PS4 backwards compatibility petition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
I remember reading that backwards compaitibilty will not be included in the PS4. This is an outrage. The big question is why? Why can't they just incorporate it? I'm no expert but by now they should be capable of adding the feature without harming the system in any way. I already payed for the game so why not let me play it on your new console? If you also want the feature say yes in the poll and state your opinion.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
They are ditching the cell architecture.. I say no way in hell we get ps3 bc. It sucks, but I guess I'll be hanging onto my ps3.
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

This will not happen for the very reason BC was removed from the PS3. It's a lot more profitable for those greedy corporate pigs to sell last generations tech to those who want it rather than to give it away to all for free.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

this petition is pointless because everything that has been said about the ps4 is nothing but a RUMOR and sony has never even confirmed the ps4

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

this petition is pointless because everything that has been said about the ps4 is nothing but a RUMOR and sony has never even confirmed the ps4

barry000
And no one is making you give away or sell your PS3 when the PS4 arrives. People have gotten very spoiled by the BC that there has been in the last ten years.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
petitions for crap like this mean nothing. Just keep your ps3 to play ps3 games
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i dont get it, so what if it dont have it? i mean seriously when i bought a ps3 even though i have the original 60gb ps3 thats still alive. i have only used the BC on my system the first year and half of the system launching thats cuz there were barely games. you guys can always keep ur ps3 and use that if u ever decide to play anny ps3 games. i do understand its more convenience to have one system that plays the previous gen games as well. but then again like i said if u buying a ps4 make sure its for ps4 games. it would be sweet though to have BC, but i dont think it will happen
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
YES
DevilMayCry135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DevilMayCry135
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

ps4 Hardware Specifications?

CPU The Cell BEXprocessor,16core128co-processor22 nmprocess,clocked at3.2GHz.

GPU NVIDIAcustomizethe QuantumLeapGPUsclocked at2GHz,the corearchitecturebased ontwoGK104Keplerthe10GBGDDR6memory

RAM 10GB XDR2

Can runPS1toPS4all games

2D graphicto force2160p,3Dgraphicto force1080p

DevilMayCry135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DevilMayCry135
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
because the game company want sale HD collection game like dmc HD,resident evil HD
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Since ditching the Cell processor, B/C for the Playstation 4 would be software emulation only? I cannot see Sony including the actual PS3 cell chip in the PS4. Given that the EE chip was expensive to include in the PS3 back in 2006. So there is no way Sony will include the PS3 cell processor in the PS4.

Sony could make 2 SKUs for the Playstation 4 in 2014. A traditional PS4 with just PS4 playback. An a limited edition deluxe launch PS4 with complete PS3, PS2, PS1 and SD/MircoSD/CF/Memory stick/Memory stick Pro duo/Memory Stickmicro. Your additional HMDI ports/USB ports

Make 3 million of this "Delux Portis" Playstation 4. And Sony should just state this is the last time ever for B/C Playstation consoles. So those who want one buy one now. before Sony begins taking featueres away from PS4.

I would buy one even though it would cost $699.99 compared to the standard $400.00 PS4.

But Sony has stated that There will no be PS3 B/C for the PS4. So there wouldn't be a last chance B/C enable PS4 console.

Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
It will never happen. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal anyways. PS2s are dirt cheap, and PS3s will be too when the next gen launches. If they were to include BC with every system you'd simply be paying the difference on the price of the new system. Which would be dumb since most people will rarely/never use backwards compatibility once a new system launches anyways, but they'd still be paying for old hardware (or Sony would take a bigger hit on each console which they can't afford) A better solution would be to have some sort of way to have each game come with a voucher (similar to online pass I suppose) that lets you download the game from PSN for free. Because ultimately I can't play PS2 games on my PS3, but I can download PS2 games from the store that I already own. Paying for them twice is ridiculous.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Of course I'd like it to happen, but I doubt it will. It would probably cut the cost of the PS4 if it didn't have BC anyway, so I can live with keeping my PS3 and not spending more for a PS4 for it to have BC.
danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

Why are you asking this in gamespot forums , shoud'nt that be like an email to sony or whatsoever?

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
I really wouldn't bet on it...
Avatar image for MonteCarloLS910
MonteCarloLS910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonteCarloLS910
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

PS3 BC I hope not. I plan to hold onto my PS3, but I hope they add PS2 BC instead.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#17 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

When I get a PS4, I probably won't play my PS3 games again. Just like when I got a PS3, I never went back to any PS2 games.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

When I get a PS4, I probably won't play my PS3 games again. Just like when I got a PS3, I never went back to any PS2 games.

Venom_Raptor

exactly. as much as i loved my ps2, which i still own and have about 148 games for it as well. after 2007 i really never went back to it. not cuz i wasnt into them, but i just wanted more ps3 games cuz i got a ps3 for ps3 games lol u know. and although i still like most games from previous gen than most of the ones released this gen. i still didnt go back to them cuz i played em enough times. thats why kids u shouldnt trade/sell your last gen systems. i kept all of mine all the way back from atari 2600 :D

Speakofawe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Speakofawe
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I feel that gamers WANT all the new stuff AND all the old stuff. It seems the argument FOR not having backwards compatibility is that Sony would lose money? I think it's the EXACT opposite. Not only would Sony be differentiating themselves from competition, but most gamers DO want the most cutting age stuff - they do want to play the newest stuff and WOULD give Sony their money to do it. WHY NOT make it backwards compatible too, and they can make even more money from all the hard work they have put into their products over the years as well?! MAXIMIZE profit venues. I feel like making a system EXCLUSIVE to PS4 games/dwnlds... they really would be doing themselves a disservice AND the gamers. Backwards compatibility is rarely ever (if ever) a bad idea.
Speakofawe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Speakofawe
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Also, derp: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/251/349/981/make-plastation-4-backwards-compatible/ should this be worth petitioning. (It may not be). I get why Sony wouldn't do it - I just feel like we'd give them our money anyway - and they wouldn't be losing out on anything - we would be though.
WhiteStormy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WhiteStormy
Member since 2007 • 243 Posts

No one's forcing you to get rid of your current console.  Stop being a whinney entitled brat.

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

It wont happen because the PS3 used the cell and this uses much different arhitecture. So keep your PS3's and play games on there and look forward to the futue of PS4.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

My god people...is it that big of a deal to keep your old consoles? The emulation on the next console is never as good as it's intended console anways so who cares?

Adding BC will just add to the cost and for people like me who will just keep their PS3 to play PS3 games don't want to pay extra for something we aren't going to use

just let it go

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Well first you've got everyone complaining about how much the system will cost when we don't even know anything yet. If you want BC, it's going to cost even more, and I think it would slow down the capabilities of the PS4 to have it so that it's running 2 separate platforms. Keep your PS3 if you want to play PS3 games. I just wish that they had some proof of purchase system in place so that you can prove you bought the game last gen, and then they would let you stream it for free on PS4.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

No I don't want it due to conflictions concerning hardware

I have my PS3 to play PS3 games

I'll buy a PS4 to play PS4 games

Necro thread ;_;

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Also, derp: Speakofawe
You revived a dead thread dude. 

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#27 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

On the possibility of bringing PS3 titles to PS4

It's an interesting concept. We've been upgrading PS2 games to PS3 with better resolution and better frame rate. And people love it. So I think at some point it makes sense and it's great for developers to be able to develop some things that they missed or couldn't get working properly on the older hardware because of the performance to be able to make it better for newer hardware. So we are open to look at that.Shuhei Yoshida

Why would they add the function when they can just give us Super HD collections next gen? Even if it were technically possible with the switch in architecture?

-

Rules of Acquisition

#12. Anything worth selling is worth selling twice.

Damn it, really need to check the OP for dates. Have been so good lately with that.