly any difference.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@davillain- said:
@SolidTy said:

This!

Edit: The only thing I'll be buying as far as another console goes is Nintendo NX since it's a true next-gen console anyway.

Yep, I'm with you there. :)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#35 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@Coco_pierrot: I purely got the New 3DS because I'm a big Monster Hunter gamer, but yes, otherwise that upgrade is nonsensical.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Probably not, a bit turnoff by sony presentation.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I can't really see a reason to buy another PS4 for a slight increase in performance. My current one works fine. If something happens to it and I need to buy a new one I will probably get a Pro over the Slim

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#38  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

I think I will. And if I do then I'm going to try to hold off on the probable next-gen Playstation console until 2 years into its cycle. The PS3 felt really aged in its later years, even though games continued to look better on it. I'm hoping with the PS4 Pro that games will continue to look and run very well for the duration the PS4 is supported. I don't care too much about what exactly its 4K capabilities are, but I think there will be benefits from most future games on the Pro compared to the standard.

Aged compared to what? 360 and Wii U? PS3 graphic still look great.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

I can't decide and I'm looking for help. Do I stand to gain much for buying the Pro if my tv isn't HDR/4k? I'm not going to upgrade tvs for at least a few years.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xantufrog  Moderator

@Chutebox said:

I can't decide and I'm looking for help. Do I stand to gain much for buying the Pro if my tv isn't HDR/4k? I'm not going to upgrade tvs for at least a few years.

I doubt anyone really knows the answer at this time, since it is up to the devs how they will support 1080p gameplay on it.

Benefits you are likely to see:

1) Standard PS4 version on Pro, completely untouched - more stable framerates

2) Standard PS4 version on Pro, unlocked framerates - higher framerates

3) Standard PS4 version optimized in some way for 1080p on Pro - better textures? lighting? supersampling? other AA? denser foliage? more background characters?

It sounds like it will be a grab bag on whether devs go with 1, 2, or 3. And if they go with 3, it will be up to them which of those (or a combination of those) types of things they go with.

Another, more undesirable benefit you might see is devs choosing to optimize for Pro first and then downgrade to PS4. This could, in some cases, result in PS4 versions running worse than they might have otherwise. But that's totally not a guaranteed outcome.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#41 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Coolyfett said:
@SoNin360 said:

Aged compared to what? 360 and Wii U? PS3 graphic still look great.

I will say that the PS3 has aged much better than the PS2 did after the same amount of time. I think what made the PS3 feel outdated to me were the increasingly slow menus. Games did still look good to me on the system before I mostly moved on to the PS4. But going back I do see more noticeable differences. I didn't notice it as much going from PS3 to PS4. But at any rate I'd rather have a PS4 Pro so it doesn't feel quite as outdated some 5 years down the line when I'll still probably be playing PS4 games in spite of a new generation PlayStation console being out by then.

gooch4011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gooch4011
Member since 2016 • 139 Posts

I don't even own a 4K TV yet so I highly doubt it. I think they look great as they are, I do enjoy high def but at some point it becomes a little much. Sadly I feel they are trying to focus too much on High Def experience and not pay enough attention to the story. Whats the point of a 4k game if the story sucks. I'd rather them focus on making games even better than trying to max out 4K.

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

I'll wait for PS5 in hopes that it has a better name

I mean...the console looks sleek but it's name doesn't match

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

Interesting. So as an interim summary: we now have 50 votes. That's... a tolerable sample size (no really, but let's roll with it). At this time, we have 26% planning an upgrade. 20% are maybes. So with ~40 million sold (last report; May 22, 2016) we would estimate 10.4m units to sell in the not-too-distant future to current PS4 owners. If we assume 25% of the maybes come along for the ride (why not, right?) that would amount to an additional 2 million.

So based on the stats and some random numbers-out-of-a-hat, at this point we might anticipate roughly ~12 million PS4 Pro sales in the near future to current PS4 owners alone. I suspect Sony would be happy with that, given that sales to new customers moving forward will likely favor the Pro over base models. It could sell well.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

I can't really see a reason to buy another PS4 for a slight increase in performance. My current one works fine. If something happens to it and I need to buy a new one I will probably get a Pro over the Slim

1.84 to 4.2 teraflops is a slight increase?

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Hm, I have decided I will upgrade to PS4 Pro and the simple reason is better, stronger console where current and future games will operate optimally.

Of course developers will take advantage of the hardware - that's what they have been asking for every time new game is in the works.

I'm also in the market for a 4K monitor and the PS4 Pro will complement it well.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Nope

Pro is optimized for VR, not for improving gameplay.

The basic PS4 system is solid.

(I'm a PC Gamer and skipped the consoles this gen, I have a PS3 which is still viable even.)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

"AMD Polaris architecture GPU is more than twice as fast as the PS4's" I don't see a reason not to - if you have the money to upgrade then you'll possibly get better graphics and / or more fps.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@ZombieKiller7: I'm a PC gamer too, but I have both a PS3 and a PS4 and I think the PS4 is hands down the better console. It looks better, has a much better interface and of course is more powerful. It literally improved on everything that made the PS3 great- the only think I do not like about it is that you can't connect to a Plex Media Server which is a little dumb.

Anyways, a lot of people are being duped by the PS4 Pro and XBox S- they aren't even true 4k machines yet they are being heavily advertised as such. I can't see myself paying over $400 with something that is barely 1440p upscaled to 4K (which is basically what it is). Its true that 4K TVs are cheap now, but we haven't reached that point in technology where 4K is even done smoothly- its always done ok with a harsh hit on FPS. What makes people think that this thing can even do native 4K gaming when 4K GPUs (that don't perform at 4K that great) cost over $600? Makes no sense.