PS3 Online Gaming Network

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TREN-HEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TREN-HEAD
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hi guys, I finally plugged the internet into the back of my PS3, never played online before (bit behind the times I know lol), So I signed up and then tried to play BF3 and it won't allow me to play online without paying £7.99, I don't want to pay it, I thought online gaming was free, are there any games you can play online without having to pay fees? I think the price paid for the games in the shop is enough without additional fees for online fun!
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
:lol: Welcome to the future of the industry.
TREN-HEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TREN-HEAD
So as well as paying for the game in the shop, you have then to pay it online? Robbing B&stards! lol
o4SSASSINo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 o4SSASSINo
Sorry to hear that. But not all games require you to pay for online play, just a few select titles. For the most part PSN is completely free of charge except DLC. Try Call of Duty or Medal of Honor, etc. And usually when you buy a game that has online play, it usually comes with a free pass. Check your BF3 case.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#5 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

It's a stupid online pass that some companies do, they do the same thing with the 360 version. It's done to try and stop used game sales, if you buy a game used you have to buy a pass to unlock the online feature on certain games, mainly EA and Ubisoft games. If you buy it new you get the pass included, the pass only needs to be activated one time, you don't have to keep paying a fee.

PSN is free though, you can play online without a subscrption unlike Xbox Live. Both services play exactly the same online, just one is free (PSN) and one charges you but gives you cross game chat (XBL).

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
[QUOTE="TREN-HEAD"]So as well as paying for the game in the shop, you have then to pay it online? Robbing B&stards! lol

Man, where have you been? Mars? :D This is one of the most divisive topics in the industry right now. This is punitive punishment developers are pulling on consumers for buying used games. The magic words are "online pass." If you see these words this means if you don't buy the game new you will have to pony up the dough to play online. It's basically extortion to get you to buy new instead of buying used. Not all games are like this, but it is a disturbing trend and don't be surprised if all games that have multiplayer incorporate this eventually.
arsenal1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 arsenal1111
Member since 2004 • 168 Posts
[QUOTE="TREN-HEAD"]Hi guys, I finally plugged the internet into the back of my PS3, never played online before (bit behind the times I know lol), So I signed up and then tried to play BF3 and it won't allow me to play online without paying £7.99, I don't want to pay it, I thought online gaming was free, are there any games you can play online without having to pay fees? I think the price paid for the games in the shop is enough without additional fees for online fun!

It won't ask you to pay £7.99; it'll ask you for a code. Which you can find at the back of your manual. If you bought the game new, that is. If you bought it used, you have to buy the code to play online. The rationale behind this from the publishers of said games is that the get nothing of the used game sales but with this online pass, they'll get something from each used game sale. Whether you agree or not is up to each individual person (the majority disagree and like their games cheap, 2nd hand, and online free). I personally don't care; if I buy a game for £10 second hand, then £8 on top of that is still nothing compared to a £35/£40 priced full game.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

If you bought the game new, it will have an online pass on a slip inside the case. If you bought it second hand, you will have to buy the online pass.

TREN-HEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TREN-HEAD
Haha yeah I have been out of the loop for too long! Got plenty of catching up to do, last console I played was N64 and PS1 lol. Those greedy gits charging people online fees, and the shops should leave the codes in the case when selling pre-owned games! Anyhow I just found the code in my case for BF3 so thanks for telling me that. :beer: Now just waiting for COD Bo2 which I pre-ordered today! :D Thanks for the info Guys! :)
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="TREN-HEAD"]So as well as paying for the game in the shop, you have then to pay it online? Robbing B&stards! lolKravyn81
Man, where have you been? Mars? :D This is one of the most divisive topics in the industry right now. This is punitive punishment developers are pulling on consumers for buying used games. The magic words are "online pass." If you see these words this means if you don't buy the game new you will have to pony up the dough to play online. It's basically extortion to get you to buy new instead of buying used. Not all games are like this, but it is a disturbing trend and don't be surprised if all games that have multiplayer incorporate this eventually.

Not even close to being the most distrubing trend for the industry.

o4SSASSINo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 o4SSASSINo

It's a stupid online pass that some companies do, they do the same thing with the 360 version. It's done to try and stop used game sales, if you buy a game used you have to buy a pass to unlock the online feature on certain games, mainly EA and Ubisoft games. If you buy it new you get the pass included, the pass only needs to be activated one time, you don't have to keep paying a fee.

PSN is free though, you can play online without a subscrption unlike Xbox Live. Both services play exactly the same online, just one is free (PSN) and one charges you but gives you cross game chat (XBL).

ShadowMoses900
Ah,so that is the reasoning behind it. I was under the impression the publishers were just implementing another money sucking tactic. I understand game companies need revenue, but trying to stop used game sales is plain wrong in my eyes.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Kravyn81"][QUOTE="TREN-HEAD"]So as well as paying for the game in the shop, you have then to pay it online? Robbing B&stards! lolGxgear

Not even close to being the most distrubing trend for the industry.

Unfortunatley so true .___.

RapidTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RapidTurtle
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts

They will suck your money the content they put out after the game comes out. COD games are usually $14.99 for 4 or 5 multiplayer maps, which in my opinion is absurd. You don't have to buy them to continue playing online, but it is tempting to keep the games fresh.