PS3... For an Interested 360 Owner - Just some questions... No spam.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rosco_robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rosco_robinson
Member since 2004 • 97 Posts

I'm becoming more and more interested in the PS3... Lair really impressives me... Not so much technically, but in the graphics style - The way they'vebuilt the that cinematic slow-mo into turning on whenever the player, well... "Pwns"... It's TRULY next-generation. I love it. The sense of scale is great too... Anyway, questions.

I've never played MGS... What does it play like? Is it really worth buying the system?

Is the interface like the PSP's? Is it cumbersome or rather smooth-working? (I like that Sony went for a certain high-end "look" throughout the PS3's phsycial design for example... but I care about functionality. It's physical apperance is great... Until you actually use it, and it becomes scratched and coated in fingerprints, like my buddy's...Unlike the 360. That's functionality in mind.)

Controllers... Any more ergonomic than the PS2 Dualshock? Just a bit? Versus 360?

Hardware... Especially graphics and memory... Strengths and Weaknesses compared to 360... Admiting any losses.

When, do you think a PS3 game, besides UT3, will surpass Gears? (In order to fully judge "Gears", play on a 42", 1080p Plasma. Itruly still can't believe it... After about 1000 online slaughters.)

True exclusives... Big-name games like Gears or Halo... What's the PS3 have waiting?

Thanks!

simulation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 simulation
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts

I like the interface for the msot part, except for example on the XMB, if you have alot of videos for example, then it takes a few seconds longer to find something but not really.

I'd say the controller is more comfortable then the 360 (yes I have tried both, but not nearly as much as the PS3) sixaxis is pretty cool at times... Their still working on that :)

Yes the PS3 has the potnetial for the best graphics, and its hardware is unsurpassed in reliability, at least in personal experieince. The biggest difference would likely like in online capabilities, paying for live really doesnt give much more besides better content, which takes time to develop, and the PS3 is catching up.

Theres tons of exclusives coming

Lair as you mentioned

Uncharted has really great graphics

MGS 4 looks great, and will probably play just as well

Home the new online service, 3-d environement for PS3 owners (free)

Warhawk will probably turn out to set the stnadard for online multiplayer

Little Big Planet looks interesting

well those are a few of many, I heard that by years end there would be over a hundred titles for the PS3

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Well, to answer your question...

MGs. It's a story-based action-stealth hybrid, and it is an incredibly good series. It has a very devoted fanbase, and things look like the graphics wil be unbelievable. For most PS3 owners, this is a must-buy. No one game is worth buying a console, but MGS is a devinite pro. Look at the game selection for the PS3, and you decide.

The interface is similar to the PSPs. Good, clean, easy to use. Looks very nice.

Controllers are similar to the dualshock, but lighter. I find it excellent. I recommend you go to best buy or wherever and try the controller out. It's really good. About equivalent to the 360, pros and cons. Personal taste thing here.

Hardware is better than the 360s overall. High reliability, powerful Cell CPU and Bluray combine to make this a powerful package. As for the GPU, it's about equivalent to the 360 GPU (228 glops vs 240 gflops) Standard HDD a definite advantage.

As far a a ps3 game surpassing Gears, that's up in the air. MGS4, Killzone, FFXIII, a few others are all candidates. I agree, Gears looks nice, but graphically it'll get mowed down by the next wave of games.

As for true exclusives, the PS3 has dozens right now, more than any other system (i think). FFXIII, Killzone, Uncharted, Lair, Ratchet and Clank, MGS4, White Knight Story, etc, etc, etc, etc....

In the end, look at the pros and cons, research it for oyurself, and decide what you want and in the PS3 offers it. It's a good console and seems to have a good game future. The rest is your call.

aaron5829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 aaron5829
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts
Goddess Of War ;)
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

I'm also a 360 ownerthat has been throwing around the idea of getting a PS3. I'm waiting to hear about the price drop that was just announced and I'm wondering when were going to get rumble in the controller.

Not to thread jack, but if someone can include their opinion while answering the main posters questions.Is the included Blu ray player a quality one? or a cheap one (like the PS2's dvd player). Any other thoughts on the player? THanks.

callen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 callen3
Member since 2005 • 1289 Posts

Currently, there is no reason to get a ps3. Wait until some must-have exclusives are released or the price drops.

anyway, mgs is going be a big game, kind of like a movie. its somewhat similar to splinter cell but not as realistic

I think the interface is cooler looking than the 360's. however, the 360's menu is much more user friendly.

I like the 360's controller betterbecause thats what i am use to; i had a xbox but never had a ps2. Since you never had a ps2 i would assume you will prefer the 360s controller as well. the ps3 controller is the same as the ps2's pretty much but a bit lighter.

I dont know which will have the best graphics and i don't think anyone really knows. all that is clear now is that the 360 is easier to develope for.

not that many games announced yet look that great.

wow - after reading my post i realize that i must not like my ps3 at all..hah

callen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 callen3
Member since 2005 • 1289 Posts
the blu-ray player, to my knowledge, is of equal quality to any blu-ray player.
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deyee
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

I've never played MGS... What does it play like? Is it really worth buying the system?rosco_robinson

MGS is somewhat like Splinter Cell, but not as tactical, it's more about the storyline. The gameplay flows well and has a few funny parts. Search youtube for some funny MGS quotes from MGS3. With that in mind I did not SOLELY purchase a PS3 just to play MGS, that's retarded.

Is the interface like the PSP's? Is it cumbersome or rather smooth-working?rosco_robinson

The interface is like the PSPs. Honestly, personal preference, I don't like it, but it does work. It does work smoothly.

Controllers... Any more ergonomic than the PS2 Dualshock? Just a bit? Versus 360?rosco_robinson

Imagine the Dualshock with crappy L2 and R2 triggers, no rumble, and an extra button in the middle. That's the PS3 controller. I'm waiting for Sony to release a rumble version controller because I know they will. And it SHOULD have both rumble and motion tech.

Hardware... Especially graphics and memory... Strengths and Weaknesses compared to 360... Admiting any losses.rosco_robinson

On PAPER, the PS3 has more processing power, the 360 has more graphics power. I expect Sony developers to take advantage of the PS3s strong points (better AI programming and such). The PS3 fanboys can bite me. Both systems graphics WILL improve and the difference between both consoles will be a moot point.

When, do you think a PS3 game, besides UT3, will surpass Gears? (In order to fully judge "Gears", play on a 42", 1080p Plasma. Itruly still can't believe it... After about 1000 online slaughters.)rosco_robinson

As stated above, graphics freaks are retarded. Both consoles visuals will improve on my 56" 1080p DLP and still I'm building a ground up gaming rig at years end that will surpass all the current consoles. And 5 years from now the next consoles will make this generations graphics look hideous.

True exclusives... Big-name games like Gears or Halo... What's the PS3 have waiting?rosco_robinson

MGS 4, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, another Resistance is coming, there are others on the horizon, but they're in the "iffy" category. The first Killzone SUUUUUCKED, but we'll see how the 2nd one does.

If you're interested in purchasing, I'd wait for MGS to launch then pick one up then. There should be some other games out by then.

vip3r666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 vip3r666
Member since 2005 • 1398 Posts

the blu-ray player, to my knowledge, is of equal quality to any blu-ray player.callen3

actually most critics said that the ps3 blu-ray player surpasses any standalone players in quality

justin_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 justin_06
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts

I will tell you right now, the only con of the PS3 is the lack of RAM. But that will be a moot point when developers start to utilize the standard HDD. The system is great, this fall will own. keep your eye on E3 and make your decision after that.

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 EtherTwilight
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts

I'm also a 360 ownerthat has been throwing around the idea of getting a PS3. I'm waiting to hear about the price drop that was just announced and I'm wondering when were going to get rumble in the controller.joshuarocker

Just so nobody gets the wrong information, there is no imminent price-drop for the Playstation 3, nor have any announcements about a price-drop been made by Sony. As is so ever-popular around here - Link?

Anyway.

Metal Gear Solid? Go read some reviews. :p It'll for sure be a great deal when it's released, for a number of reasons...but it's tough to truly explain if you haven't ever played a MGS game.

The interface is very clean and user-friendly. Unfortunately, it's a bit on the lacking side, although they are continually updating the firmware and adding new features, so it's tough to really knock it too much. Though the 360, currently, is in general more user-friendly in terms of available options and cross-game play and other functionality, some of these issues are currently being taken care, and others are "being worked on," as I've seen many reps say. As to when we'll actually see said features is a whole different story.

The controller? The 360's is better. Though the PS3 controller is light as a feather and responsive, the overall layout of the 360 controller is much more user-friendly and ergonomic. Don't get me wrong - The PS3 controller is comfortable, but it has some problematic design to it - particularly in that the L2/R2 buttons protrude near the bottom, and the two analogs being a little less...I can't think of the word, so I'll say "not as good" as the 360's. Hopefully someone else will fill in for me. :P

Hardware will speak for itself. I don't for a second doubt that we'll see some awesome games insofar as graphical power is concerned, but really, right now about half of the PS3 library is ports or multiplats, so it's really tough to talk about the PS3's exclusivity in its hardware capabilities.

Surpass Gears? Depends on what you mean about Gears. Gears has minor graphical blemishes, some frame-rate issues, and it really depends on if you like certain stylistic elements (e.g. the unrealistic blood spatters), not to mention at times wonky physics. Look at some screenshots for Afrika. Go watch the video for Heavy Rain. Watch the trailer for Metal Gear Solid 4. We'll see.

As for true exclusives? Final Fantasy. Metal Gear Solid. Ratchet & Clank. Heavenly Sword. Lair. White Knight Story (I rarely see this brought up any more). There are plenty more (just do a board search for exclusive, I'm sure you'll find plenty of examples).

junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 junk56
Member since 2003 • 1748 Posts

ok lets start!

MGS is a genre of its own... there really isn't a game like it. It gives you a sense of emergence and suspense whenever you play it... you really ahve to play it to believe how good the game is. I swear the reason why PS2 and PS1 did so good was because MGS1 and MGS2 were on those consoles. Trust me, go get substance for the xbox and play that. Then its your decision if its a good game or not... imo MGS is one of my favorite series.. simply amazing in every way. I bought it because of it.

Interface is almost exactly like the PSP's except theres a lot more settings and videos play 15 second previews when you scroll thru them... It's smooth-working. Easy to use and scan through.. which is all you need for a menu.

My Ps3 isn't scratched or fingerprinted.... your buddy must hug it to sleep every night.

Controllers have slightly smaller analog sticks, wider range for them to move, ALL THE BUTTONS ARE PRESSURE SENSITIVE NOW. R1-R2,X Square etc are all pressure sensitive. Perfect for button mashing, fighting and RPG games. Its a lot lighter than the dualshock and feels great. Its not as ergonomic as teh 360 controller but it works a lot better with everything that isnt a shooter.

Ports look worse on the PS3. Exclusive first gen games already look better than some 360 second to third gen games.

Shrink Lair maps by 500x and you get a game much better looking than Gears. Motorstorm looks just as good as Gears. GTHD looks a gen better than Forza 2.

Wait til E3. Sony will be a showing a lot more than any of the other companies.

Psst. KILLZONE 2

9thwardice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 9thwardice
Member since 2006 • 856 Posts

im not sure how mgs solid plays buti heard its great and that MGS4 will be even better

i personally like the interface is just like the psp's except with more features ofcourse

well i have a ps3 and my brother has a 360 so i play on both all of the time. i like the ps3 controller more compared to 360's imo. and i like the sixaxis just hope they make a rumble controller soon so i can start buying more controllers.

the graphics capability is very high. and the 60gb is enough for me cuz i have more then 100 songs, a downloaded game demos,music videos, naruto, family guy, south park , and chapelle's show episodes, plus a couple of movies and still have34 gb of 60gb.

i like the ps3 online free, internet free, access. also i cant wait to see home on my console

but they dont have xmb to listen while ingame atleats not of yet but is coming soon. i heard theres gonna be somthing like360 achievemts coming soon.i would say they should do better on getting more demos but thats not sony's fault its the people who make the games.( by now we should atlest have RainbowSIX Vegas, lair, or darkness demos.)

well i know how gears looks first hand since my brother and i beat it andplay online. but the ps3 games should be comingup on the lvl of gears(imo lookskinda funny like claydo with good details)

i think the big name exclusives are

MGS4

killzone

ff xiii and vs xiii

uncharted

heavenly sword

little big planet

socom confrontation and socom 4 whenever that comes out

justin_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 justin_06
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts

MGS 4, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, another Resistance is coming, there are others on the horizon, but they're in the "iffy" category. The first Killzone SUUUUUCKED, but we'll see how the 2nd one does.

If you're interested in purchasing, I'd wait for MGS to launch then pick one up then. There should be some other games out by then.

Deyee

I think in terms of Gameplay, Killzone was the most realistic shooter i have ever played. bugs aside, this game was great.

carsales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 carsales
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts
If your going to use it as a gaming console only then, You'll be dissapointed, the 360 at the moment is much better. But to get an Idea of how great the systems going to be just play the gthd demo, It's beautiful. I currently use my ps3 for more of a bluray player than anythig else.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts

I'm becoming more and more interested in the PS3... Lair really impressives me... Not so much technically, but in the graphics style - The way they'vebuilt the that cinematic slow-mo into turning on whenever the player, well... "Pwns"... It's TRULY next-generation. I love it. The sense of scale is great too... Anyway, questions.

I've never played MGS... What does it play like? Is it really worth buying the system?

MGS plays like Splinter Cell expect with a much better storyline and the gameplay is better imo atleast ...

Is the interface like the PSP's? Is it cumbersome or rather smooth-working? (I like that Sony went for a certain high-end "look" throughout the PS3's phsycial design for example... but I care about functionality. It's physical apperance is great... Until you actually use it, and it becomes scratched and coated in fingerprints, like my buddy's...Unlike the 360. That's functionality in mind.)

The interface is just like PSP's - the XMB ( Xross Media Bar). Its easy to use and works well for most things, the only issues i have is when trying to scroll through somthing like 1000 songs it can be a pain to find the one your looking for ...

Controllers... Any more ergonomic than the PS2 Dualshock? Just a bit? Versus 360?

The controller is basically a PS2 Dualshock with - triggers for L2 / R2, MUCH better analog sticks(10 bit), PS button motion tilting and wireless -> So its better and its really just opinan as to weather 360's controller is better or PS3's is better

Hardware... Especially graphics and memory... Strengths and Weaknesses compared to 360... Admiting any losses.

Strengths - CELL allows for more onscreen at once / background stuff ...
- Potionally Graphically better althogh most games are about the same ...
- 60gb / (80gb in Korea only) standard HDD ( 20gb is discontinued)
Weakness
- XBl is better than PSN

When, do you think a PS3 game, besides UT3, will surpass Gears? (In order to fully judge "Gears", play on a 42", 1080p Plasma. Itruly still can't believe it... After about 1000 online slaughters.)

If you mean graphically for the eyes than i have no idea but games like Lair surpass GeOW from a technical graphics perspective ...

True exclusives... Big-name games like Gears or Halo... What's the PS3 have waiting?

Metal Gear Solid 4
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy verses XIII
Singstar + Eyetoy + Buzz ( for casuals / people whom like them )
etc ...

Umm other exclusives which should be awsome but arnt "huge" include

Rachet and Clank Future
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
Resistance 2
Warhawk
Little Big Planet
etc...

Thanks!

rosco_robinson

Answers are in red mate.

jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts
when someone says a controller is erginomic it makes me laugh, me being a product design can tell you now no controller is made to be "erginomic" take the 360 controller for example, the battery pack on the back, is that erginomic... nope the ps pads "triggers" fall to the same fate.
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
I own a 360 and a PS3. qith that said yeah Gears looks bad @ss on a 42 inch! and at the moment PS3 has no games that compare. but that will change Uncharted looks amazing! The Sixaxis comes off a bit ofa gimick it's not as hard core a the wii mote or anything but it works. Online is fun most people have head sets it seems and and it all works fine. maybe its not as deep as XBL but i really dont care as long i get to play online you know what i mean? i think both are great and if you enjoy one you will enjoy the other! but i wait till some biger games like Killzone,Uncharted heavnly sword and what not come out for the system. MGS4 will own and it's more of a story driven game so if watching cut sceens is not your thing (but tis a very good story) then you won't like not to mention if you dont go back and play MGS1,2,3 you will be a little lost when 4 does come out!
pnizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pnizz
Member since 2007 • 232 Posts

well theres 1 GAME besides all of those mentioned that will make any gamer buy a ps3 lol....NO not god of war 3

think about it..Time Crisis 4 + Gun Con 3...that game is going to do what the wii is doing now...expanding to all ages with fun games...personally I cant wait for this game...Watch Out Wii....

tomdevos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomdevos
Member since 2002 • 143 Posts
i moved from 360 to ps3 and one thing people forget that is a great plus is that you don't get the constant sound of a hoover whilst playing the ps3. The fan noise is way quieter than the 360.
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
The blu ray player and

well theres 1 GAME besides all of those mentioned that will make any gamer buy a ps3 lol....NO not god of war 3

think about it..Time Crisis 4 + Gun Con 3...that game is going to do what the wii is doing now...expanding to all ages with fun games...personally I cant wait for this game...Watch Out Wii....

pnizz

This is one reason I really want a PS3 also. The included blu ray player is probably the biggest selling point to me.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

Right now PS3 comes up short of 360 in every area, although still decent. But we all knew PS3 wouldn't be getting the games, the services, and full features until around this fall so any early adopters should've known what they were getting into. But what really mattters is what PS3 will have by the end of this holiday season. By the end of the year PS3 is going to be a kick ass system worthy of a purchase by any non-fanboy gamer. The price may drop soon so wait until at least Lair and Heavenly Sword to come out before buying one.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts
if you have never played MGS then MGS4 will blow you away
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
There is another thing that was never mentioned in this thread is the fact that you can buy your favorite PS2 or PS1 games and they actually will play better on the PS3. For instance after the 1.8 firmware update the graphics were so much better I deleted all my old saved game files just to play all of them over again with the improved video quality.
springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts
why do people say wait till the big games come out to get one?!?1/
you're gonna pay the same $599 you would in 6 months as u would NOW.
might as well get it now to have a fun summer.

im disregarding the price drop until they announce the date.  which will probably be this holiday season
Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

ok...sry but i can only answer ur controller question.....

i think the controller being very light is a huge advantage....cause its just so comfortable...although i like the feel of the xbox one a bit better, the ps3 one i can play for hours and my wrists wont get tired at all

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
Seriously, the MGS series is one of the best game series out there. They exceed almost all other games in any aspect, visualy, audio, presentation, gameplay. The controlls take a real long time to get used to, but soon enough you WILL realise they are the best controls for this game. But if you play the 4th game first, you will not understand it. you should buy first MGS 1-3 first, but they ,ost likely feel out dated for you, but you should play them to the end and youl love them.
foxbait95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxbait95
Member since 2005 • 694 Posts

MGS ownz You!

PS3 more reliable system.

BluRay ownz You!

360 controller a bit more comfortable.

Free online ownz You!

MGS ownz You!

Web Browser.

Exclusive Kill Zone 2 ( crosses fingers ) Heavenly sword , Lair , MGS ownz YOU! , Uncharted , Ratchet and Clank , Warhawk , White Knight , FF 13 , FF 13 verses , New Time Crisis , Haze ( timed exclusive ) , Home ( free ! ) , Eye of Judgement ...

who knows what they will show at E3 also so im sure its gonna grow.

P.S. MGS ownz You!