PS3 with Computer Screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ihazbadcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ihazbadcom
Member since 2011 • 90 Posts

Im about to buy a ps3 and I was wondering if I could use my computer screen as a screen for the ps3. Also my screen has hdmi support. And finally, if I connect to a screen, will the quality go down or what? Thank you.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Depends what screen you have and whether it supports 1080P and HDCP.

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

GTR12

This is correct. As long as your screen meets those two requirements, you're good. My monitor is actually doubling as a small TV/PS3 monitor for my room. It's an ASUS 24" 1080p LED. There is a DVI, VGA, and HDMI input on the back. I'm running my PS3 HDMI and my computer DVI. I have a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP HDTV that works, but there are all kinds of spots on the screen because it needs a new light engine. The setup I'm running now works great because I just press the Source button on my monitor and hop back and forth between my PC and PS3.

ihazbadcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ihazbadcom
Member since 2011 • 90 Posts

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

Ryan_Som

This is correct. As long as your screen meets those two requirements, you're good. My monitor is actually doubling as a small TV/PS3 monitor for my room. It's an ASUS 24" 1080p LED. There is a DVI, VGA, and HDMI input on the back. I'm running my PS3 HDMI and my computer DVI. I have a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP HDTV that works, but there are all kinds of spots on the screen because it needs a new light engine. The setup I'm running now works great because I just press the Source button on my monitor and hop back and forth between my PC and PS3.

Great! So any moniter with hdmi and 1080p and hdcp will work just like a tv? Also will the quality go down or something?

TiagoRocha89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TiagoRocha89
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
you don't need the 1080p... You can have the regular 720p/1080i type of screen. I have one of those and works great. However, make sure of one thing: If you conect your PS3 by HDMI and you use your PC with DVI, you might experience some image problems... :) The image will be nice!
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Well it doesn't have to be 1080p, but you may get black bars if the res isn't a 16:9 format or it doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping.

My BenQ monitor, which is 1200p supports pixel mapping, and has no black bars, but it is a high-end $800 monitor.

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

you don't need the 1080p... You can have the regular 720p/1080i type of screen. I have one of those and works great. However, make sure of one thing: If you conect your PS3 by HDMI and you use your PC with DVI, you might experience some image problems... :) The image will be nice!TiagoRocha89

I haven't had any problems with my PS3 running HDMI and PC running DVI. The image quality on HDMI and DVI is said to be identical. The difference is that HDMI can also transmit HD audio whereas the DVI only deals with video.