Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 dan_mimmsie
Member since 2014 • 86 Posts

Hi folks need ur ps4 owners advice

4k tv or a 4k monitor? I know ps4 may not support 4k gaming but for future consoles what would be the best tv / monitor? Low ms n input lag

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I honestly wouldn't buy one until you can actually take advantage of the 4k. Prices will only go down and there will be more/better models to choose from. If you really, really want one then look through Amazon to compare reviews and prices. I'd personally go with a TV unless you have some decent speakers to make up for the shitty-ness or lack of built-in monitor speakers.

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts

Coming from a current 4K owner... One, you gotta have a good Home Theater system to take advantage of the super Pretty 4K/4K Upscaled picture cuz video without the audio will just not be fun. Especially since some of these 4K TVs have really bad tv speakers.Second, make sure you have plenty of 1080p content available, Netflix delivers damn good picture along with your standard BluRays.Third, be ready to be in a long wait for real 4K content, there's barely any that exists right now. Though, 1080p content looks damn good as it is right now.

Lastly, if you really want to take full advantage of 4K (if you are a big spender and in it for the long haul), make sure you get a 4K BluRay player and a 4K Receiver or you won't actually get 4K signal, only 1080p. Hope this helps.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Monitors will usually (but not always) have lower input lag, but it seems like an odd question - their size difference and feature difference is so big; they are made for different purposes.

4k monitor is for sitting right smack in front of, with a good separate sound system. 4k tv is for sitting back on a couch and doing TV stuff - which could include console gaming but need not involve consoles at all (and, indeed, right now does not).

I would not buy either right now, for the reason SoNin laid out, but if you do, I think the answer depends on your purpose since they are absolutely made for different ones.

nifty_kangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nifty_kangaroo
Member since 2016 • 23 Posts

I just got a 4k tv. Haven't unboxed it yet. Once I do I will get back on here and let you know how it is and how it works and if there is a delay or anything.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I actually got a big curved 4k Sony Tv a year ago. But I did so because I want to play games in 4k on my Tv. When it comes to the PS4 it hurt more than anything as the device is pretty weak. Sure the Tv does a good job upscaling the image, but when I play something like an Assassins Creed game, the horrible draw distance just makes you realise how weak the system is even more. Getting a 4k Tv for a Ps4 is just useless, sorry.

But if you really want a 4k Tv for gaming, make sure you check how well the reaction time is. Back in Dec 2014 most 4k Tvs had horrible reaction times which would make gaming on them nearly impossible

I also have a little 4k monitor which came pretty cheap. Again, you don't benefit from the PS4, but at least on it it looks much better since it's small.

PSN_M1NAT3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 PSN_M1NAT3K
Member since 2014 • 163 Posts

I have a curved 65" 4K Samsung, and I can't imagine playing on anything smaller -- like a 4k monitor. It's so satisfying to game from the couch on the big screen. Maybe my eyes have gotten used to it, or my TV just kicks ass, but I can't notice any degraded image viewing 1080p PS4 output on my 4K screen.

The only issue I had was with FPS shooters for the first couple of days. My screen was so big at 12 feet that I was having a hard time getting a bead on other players. I got used to it, and evangelize big screen gaming all-the-way.

I also enjoy having people over to have old-school multiplayer on my TV: Boderlands 2, Gauntlet, some zombie game, and hopefully Helldivers next month. I can't imagine doing that on a 4K monitor. So if you're more social, go for the TV.