PS3 GB space question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bleedvideogames
bleedvideogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bleedvideogames
Member since 2010 • 742 Posts

i have a 120gb slim and if i goto system info it was i have 111gb, so the 9gb is for the operating stsyem and pre installed stuff i figure.

but it says i have 76/111gb free. i only have like 5 games on it and a few demos, does that really take up 35gb's of space?

and i looked through the games and the biggest one is Batman: AA at 3287mb. kinda wondering where all the other space went

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts
By 5 games you mean downloads, correct? If you have any disc-based games like MGS4 or Bioshock, that may be the case; games like those have mandatory installs (respectively 7 and 5 gigs for those games) What games do you have on your system?
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Be aware that computers calculate capacity based on 1024 bytes/kilobyte, while the hard drive calculation is based on 1000 instead of 1024. Hard drive manufacturers define a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes, which is a decimal measurement. Computers define a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes, which is a binary measurement. So the 111 GB that is mentioned is actually 120 GB in hard drive manufacturer speak, you nevel lost 9 GB... you just never had it in the first place. And finally hell yes some of the demos/buffer files for PS3 are insanely large. :)
bleedvideogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bleedvideogames

By 5 games you mean downloads, correct? If you have any disc-based games like MGS4 or Bioshock, that may be the case; games like those have mandatory installs (respectively 7 and 5 gigs for those games) What games do you have on your system?0Hamburgher

all dics based, Batman AA, Uncharted 2, MAG, MOH, GOW collection, infamous and LBP (download). i guess it is what it is, i guess they take up more space than i tought. Batman is the biggest install by far

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Demos can take up massive ammounts of space, so can those game installs. LBP's probably a big download. Don't worry about it. I bought a 500GB harddrive for $60 and it took me about five minutes to swap them out. The longest part of the process is backing up your data.

bleedvideogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bleedvideogames

Demos can take up massive ammounts of space, so can those game installs. LBP's probably a big download. Don't worry about it. I bought a 500GB harddrive for $60 and it took me about five minutes to swap them out. The longest part of the process is backing up your data.

TSNAKE617

Batman was the biggest install and LBP is lik 2400mg but thats fine cause its a full game. i guess ill just delete stuff if i need to. i dont have a huge collection so its nothing i have to worry about yet

Under games, the game utility thing is that where it shows the installs? cause i can always uninstall/delete games i dont play

Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Easyle
Member since 2010 • 2034 Posts

[QUOTE="0Hamburgher"]By 5 games you mean downloads, correct? If you have any disc-based games like MGS4 or Bioshock, that may be the case; games like those have mandatory installs (respectively 7 and 5 gigs for those games) What games do you have on your system?bleedvideogames

all dics based, Batman AA, Uncharted 2, MAG, MOH, GOW collection, infamous and LBP (download). i guess it is what it is, i guess they take up more space than i tought. Batman is the biggest install by far

Batman is huge installation.. but worth it. I think you would agree. :P