PS3 - Please help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeltaCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 DeltaCobra
Member since 2007 • 542 Posts

I have bought a PS3 and have some problems in getting it to work, i think.

3 issues. 

1. Does it play music CD's? I put in a music CD (HEDKANDI) that had no scratches what so ever, and it does not even register the CD as being inserted.

I can hear it spinning but that as much music as I get.  

2.  I understand this multimedia device has no support for Ipod. Is this right? My PS3 just freezes when i hook up my iPod via USB? Any ideas?

3. I have a sony digital camera, and i burnt a file straight onto a CD (our basketball GF). Now, i take the CD and put the CD in the PS3 and it just says DATADISC -which i click on. The PS3 then says it has no playable files on the CD? These files being from a Sony DIgital Camera?

Is the PS3 really this bad in these highlighted areas? It's just that i set up my PS3 in my room and I leave the 360 outside, because I love the way the PS3 looks. Thats about all i'm loving right now...

Say it ain't so.

Any help, cheers. 

dragonseer439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 dragonseer439
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts
1. Definately should play CD's - I don't know about burned CD's though, but yeah, store bought ones should work, if they don't then you have a problem.  I've ripped a lot of CD's to the hard drive.
2. Not sure, but if you can put the files on a Memory Stick then it can play them.  It didn't recognise an external hard drive when I hooked it up, probably thinks that what an ipod is.
3. Don't know, have you checked compatible video formats?  It is described in the online help. 
pandadude01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pandadude01
Member since 2004 • 2084 Posts
In answer to point 3, press trianle and go to display all files, don't press X on it. If the file is compatable with the PS3, it will appear by doing it this way.
DeltaCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DeltaCobra

Hey thanks for the help.

I tried that with the triangle. No good. You'd think that sony would have a seamless integration with it's products?

Im disgusted, this thing is all hype in my opinion. Sorry to all those people that have bought one, I know it wasn't cheap! but its now nearly 2

years since XBOX360 came out and all we have is promises in my opinion. Honestly... not being able to play an iPod is pathetic.

Love the blu-ray. Im buying a second one (one of the discounted ones) for the living room still! but other than that, as in games, and true next gen ability. I dont see it yet.

Just heaps of promises - as long as you give them your money!

PS3 fans - im on your side, im a realist though. Do you guys think they will bring the iPod support? 

DeltaCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DeltaCobra

Hey thanks for the help.

I tried that with the triangle. No good. You'd think that sony would have a seamless integration with it's products?

Im disgusted, this thing is all hype in my opinion. Sorry to all those people that have bought one, I know it wasn't cheap! but its now nearly 2

years since XBOX360 came out and all we have is promises in my opinion. Honestly... not being able to play an iPod is pathetic.

Love the blu-ray. Im buying a second one (one of the discounted ones) for the living room still! but other than that, as in games, and true next gen ability. I dont see it yet.

Just heaps of promises - as long as you give them your money!

PS3 fans - im on your side, im a realist though. Do you guys think they will bring the iPod support? 

rayjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 rayjapan
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts

DeltaCobra

BTW, I'm only guessing here, but support for a device requires co-operation from both sides.  I don't know the whole story, but it also depends on whether or not Apple has given Sony enough information to properly support it.  It's not just the format of the song, but also encryption to prevent purchased songs from being copied, etc.  This isn't just about technology, but maybe lawyers from both sides sitting down and working it out...  So, don't place your blame on Sony unless you know Apple's format is "open" (which I don't think it is).
As for your photos, copying photos from a memory stick into a CD doesn't make the photos "from a Sony camera" anymore.  Sony cameras (in fact, all cameras) store photos, movies, etc. in particular directories and if you've removed this organization, then the photos are no different from photos from any other brand of camera.  Also, this structure might only be searched for if it's on a memory stick.  On a CD, it might not mean anything.  I don't know.  Did you make an "exact copy" of the entire memory stick and not just the photos?  i.e., if you are using Windows and open the memory stick with My Computer and do the same with the CD, the structure is identical.
Good luck!
DeltaCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DeltaCobra

Hey there, I appreciate your comments!

I must disagree on some things though. In my opinion, i do not care too much for Sony and Apple's lawyers as much as I do seem-less integration of technology. I pay top dollar for these things, and am loyal to the respective brands. So im sure most would agree that its up to them to provide a QUALITY USER EXPERIENCE.

Obviously I mean that the formats should be supported. Whether that be the photo/video/music player that the PS3 has and Sony provide, or otherwise. I just paid $1000AUD full price for a PS3 that does not do this.

Its not a legal obligation is it?  Microsoft and its XBOX360 seem to have iPod's running just fine, even though they sell and obviously endorse, the ZUNE.

My girlfriends $200 pioneer car head unit seems to LAP UP iPod connectivity just fine. No problems out of that single cell crap for a computer head unit. Maybe Pioneer is best friends with Apple at the moment?

:) 

I wouldn't be crapping on anyone but Sony for these discrepancies in quality.

If we speak they will listen I'm sure. I think we need more assertion though from people towards Sony with what is wanted and needed.

A lot of people it seems don't really care what Sony does. Whether its average game support after a HUGE waiting period for games, and other things that i previously mentioned.

Like I said, I own one, and love the way it looks but Sony's legal problems are not mine. (not that they have Legal problems with anyone other than the DUAL SHOCK people as far as i know. 

;)