dcps210go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By dcps210go
Member since 2009 • 313 Posts

After playing ps4 for a straight week now, I wanted to touch upon it and compare it with its predecessors ps1, ps2&ps3. Ps1 has had mascots such as the famed crash bandicoot whom became an xbox sellout, however it still claimed major sony only labels such as tekken etc, no action adventure exclusive only games to compete with mario, or sonic came around until ps3 it seems. Ps2 was a sports only console, its graphics were a major jump (the biggest generational jump), however imho the worst of the lot in terms of fps games (sony in general never deviated from adventure game genres or its third party supporters were always on top of the bar, ie spyro, crash bandicoot etc). Ps3 came around and had hit franchises such as Infamous, which would be the game to revolutionize game mechanics in 3d platforms (the bionic commando of the next gen series and just as difficult as any 8bit platformer to boot). Its theme took concepts from twisted metal 2, and comic book stylization to create some type of immersion. Ps4 however, after playing bf4 etc was not to much of a leap imho. It felt as if consoles are hitting the end of the line in terms of graphics. It just seemed like a smoothed out version of battlefield with 60 fps. However, the multi-tasking ability and web-browsing does put it to good prospects, the controller seemed less comfortable than the previous consoles. It tried to put in some type of flight sim feel, it actually works too, its better for fps shooters yet not platformers.

Controller and Case designs Vs competition..

Its basically the xbox 360 controller or the industry going a little backwards in terms of feel. They tried to make it feel like a simulator or a fairly akward game keyboard. Which works, because I hated the ps1/2/3 controllers for those games, yet if you are playing a platform be prepared to not press those buttons in a sweat driven panic like you did in your nes days. The controller is good and refined, however its battery pack seems limited with 3 hours of gameplay and its power button non-existent or hard to find. These are knitpicks, they arent really what make the console bad or good, just something to notice. The console however is what is to be expected with next gen gaming, specifically 3d gaming. Just don't expect to be pressing those air combos as easily..we'll wait for an adapter for older controllers. The full integration of keyboard and mouse wants you to maybe have more, like a ps1 controller. The kb/mouse should be used for games, as well as more crossplatform online gaming to centralize the industry, however this too must wait. Noone wants empty servers, and esp games closing there servers 2 or 3 years later (ala mk2, etc). The ps4 however is infact a real product, and after realizing it was upside down, when set on a desktop I managed to then notice its futuristic design, which imho is an A+ for innovation. The graphics are also a leap, but tbh a leap of ps2-ps3 not ps1 to ps2. The games themselves like world of war planes etc are interesting, but not enough to confirm an upgrade from your xbox 360 or ps3. The controller on ps4 and xbox one went backwards imho. The original xbox controller 'S' was correct, the thumbs were both positioned near center of the controller...best 3d controller since playstation even, if not for those tricky useless bottom buttons being akwardly placed away from the main 4 buttons. The controllers have sticks which are spread out and buttons which are too far apart (a few mms can be too far). As for a controller's function, i noticed the right when slower or more sim like (for racing games, tank games) will feel harder to maneuver with longer joysticks or a smaller controller, other games like fps games etc are fine. The vibration isn't a factor, the vibration is like maybe dreamcast quality for xbox360/ps3 so really good in terms of small vibrations to accomodate gameplay (n64&3rd parties was really bad at vibrations basically). The upright position reminiscent of dreamcast, actually made the console's controller suck in that way, also giving it a 'sim-like' feel, yet it worked for arcade games because the buttons were small and close together with a generic d-pad &its surface was flat, hurting the wrist just a little bit for that sacrifice. On ps4 this is not the case if it weren't for the slanted design. Larger controllers however are usually better for sim games then smaller ones eg xbox 360, n64 and dreamcast naturally. The design makes it feel like the buttons are too far apart because the thumb is registered straight (perfect for sims imho). The ps2's first rectangular design was by far the worst, whilst the ps4 design was the most superior, however ps1 will always be the most traditional in terms of conservative appeal leering aware from the tinted black color. To tell you the truth, if the xbox 360 third party makers just shortened their small version of a xbox 360 controller's joystick just a little, it would have been perfect..not only for fighting games but for sims. TBH, this is the best design, a small xbox 360 third party controller with short sticks. You will notice that technology moved ahead in the past few years, one very useful thing on this console is sleep mode, or standby mode saving all of your data at a current time to resume it later. The interface itself, a dashboard or wat not seems to be simple for ps4 (heard xbox 1 was tech savy or more complex this round idk americans seem to like advertisements moreso ie windows xp has commercials on your web browser via international ip addies, app integration or wat not..something idc for or i call spyware actually). Xb-1 has some type of rectangular shape reminiscent of ps2, and i thought it was too large. Unless being a dominate piece of a stereo system setup, one would never place the console alongside a vcr, small monitor or watnot. One would never turn xbone vertically either it seems. If one were to define it as a vertical console, it would be need made silver or white actually. Here we will mention a small qualm with the sony ps4 controller and its predecessors, there is no lithium pin big enough to recharge. Say for instance one recharges a xbox 360 lithium battery pack (using a basic 12 volt battery and 12 volt fan, the fan would recharge into the neg point on the pack, the posi would be to the posi of the 12v battery via a few basic wires and tape). You can completly fully recharge a xbox 360 battery, you can not do this with sony's controllers. So when that certain game with enormous rumble functions come around ala saints row 3's last stage, you can be sure to never have a recharged playstation controller, yet have a recharged wireless xbox 360 controller. However, microsoft always has a handle on the competition in terms of apps and interface, the franchises are usually on par with sony. Sony abandons key western functions, however so...not everyone knows the lithium battery can be recharged via posi and neg pts on a basic 12v battery and fan. Simple and easily found out. Kudos to microsoft on this tech.

The future...

One thing I did notice about microsoft is they are more tech savy, the xbox 360 (haven't review xbone yet) is probably the best access to downloading games I have ever seen, given the ability to dl and install, instead of acting like a computer. The integrated ram also gave it that smooth gameplay feeling, games never slowed down or chopped up persay which was a huge disappointment in ps3. We think xbox one will follow this direction and possibly beat the ps4 in its game like the 360 did, however noone knows as of yet where both are currently tied in sales figures. Ps4 is too alien, like ps3, although simple to use, its webbrowsers and apps freeze, whilst xbox 360 never freezes or experiences technical difficulties. Sony in terms of app and console integration to pc is just behind bill gate's large dump he left 30 years ago. Digital unsigned signatures and open explorer put PC machines at the bottom of the barrel on this one, whilst proving microsoft won't last a few dozen years let alone 1000, being souly built with spyware integration for hackers and third party federal agents. Ever upload a youtube video to have a different video uploaded? Xbone has more user friendly apps and compatibility with those apps, its also faster because it has streaming technology, you may also get voice tech on it. Ps4 is more like a tech thing, it can beat xbone in graphics, but it can even beat PC@a peak of 1.0b pps then say Pc's 720pps or xbone's 770pps. The gov can do anything with computers...anything. Imho if not for printer support, quick key functions, and photoshop i would only use xbox 360. I am using it right now actually because my computer broke again. As for Ps4, a clean integrated interface is just not enough, yet a minor update can easily fix it. Ps4 seems to be for underground or pro gamers, like ps3, xbone is probably for a type of wider audience but that review will have to wait. The ps4 has a large future, but the future might be in a year or 2 in terms of games. Although sorcery is real, it must be temporary, or at least elemental and it cannot happen all the time, or when one wants. Imho if you are a pro gamer who wants to conform or become more conservative go for the ps4, if you are a gamer who wants to play games...don't upgrade or trade. However with games like Infamous second son appearing, its def worth considering. Until we review an xb-one, I'm out. For now, Ps4 is an elitist console...made only for elitists.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

I dunno, how much do you want to play Infamous Second Son?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

What a pointless rant... as far as REALITY is concerned BF4 on X1/PS4 IS a massive upgrade considering its graphics and doubled player size and larger maps.

It took the PS3 a year and a half of a dry spell before it got "good games like infamous".

and I don't think you understand what an "Elitist" is....

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't know what you're babbling on about, but the PS4 will be worth it in the long run. But I don't feel like I'm missing out on much by not owning one now, aside from inFamous: Second Son. So while I can't wait to grab one, I'm content with playing my PS3 and Vita for the time being.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I don't understand the point of this thread. You're comparing apples to oranges. Technology has come a long way since the PS1 days and the market and gaming consoles in general are much different than they were 15 years ago. The PS4 launched 6 months ago. There's no way you can sit here and pick apart a system this early in the game.

Heck, look at Xbox 360. When Xbox 360 first released its launch games like Perfect Dark were eons behind the games of today in terms of graphics and gameplay. But at that time it was still an improvement over the original Xbox games. So, give it another year when PS4 starts really utilizing the system's capabilities and then see where you stand. Until then, your predictions hold no weight.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

If you cannot find games on the console, then you are not looking hard enough. Games come out every week on the system. The software library is quite strong for only being out 6 months.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Is PS4 worth it now? probably not. You're better off waiting at least a year from now when more games will be out and maybe a price drop on the system. Don't get me wrong I have a PS4 and love it but you're not missing out on much by waiting.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Is PS4 worth it now? probably not. You're better off waiting at least a year from now when more games will be out and maybe a price drop on the system. Don't get me wrong I have a PS4 and love it but you're not missing out on much by waiting.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

The PS4 is a great console for gaming. This is a lame topic\thread

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

Throwing around terms like, "pro gamer," and "conform," and "Elitist" and "conservative" just because of the popularity(in sales) of the PS4 is downright hysterical. I'm not quite sure you're focusing/articulating your disappointment in its success properly. Trying to paint the PS4 as a platform for pretentious sheep has backfired as your rant only served to illustrate how pretentious and bitter you seem to be over the good start the PS4 has gotten off too.

We can argue all day whether there are any games to play on the system. Most get the angle on that argument wrong as they start with the term "good games," or "worth while games," and this is a subjective-value argument. For a six month old console I say there are plenty of games to play on the PS4. Now if you want to argue that there aren't enough platform specific/exclusive games on the PS4 then YES, you're correct. The impatience of most of the gamers out there is staggeringly large. Give the library time to grow for goodness' sake.

In my personal opinion, the only reason the PS4 seems barren is because the PS3 remains viable. The fact that Sony didn't just abandon the PS3 and continued to publish decent games for it makes the PS4 seem like a luxury or something to hold off buying(and that's fine). But these whiners who post threads like, "the PS4 has no games, " or " My PS4's collecting dust," are the ones needlessly stirring the pot. Make a purchase, stand by it and give it time to grow OR take a step back and wait until there is enough of a library for your tastes.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i buy ps4 tomorrow the answer its yes for me

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Just as others have said, it might not be worth it now for "SOME", but it will eventually become a must have system!

lewishim666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lewishim666
Member since 2006 • 118 Posts

Yes the Ps4 is worth it. The graphics are comparable but not quite as good as PC graphics. If you don't have a gaming PC then yes the Ps4 is worth it. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the competition and is certainly better then the last gen systems. There is certainly no dearth of content. There are 50+ games available right now on the Playstation Store. For anyone with a job or school/college that is more then enough because they likely can't play for a "straight week" like you. I don't believe you've even played 1/36th of the games available. So what exactly would you know? All the pretty graphical effects are there that you can't get on last gen systems. Volumetric lighting, smoke, and fog, HBAO, parallax mapping, Physx based physics, and tessellation to name a few. The textures are way higher resolution. The normal maps are was higher resolution. All of the models have very high polygon counts. The games are 1080p and 60fps(for the most part). What more do you want exactly?

Let me preface this by saying this is only my opinion and by no means a personal attack towards you. Wow you played Ps4 for a week straight? You didn't eat, sleep, work, or go to school this whole time. It sounds like you got butthurt somewhere along the line judging by this post though. If you played for a week straight then you've surely burned through a lot of games so of course you won't have anything to play and will be asking stupid questions on forums instead of playing games. You sound like the typical gamer with ADHD. So you might want to rethink things before you make another post. This post made my brain hurt for many different reasons. First and foremost it seems like it was written by someone with a lack of cranial horsepower that wants to sound smart but comes fairly short of that goal and ends up sounding somewhere between a second grader and a middle schooler. Your all over the place in this and you seem like you may have been focusing on more then one thing while writing it. So I found it very hard to take you seriously and I wish I could take the time I just spent reading it back.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@dcps210go: I would say wait until Driveclub comes out as there is nothing to play right now. Mine is back in the box shortly after playing BF4, Killzone, COD, and Need for Speed. I bought my PS4 at launch thinking Driveclub was soon to follow. Very disappointed because there was nothing to play. Killzone was pretty good considering it was a launch title but the gameplay was average. Although Watchdogs is coming out this month so having a PS4 will be worth it if you don't have a PC. By the holidays this year PS4 will be the system to have for sure. On another note PS4 is the better of the latest consoles overall.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@dcps210go: I would say wait until Driveclub comes out as there is nothing to play right now. Mine is back in the box shortly after playing BF4, Killzone, COD, and Need for Speed. I bought my PS4 at launch thinking Driveclub was soon to follow. Very disappointed because there was nothing to play. Killzone was pretty good considering it was a launch title but the gameplay was average. Although Watchdogs is coming out this month so having a PS4 will be worth it if you don't have a PC. By the holidays this year PS4 will be the system to have for sure. On another note PS4 is the better of the latest consoles overall.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Playstation 4 is for Elitists? I never thought of myself like that. But never the less the PS4 is really worth buying. Wait for your favorite game franchise if you must. But PS4 is worth the $400.00 asking price.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Playstation 4 is for Elitists? I never thought of myself like that. But never the less the PS4 is really worth buying. Wait for your favorite game franchise if you must. But PS4 is worth the $400.00 asking price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

The only video game I want at this current time is Child of Light and I am only willing to get it on PS4, so with that I do not feel the PS4 is worth it at this time as there is only one video game I want.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

course it's worth it, it means now that I have paid for a console, i have time to save up and once the games start rolling in, i'll have enough money to buy each one i want and play through it with enough time before the next big hit comes out, it's great saying there's no games for it, what you mean is, there is no games out which interest you because reality is, there are alot of games for it, also my plan works well because if i waited for a load of games to come out i'd be swamped with a huge cost on a console games on top and then i'll start getting a huge back log which i really don't want this gen, i haven't got time to venture through back logged games these days.

grand17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 grand17
Member since 2007 • 2079 Posts

PS4 is a downgrade from ps3. One day it may be a worth while console but it will never be an all in one entertainment system like ps3 is.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Yes, the PS4 is worth it.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Why is this thread still open? :D

I think the general consensus is that the PS4 is worth it, maybe not now, but in the long run.

ivangeorgiev25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ivangeorgiev25
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Personally, I'm glad I bought my PS4 at launch (considering the price went up $50 not too long ago), but I do admit if you don't have one at the moment you're probably better off waiting until at least later this year when more titles start coming out for it.

There hasn't really been anything groundbreaking for PS4 yet, and Infamous SS is a pretty short game..

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

i think itll be worth it eventually. right now my ps4 is mostly just a netflix box but im sure good games are coming

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Dude, it's only $400. It's not like investing in an old car hobby or anything like that where it would cost at least that much just for a new ring and pinion or something. If you want a cheap hobby, buy a goldfish.

toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

@grand17 said:

PS4 is a downgrade from ps3. One day it may be a worth while console but it will never be an all in one entertainment system like ps3 is.

Hmm.. Did you buy the PS4 for gaming or for "all in one entertainment"?

NeverMore0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NeverMore0
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts

PS4 won't be worth it to me until I can play my digital files on it.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

@NeverMore0:

if you have a ps3, use it therefore as well, if you don't just do whatever you were doing until now... ps4 is the best gaming console available now, unfortunately it does not have the same "media center" capabilities of the ps3 as of now...

crewe8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By crewe8
Member since 2008 • 703 Posts

This is a choice of preference, if you like bf4 & FIFA ( plus all your friends have got one ) then yes, as for me it's for online with my mates.. If not then I would wait for a year or so, as most titles are on the ps3, and there are a serious lack of games for ps4.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@mdk12345 said:

@bezza2011 said:

course it's worth it, it means now that I have paid for a console, i have time to save up and once the games start rolling in, i'll have enough money to buy each one i want and play through it with enough time before the next big hit comes out, it's great saying there's no games for it, what you mean is, there is no games out which interest you because reality is, there are alot of games for it, also my plan works well because if i waited for a load of games to come out i'd be swamped with a huge cost on a console games on top and then i'll start getting a huge back log which i really don't want this gen, i haven't got time to venture through back logged games these days.

I'm not sure I follow you. PS3 has a lot of games, but you can get much more than one game if you spend 60 bucks, especially on the buy 2 get one free days. The way I see it is backlog games are still the same games they always were. I can't keep up with all the new games. I think I better wait.

Well basiclly I've paid for my console I've bought some games I want now, because it's a system launch the games are slow coming out, meaning I have the latest game there is that I want, I now have a week or so before Watchdogs comes out, I've had enough time to save since Infamous to buy Watchdogs and after that, I have time to save up and wait for the next big game i want, so now that i am on this journey, I have time to save and buy the games I want, enough time to play and complete them, and in theory I will never have a back catalog of games I need to complete because I organized myself, If say I waited until next christmas to buy a PS4, I'd have so many games I'd need to get and buy and play, that it would be a rush and by the time I'd got threw a few of them the next game i'd want would be out creating this massive backlog alot of gamers come up against, I don't see a reason why I should wait and cause a huge hole in my bank account in one go, when I can steadily save and buy throughout, making buying stuff a little easier on my bank account,

Cupcakegirl53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cupcakegirl53
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

It's best to buy any console what games best for you and what games you really likes

For me PS4 there not many games I like but my family share this console and they chose to play games they really likes

No we do not argue over whose play first

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Is the PS4 worth it? YES!

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I think it's important that everyone does a bit of research, whenever they put down 4-500$ on a system. I 'd say a majority of the people buying it, know what to expect. I think the original post, their expectations were not meant, but that is mostly due to lack to research beforehand. It's not like the PS4 was claiming things, and didn't deliver.

With that being said, people choose a system that fits their needs the best. I want a PS4 too, but right now, there's only one game for me, and i'm not the type of person that wants to pay 30-60$ per game on a new console. I'm also not one of those guys that needs fogging, special maps. I'm perfectly content with PS3, if they were to continue with that system. So i plan to wait a year or two and hope for a price drop.

What i did do, I found a system that fit my needs a little better at the moment. One with backwards compatibility, and i can use my old equipment. One that cost almost 1/2 the price of the competition, with more affordable games too. They've got a nice lineup of games right now, and are giving me a break, from some of the more mature/shooting/killing games on the other systems.

With that being said, once Arkham Knight/ Uncharted 4, new God of War come out, i'll be back on PS4 mode.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@dcps210go: wow.....

Firstly, graphics still has a long way to go.... New techniques are created every now and then and some are being implemented in new SDK that might get released in a few months time... For example Real Time Raytracing.... Isn't really new but it hasn't seen it's ultimate form realized... Photo Realism by using light....

It's not smart to make these statements.... While BF4 is a multigenerational game. Running Frostbite on both old gen and new gen..... What do you expect ?!

Of course the jump from Ps1 to Ps2 was big because they didnt really support the ps1 after the ps2 release. One word.. "money".

Nowadays they still support the ps3 and xbox 360... So multiplatform games that are also cross gen won't look as good as you would want it to be.

We are barely a year in.... Just be patient. Otherwise you are going to look stupid on the internet.

forkandplate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By forkandplate
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Not for me. NOt until it has more games