PS3 is not reading my disc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ROLLTIDE06 (60 posts) -
So, my brother was playing MLB the Show and the game froze up on him. Now, my PS3 won't play any of my games, movies or music CDs. I'm a new owner and I'm just trying to figure out what is going on ... Thanks.
#2 Posted by BrettB7400 (3401 posts) -
Did you try talking to Sony first?
#3 Posted by ROLLTIDE06 (60 posts) -

No, it just happened. I imagine they aren't available at the moment

#4 Posted by BrettB7400 (3401 posts) -
Well, wait like 20-30 minutes later and try it again. If not, I would call Sony first thing tomorrow.
#5 Posted by ROLLTIDE06 (60 posts) -
Cool, thanks
#6 Posted by 420Token420 (5173 posts) -

No, it just happened. I imagine they aren't available at the moment

ROLLTIDE06

I'm sure they are 24/7 ..

#7 Posted by ROLLTIDE06 (60 posts) -
I couldn't find a 24/7 hotline. Oh well. I did read some more on the problem, though. My system isn't recognizing the disc. It has the disc loading icon in the top right corner, but that's it. I don't know if I played it too long or what. Hopefully I won't have to send my system in, but it doesn't look promising.
#9 Posted by abdelmessih101 (5230 posts) -
Well, good luck with Sony.
#10 Posted by warbmxjohn (6014 posts) -
I couldn't find a 24/7 hotline. Oh well. I did read some more on the problem, though. My system isn't recognizing the disc. It has the disc loading icon in the top right corner, but that's it. I don't know if I played it too long or what. Hopefully I won't have to send my system in, but it doesn't look promising. ROLLTIDE06
Sony playstation home page has contact info available and yes its 24/7.. I had this problem over a year ago. Back up your save data and prepare to either send in your console or be effed over if your warranty is expired. :(
#11 Posted by Pezhead (108 posts) -

I know I am not sony but I had this problem about a year ago. Save your data externally and go to the menu. You have to reset your PS3 to factory settings. It worked for me. This is basically going to reset your entire PS3 back to when you first bought it.

Just a side note, this happened to me after I left my PS3 on to charge my controller. After I came back an hour later it wouldn't read any discs.

#12 Posted by joeywiz (188 posts) -
this same problem and it also happened while I was playing MLB The Show. Everything else works fine on the system. It just doesn't recognize disks. I contacted Sony and I am waiting to hear back from them via email. I just managed to fall under the warranty.
#13 Posted by Pezhead (108 posts) -

this same problem and it also happened while I was playing MLB The Show. Everything else works fine on the system. It just doesn't recognize disks. I contacted Sony and I am waiting to hear back from them via email. I just managed to fall under the warranty.joeywiz

You know, now that I think about it, when mine stopped reading disc's MLB The Show was in my PS3.

#14 Posted by Treflis (13085 posts) -
Have you tried putting it in the right way?
#15 Posted by joeywiz (188 posts) -
I think I was just quiting a game of The Show and my screen went blank and the system shut off and then turned back on real quickly. After that, No disk recognition. Luckily, it would still insert and eject disks. I get no disk reading icon in the top right though. My system does not even make a noise like it is running when you insert the disk. Silence. I sent my email to Sony on Friday night and they said they would email me on how to send in my PS3. Nothing yet, but it was a holiday weekend. I did get a email from UPS yesterday though saying that a package weighing 4 lbs. is scheduled to be delivered to me on Thursday. I didn't order anything. I am wondering if they already sent me a replacement console?
#16 Posted by ROLLTIDE06 (60 posts) -

Well, I'm gonna have to go buy a memory card. Luckily, I just bought the system so I don't have much saved material. I'm going to reset my PS3 to factory settings after that and then call Sony if that doesn't work. Thanks for the input!

#17 Posted by bigburd (1281 posts) -

I think I was just quiting a game of The Show and my screen went blank and the system shut off and then turned back on real quickly. After that, No disk recognition. Luckily, it would still insert and eject disks. I get no disk reading icon in the top right though. My system does not even make a noise like it is running when you insert the disk. Silence. I sent my email to Sony on Friday night and they said they would email me on how to send in my PS3. Nothing yet, but it was a holiday weekend. I did get a email from UPS yesterday though saying that a package weighing 4 lbs. is scheduled to be delivered to me on Thursday. I didn't order anything. I am wondering if they already sent me a replacement console?joeywiz

probably just a box, the PS3 weighs at least 15 lbs., but then you put the PS3 in the box and send it in

#18 Posted by joeywiz (188 posts) -
Yeah, you are probably right. That thing is kind of heavy. Just wishful thinking.
#19 Posted by patriots7672 (3249 posts) -
Clean your discs with glass cleaner.
#20 Posted by siven300 (25 posts) -

lol@ clean with glass cleaner:Sdoent do it or u brake ur game.

its a disc read error u can google it.and u see it happaned with many people.

only solution is send it to warranty and wait for a new one.

my ps3 went down with red light blinking:(

its is same like xbox got RROD:S

#21 Posted by Pezhead (108 posts) -

Well, I'm gonna have to go buy a memory card. Luckily, I just bought the system so I don't have much saved material. I'm going to reset my PS3 to factory settings after that and then call Sony if that doesn't work. Thanks for the input!

ROLLTIDE06

Let me know how it turned out. I know restoring factory default worked for me.

#22 Posted by ROLLTIDE06 (60 posts) -
I restored it to factory default and unfortunately it didn't work :( Sony has a box on the way and I'll be back to playing PS3 games within 2 weeks hopefully.
#23 Posted by Pezhead (108 posts) -
Sorry to hear that. Good luck!
#24 Posted by RobertHorry5 (42 posts) -

Yeah, We wish your PS3 a speedy recovery! (PS3 errors are seriously way more rare than 360's but doesn't mean that they are clean from technical difficulties every so often)

#25 Posted by ROLLTIDE06 (60 posts) -
Yeah, I owned a 360 and recently switched to a PS3 only to have that happen. I feel pretty good that the PS3 can't be as defective as 360s. Anyway, thanks for the input guys.
#26 Posted by buddahratt (25 posts) -
I was playing little big planet and my game looked like it got stuck loading a level.So iturned off my system, after that it would not read any of my ps3 games.I read in the forum that some guy had same problembut he tried a dvd disc in his system and his ps3 read the disc.So he just quick reformated and his ps3 read his blue ray disc again.I did the same thing, tried a dvd movie and it worked i backed up my game data preformed a quick system restore to the systems original state, then i restored my back up data on my ps3 and my ps3 read my ps3 games again. hope this hels it may be an os error rather than a bad laser.Try insertinga dvd and see if it plays, if it does all u may need is system restore.