PS4 "4.5" what would make you want to buy???

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

swantn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 swantn5
Member since 2011 • 546 Posts

for me its the ability to put in a 3.5 harddrive which means alot more storage room with gaming now a days(i know i sound like a old man) with all the updates and day 1 patches also system updates as well i dont see even a 2tb hard drive lasting that long so a 3.5 hard drive would go a long way

so what would be a selling point if sony does a PS4 "4.5"

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

External storage support ain´t gonna happen.

Nothing would make me purchase a 4.5 PoS4.

Avatar image for terminalyinsane
TerminalyInsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 TerminalyInsane
Member since 2016 • 99 Posts

5 ghz wifi support

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#4 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Money falling out of my as/s would make me want to buy it.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

If it really can improve the visuals and performance of current and future games, then I might consider replacing my PS4 with one. If it just plays blu-rays in 4K and doesn't really impact games, then I'll leave it alone. I don't want the thing to exist in the first place, but it would be very tempting for me to go ahead and upgrade if there are significant benefits. I have a 1440p monitor so it would be cool to actually run my PS4 games in that resolution, but I doubt even an upgraded version of the console would be able to handle that resolution well, if at all.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

90% of PC's cant even do 4k gaming, let alone a $500 console, it will do 4k bluray at best.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

If the PS4 4.5 is overall a decent jump in hardware department and there is a trade-in offer to trade in my current PS4 towards it, I might consider it. Otherwise, I'm happy with my current console.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

If they patch previous games to add 60fps support I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@swantn5: Actually I would have a selling point and it doesn't involve graphics.

A 4 terabyte hard drive, a convenient controller with no speaker, lights and have longer battery life, backwards PS3 compatibility(ps2 if possible too) and a smaller touchpad interface because I am sick of accidentally pressing it during gameplay.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm hoping they have an add on capability to existing PS4 systems. If it's a whole new box, I probably won't buy.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

If they patch previous games to add 60fps support I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

This, also wouldn't mind SATA-3 support, dont really care about 4k blue-ray or being able to upscale to 4k(4k tv's already do this)

@Telekill said:

I'm hoping they have an add on capability to existing PS4 systems. If it's a whole new box, I probably won't buy.

There are no ports with enough bandwidth for performance upgrade, it'll be a new box

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I bet it hasn't got a disc drive like they wanted with these consoles until every one booed them. But I guess they will not listen this time and get rid of it totally for digital downloads and charge threw nose for it as well.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Telekill

@howmakewood: Then I'm sitting out until my current PS4 bricks or PS5 comes out.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Backwards compatibility with PS3,2 and 1.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

A free upgrade/replacement for my current PS4 and nothing less. I don't like the idea of double-dipping for an entire console just to be able to play the best version of that game for that same console. Double-dipping for movies or games is one thing, and that's bad enough, but double-dipping for an entire game system? It sets a bad precedent. Either release the PS5 early or stick with the PS4 until it actually lives out its service life. This is the same crap that Sega used to pull on its customers back in the 1990s. I'm happy with both my PS4 & X1. I want to see both Sony & M$ devote all their energies to ensure these systems fulfill their still untapped potential before exploring the possibility of producing a "hardware solution" to a problem that doesn't even exist.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm not interested in the rumored PS4K. I don't see a purchase for me, if the rumors are true.

@raugutcon said:

External storage support ain´t gonna happen.

Nothing would make me purchase a 4.5 PoS4.

Internal support is my biggest pet peeve. Without it, I have to attach ugly USB dangling HDDs out in the open, hogging very limited USB slots. I prefer a tidy, more aesthetic look to my machines from laptops to consoles, which is why it's a bit annoying to see machines that don't support internal HDD swaps.

----

As that was answered, I also have something else I've considered.

Etymology is a really fascinating to me. I ask humbly, why is only the PS products a POS to you? You don't refer to your Xboxes and Nintendo machines with such animosity. You even got the Xbone after the PS4, but you did say the 360 is your fave machine. Is it a fanboy thing or is it something that runs deeper? You have been doing it since you first joined here over a year ago in 2014, and the super old, dead-horse beaten acronym PoS doesn't catch on despite your efforts. I also have gathered that you may not realize how it appears to native English speakers, especially to those with some gaming history under their belt. All of this got me thinking as you are the only user using such decrepit and tired language (the acronym) for a newer product on the products actual board surrounded by fans of that board, a console that has has the most games compared to the other two consoles on the market (last check 1000 games on the PS4 and growing).

To be clear, as you must not know, the POS acronym is very, very ancient phrase that is long fatigued and gray. It's not actually a new and edgy acronym, it's a figurative fossil you'd likely see in a digital museum in 1st world countries. You must be unaware, it's from the late-1990s to describe the original PS (PoS hur hur by Saturn, Dreamcast, and N64 fans), and made popular with the anti-PS2 fanboys the following gen, especially Xbox OG fans of yesteryear calling the PS2 a POS2 in 2000-2004. It's odd looking at the anti PS2 crowd now considering how mighty the PS2 legend is today. PS2 went on to be a massive success. Perhaps usage by a single user of such a stale and unoriginal acronym that's a sign of success, then?

With all due respect, I suppose though in up and coming 3rd world level countries, maybe the overworked, empty, senior citizen styled 'PoS' acronym just caught on (and seems clever and new) to other 3rd world country gaming fanboys in 2016, especially to those that are not native English speakers. I know fashion, TV, and sometimes music gets around the world really late too discovered in my world travels. Perhaps where you are from the poorly aged acronym is newer and original, even if the POS acronym is actually played out from many years ago?

The words and choices people use sometimes speak more to a culture and background than one might think...or not, which is why this was a question with commentary. The question again is what compels you to use the decades old acronym on this PS board, and in general, to describe the newer machine that doesn't suffer the problems the original PS and PS2 had? Is it to get a rise out of fans of this board in hopes they become annoyed? You may have noticed that geriatric phrase hasn't worked thus far since 2014 (when you joined GS), but you may not have known why...it's because your chosen phrase was overused years ago. My interest is the etymology, I find it curious and intriguing after these many months of your posting about this machine/or it's fans that you seem to dislike. Unfortunately, the old-timey phrase usage is a bit like a cute rabbit trying to attack a ferocious lion, which has me thinking the behavior I've noticed for months is a form of culture shock as your antagonistic intent isn't having the intended effect.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Telekill

I'm not planning on buying, even with the new specs. The rumors are stating that Sony doesn't want to split its consumer base and that PS4 and PS4K games will be one in the same disc.

As I don't own a 4KTV, and won't until at least PS5 is out, there is zero reason for me to upgrade.

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

If they include 4ktv I'll buy.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Telekill said:

@howmakewood: Then I'm sitting out until my current PS4 bricks or PS5 comes out.

same here just bought a ps4 last November and I'm not in any hurry to replace it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

The fact that it supports 4k is enough. I have a 4K TV and the PS4K would be the best device I could use alongside it for general media usage (Netflix 4K, 4K Blu-Rays etc.)

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I would like a 3TB HDD or at least a 2TB HDD for PlayStation 4 NEO or PS4 4.5. The current 500GB HDD should have been replaced in all PS4 models by a 1TB HDD by now. Sony will never allow external HDD support so a least increase the stock HDD size. OR provide official HDD upgrade kits for the PS4 and PS4 NEO when it launches this October/November 2016.

If it is even possible to make the PlayStation 4.5 or PS4 Neo smaller by having a solid state HDD instead of the traditional ones that PS4 consoles have now. Then the PS4.5 or PlayStation Neo would be continue the Slim line tradition of Sony consoles. The original PlayStation, PS2, PS3, PSP and even the PSvita have all had Slim versions released during their lifespans. So PlayStation 4.5 or PS NEO could be made even more "Slim" by having a Solid State HDD included. Which would also help with game load/install times etc.

So hear is hoping Sony will make PlayStation 4 Neo even smaller and more sleek than the current PlayStation 4 console. Plus I really want a larger HDD included out of the box 3TB or at the very least 2TB. Sony hopefully will do this?

PlayStation 4 NEO is a day one purchase for me. But Sony should do something to make PS4.5 stand out and renew the PS4 image

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#23 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

If it really can improve the visuals and performance of current and future games, then I might consider replacing my PS4 with one. If it just plays blu-rays in 4K and doesn't really impact games, then I'll leave it alone. I don't want the thing to exist in the first place, but it would be very tempting for me to go ahead and upgrade if there are significant benefits. I have a 1440p monitor so it would be cool to actually run my PS4 games in that resolution, but I doubt even an upgraded version of the console would be able to handle that resolution well, if at all.

This

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GTR12

@Megavideogamer said:

I would like a 3TB HDD or at least a 2TB HDD for PlayStation 4 NEO or PS4 4.5. The current 500GB HDD should have been replaced in all PS4 models by a 1TB HDD by now. Sony will never allow external HDD support so a least increase the stock HDD size. OR provide official HDD upgrade kits for the PS4 and PS4 NEO when it launches this October/November 2016.

If it is even possible to make the PlayStation 4.5 or PS4 Neo smaller by having a solid state HDD instead of the traditional ones that PS4 consoles have now. Then the PS4.5 or PlayStation Neo would be continue the Slim line tradition of Sony consoles. The original PlayStation, PS2, PS3, PSP and even the PSvita have all had Slim versions released during their lifespans. So PlayStation 4.5 or PS NEO could be made even more "Slim" by having a Solid State HDD included. Which would also help with game load/install times etc.

So hear is hoping Sony will make PlayStation 4 Neo even smaller and more sleek than the current PlayStation 4 console. Plus I really want a larger HDD included out of the box 3TB or at the very least 2TB. Sony hopefully will do this?

PlayStation 4 NEO is a day one purchase for me. But Sony should do something to make PS4.5 stand out and renew the PS4 image

Some of us aren't 80yrs old and we can change the HDD's of our PS4's. We don't want another $100 shitty "official" upgrade kit. Buy a 2.5" SSD/HDD from Amazon, search on YouTube how to insert it, and your done.

Oh wait... 80yr olds can follow the steps, its the 10yr olds that cant because they are too lazy to watch a video, download the firmware and know how to use a screwdriver.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

I SWEAR TO EFFING ZEUS' BEARD:

If there's even a waver in games proclaiming to be 60FPS on PS4K I will show up at SCE's door so I can give them my middle finger. My biggest gripe is that SONY didn't make 1080p/60FPS mandatory at the start of PS4's life. It should have always been. There's no longer ANY excuses now that PS4K exists. Developers can suck a lemon. Stop dicking around.

ocphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ocphon
Member since 2006 • 184 Posts

1080p @ 60fps

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Nothing.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3054 Posts

@SoAmazingBaby said:

Nothing.

This

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@GTR12: I just don't get all of this 4K hype. Gaming isn't even ideal at 4k resolution because you take a massive FPS hit. I think it's more for bragging rights right now with people who have two graphics cards.

Anyways the PS4 Neo, 4.5 or whatever you call it sounds like a ripoff- pay hundreds of dollars just to have "some" games play at a higher resolution? Plus I would have to buy a new TV so that's going to be a few grand that I would have to shell out. The only way I would ever buy this supposed new PS4 is if it was reverse compatible with PS3 games, came with a 1TB SSD, and did my laundry for me. (Okay maybe just one of those)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GTR12

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@GTR12: I just don't get all of this 4K hype. Gaming isn't even ideal at 4k resolution because you take a massive FPS hit. I think it's more for bragging rights right now with people who have two graphics cards.

Anyways the PS4 Neo, 4.5 or whatever you call it sounds like a ripoff- pay hundreds of dollars just to have "some" games play at a higher resolution? Plus I would have to buy a new TV so that's going to be a few grand that I would have to shell out. The only way I would ever buy this supposed new PS4 is if it was reverse compatible with PS3 games, came with a 1TB SSD, and did my laundry for me. (Okay maybe just one of those)

It cant do 4k, at $500 or even $600 USD console that's not feasible to have a GPU strong enough for 4k games (Playing pong at 4k doesn't count).

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

Solid Anti-Aliasing and 1080p across all games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@soethi6: It is already 1080p across all games since that is the new standard for this generation. GTR12 is right though, its going to cost minimum $600 and then you will have to by a 4K TV in addition to that. It just isn't worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Ps4 trade-in offer. Psx and ps2 disc playback. Full ps3 peripheral compatibility. With ps4 trade in, new model costs you $100, or if sony drops online psn fee.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GTR12

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@soethi6: It is already 1080p across all games since that is the new standard for this generation. GTR12 is right though, its going to cost minimum $600 and then you will have to by a 4K TV in addition to that. It just isn't worth it.

Minimum $600 for GPU...

Then add in CPU, RAM, HDD and other manufacturing costs and you get a $1000 USD console, that wont sell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@GTR12: I mean its just a rumor anyways right? If they Sony actually made a 4k console that would be such a dumb business strategy.

A) Gaming at 4K isn't even ideal because of the FPS drop (usually can't go above 30 FPS- and isn't that why consoles get all the hate in the first place?)

B) It will cost too much money- unless they give people a great deal who already own a PS4.

I just don't see it happening- 1080p looks great and its cheap. I really have no complaints with how games look on my PS4 currently. 4K isn't practical by any means...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GTR12

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@GTR12: I mean its just a rumor anyways right? If they Sony actually made a 4k console that would be such a dumb business strategy.

A) Gaming at 4K isn't even ideal because of the FPS drop (usually can't go above 30 FPS- and isn't that why consoles get all the hate in the first place?)

B) It will cost too much money- unless they give people a great deal who already own a PS4.

I just don't see it happening- 1080p looks great and its cheap. I really have no complaints with how games look on my PS4 currently. 4K isn't practical by any means...

Its not a rumour at this stage, gaming websites and a number of developers and publishers have talked about it, so it looks to be true.

They might call it a 4k console, but in reality it will probably only do 4k BD movie playback at best.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Run all my PC games on it.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

I really don't know how this product is going to work, but so far from all the rumors i can tell it's going to be one of the biggest mistakes and one of the most stupid ideas Sony ever thought about. the hardware is riddle, the timing is awful, current console sales are great, i don't think anyone is happy about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@GTR12: Yeah there is no way they would be able to have a PS4 that plays games in 4k that is under $1000. My current graphics card on my PC is able to handle 4K, however, by itself it was around $350.

I think you are 100% right with it only having 4K video playback. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Blu rays (has to be a newer blu ray) will be in 4k.

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

@Telekill: And that is THE reason I won't buy a PS4.5. If I had a 4k tv my thoughts may be a bit different. However, I'd honestly see myself passing on the PS4.5 even if I had a 4k tv. Simply wrong for a company to double dip.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

My PS4 dying, other then that, nothing.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Oh i'm definitely buying it, no doubt about it. My kids took over my PS4, its hard to get time to play a game for me. I mean i have 2 kids one 11, the other 6, and they fight for it, or play on it always. Even though i gave them two PS3's , and Nintendo Wii, PS2, and gameboys each, also PSP's. That did not stop them from taking over my PS4. As soon as its released its mine , all mine ! Nobody can touch it but me ! Lol ..

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

If Sony manages to put together an unbeatable bundle for Black Friday/the holidays, I'd consider picking one up. But it'd have to be something really awesome. Like, they'd have to go all Microsoft with it and be all, "It's $300 for the Horizon Zero Dawn bundle, and you get an additional two games of your choice. And a FREE second controller! Plus a $50 Gift Card!! And a free year of PS Plus!!! Please, please, buy one!"

Beyond that, I don't see me rushing out to get one.

leburn98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#44 leburn98
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

Backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3. Resolution and framerate doesn't bother me. If I wanted a better resolution/framerate I would buy the game for PC (excluding exclusives obviously).

TRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TRPG
Member since 2015 • 271 Posts

Probably more sales . You know how Sony is the best selling console manufacturer its a lot proven .

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

SONY is gonna sell the PS4K for the same price as the original---new. $399. The rest of you are nuts thinking it'd be priced like the PS3.

Avatar image for blazingpanzeriv
BlazingpanzerIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlazingpanzerIV
Member since 2016 • 53 Posts

Well, not too much, as I already have the PS4 and I'm very happy with it graphic wise. (Not that I don't dislike better graphics, but graphics are not all that important to me.) I mean, After getting Minecraft, the next game I got was Sword art online, hollow fragment RE, and even though it's graphics are not necessarily what one would call an eight gen graphics win, I'm having a blast with it.

However, if and when my current PS4 breaks out, things like increased hard drive size, external Usb support, perhaps some backwards compatibility, and things such as that. I really don't care much for 4K (PS4 was going to be my last console anyways, and I'm not going to buy a 4K tv just to enjoy 4K even if I buy the new PS4). I have seen 4K programming showcased in stores, and to me, it'l like, "Ya know, it does look better, but other than that, do I really need it?"

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

A full refund on my PS4.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

**** that. These current consoles are like three or four years old. If they decide to throw new consoles our way this soon that will make the current console generation worst console era ever, fancy graphics and snazzy new shit aside. That would be fucking pathetic. Also, I have a hard time believing that if they release new consoles this soon it won't bite them in the ass. A lot of people won't be happy and will feel gypped... and rightfully so. I'm switching over to PC completely if this happens, which I don't want to do because I still have a soft spot for consoles... and I want to keep that soft spot all tender and supple. I likes me some 'troller.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Nothing, it would be a foolish purchase. Its not going to have any games or anything different from the normal PS4; except they will likely lock VR behind it. This system is nothing but Sony thinking the consumer are suckers again, which to an extent they're right. But, people will catch on soon enough, when they realize, you need a 4K TV to play those "4K" games which aren't actually 4K.

@DuaIFace said:

SONY is gonna sell the PS4K for the same price as the original---new. $399. The rest of you are nuts thinking it'd be priced like the PS3.

Maybe, but how much is a 4K TV? How much for the VR? Those two things are the whole point of the system, if you don't have those, you just paid for another PS4. If you do get them, well, now its a lot more than $600. But have no fear, Sony is sure to offer bundles and deals if you buy Sony 4K TVs.