PS3 hard drive to read on a PC???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts

Can i hook up a PS3 hard drive to a PC to retrieve data or do i have to format the hard drive in some way before it can be read on the PC? My 60gb PS3 recently got the YLOD and I had a lot of game saves of PS1 - PS3 games on there and I would like to retrieve them. I know if i hook up the hard drive to another ps3 it'll ask me to format it which in turn will delete everything because each PS3 hard drive is encrypted to work to its original console before reformatting. So my question is...can anyone help me retrieve my game save data and possibly any other data on the hard drive?

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
You will not be able to pull data off the HDD. Your computer, even linux systems like mine, cannot use the hdd without formatting. Once you remove the hdd, it must be formatted, even when you put it back into the original system.
Blastasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Blastasaurus
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
You will not be able to pull data off the HDD. Your computer, even linux systems like mine, cannot use the hdd without formatting. Once you remove the hdd, it must be formatted, even when you put it back into the original system.budboarder
Umm, wrong actually. Your PS3 will not reformat it's hard drive if it has previously been removed. It will reformat any hard drive it does not recognise, however, which is usaully anything but it's own. The hard drive is somehow married to console, it must be allocated a unique marker. I suspect it's the "System Name" found in the "System Settings" of your PS3's XMB (Xross Media Bar). Unfortunately, without the dead PS3 working there is no way of finding it's system name, changing another PS3 to the same name and seeing if it can access the dead PS3's hard drive. The only way i can imagine retrieving the data would be to find some way of reading the dead PS3's hard drive, decrypted enough to recognise individual game save data files, copy the files and then dump them into your "Saved Data Utility". I know people are making progress with decrypting the PS3 encryption but to date no-one has successfully been able to do this. I, like many, have recently had a CECHC02 unit (launch day, original 60 gig model) die on me, effectively locking all my game save data away from me. Being as lazy as I am, the last back up i performed was about 6 months previous and now i'm faced with the decision of do i: 1.find a way to transplant the data from my dead PS3 to my working PS3, 2.find a way to allow my working PS3 to recognise the hard drive of the dead PS3, or 3.start again. The last option is out of the question, it's not an alternative, so much as what i'll do if i some how erase the data or loose the hard drive. So now there's about 20 games in my collection which i'm scared to touch for fear of having to re-do the same thing once i can access my lost data again. I'm guessing by now you have already reformatted that hard drive but if you haven't i'll let you know how i go. I must find a way, i won't stop until i have that data so when i find a way, i'll share the wealth. Untill then, if your data is still intact, keep it in a safe place.
zoddan269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zoddan269
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I too have this vexed problem, I will be on a none stop mission for the way of getting my damn data back....unite and stand strong
Eric_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eric_one
I have this product that is called the USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter kit and tried it today with my ps3 hard drive on the computer and didn't work. This tool basically makes your hard drives on the fly jump drives so I figured I would give it a shot since I already own the product. When I purchase my ps3 slim I will see if I can restore data off of my old HD with this tool, on the ps3 . I sure hope it works because my ps3 ylod on me while I was backing up my data... And when I went inside, the ribbon cable connector on my mother board was cracked and shattered when I flipped it up.. no more blu ray drive, well anyways... If anyone else has this or tried this I would like to know if I am on the right path on getting my saved game data back.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
You will not be able to pull data off the HDD. Your computer, even linux systems like mine, cannot use the hdd without formatting. Once you remove the hdd, it must be formatted, even when you put it back into the original system.budboarder
Thats not true
Avatar image for PHATDUDESUPREMZ
PHATDUDESUPREMZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PHATDUDESUPREMZ
Member since 2005 • 83 Posts

has anyone found a way to get their data from the old hard drive on to the computer or the new ps3 without lossing all that hard work ?

CHROMEFLAMIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CHROMEFLAMIN
Member since 2005 • 1902 Posts
Not true
roto8car

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 roto8car
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="budboarder"]You will not be able to pull data off the HDD. Your computer, even linux systems like mine, cannot use the hdd without formatting. Once you remove the hdd, it must be formatted, even when you put it back into the original system.jeremiah06
Thats not true

Hey, I have a 1st gen 80gb ps3 that I upgraded to 320gb hitatchi. I have so much of my own crap on this drive that I don't want to give up. I think I can at least re-download all of my rockband purchases and all of that. But what about my pics and music? The stupid XMB would never let you "shuffle" your music if you streamed from a nas. I'm so pissed at sony right now. the least they could do is make the damn drive hot-swappable. Can anyone help me?
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

has anyone found a way to get their data from the old hard drive on to the computer or the new ps3 without lossing all that hard work ?

PHATDUDESUPREMZ
you could ghost/clone the drive but it will still need to be formatted when you put it into your ps3
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

So again, we're at the point of 'has anyone done it successfully' round of questioning.....

I recently suffered an similar devastating setback when my system of about 4 yrs truly dead. The thing w/ me is I actually have a partially recent backup done of the stuff on my ps3 on an external (ironically I had it done for an entirely different reason....to get around to upgrading my HDD). But as I stated the more recent things I've done are not on it but rahter on the HDD I've got pulled out of my system.

I figure once I get a new system I could take the old backup & transfer it, at least that MAY get my new system somewhere near where the old one used to be. But what I want the most (which I'm realistically not aiming high for much...) is to try & retrieve some more recently saved game data to at least save me from the headache of feeling like I gotta claw from scratch....:(

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

Same problem here. I love my PS3, but it's given me some grief over the last year or so. My first PS3 purchased over 2 years ago (80GB MGS4 bundle model) got the YLOD. Luckily, I could see the signs of it coming, so I backed up what saves I could (a few were copy-protected). Thankfully I had purchased a Product Replacement Plan when I bought my PS3 through Best Buy and got a brand new 250GB Slim as a free replacement.

So I went through the process of reloading all my backed up saves as well as putting all my music, photos, and videos back on. All was right with the world.

Fast forward to about a month or two ago. After the outage, I had 40-50 trophies to sync. One of those was the Dead Space 2 Platinum. I never synced, because I was gonna get the DS1 Plat first then sync both. I hadn't backed up my newest saves since this was a new PS3. For reasons unbeknownst to me, after a night of playing I went to turn on my PS3. No sound. Black screen. Not good. After doing your standard Recovery Menu options I find out that my HDD is corrupted. Fantastic. Not only did I not back up any saves I had since I got my new PS3 within the last few months, but I never synced my trophies.

I said "Screw it" and circumvented the problem for now. Bought a new 500GB Seagate HDD from New Egg. I pulled the old HDD and set it aside for safe keeping. When I get the chance, I'm gonna try this. Note: This is the only viable option I've found that isn't simply "Get a new hard drive" or "Format it."

http://ericburns.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/the-hard-disks-file-system-is-corrupted-and-will-be-restored-ps3/

einzfunf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 einzfunf
Member since 2009 • 69 Posts

i have an idea.... there is a hdd docking station that you can buy from jaycar electronics that u plug the ps3's hdd into [it's about $60] and then you can retrieve your stuff........ the hdd docking station can read conventional drives from other computers [3.5"] including ps3 hdd's [which are 2.5"]. there are two models, one has two hdd slots and the other has one.hope this helps.

einzfunf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 einzfunf
Member since 2009 • 69 Posts
{http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4690&keywords=hdd+docking+station&form=KEYWORD} see this link at jaycar.com.au to see the docking station.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
There's nothing on that hard drive you really need, if it was important it would've been backed up twice. The stuff you paid for is tied to your account, not your hard drive, so just redownload on your new PS3... *OR* if you're not planning on sending yours back to Sony then fix it yourself. There's a million great tuts out there.
andymitchelluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 andymitchelluk

i have an idea.... there is a hdd docking station that you can buy from jaycar electronics that u plug the ps3's hdd into [it's about $60] and then you can retrieve your stuff........ the hdd docking station can read conventional drives from other computers [3.5"] including ps3 hdd's [which are 2.5"]. there are two models, one has two hdd slots and the other has one.hope this helps.

einzfunf
Unfortunately the data on the drive is not readable by most computers at the moment so doing this is pointless. It can be read on one or 2 variants of Linux BUT the filetypes used are PS3 specific, so again, it's pointless. Pretty much when your PS3 dies, you lose the data on the drive. Putting the PS3 hard drive in another PS3 will result in it being formatted, as the PS3 generates a unique hardware key for it's internal drive to avoid drive cloning (and therefore mass piracy). After 5 years no one has managed to crack the PS3 file system and I don't think it will happen anytime soon either.
JPKaos84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JPKaos84
Using a HD docking station I took the old HD from my broken PS3 and was able to transfer my trophies to my slim but as for game data is concerned still no luck using a docking station.
MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts
Using a HD docking station I took the old HD from my broken PS3 and was able to transfer my trophies to my slim but as for game data is concerned still no luck using a docking station. JPKaos84
Transfer trophies? Not trying to be rude but trophies aren't related to what hard drive you're using in any way. You could buy a brand new ps3 and all you would need to do is sign in and it would sync all of your trophies; they are stored online. Sources: Personal experience.
Dope-E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dope-E
Has anyone figured out how to get data off their PS3 HDD to their PC with a YOLD'd system without formatting yet? I'm gonna try this program called Recuva that I downloaded from Filehippo and I'll let you know how I fair. If anyone else has tried this or another like way please let me know, Thnx.
MrRaziel11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrRaziel11
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

Has anyone figured out how to get data off their PS3 HDD to their PC with a YOLD'd system without formatting yet? I'm gonna try this program called Recuva that I downloaded from Filehippo and I'll let you know how I fair. If anyone else has tried this or another like way please let me know, Thnx.Dope-E

I have my original Metal gear solid 80gb ps3 Unit YLOD on me a few months back..i was faced with the same situation. Too much work invested to stared fresh..i am hear to tell you that i have successfully retrieved my data from the ylod data and put the game saves on my NEW UNIT. I have one word for you fellas REFLOW.....this is something that you will have to do to get your data up until NOW. NO OTHER WAY TO GET DATA EXIST NOW.REFLOWED the ylod unit to get that data off

DJ_Redline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 DJ_Redline
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts

It won't help you now, but showing how little faith I have in PS3's I regularly copied all save files to a usb flash drive. As luck would have it, just hours after the last time I copied to the flash drive my PS3 got the wonderful YLOD. I put the PS3 in my backyard on the picnic table, and shot it with my 303 rifle lol. Blew it to shreds! Buying a new one Boxing Day though possibly :)

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

so your all telling in this day and age where harddrives are the norm, that if my ps3 breaks after all the hardwork, that will have to start again and i cannot take the harddrive and get the information off it, that has to be false, police do it all the time with hard drives out of computers so there has to be a way, surely. surely sony thought about the possibility of them breaking and data on the hdd getting it off

DJ_Redline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 DJ_Redline
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts

Honestly I think your best bet would be to maybe call customer service and see what they can do for you. There is always a way to get information off your hard drive, I doubt they would screw over customers by not having some sort of fail-safe in place for when things like this happen. I bet they could walk you through something

MrRaziel11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrRaziel11
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

Honestly I think your best bet would be to maybe call customer service and see what they can do for you. There is always a way to get information off your hard drive, I doubt they would screw over customers by not having some sort of fail-safe in place for when things like this happen. I bet they could walk you through something

DJ_Redline

there is NO WAY man. i called them and asked those exact questions. Only thing You can do is is become a ps plus member where they can back you save files up online, BUT that must be done BEFOFE you ever catch the ylod. So prior to ylod if you dont have psPLUS you are screwed

spinklerook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spinklerook
I have had the same problem as my 1st gen 60GB PS3 has recently gone YLOD on me :( :( ....after trying twice to reflow the solder on the motherboard myself (the first one buying me enough time only to extract my Skyrim disc!), I have have handed the console over to someone more experienced who is having no luck as of yet :/ ...i had wrongly assumed that as long as the hard drive was intact that i would be able to retrieve my data, apparently not! Like many of you I am unwilling to simply give up and start everything over, so you can consider me the newest recruit to this noble cause! We MUST find a solution!!
micwithoutthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 micwithoutthek
Okay so im about to give up. I have a WORKING playstation 3. its a slim 160 gb model. Now i did the stupid thing and hooked the hard drive up to my computer. After i did thet i initialized it and it made it into am MBR boot format. Now when i plug it in it wants to format. The hard drive works but i wanted to back up, and i screwed up and didnt read first. Can anyone tell me the format it needs to be like GUID or MBR or another boot record to get it to boot? If you did it would be a life saver. I Have over 200 hours of skyrim play and i didnt want to lose it, and now i might. Not good. Any thoughts?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#27 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Okay so im about to give up. I have a WORKING playstation 3. its a slim 160 gb model. Now i did the stupid thing and hooked the hard drive up to my computer. After i did thet i initialized it and it made it into am MBR boot format. Now when i plug it in it wants to format. The hard drive works but i wanted to back up, and i screwed up and didnt read first. Can anyone tell me the format it needs to be like GUID or MBR or another boot record to get it to boot? If you did it would be a life saver. I Have over 200 hours of skyrim play and i didnt want to lose it, and now i might. Not good. Any thoughts?micwithoutthek

Don't bump old threads, please. Thanks.