PS3 through 5.1 surround to HDTV all via HDMI. No surround sound. PLEASE HELP!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts

Ok like the title says I've got my PS3 through the 5.1 surround sound with and HDMI cord then another HDMI cord from the 5.1 to the HDTV. I have normal sound on the TV but for some reason the 5.1 isn't coming through. Any specific thing I need to do for surround? If it doesnt work ill just get an Optical cable but I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks for the help.

ktrotter11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ktrotter11
Member since 2006 • 1140 Posts

if you are gettin sound from the tv, which from your statement would be the last component in the loop, then there must be a problem with the receiver

oh, try checking the supported codecs of your receiver and make sure that the ps3 isn't outputting anything it cant handle, you can do that by going into the audio options if you aren't familiar with it.

MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MOSSBERG_E-Rock

i did the "auto" function in the settings but is there an easy way to find out what my receiever outputs?

Tim_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Tim_Drake
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

The problem I've had with HDMI was that my sound never worked right, when I played certain games like Saints Row 2 the sound wouldn't come through. Then I just ended up with Optical I know it doesn't give you 7.1 but it gives me 5.1 which is better than anything. Optical doesn't hurt if you're just wanting 5.1, but I see you are trying to avoid that all together.

MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MOSSBERG_E-Rock

The problem I've had with HDMI was that my sound never worked right, when I played certain games like Saints Row 2 the sound wouldn't come through. Then I just ended up with Optical I know it doesn't give you 7.1 but it gives me 5.1 which is better than anything. Optical doesn't hurt if you're just wanting 5.1, but I see you are trying to avoid that all together.

Tim_Drake
it aint that big of a deal. i just want my 5.1 ill pick up an optical cable tomorrow jsut suffer one night without it. thanks for the help.
budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
I just run HDMI directly to the tv, then optical to the reciever.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
It may be the receiver. I know my setup does the same thing if I run HDMI to it then HDMI to my TV. It is really dumb but that is what it does. I use optical to my reciever and HDMI from my PS3 to the TV. It works great this way and just selet the Dolby and DTS settings in your audio options (leave the default ones checked too)
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
It may be the receiver. I know my setup does the same thing if I run HDMI to it then HDMI to my TV. It is really dumb but that is what it does. I use optical to my reciever and HDMI from my PS3 to the TV. It works great this way and just selet the Dolby and DTS settings in your audio options (leave the default ones checked too)nightshade869
like i said thanks for your help. imma just get an optical cable and be good. yall good tho, thanks for the help