PS3 to PC montior?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PapaJuliio17
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

Hi all

I'm seriously considering selling my xbox 360, and buying a PS3 instead. We don't have a TV in our house, so I currently connect my 360 to my PC monitor, which looks great. I use an xbox360 VGA cable. I was wondering if there was a similar device that would connect a PS3 to my monitor, that's fairly cheap (£20 ish), and doesnt sacrifice any quality.

By the by, I have some old consoles (gamecube, ps2) I'd also like to connect, so if there's one device that would work for all, that would be good :D. But the PS3 is the main priority =)

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
I might be wrong so maybe someone else can chime in, I believe you will need a monitor that has a DVI port that is HDCP compliant. Then you can just get a HDMI to DVI cable
PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PapaJuliio17

I might be wrong so maybe someone else can chime in, I believe you will need a monitor that has a DVI port that is HDCP compliant. Then you can just get a HDMI to DVI cableEmperorSupreme

Ahh thanks, but that's no good, I'd much rather stay with the monitor I have :S

cj_simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 cj_simmons
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts

the monitor has to have HDCP surport.

for what you want, you need a coverter box that has rca plugs on it. don't know of anything off top of my head, but they aren't cheap.

but, if you just want to just hook up ps3, all you need is a dvi to hdmi cable/adaptor and they are cheap on newegg.com

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts
You could try something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhudY9e2eDk&feature=related. I don't have that cable but, it seems to work with all console. I'm not sure, if there will be sounds, with that cable but if you got a set of speaker then you problaly could use this: http://www.coolshop.dk/catalog/product/54705-ps3-av_s-video-cable-logic3--for-ps3.
rgallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rgallard
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

Are you in the uk or USA?

PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PapaJuliio17

UK

rgallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rgallard

Scrap that, just saw you used a £ sign instead of $ sign. In that case go to www.mrmodchips.com and search ps3 vga. The cable is £19.99. It's what I use to run my ps3 AND wiii on my pc monitor.

mental_case_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 mental_case_5
Member since 2009 • 609 Posts

Hi all

I'm seriously considering selling my xbox 360, and buying a PS3 instead.

PapaJuliio17

Greatest decision you'll make in your life

PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PapaJuliio17

Scrap that, just saw you used a £ sign instead of $ sign. In that case go to www.mrmodchips.com and search ps3 vga. The cable is £19.99. It's what I use to run my ps3 AND wiii on my pc monitor.

rgallard

Thanks, that sounds ideal.

I searched PS3 VGA on that site, and I saw two cables (one in HD). Is there any reason not to simply get the HD version?

Also, I've read a few reviews on amazon for that cable, and several people seem to have issues with it, such as poor quality, sound etc. Is this something you've noticed in your experience?

rgallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rgallard

The only issue I had was the instructions were absolutely $hit. they'd obviously been written in a foreign language and translated by a retard.

Have just looked on the site, and I don't see why you shouldn't go for the HD one, as it seems to do the same, and chances are the instructions may be a little bit better. they didn't have that one when I ordered my cable.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
wait, im confused here. I'm guessing you don't care about HD considering you were using vga on your 360. So am i right in guessing that you're using the av connection on the ps3 and not the hdmi. because vga to hdmi isn't possible is it? analogue to digital screams disaster!
PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PapaJuliio17

wait, im confused here. I'm guessing you don't care about HD considering you were using vga on your 360. So am I right in guessing that you're using the av connection on the ps3 and not the hdmi. because vga to hdmi isn't possible is it? analogue to digital screams disaster!tirralirra

That's not really true, I'd like it to look as good as it would on a HD screen. The graphics when I play the xbox on my monitor look great (certainly not less than HD), this may be bacause it was a VGA HD cable (I can't remember, and i discarded the packaging), or it may be down to my monitor itself.

GamingKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 GamingKidX
Member since 2010 • 329 Posts

[QUOTE="PapaJuliio17"]

Hi all

I'm seriously considering selling my xbox 360, and buying a PS3 instead.

mental_case_5

Greatest decision you'll make in your life

Lol, Agreed.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts

[QUOTE="tirralirra"]wait, im confused here. I'm guessing you don't care about HD considering you were using vga on your 360. So am I right in guessing that you're using the av connection on the ps3 and not the hdmi. because vga to hdmi isn't possible is it? analogue to digital screams disaster!PapaJuliio17

That's not really true, I'd like it to look as good as it would on a HD screen. The graphics when I play the xbox on my monitor look great (certainly not less than HD), this may be bacause it was a VGA HD cable (I can't remember, and i discarded the packaging), or it may be down to my monitor itself.

well, if you're running a monitor, chances are, it'll match HD quality as most monitors do. where did you connect your VGA hd cable on the 360, cos i doubt it'd be in the hdmi but the av connection because vga is analogue and hdmi is digital. also, the av on the 360 did component too, which is pretty much as close as you can get to HD without using HD, something i think the ps3 is not capable of. so basically, if you have dvi on your monitor look for dvi to hdmi cable or adapter. otherwise, you're just gona have to run the VGA. oh, and don't forget, you wont get any sound from either dvi or vga so make sure you get an optical cable too.
Falconthefirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Falconthefirst
Member since 2010 • 80 Posts
[QUOTE="tirralirra"]wait, im confused here. I'm guessing you don't care about HD considering you were using vga on your 360. So am i right in guessing that you're using the av connection on the ps3 and not the hdmi. because vga to hdmi isn't possible is it? analogue to digital screams disaster!

This. it's going to be very difficult to get from HDMI to VGA, you need a digital to analog adapter. Are you sure you don't have a DVI port on your monitor?
rgallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rgallard

The cable i'm suggesting runs in HD, up to 1080p on a pc monitor. My monitor isn't that great so only displays in 720p, which serves me fine, but I have seen it run up to 1080p. So disregard all the people here saying "you obviously don't care about hd!".

PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PapaJuliio17

Thanks alot everyone who's taken the time to reply :) I'll take a little while now to investigate the possibilities, and I might post again if I have any queries. Thanks agian =)

NB: my monitor does not have a DVI port.