PS3 not recognizing USB thumb drive.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 skrillalover
Member since 2003 • 1348 Posts

i have a sandisk 2gb usb thumb drive that i put a few songs on in a folder labeled 'MUSIC'

why wont my ps3 recognize is. it is formated FAT32. it wount even pop up at all like it isnt even plugged in. the light on the little usb drive comes on so i know it is plugged in all the way.

help would be appreciated.

djHaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 djHaQ
Member since 2005 • 1872 Posts

On the drive, under the music menu, hit triangle and select display all.

Unless the drive doesn't even appear there?
skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 skrillalover
yeah the drive doesnt even appear there, cant think of anything else to do?
anewperfectday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 anewperfectday
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
Bad memory stick?
shakycurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 shakycurl
Member since 2003 • 989 Posts
the same thing happens to me 2! like my ps3 reads burned cds, dvds, and digital cameras. but for some strange reason it wont read my flash drive..... i dunno y
skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skrillalover
works in my computer, works in my sisters computer, but wont work in my ps3, i just cant figure it out. it is Fat32, i have 4 mp3 files in a folder labeled MUSIC. why wont it work!?!
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

Try restarting your PS3 with the thumbdrive already plugged in. Sometimes USB devices don't auto-detect and you need to restart. Forget about the music for now, does it even see the drive??

Also is your thumbdrive a secure drive? Or does it have any kind've proprietary software on it?

skrillalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrillalover
i figured it out, thanks for the help though. it had a partition. so once i got rid of that worked perfectly.
bizzle1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bizzle1983
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
hi im wondering why i cant connect up my camera to my ps3. its a enova cam dont know wether ya heard of it or not, its says unrecognised device inserted but cant view photos, is my cam not supported by ps3 ya think? any advice appreciated thanks. andy
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
hi im wondering why i cant connect up my camera to my ps3. its a enova cam dont know wether ya heard of it or not, its says unrecognised device inserted but cant view photos, is my cam not supported by ps3 ya think? any advice appreciated thanks. andybizzle1983
just to make sure when you plug it in you aren't getting anything? Otherwise it will show up as a usb device under your photos icon. Then just goto it click the triangle button then click either display all or copy. Let me know if that doesn't work
bizzle1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bizzle1983
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
thats sorted now thanks a lot, im trying to get a pic on pes09 but the resolution is too high and my camera is not letting me customise the resolution for the picture takings??? any ideas? wat is the photo option when your online?
xuimod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 xuimod
Member since 2003 • 841 Posts
u partitioned a usb thumb drive? LOL, who the hell does that? (besides u that is)
hasodi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hasodi
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
guess you never heard of sandisk drives coming with u3...
duttaluri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 duttaluri
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Thank you Somuch I was having the issue with USB recognized but saying No tracks. Your solution of hitting the triangle and selecting display all really worked. When i hit the triangle the display all is already Highlighted. that means it was in that Mode previously right? But when i reconfirmed it it worked. The solution si so simle but when not known, this took my brians out of me!!! THANK YOU SOMUCH for clearing this out!!! Have a great day Duttaluri
whitewatersky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whitewatersky
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
thanks SO MUCH for that info about the triangle button. simple, but i was doing my head in! all good now! mucho obliged!
ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShangTsung17
Member since 2011 • 839 Posts

Thank you Somuch I was having the issue with USB recognized but saying No tracks. Your solution of hitting the triangle and selecting display all really worked. When i hit the triangle the display all is already Highlighted. that means it was in that Mode previously right? But when i reconfirmed it it worked. The solution si so simle but when not known, this took my brians out of me!!! THANK YOU SOMUCH for clearing this out!!! Have a great day Duttaluriduttaluri
this is BS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm having the same exact problem! HIT TRIANGLE ON WHAT??? i hit triangle IT DOES NOTHING!!! what are u people talking about hit triangle select all??? please for the love of **** somebody tell me!

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

[QUOTE="duttaluri"]Thank you Somuch I was having the issue with USB recognized but saying No tracks. Your solution of hitting the triangle and selecting display all really worked. When i hit the triangle the display all is already Highlighted. that means it was in that Mode previously right? But when i reconfirmed it it worked. The solution si so simle but when not known, this took my brians out of me!!! THANK YOU SOMUCH for clearing this out!!! Have a great day DuttaluriShangTsung17

this is BS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm having the same exact problem! HIT TRIANGLE ON WHAT??? i hit triangle IT DOES NOTHING!!! what are u people talking about hit triangle select all??? please for the love of **** somebody tell me!

What format is your drive? Ps3 only reads fat32
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

What format is your drive? Ps3 only reads fat32MethodManFTW

4yr old topic...

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]What format is your drive? Ps3 only reads fat32GTR12

4yr old topic...

Yeah I know.. The dude just asked a question a minute ago though.. Just here to help. :)
ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShangTsung17

[QUOTE="ShangTsung17"]

[QUOTE="duttaluri"]Thank you Somuch I was having the issue with USB recognized but saying No tracks. Your solution of hitting the triangle and selecting display all really worked. When i hit the triangle the display all is already Highlighted. that means it was in that Mode previously right? But when i reconfirmed it it worked. The solution si so simle but when not known, this took my brians out of me!!! THANK YOU SOMUCH for clearing this out!!! Have a great day DuttaluriMethodManFTW

What format is your drive? Ps3 only reads fat32

not sure but here's the thing, i know it works on my ps3 because i've used it many times, i've still got a save for xmen wolverine that i copied years ago, plus a bunch of borderlands saves, it works.. awhile back i put my settings back to default in an attempt to get bioshock to quit freezing, dunno if thats got anything to do with it.. like i told ya a few days ago i wanted to copy a save of batman ac, well i beat the game the other night, but when i went to copy the save on there my freakin usb wouldn't show up, the key lights up and everything just won't show up on screen.. and pressing triangle does nothing, haven't seen any *display all* option anywhere and beleave me i've searched.. could really use some help with this..

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MethodManFTW
If you reformatted your drive on your computer that probably reverted it to NTFS, which the PS3 can't read.. If that's the case you'd need to download some software to format it to fat32..
ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShangTsung17

If you reformatted your drive on your computer that probably reverted it to NTFS, which the PS3 can't read.. If that's the case you'd need to download some software to format it to fat32..MethodManFTW
ok, so what software do i download to format it to fat32? oh and btw also for some reason it only shows up in device manger under disk drives, i've even changed the letter and it still won't show up! :roll:

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GTR12

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]If you reformatted your drive on your computer that probably reverted it to NTFS, which the PS3 can't read.. If that's the case you'd need to download some software to format it to fat32..ShangTsung17

ok, so what software do i download to format it to fat32? oh and btw also for some reason it only shows up in device manger under disk drives, i've even changed the letter and it still won't show up! :roll:

Thats cos you havent assigned it as a new disk, you need to right click and create new disk on the USB drive.

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShangTsung17

[QUOTE="ShangTsung17"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"]If you reformatted your drive on your computer that probably reverted it to NTFS, which the PS3 can't read.. If that's the case you'd need to download some software to format it to fat32..GTR12

Thats cos you havent assigned it as a new disk, you need to right click and create new disk on the USB drive.

how exactely do ya do that? also it worked fine before and i hadn't done that, why would it start giving me problems now?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR12

how exactely do ya do that? also it worked fine before and i hadn't done that, why would it start giving me problems now?

ShangTsung17

I cant answer that question, you were using the USB, maybe a virus corrupted it, or when you formatted, it stuffed up in between and froze, anything could have happened.

Are you sure it is not showing up in my computer? tried different USB slot and all?

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShangTsung17

[QUOTE="ShangTsung17"]

GTR12

I cant answer that question, you were using the USB, maybe a virus corrupted it, or when you formatted, it stuffed up in between and froze, anything could have happened.

Are you sure it is not showing up in my computer? tried different USB slot and all?

yup, it will not show up under *my computer* however if i right click my computer and go to *manage* then *disk drives* it shows up there, i've used this to change the assign letter an all, still nothing.. i've even uninstalled it and re-installed and it still won't show up.. freakin weird.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GTR12

At the bottom of that manage, it should be listed as USB drive or whatever, and have a black outline in the picture bit, right click and select new simple volume.

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShangTsung17

At the bottom of that manage, it should be listed as USB drive or whatever, and have a black outline in the picture bit, right click and select new simple volume.

GTR12

i right clicked on that black box, nothing came up, it didn't give me any options..

ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShangTsung17

GTR12

got a better idea though.. take a look at a thread i posted entitled *got an idea! somebody tell me if this will work???* and tell me what you think.. i may have found a much better, easier way to keep playing through new game plus on batman ac.. cause this is the only reason i'm so pissed about my usb not showing up..

ShayanJamil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShayanJamil123
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have sorta the same problem exept with a flash drive USB stick. I Load the files onto the USB and when i open the USB folder on the PS3, it says,''No Data Saved.'' Even though i loaded 3 files onto the USB someone help me please..
ll-BuBbLeS-ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ll-BuBbLeS-ll
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I need Help!! I have a hack for mw3 itz aimbot but when i go to saved data and click on my flash drive it wont show it says not data save on it.!! what do i do?
ll-BuBbLeS-ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ll-BuBbLeS-ll
Couyld u help me?
john574358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 john574358
i have a sandisk and i cnt see the files i put on it in the saved data utility ... it shows the device bt it says its nothing on it
lotusclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lotusclown
Member since 2008 • 229 Posts

this is a really common problem with the ps3.. same here, i can't use a usb device cause the system won't reconise it..