PS3's real #1 enemy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tarmgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tarmgar
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts
OK. We all know that PS3 sales have been...well...dismal. However, the PS2 never encountered that issue. In fact, the PS2 is now poised to pass the GameBoy and become the number one selling console ever.

The Gameboy, to date, has sold 118.69 million units. The PS2 has sold 117.89 million units, including over 6.5 million in the last 6 months.

So, while things may look bleak for the PS3 at present, Sony has said they are taking the long view on the console. If it's anything like its predecessor, the long view may be rosy indeed.

Source Filefront

So, in this console war that we're locked up with the Wii, and Xbox360, is our real enemy ourselves? I think I remember reading an article from GI Magazine, stating that most of the PS2 fanbase doesn't want to switch to the nextgen console because quality games are still coming out for the PS2, namely the great game, God of War 2. I mean, they have the right idea not to switch because, why would they? The console they have now is still producing great quality games. The PS3 price might still scare the PS2 fanbase, but the reason the PS3 doesn't have the devotion it had in the PS2 era, is because those fans don't want to leave it. So, do you agree with me that our real competitor, our real challenge, is basically ourselves? Please discuss.

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
See unlike those other two companies that almost completely dropped support for there last gen consoles, sony still continues to make great games for the PS2, for example GoW2, and Rougue Galazy both came out a while after the PS3 was launched, Sony as barely tapped into its loyal PS2 fanbase yet.  When PS2 cames stop coming then PS3 will start selling hella fast.
ex-paranoia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ex-paranoia
Member since 2003 • 331 Posts
Sony's only enemy, are the consumers.
Tarmgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tarmgar
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts
Exactly what I'm saying.  The reason why a lot of their loyal fanbase isn't switching over, is because of quality games that are still coming out.  I don't know if new PS2 game sales are helping the PS3 and Sony or if it isn't.  But I just want those people to switch over.
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

Sony's only enemy, are the consumers.ex-paranoia

well that and Super-AIds :P

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cellien
Member since 2004 • 2280 Posts
Well, its not the best business sense to market 2 consoles at the same time (that are totally different). One console will get the shaft. If they want the PS3 to succeed.. they need to taper off PS2 support. How confusing is it to have 2 competing Playstations in the store.. that don't play the same games..
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

Well, its not the best business sense to market 2 consoles at the same time (that are totally different). One console will get the shaft. If they want the PS3 to succeed.. they need to taper off PS2 support. How confusing is it to have 2 competing Playstations in the store.. that don't play the same games..Cellien

the only thing wrong with that statement is that the ps3 plays ps2 games.  The whole competing console idea I agree with, but Sony's doesn't seem to be in a big hurry.  They're probably thinking that once the ps2 finally is done in a year or so then the rest will go right from ps2 to ps3.

Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cellien
Member since 2004 • 2280 Posts

[QUOTE="Cellien"]Well, its not the best business sense to market 2 consoles at the same time (that are totally different). One console will get the shaft. If they want the PS3 to succeed.. they need to taper off PS2 support. How confusing is it to have 2 competing Playstations in the store.. that don't play the same games..The_Rick_14

the only thing wrong with that statement is that the ps3 plays ps2 games.  The whole competing console idea I agree with, but Sony's doesn't seem to be in a big hurry.  They're probably thinking that once the ps2 finally is done in a year or so then the rest will go right from ps2 to ps3.

Ya but the PS2 doesnt play PS3 games.. which we know, but you'd be suprised how many average joes would assume it would since they see the word Playstation on both products being sold in the store at the same time.
E_x_i_l_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 E_x_i_l_e
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
Sony's enemy is the media. With all the trash-talk and bad press going around about Sony, it's really hurting their image.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Rick_14
[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]

[QUOTE="Cellien"]Well, its not the best business sense to market 2 consoles at the same time (that are totally different). One console will get the shaft. If they want the PS3 to succeed.. they need to taper off PS2 support. How confusing is it to have 2 competing Playstations in the store.. that don't play the same games..Cellien

the only thing wrong with that statement is that the ps3 plays ps2 games. The whole competing console idea I agree with, but Sony's doesn't seem to be in a big hurry. They're probably thinking that once the ps2 finally is done in a year or so then the rest will go right from ps2 to ps3.

Ya but the PS2 doesnt play PS3 games.. which we know, but you'd be suprised how many average joes would assume it would since they see the word Playstation on both products being sold in the store at the same time.

haha yea people are dumb

anyways...in due time is still the motto i'm taking 

mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts
Gameboy came out in 1989 and is still alive today.  That's not fair how you're comparing 18 years of sales to 7 years of sales of the PS2.  When you say gameboy, gameboy is the sum of the gameboy brick, pocket, color, advance, and sp.  Sony can discontinue the PS2 whenever they want, so it's not a threat.  The top threat is the 360 because they have money and their next system can beat Sony. The Wii who knows what they will have next generation.  Im sure Sony and 360 will beat the Nintendo in its own game.  Money beats innovation because Sony and MS can copy and make something better than Nintendo.
Yan1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Yan1978
Member since 2005 • 228 Posts

I would normaly agree, but this time Sony really did the work for them, they really screwed up.

I don't think the PS2 is an "enemy" to the Ps3, its an amazing console with hundreds of games and it sells for peanuts. Games will sell systems better than graphics, thats the only lesson to remember from the PS2, which is putting both 360 and PS3 to shame right now. 

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Rick_14
I mean it isnt like the ps3 is going to fall off the market, so what's wrong with continuing to sell ps2s through this year and next?
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
The $199 dollar standalone HD DVD player?