PS4 Is Missing RPG's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

PS3 was very well known not just for JRPG's but RPG's in general, I want to know where all these have gone, I haven't seen much of them since the launch of the PS4. Anyone agree with me or am i totally in the wrong here?

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Not as many as there was on the PS3 that's for sure, I feel like they will be coming though. Dragon Quest XI is something to look forward to, have you played Bloodborne?

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

There are RPGs and theyre still coming out link

jpcc86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 jpcc86
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts

DQ XI, FFVII, FFXV, Persona 5 are coming and I read somewhere that Ni No Kuni 2 was already in development, not sure if that's entirely true tough. For now you have Bloodborne, Witcher 3, DQ Inquisition and FFXIV online.

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

PSV/PS4 development seems to be a thing in Japan lately, so I guess we can expect more JRPGs on both platforms.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Honestly Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 is everything I could have hoped for... You can also add Dragon Age Inquisition to the list however I personally thought that was nothing more than trash.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

In the first few years of the PS3 there weren't many JRPG's either and then it picked up. The Japanese market always takes a while to pick up.

Persona 5 is out before Christmas :)

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Tales of Zestiria is coming soon on the JRPG front.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoZakuBoy09
Member since 2015 • 141 Posts

yeah hopefully zestiria is good.. I've seen some mixed reviews of it but I'll probably still get it and play it seeing that I enjoyed Abyss, Vesperia, and Graces F. I don't like the character models that much this go round , they look kinda generic-samey for whatever reason as opposed to nice different looking characters from previous tales games.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#10 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Well there is some RPG ... but they are action RPG in openworld ... Japanease RPG will take some times to come by but will eventually. We will have Persona 5 and a new Tales of something ( but I hate Tales of ... ) Then some FF and who knows what.

It took some times on the PS2, PS3 too

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrSpoon

@nozakuboy09: Yeah some of the characters do look a bit meh, but have thought that before so will have to wait and see. Doubt there will be characters nearly as awesome as Milla and Sheena though...

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

PS3 JRPGs??? PS1 is still the reference, PS2 had some, but PS3? Developers decided to stop doing turn based JRPGs introducing some mix of movement and action with menus with spells/skills/items, but it is a different game genre

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@NoirLamia777 said:

Not as many as there was on the PS3 that's for sure, I feel like they will be coming though. Dragon Quest XI is something to look forward to, have you played Bloodborne?

Bloodborne is more of an action game than a RPG, Persona 5 might be the only other upcoming one

Oi_Oi_Spanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oi_Oi_Spanky
Member since 2015 • 301 Posts

It's not very deep but you can't go wrong with Dust: An Elysian Tail. It's worth the price for Fidget's quotes alone.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NoZakuBoy09

I don't think the Ps3 was "very well known" for rpgs .. especially compared to Ps1 and Ps2 , and ESPECIALLY considering the quality of the ps1/ps2 rpgs in general compared to later ps3 and ps4 ones. Off the top of my head the good Ps3 RPGs were :

Mass Effect Series, Tales of games (graces, xillia 1 + 2, symponia chronicles) , Oblivion , Skyrim, Ni no Kuni , Valkyrie Chronicles , Fallout 3 , Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age Origins, South Park Stick of truth.. Can't think of any others besides the obscure ones I don't know much about (ex. artilier series, disgaea series)

Ps1 had the OG classic rpgs like Chrono Cross , FF7, FF9, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Vagarant Story, Final Fantasy Tatics, Breath of Fire 3 + 4 , Star Ocean 1 + 2 , Persona 1 + persona 2s , Tales of Destiny 1 + 2 , Dragon Quest 7 , Suikoden 1 , 2, Lunar Silver Star Story + Eternal Blue , Valkyrie Profile, Alundra (not counting ports of older games like FF6, Chrono Trigger) . PS2 had FF X, Kingdom hearts 1 + 2 , Dragon Quest 8 , Suikoden 5, Persona 3, Persona 4, SMT Nocture + Digitial Devil Sagas , Rogue Galaxy , Dark Cloud 2 , Shadow Hearts Covenant, Tales of the Abyss, Xenosaga Trillogy .

Ps4 so far only has Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3 really, and it's almost been 2 years since its been out D: you're completely right. I don't count Type 0 or X/X-2 Remaster because those games were originally released years ago on older systems. No good JRPG yet. Hopefully we'll be getting some in the future.

I know we'll be getting Tales of Zestiria, Fallout 4, FF XV, Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI , Kingdom Hearts 3, Mass Effect Andromeda , Star Ocean 5, Shenmue 3, but not sure what else beyond those. You could count the FF7 remake I suppose but I still consider that not a new title for Ps4 even if they are revamping and changing a lot. Hopefully we'll get more! For 2015 bud you're best bet is Tales of Zestiria in October, then Fallout 4 when it comes out on November 10th sink your teeth into that one until 2016 lol. If you also haven't played the Witcher 3 then that, Zestiria, and Fallout 4 could keep you busy till next year unless you having nothing but free time to burn... OT but I remember when Skyrim came out on 11/11/11 I was playing that sucker well into christmas break so late december.

SUPPOSEDLY FFXV is going to come out 2016, hopefully along with Persona and Dragon Quest which has its 30th anniversary next year I think.

I'm a bit iffy on whether Zesitiria will be good , I've heard a lot of mixed opinions so I'll probably just get it anyway since if nothing else I freaking love the character skits in every tales game.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DrSpoon

@nozakuboy09: Ni no Kuni was great, had forgotten about that one... will be good to see what the devs are working on as a 'spiritual' if not direct follow up.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

After 2 years I'm pretty sure the PS4 has more RPGs than PS3 did at it's 2 year anniversary. All it really had in late 2008 were Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, Oblivion, and Fallout 3.

Bloodborne
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy Type-0
Omega Quintet
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment
Sword Art Online: Lost Song
Tales of Zestiria
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
The Witcher 3

And next year there is Digimon: Cyber Sleuth, Persona 5(still slight possibility of making this year even), Star Ocean 5, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory 2(again, maybe even this year), Fairy Fencer, maybe Final Fantasy XV and World of Final Fantasy, etc.

@The_Last_Ride said:
@NoirLamia777 said:

Bloodborne is more of an action game than a RPG, Persona 5 might be the only other upcoming one

No, it's not. It has similarities with action games but much of how you play depends on your character build, inventory and such. If Bloodborne is an action game, so are Witcher and Dragon Age 2-3.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NoZakuBoy09

SADLY more doesn't always mean better .. I haven't approached any rpg for Ps4 yet that's really kept me entertained. Hoping Fallout 4 will do just that ...

But then again my opinion isn't a very popular one. I know a lot of people who loved Bloodborne , Witcher 3 , and Dragon Age Inquisition. Just not me though.