PS3 +R&C for my wife?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6966 Posts

Do not post in this thread unless you have played through to the end the complete R&C game.

Do not post fanboy BS in this thread

Do not post anything about PS3 hardware in this thread...I already know all the pros and cons

Situation:

I have the other two systems. Eventually I will get a PS3.

My wife's B-Day is in a week. She is NOT a gamer. She barely tolerates the concept...except she liked Viva Pinata (although the complexity frustrated her), and likes some of the Wii offerings...ultra casual.

Out of the blue, she's decided that Rachet is cute and has expressed interest in the game :)

Opportunity strikes only so often....so I am considering getting her (cough: me) a PS3 + R&C for her B-Day.

However, the game needs to be solid and hold her interest for a while. The worst thing would be for her not to like it or for her to be bored quickly. In that case, I would be better served to wait for another opportunity. I definately don't want to hear: you bought a PS3 for yourself on my B-Day...you could havebought me clothes or perfume or jewelry...yada...yada...married guys likely know what I mean :)

GS review had 3 basic deficiencies:

1. Story - pretty important because she will value that as much as gameplay...maybe more. Remember she thinks Ratchet is cute.

2. Ease - as a casual the easy criticism is not a big deal, maybe a benefit actually, ....but does it have some replayability? Or is it one time, yer done?

3. Various/too many? actions - is the flow disrupted? Will she get distracted easily? for an uber casual are the differing actions so many that they are hard to remember or figure out or keep straight?

Pls remember that she is a complete newbie and pushing more than 1 or 2 buttons is a challenge :)

Anyway...I know all the good points. Visuals. Solid controls. Fun.

Again, no fanboy BS pls. No bashing the reviewer or bias BS pls. I don't care. I just want to know whether the 3 points above are vaild criticisms given this specific case with this specific person that I am buying for as outlined above.

A PS3 purchase is inevitable..it is only when...so pls don't try to lead me down a path of rose coloured glasses.

stefanlek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 stefanlek
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

I've only played the demo so i cant answer all those points, however i think looking at user reviews might proove useful

casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts
I bought my wife a PS3 3 months ago and I got R & C and she loves it. She played it for 3 hours after I brought it home.
diablos101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 diablos101
Member since 2003 • 1077 Posts

I think you should get a thing that your wife would perfer. After the game is done and dusted what then? Its a shallow present and even you stated that you wanted it on your wife's birthday is rather selfish. I know you want a PS3 and who doesnt ;) but you may have to wait a lil longer for it. If your trying to get her into games then as she mentioned.. Wii is the way forward.

If you choose to ignore my reasoning etc.. then perhaps you should get Rub a Dub as she might also like the cuteness factor and it is easy to get into with a couple of blue-ray movies she might like :) f you can spare the cash that is

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

there are other reviews out there!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26714.html

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/829/829409p2.html

its a great game, and the fact thats its easy is a good thing for your wife, overall good move for her and the household, especially if u got an HDTV

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts
do it
casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 casey7672

Do not post in this thread unless you have played through to the end the complete R&C game.

Do not post fanboy BS in this thread

Do not post anything about PS3 hardware in this thread...I already know all the pros and cons

Situation:

I have the other two systems. Eventually I will get a PS3.

My wife's B-Day is in a week. She is NOT a gamer. She barely tolerates the concept...except she liked Viva Pinata (although the complexity frustrated her), and likes some of the Wii offerings...ultra casual.

Out of the blue, she's decided that Rachet is cute and has expressed interest in the game :)

Opportunity strikes only so often....so I am considering getting her (cough: me) a PS3 + R&C for her B-Day.

However, the game needs to be solid and hold her interest for a while. The worst thing would be for her not to like it or for her to be bored quickly. In that case, I would be better served to wait for another opportunity. I definately don't want to hear: you bought a PS3 for yourself on my B-Day...you could havebought me clothes or perfume or jewelry...yada...yada...married guys likely know what I mean :)

GS review had 3 basic deficiencies:

1. Story - pretty important because she will value that as much as gameplay...maybe more. Remember she thinks Ratchet is cute.

2. Ease - as a casual the easy criticism is not a big deal, maybe a benefit actually, ....but does it have some replayability? Or is it one time, yer done?

3. Various/too many? actions - is the flow disrupted? Will she get distracted easily? for an uber casual are the differing actions so many that they are hard to remember or figure out or keep straight?

Pls remember that she is a complete newbie and pushing more than 1 or 2 buttons is a challenge :)

Anyway...I know all the good points. Visuals. Solid controls. Fun.

Again, no fanboy BS pls. No bashing the reviewer or bias BS pls. I don't care. I just want to know whether the 3 points above are vaild criticisms given this specific case with this specific person that I am buying for as outlined above.

A PS3 purchase is inevitable..it is only when...so pls don't try to lead me down a path of rose coloured glasses.

SUD123456

1. Yes, story is great.

2.Probably a 1 time you're done type of a game.

3.Not too many actions. Very easy to play.Flow doesn't get interrupted. I don't know your wife to tell you if she gets distracted easily while playing games.

4.She would have to learn to use all the various buttons, but they're easy to learn. I'm sure you could show her easily and she would catch on quick.

InsaneHanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 InsaneHanz
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
Kind of off-topic, but if the R&C thing doesn't work out, there are many casual games on the PSN. Use those for plan B.
casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 casey7672

Kind of off-topic, but if the R&C thing doesn't work out, there are many casual games on the PSN. Use those for plan B.InsaneHanz

Yes Super Stardust HD would be great for her. My wife loves that game.

Avatar image for jimboboklashaur
jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 jimboboklashaur
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts
It's a great game. My girlfriend loves my PS3, and she plays basketball with me all the time, along with R&C. If you want to know more unbiased reviews, you should go to IGN for that. They have much fairer reviews. But I'm sure your wife would enjoy it.
peterrobau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 peterrobau
Member since 2004 • 1319 Posts
DUDE Listen to me... DONT DO IT... first of its selfish... and its not the right time to do this, regardless of how good ratchet is.. buy a ps3 later....TRUST ME... this is a horrible decision. Go with something that tells her you love her, not something that has the possiblility of getting her mad... DONT DO IT...
Avatar image for jimboboklashaur
jimboboklashaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 jimboboklashaur
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts
DUDE Listen to me... DONT DO IT... first of its selfish... and its not the right time to do this, regardless of how good ratchet is.. buy a ps3 later....TRUST ME... this is a horrible decision. Go with something that tells her you love her, not something that has the possiblility of getting her mad... DONT DO IT... peterrobau
LOL. That's probably the most extreme overexaggeration I've ever heard. I've bought my girlfriend both a DS Lite and a PSP and a bunch of games and she loves it. If the dude's wife wants the game, he needs the system. And it's not his fault he would use it too. LOL.
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts

there are other reviews out there!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26714.html

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/829/829409p2.html

its a great game, and the fact thats its easy is a good thing for your wife, overall good move for her and the household, especially if u got an HDTV

winner-ps3
That's the review that I was going to post. They say it's easy enough for most gamers. So, most girls wont mind it since it's not too difficult.
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
FYI there are different controls for some of the skydiving, flying, clank sequences. but the controls are very simple and easy to get used to. its a great game I would recommend to anyone, hard core or newbie. If you dont feel safe about it, a wii with wii sports is another great option.
Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts
Dude, I've been married for the past ten years. DON'T DO IT!!! Don't get her a gift that's really for you man, you'll never hear the end of it. Trust me.
Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts
DUDE Listen to me... DONT DO IT... first of its selfish... and its not the right time to do this, regardless of how good ratchet is.. buy a ps3 later....TRUST ME... this is a horrible decision. Go with something that tells her you love her, not something that has the possiblility of getting her mad... DONT DO IT... peterrobau
I agree.
mikemd4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mikemd4eva
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts

I agree !!!! Im married for 9 yrs and i can tell you this would be a mistake ! Get aPS3 but at a different time for you and try to get her to play then ! Not for her b-day ! Dont do it !
GTZ2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 GTZ2k3
Member since 2003 • 472 Posts
Would she like Oblivion? My girlfriend tried it and was hooked because of all there was to do and how real the world seemed. It's a bit of a jump from Viva, but it could be doable. It sure would last longer, although if it works, you may not see your wife for a few months...
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#19 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
this is like the time when homer bought marge a bowling ball with his name on it
InsaneHanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 InsaneHanz
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
Now that I think about it, don't get her a PS3 for her birthday. Get the PS3 as a family present on christmas or whatever you celebrate.
dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts
my wife MADE me get R&C which i think is enough said
forgot_my_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 forgot_my_name
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts

my wife MADE me get R&C which i think is enough saiddstryr13

Haha, really?

riobird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 riobird
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts
just get her (you) the system and the game she should like it
u_poop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 u_poop
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts

yes defanitaly get it for her she will like it, you can also get her hevanly sword, folklore, and sonic the hedgehog

also get the 40 gb one for $400, since it is cheap

bluezclue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bluezclue
Member since 2005 • 1865 Posts
for her (cough me) hahahaha....damn... thats a bit messed up lol....if u go through with it... care posting her reaction? haha
Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
As much as I would love to buy a PS3, I would never recommend ANYONE to buy a game console for their wife...
brandeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 brandeni
Member since 2003 • 368 Posts

R+C shouldnt be to complex. Move, Jump, Shoot, change weapons, and wrench attack are the only things she needs to learn to complete the game and have a great time with it. Just as long as your walking her through at first, introducing her to different buttons.

Also, consider additionally putting a few bucks down on some downloadable games she may enjoy. Calling all Cars is a huge hit with my girl friend, and she is in no way a gamer. Download a bunch of demo's too of like simple games, like Super Rub a Dub, and so on.

That should help keep her occupied and satisfied. Dont forget to load up some photos of you and her maybe and some of her favorite tunes before you give it to her.

Its not the PS3+Ratchet that will be the hit, it will be the effort and thought you put into it that will initially hit it off. Then she will get addicted to it.

jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
Yeah i have to agree with some of the others. Don't buy a PS3 for your wifes B-Day! even if she thinks Ratchet is cute, she's going to see right past that and say you only bought a PS3 for your self. It's like when Homer bought Marge a bowling ball for her birthday on The Simpsons.
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts
Don't forget the PS3 is a Blu-ray player, so buy some movies she likes too !!!
pinionxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pinionxl
Member since 2002 • 1870 Posts
My fiance *likes* playing video games with me and I wouldn't even dream of buying her electronics for her birthday. That's suicide. How long have you been married?! How long do you want to stay married?!?!
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6966 Posts

Thanks for all the replies...especially those on topic :)

For those concerned about my well being :) don't fret. I am a lot older than you and have been married close to 25 years. I am also probably a lot wealthier than you. I am not bragging, just a fact. Indeed, I'd likely choose poor and young...but we can't turn back the clock. My wife already has a huge walk-in closet full of clothes, enough shoes to rival Imelda Marcos (if you are old enough to know who that is) and enough jewelry that it cost me a few grand a year just to insure it all.

We are way beyond material possessions per se. It isn't about gifts, money and the like. She'll like my card, the fact that I'll cook her a nice dinner, and my Happy B-Day, Love Always more than anything.

It is about time. Time is our most precious commodity and I want to make sure that we enjoy what is left. Personally, I really like games..always have. Board games, card games, video games. I am big kid at heart. My wife and I enjoy cards, but she has never really been that into video games. I'd like to get her more into it...but on her terms.

I could buy the PS3 any time. It is no more than finding or losing a quarter on the street to me. But I'd rather buy one when I know that she will spend some time with it and me just playing some vids. When I said that I didn't want her to say.."you could have bought me a" ____(fill in blank)....well, she would never actually say that...cause it is just stuff. What I really mean is that she might view it as time for me...not time for her, or time for us. That's all. But, great advice and I thank you for it.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Kudos to you my friend.

The person is only old as he feels. Age is just a number for those who are concern with it.

By the way, I learned never to underestimate woman's sense for "cuteness".

I'm sure both of you will have a lot of fun with Ratchet. :)

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
lol, if she found viva pinata too complex why don't you get her... a DS? it doesn't get much simpler than that.
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts

It's not our responsibility if you get divorced. :P

Also, just buy a perfume or some clothes on the side, so if she doesn't like the game, or even the system, she would have something extra that you know she's gonna like so she wouldn't be too dissapointed.