PS3 freezing up way too much

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xcaliber26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Xcaliber26
Member since 2008 • 218 Posts

I am having a major problem with my 40gig Playstation 3. It has been freezing up on me alot lately while just sitting on the XMB or in a game.

During a game it will just freeze everything up the game and the controller. During the XMB it will freeze up everything as well. I have kinda narrowed it down to that my PS3 might be overheating. Because there is a massive amount of heat coming out the back of my PS3. I have plenty of room for my PS3 to breathe and my PS3 is dust free.

I am thinking about getting a Intercooler and seeing if that stops my problem but I have heard alot of bad things about those products. Does anyone here have one attached to their PS3?

Also sending my PS3 into sony is out of the question and it is not even a option for me.

Kaine666_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Kaine666_2
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
why not? and if your still in warranty and you dont do it, your an idiot sorry dude
Xcaliber26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xcaliber26

why not? and if your still in warranty and you dont do it, your an idiot sorry dudeKaine666_2

I am not gonna wait for a box, then wait for it to be shipped, then wait for it to get fixed, then wait for it to get shipped back to me. When I expect my stuff to work properly in the first place!!!!!!

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

TC, if your PS3 is freezing up, here's what you do...

Turn off the power....then turn it back on. OMG it's a miracle! Look, games/systems freezing up has been in video gaming since the franchise started. No system is perfect, and will eventually run into it's own problems (depending on how long that is).

However, if all you are complaiing about is the PS3 freezing up every so often ,I think you should really look into what other console owners are dealing with (RRoD and duel-layered Wii disks...).

Dongalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Dongalos
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
how long have you owned it?

make sure there's room for it to breathe on all sides, not just the back
itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

May be you play on it too long and make sure you game disk don't have smudges and finger prints on them.

Xcaliber26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xcaliber26

how long have you owned it?

make sure there's room for it to breathe on all sides, not just the backDongalos

I have owned it since febuary. There is enough room on all sides for it to breathe. There is just alot of heat coming out the back of the system.

Xcaliber26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xcaliber26

May be you play on it too long and make sure you game disk don't have smudges and finger prints on them.

itwiz90

It's definitely not a disc problem

Losarii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Losarii
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts

Some of these comments are just rude. I expected better from the Playstation community, not very friendly at all.

Now as for your problem, I'm sorry to say that your best bet will be to send it back to Sony. The reason being that this may be a more serious problem. You may find a quick fix but the problem may arise once again. You do not want that problem to arise once the warranty period is over. The warranty is a free service, use it.

ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
I have the 60gig. It too has been starting to freeze up. I got bout month after launch. No games have fingerprints or smudges. I would say its just overheating though. I play mad hours of cod4 on weekends and watch movies during week. Dont get the cooler, not worth it. I would just call customer service on this one. Cuz i just realize mine freezes during cod4 and online stuff only. Never had a prob watching a movie or just in the xmb.
StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts
i used to have a problem like that, not that serious but in about an hour it would freeze, but somehow the a month after i got it it stoped working, and sony gave me a new one for free, and it doesnt do that any more, although, try putting your ps3 on its side and away from the ground as possible, also dont buy a intercooler for the ps3, it is a waste of money, 30$ down the drain, puting it on its side is just as good, and if that dosnt work call sony up, thier cool!
Dongalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Dongalos
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
does it freeze if you have no disc in the drive?

Dinakdakan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dinakdakan
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts
maybe it's just defective
Kaine666_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Kaine666_2
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts

yes they seem rude, but he expects a miracle fix, maybe everyone does, nobody wants to send there console in and wait, but thats life, and its better to get it fixed for free then pay for it right?

take advantage of your warranty while you have it, cuz you will miss it when its gone

TrueAmerican5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TrueAmerican5
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Turn off the power....then turn it back on. OMG it's a miracle! Look, games/systems freezing up has been in video gaming since the franchise started. No system is perfect, and will eventually run into it's own problems (depending on how long that is).

However, if all you are complaiing about is the PS3 freezing up every so often ,I think you should really look into what other console owners are dealing with (RRoD and duel-layered Wii disks...).

xYamatox
I do that all the time, yet it still freezes like everyday, so your no help.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 daftdog
Member since 2003 • 910 Posts

i had the same problem, turned out to be the graphics card and had to get a new ps3 from sony. give them a call.

lrsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lrsp
Member since 2005 • 769 Posts
This happens to my 60 gig PS3 from 2007. I have narrowed my problem not to overheating, but to a bad harddrive. I have noticed that games that are cached or have any gamedata stored on the harddrive freeze much more often than games that run straight off the disk like Blacksite Area 51. So I plan to upgrade my harddrive and hope that fixes my problem. I believe that during shipping some punk probably dropped my box continuously, all the way to Ohio. Anyway, you should consider the possibility you're harddrive is messed up. It is also interesting to point out that none of my PS2 games ever froze on the PS3 even when I played them for 3-4 hours straight so I dought heat has anything to do with it.
Artemios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Artemios
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
Bottom line guys...just send the console to Sony, they'll fix it and send it back to you in 10-14 working days. They say that they will either repair the console or send you a brand new one. Mine had a problem of not playing games or movies, and I sent it to sony, got it back, perfect and has no problems what so ever. So yeah, just send it back to Sony and your problem will cease to exist :)
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts
It could be the game, some of them are extremely buggy. Are you playing Assassin's Creed or Oblivion, by any chance ?
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
Same here.My first 40GB PS3 broke in less than a year, the touch panel wasn't working property, very frequently it didn't turn on and off until i tried a lot of times, the same with the eject button. I sent it to Sony and they sent me another 40GB PS3, the touch panel of this one works perfectly but it froze frequently using the browser and it cant be quit and i cant even access the XrossMediaBar and it have got froze like this after playing online, and wile i was loading a game from the XrossMediaBar it got froze with the screen on blank and with another game after selecting quit it got froze and then restart itself. I think i had bad luck and i'm planning on selling it for $200 dollars on GameStop and buy a new one.I don't wanna have to send it in another box and wait to see if what they send me work and if it give me a problem send it back again.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soulreaper-4

Bottom line guys...just send the console to Sony, they'll fix it and send it back to you in 10-14 working days. They say that they will either repair the console or send you a brand new one. Mine had a problem of not playing games or movies, and I sent it to sony, got it back, perfect and has no problems what so ever. So yeah, just send it back to Sony and your problem will cease to exist :)Artemios

I sent my PS3 and i thought they were gonna send me a brand new console and they sent me a repair unit, not mine and it have been giving problem. I'd called them and they told me to sent it back, after this called and asked them if they could send me a new console and they told me that they only repair your console or anotherone that have been repair. My problem with this repair unit, alot of time it got froze, it happens more when using the browser and even froze the XrosMediaBar.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soulreaper-4
You should call Sony.
Ozzie234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ozzie234
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

xYamatox
My console has frozen once in a year or so (gh3 if I remember right).... it's from Microsoft. :)
Wildedge93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wildedge93
Member since 2007 • 835 Posts

itwiz90

:lol: its a sign saying "Dont play me!!!"

SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
Do NOT get an intercooler. It will make your PS3 even hotter than it is right now. Intercoolers are the biggest waste of money, time, and space. They do not work well and will only hurt your electronics.
Hinduce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hinduce
Member since 2004 • 602 Posts

I have the 60gig. It too has been starting to freeze up. I got bout month after launch. No games have fingerprints or smudges. I would say its just overheating though. I play mad hours of cod4 on weekends and watch movies during week. Dont get the cooler, not worth it. I would just call customer service on this one. Cuz i just realize mine freezes during cod4 and online stuff only. Never had a prob watching a movie or just in the xmb.ez_moneymaker

I just want to say that I feel you frustration. After getting my 1st 60gig after launch it completely black screened on me. then because it wasn't even 6 hours old I brought it back to Best Buy and thankfully they had another 60gig sitting there. So I swooped it. Then after a month of playing it I wanted to show my friend from out of town the power of this beast. At that point it froze. I was so mad. I called Sony and they said to ship it to them. When asked for some type of compensation for my troubles they said no. So I then attempted to bring it back to Best Buy again. Luckily they felt my pain and let me keep the controller that came with it. This time around, 3rd PS3, I have had no problems. I would not send it back to Sony but just go back to where you bought it from. I hope that you didn't buy it from a individual rather then a store. I would never in a million years buy a console from a individual over a store. At least I know that a store has a policy and they would work with me to get my issue resolved (yea Sony is out the picture on that one). But over all I'm very pleased with my PS3 60gig. Since that time I have put that things through a lot and back and its still running strong.

PS... DON'T get that cooler! You don't need it. That device is a waste of anyones money.

RTWLR36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RTWLR36
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

My system has just started freezing recently on games that I have played previously without problems so checked to see if movies froze as well and they do.the disks I am attempting to play are in mint condition so I know that isn't the problem. I called Sony and they told me they know of the problem and that its a $150 dollars to fix it

babzdb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 babzdb
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

agreed i bought a NEW copy or supposdley NEW copy of Drakes and. tried playing it on my PS3 and nearly bricked it. The copy was really scratched and smudged and it was suppose to be new not used. Boy i was MAD. I got a new copy but cost me $20 in gas since i live 50 miles from the nearest game store.

anyways point make sure your disk are clean. And if you buy used really check out what your buying..

itwiz90
WarBird010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WarBird010
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
This may work for you. It worked for me. Go to game icon on the XrossMediaBar (XMB) Select Game Data Utility Find the game title Press triangle, then delete. After deleting the game data, go into safe mode and select option 3 (Restore File system). this step will delete any corrupted data from your system. the information below will assist you in accessing Safe Mode. http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488 I had to does this a couple of times and then I turned the PS3 off for a couple of hours and it is working fine. Played about 2 hours and no freezes.. Hope this will help. JT
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

This is almost a four year old topic mate... please don't revive such old threads..

WarBird010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WarBird010
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
If your PS3 is freezing up try this: Go to the Game Icon on the XrossMediaBar (XMB) Select the game data utility Find the game title. (the one that is freezing up) press triangle, then delete After deleting the game data, go into Safe Mode and select option 3 (restore file system) this step will delete any corrupted data from your system. The information below will assist you in accessing safe mode. http://playstation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488