PS3 optical audio not working right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts
Heelo, i have a question i hope you guys can answer i have my ps3 hooked up through the optical audio to my reciever, and in the ps3 menu have set it to use the optical out. However when using the optical out, it seems like if the ps3 isnt sending sound, that it turns off the digital audio signal.

To explain better my reciever has a digital display to show what audio type is currently being used. If there is a signal it will say dolby digital, or dolby pro logic, etc. If no signal it will say no digital signal. If i am on the menu bar for the ps3 and touch nothing, the audio reciever will display no digital signal. As soon as i start to move around the menu bar it makes the nvigational noise and my audio reciever switches back to dolby digital(however it takes a second and you dont hear anything for that first second).

So to me it seems that if the ps3 is not sending a sound, it turns the optical off instead of just sending a constant no sound signal, does anyone else have experience with this and know if there is a fix for it?
plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

Would it be possible that you selected some audio option that are not compatible with your sound system?

Other than that I don't know. I'm using the optical output as well and mine is working perfectly

Epipsychidion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Epipsychidion
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts
I use optical out on mine, and this also happens on mine. I believe that it's just the way that it works - when there's no sound to output, the PS3 will not output a sound, yet as soon as you move in the menu and sound is required it sends it. I've had no problems with mine yet. Hope that helps
staticuxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 staticuxo
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

same **** happens to me... though i've only heard of it happening with logitech z5500's, which i have.

sometimes it's weird how you don't hear the tick of the xmb for the first second, then it pops on..

it really don't bother me too much, but i'm also curious if there is a fix.

StitDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StitDawg
Member since 2003 • 96 Posts
I use the optical output with a Sony receiver and have never had a problem with this.
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Love_Hina_Lover

same **** happens to me... though i've only heard of it happening with logitech z5500's, which i have.

sometimes it's weird how you don't hear the tick of the xmb for the first second, then it pops on..

it really don't bother me too much, but i'm also curious if there is a fix.

staticuxo

Thats actually what im using is the z5500's so i guess that is the problem then, lol. Cause i have an optical switch so i have my 360, ps3, ps2, and xbox all connected, but its only the ps3 that gives me the problem
Epipsychidion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Epipsychidion
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts
I'm also using the Z5500's. Damn, cos I've been nothing but impressed with them otherwise!
ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts

it is possible, that if you have an older sound system that it is merely an Optical Out on the back of the sound system- and there for it wil not recieve signal fromyour ps3.

its a shame it isnt working because once you hear optical surround sound for the first time it will blow you away, the difference is amazing- you'll finally realize what surround sound is all about

Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Love_Hina_Lover

it is possible, that if you have an older sound system that it is merely an Optical Out on the back of the sound system- and there for it wil not recieve signal fromyour ps3.

its a shame it isnt working because once you hear optical surround sound for the first time it will blow you away, the difference is amazing- you'll finally realize what surround sound is all about

ronniepage588

No see you dont understand, we hear it, its just that when no sound is being sent, our recievers interpert this as there is no digital connection, there is, and when sound starts playing again we get it back, just it takes a second and can be annoying/distracting
sunburnwilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sunburnwilly
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts
Sounds like your receiver is having issues . I know exactly what your talking about . Mine does it only when going from the start up screen to the game . Once the game is loaded no problem .
YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YourDaddy88
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Heelo, i have a question i hope you guys can answer i have my ps3 hooked up through the optical audio to my reciever, and in the ps3 menu have set it to use the optical out. However when using the optical out, it seems like if the ps3 isnt sending sound, that it turns off the digital audio signal.

To explain better my reciever has a digital display to show what audio type is currently being used. If there is a signal it will say dolby digital, or dolby pro logic, etc. If no signal it will say no digital signal. If i am on the menu bar for the ps3 and touch nothing, the audio reciever will display no digital signal. As soon as i start to move around the menu bar it makes the nvigational noise and my audio reciever switches back to dolby digital(however it takes a second and you dont hear anything for that first second).

So to me it seems that if the ps3 is not sending a sound, it turns the optical off instead of just sending a constant no sound signal, does anyone else have experience with this and know if there is a fix for it?
Love_Hina_Lover

Does your receiver accept/decode linear PCM? If not, try changing it to bitstream output on the PS3 menu. Linear PCM is better though, so save up and get a better audio system, preferably one with HDMI input.

Smooth_Op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Smooth_Op
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Sounds like your receiver is having issues . I know exactly what your talking about . Mine does it only when going from the start up screen to the game . Once the game is loaded no problem . sunburnwilly

I'm having the same issue. Within the XMB, the ticks don't always play, but audio playback within games and movies is absolutely flawless. The issue is definitely isolated to the XMB.

Is this a receiver or whatever issue (my dad recently bought this as part of a package: http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?productID=6814), or is it just the way it is?

FoxDie003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoxDie003
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts
i also have the z5500's and mine does the same thing
jkocher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jkocher
Member since 2002 • 203 Posts
Does your receiver have an automatic setting for the sound input? My old receiver could be set to auto, or it could be toggled to two other modes (if you hit the source button more than once it would toggle through the modes). I can't recall the mode names, but the modes might have been digital, analog, and auto. If your receiver is set to an auto mode, it might be muting the sound until a signal comes through again. If you can force it to stay in optical/digital mode, maybe it will stop cutting out when there is no signal.
Spindoc_SEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Spindoc_SEI
Member since 2005 • 1349 Posts
It's just the way it is. I have the same speakers. This is not a problem at all as it seems the PS3 is just not sending a constant signal while in the menus. Also you have to have bitstream selected with optical out, otherwise you won't get surround sound, it'll be Pro Logic II with the Logitech Z-5500 speakers. In my experience bitstream over optical out sounds a lot better than linear PCM anyway. Linear PCM may be higher quality, but seems to have less dynamic range and less overall distinction in the surround output.
comicchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 comicchaser
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

*pushing up old thead*

Same problem here with an old Sony Receiver. The real issue lies within the playback of videos with the PS3 Media Server. If there are scenes without sound in a video, the PS3 will turn off the signal and only switches back, when a sound occurs in the video. For example, if there is a pause in a dialogue between two people (and no music or other sound whatsoever in the backround), the PS3 switches off the signal for the LPCM sound until the other person starts to talk. This causes the beginning of the sentence to be muted/missing and is very annoying.

Apparently you can't set the PS3 to bitstream output for anything else than DVD and BD sound, which of course doesn't include the sound for videos streamed from your PC. Is there a workaround I've missed, or no solution at all to this?

TDmonaca88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TDmonaca88
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Same problem... This is very annoying. Is there a fix yet? I am using the Sony STR-K700 as my reciever. Any help is greatly appriciated :)

hesido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hesido
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Up-- I'm having the exact same problem. This time, I'm connecting the Ps3 to my LG TV through hdmi, and the TV is connected to the LG HT906TA Home theatre through digital optical. The XMB sounds go off if I stop input for a few seconds, then sound comes back after I keep moving the XMB.

I didn't test a direct optical connection between, and I didn't use to have this problem on my older HT system with a direct optical connection.

p.s. HT906TA doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic. I was lured into buying it because I saw the Dolby digital logo alright, thought if it had dolby digital, it would have the preceding tech. I was wrong, and would like to return it, but I can't. (Also some websites report it as having Dolby prologic)

jinkxy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jinkxy1234
Member since 2011 • 40 Posts
same thing happens to my z906. I'm sure its just the way it is. No big deal though.
cheezy909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 cheezy909
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
Omg I'm having the exact same problen with my turtle beach px5's!!
monsterhax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 monsterhax
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi, I have the px5's too and last night the problem reappeared! I have a Ps3 fat outputing optical too px5s. HDMI goes to my Onkyo then to TV. The problem I experience is delay on that first click in the xmb (which sounds common enough as the audio source output device may take a second to register input) But my problem seems more severe where after a period of use audio is cut off...PERIOD! Only a system restart will bring it back but who knows for how long as the problem repeats. If I change to HDMI all is fine. I suspect a fault on he optical out on the ps3, it has done this before the px5s also so can almost exclude them at being at fault, though its interesting when the problem occurs as the px5 headphones switch off, switch them on and they immediately report going off again.... Need to sort this out its interferring with my bf3
monsterhax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 monsterhax
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi, I have the px5's too and last night the problem reappeared! I have a Ps3 fat outputing optical too px5s. HDMI goes to my Onkyo then to TV. The problem I experience is delay on that first click in the xmb (which sounds common enough as the audio source output device may take a second to register input) But my problem seems more severe where after a period of use audio is cut off...PERIOD! Only a system restart will bring it back but who knows for how long as the problem repeats. If I change to HDMI all is fine. I suspect a fault on he optical out on the ps3, it has done this before the px5s also so can almost exclude them at being at fault, though its interesting when the problem occurs as the px5 headphones switch off, switch them on and they immediately report going off again.... Need to sort this out its interferring with my bf3
mcassell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mcassell
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I have an issue that just started in the last 2 weeks. I have the PS3 connected to a Denon receiver via optical audio. The sound has worked flawlessly for the last 6 years. Now, when you first turn on the PS3 there is no sound. When looking at the receiver display you can see that the audio signal seems to be "in and out" with the Dolby Digital flashing on and off the display. Next, the sound will be broken (on and off) when it will finally come on and stay on with no issues. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? I have checked all connections and they are good.